Bonfires

Albel

Well you can like it or not, but afk is the way this game is headed. People don't like grinding, so Jagex is removing that from the game. Combat might be an exception, because (if done right) it can be exciting. But there is nothing exciting about firemaking. Bonfires have made it less dull. For me, bonfires and runespan have added two more 200m skills I may be getting without paying attention to the game. I like it.

Why play a game when you're not going to pay attention to it?

Do you enter a game of COD and sit there holding your finger on the trigger while watching TV hoping someone would run into your line of fire? No. You actively participate in the game. Same concept should apply here.

People are no longer "playing" the game, they are simply rewarded with exp for logging on the Runescape.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can like it or not, but afk is the way this game is headed. People don't like grinding, so Jagex is removing that from the game. Combat might be an exception, because (if done right) it can be exciting. But there is nothing exciting about firemaking. Bonfires have made it less dull. For me, bonfires and runespan have added two more 200m skills I may be getting without paying attention to the game. I like it.

Do you enter a game of COD and sit there holding your finger on the trigger while watching TV hoping someone would run into your line of fire? No. You actively participate in the game. Same concept should apply here.

People are no longer "playing" the game, they are simply rewarded with exp for logging on the Runescape.

I get your point, but people see some skills (like firemaking) as very boring and repetitive while COD shouldn't be repetitive and boring at all. When fming you're constantly doing the same actions while when playing COD you are free to run around and try some things out.

rs2t.png

134 combat | +2200 total | player since June 2005

No offense, but they aren't doing shit to remove grind. They're just making the grind more bearable through the act of encouraging you not to pay attention while playing. I admit I've enjoyed my time of afk-skills to 99, but in no way do I think that they should make Runescape one huge afkable timedrain.

It is where skills seem to be going towards though.

I'd prefer it if they fixed the tediousness at the root instead of polishing the petals of the flower.

I get your point, but people see some skills (like firemaking) as very boring and repetitive while COD shouldn't be repetitive and boring at all. When fming you're constantly doing the same actions while when playing COD you are free to run around and try some things out.

Bringing up my point. I wish they would fix the boring and repetitiveness by adding more variety, instead of just keeping the boring/repetitiveness but masking it with a players ability to multitask.

Alright then, why bother training a skill when it's not fun?

Everyone seems to always jump at the point "RS is a game, not a job."

If you dislike an activity or skill, don't do it. you don't see my complaining about how Pest Control or Soul Wars is boring as heck? No, because i dislike it so i avoid it. It should be the same for skills.

And if it's Max/Comp Cape you're after, you should be willing to do something a little less fun for a great reward. Do you expect to go to work every day, sit behind your desk staring out the window and get a good salary at the end of every month? No, you go in, you do your shit whether you like it or not, and you get your reward.

Now before anyone calls me a hypocrite for comparing RS to work after just saying it isn't, the same can apply to any activity. You need to put in the exercise to stay fit. It's not just going to happen by sitting your fat ass on that couch. Yes, a certain degree of work might be required for certain skills (actually all of them require some degree of work, but some skills just require a bit more), but if you don't enjoy that, like i said stay away from them.

Sorry for my repetitiveness. it's been a long day.

Gower once said the main purpose of RS are the quests. The skills are there to make milestones for the quests. I'm not getting this argument that one should treat the skills as if they're an entity unto themselves (with maybe DG as an exception).

So instead of a click every second, people are doing a few clicks every 90 to 120 seconds. It's still playing the game. After all is said and done, the amount of character time spent on the skill is still the same. When the time comes to do the quests or DG or certain mini-games, then the attention can be there as well.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

The grind is necessary to separate achievements by a measure of time.

However I do agree that they could do much to remove the repetitiveness. You can't remove the time factor without ruining the game as a huge portion of the design is based around how long things take. But do more things like slayer and dungeoneering where there is variety. More like minigames (but don't make them into dead content, like moblising armies) They have to have intuitive control schemes, and useful rewards. Of course the problem is that human nature is to maximise the desired goal, while the game designer's nature is to maximise fun.

A player doesn't tend to think about what is fun, but rather what is the end goal. And it's *not their job* to do that. The game designer needs to figure out what's fun, and make the objectives match up with that. Don't fight human nature, ride along with it.

Dungeons are a great example: many (ofcourse not all) people find it incredibly enjoyable and not super repetitive. (Of course you find the overall aspect repetitive because you have to do it x number of times and so on, but its a lot less repetitive than bonfires for example)

Quests are great, but lack repeatability.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Unlike firemaking, playing COD is what some people might classify as "fun", and people can play it whenever they feel like it without paying a cent. Runescape has a subscription fee, and for that people force themselves to make their money's worth in gametime, even when it means they are merely performing boring, repetitive tasks.

crossed_body.png

Unlike firemaking, playing COD is what some people might classify as "fun", and people can play it whenever they feel like it without paying a cent. Runescape has a subscription fee, and for that people force themselves to make their money's worth in gametime, even when it means they are merely performing boring, repetitive tasks.

COD needs to be purchased, RS does not. There's your $6/m divided up into nearly 12 months.

Your argument is invalid.

Personally, this is just the way I like my RS. Secondly, CoD is a lot different. It's an action-packed shooter, while something like firemaking is hardly comparable. May be it is better to compare it to the new combat system, that will offer excitement and therefore grabs people's attention. Firemaking, again, will not. However, I do like my firemaking when I don't have to pay attention. You could say it is relaxing. Personally, this is also why I like afk rocktail fishing. And I'm not the only one.

We're comparing a (largely) console-based multiplayer FPS to a browser-based MMORPG.

They are both games though, are they not? It's not like it's an apples and oranges thing. More like green apples vs. red apples.

We're comparing a (largely) console-based multiplayer FPS to a browser-based MMORPG.

They are both games though, are they not? It's not like it's an apples and oranges thing. More like green apples vs. red apples.

Not quite. It's more like they are both fruits.

Apple and Pear (or orange, as you mention) if you will.

Comparing two console-based multiplayers fps games would be like comparing red apples to green ones.

We're now comparing a comparison of games with fruit.

Theres no going back now.

I actually think i forgot the point i was trying to make.

We're now comparing a comparison of games with fruit.

Theres no going back now.

I actually think i forgot the point i was trying to make.

I think it had something to do with choosing between eating apples or oranges while playing CoD.

Alright, I'll stop with going offtopic, and toss some more wood on the bonfire.

Personally I like Granny Smith apples the best.

I prefer those chinese applepears actually...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Are you freakin' crazy? Every one knows that Pink Ladies are the best.

Jeez.

All opponents of the Granny Smith apple are subject to a speedy euthanization.

They should have just called this Burn-X and tacked it into the patch notes with some other update.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Are you freakin' crazy? Every one knows that Pink Ladies are the best.

Jeez.

All opponents of the Granny Smith apple are subject to a speedy euthanization.

I like those giant juicy apples that are like a dollar a pop. UMMMMNOMNOM

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I prefer those chinese applepears actually...

Agreed, those things are the clear winner here.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

The Chinese Applepears are good, I used to love them, but then you realize that they're no good in a cheese fondue...