The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

True actually, never trust anything IVPex say.

...What could they possibly gain from canceling the event? :huh:

That was more of a generalisation, I was saying don't be surprised if they change the bonus event to be worth more than just 1 item unlock like they have previously stated. It's all the the hidden quotes above my last post :P

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

I doubt polypore can do a iron/steel dragon task faster then max str+cr+ yak of spec restore.

He didn't say it could. He said for him, it was better. If he wanted to skip, he obviously would have. I think the point has been made and at this point we're beating a dead horse.

Yes I misread his post as stating polypore is better then melee, versus what he actually said. My mistake.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Well, I'm actually a bit more happy about Royal Crossbow.

I thought the fact that it became 2H and lost it's unique bleeding effect would make it crap, turns out it didn't.

Tried QBD yesterday with 4 different setups

First was Royal crossbow, quick kill

Second was dual ccb without dragonbane bolts (cba to make). It was hell

Third was Gano + Arma Storm with arma bstaff, didn't manage to kill her, souls and grotworms have very high mage def and I splash on them a lot

Fourth was Gano + Arma Storm with Ahrim's wand and arcane, didn't manage to kill, same reason as above

Despite Royal crossbow being slower, it has a very high damage output, which makes up for the lack of shield (I also didn't use dreadnips or many titan scrolls on first kill cause I was still getting used to the keyboard smashing)

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

The problem is that, unless Jagex decides to loosen its strict tiering stance, royal crossbow is basically going to be a more expensive version of the swift gloves, without an ability.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The problem is that, unless Jagex decides to loosen its strict tiering stance, royal crossbow is basically going to be a more expensive version of the swift gloves, without an ability.

Wouldn't it be equally possible that the effects given back to the swift gloves will be nerfed in a similar fashion to make the tiering work when compared to the royal crossbow? Or am I completely off base here

hzvjpwS.gif

I thought the fact that it became 2H and lost it's unique bleeding effect would make it crap, turns out it didn't.

Third was Gano + Arma Storm with arma bstaff, didn't manage to kill her, souls and grotworms have very high mage def and I splash on them a lot

Fourth was Gano + Arma Storm with Ahrim's wand and arcane, didn't manage to kill, same reason as above

Despite Royal crossbow being slower, it has a very high damage output, which makes up for the lack of shield (I also didn't use dreadnips or many titan scrolls on first kill cause I was still getting used to the keyboard smashing)

Wait, you did that in the beta? I killed QBD multiple times in bandos and armadyl with little problem. :P

Wait, you did that in the beta? I killed QBD multiple times in bandos and armadyl with little problem. :P

I was trying different setups to see how they worked. The best one was royal (Although dual CCB was never tried with dragonbane bolts), and I never tried melee either

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I was trying different setups to see how they worked. The best one was royal (Although dual CCB was never tried with dragonbane bolts), and I never tried melee either

Yeah, unless they changed her since when I defeated her, she's much easier in the beta. I put her down with Blood and Ice Barrages in Virtus and again in Necromancer for shts n giggles.

2dgucz6.png

Little question that has been bugging me for a while, but what's gonna happen to the runes that will now have limited to no use in the EOC? As an example, there will be nearly no use for the mind rune after the update other than the Monster Examine spell.

22031_s.gif

Little question that has been bugging me for a while, but what's gonna happen to the runes that will now have limited to no use in the EOC? As an example, there will be nearly no use for the mind rune after the update other than the Monster Examine spell.

Mind runes already have limited to no use except for making magic arbitrarily expensive. Bloods and deaths will still be used for ancients which are the only really important ones in my opinion.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Then what's the point of even having mind runes in the game? They have to either go, or become obsolete content used only for one spell.

They honestly shouldn't even have runes since all it does is encourage people not to train magic. If you need to use magic stones to cast magic, then I'm sorry but you're not a mage.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Then what's the point of even having mind runes in the game? They have to either go, or become obsolete content used only for one spell.

They honestly shouldn't even have runes since all it does is encourage people not to train magic. If you need to use magic stones to cast magic, then I'm sorry but you're not a mage.

dY0mz.png

A bit late to remove runes. And what's wrong with needing runestones to cast magic? The game lore is based off of that fact.

Different games/movie's magic systems work differently.

I have also never felt discouraged to mage because of rune price; moreso because it is usually an inferior option.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

dY0mz.png

A bit late to remove runes. And what's wrong with needing runestones to cast magic? The game lore is based off of that fact.

Different games/movie's magic systems work differently.

I have also never felt discouraged to mage because of rune price; moreso because it is usually an inferior option.

Ugh. I think it's stupid to say 'you are not a mage if you need stones to cast magic'

Not all games have the same lore.

Not all fantasy worlds conform to the same rules of how magic works.

Runescape magic is built upon rune stones and the lore backs it up nicely, in that we don't have the ability/knowledge to access the energies of the world used to cast magic directly instead we capture the energy at nexus points into stones and then can release it using our skill as a mage to form spells; this is why higher spells generally require more runes because they are more complex to form.

As for general talk about mind rune being obsolete, rc being useless etc. It's not like Jagex can't give us new spells, for all we know we will get a quest shortly before/after EoC launches that gives us a whole new skill-based mage book or extensions to lunar or more curse type spells that use mind runes. Heck they could build a whole 'psychic' spell type around mind runes eg creating illusions/decoys, shapeshifting, possession. As for rc becoming less useful, tbh other than a few specific runes rc has never been hugely useful because shops and monster drops bring so many of most runes into the game anyway.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If you need to use magic stones to cast magic, then I'm sorry but you're not a mage.

I suggest you brush up on RuneScape lore. The whole point of the rune stone is that since humans were not capable of magic on their own, Guthix created rune stones to allow them to channel it in with training. When the God Wars ended, the rune supply had been drained and the gods had long since departed. Over time, the Freminik discovered that the Stone of Jas had left behind the essence stone, which they found could create runes.

So no, there are no humans capable of magic naturally, but that's the way the lore was written so both Jagex and the players now have to deal with it.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The removal of Polypore is a damn shame. How am I expected to Slay with Lunars permanently on? Without having to systematically abuse that Lunar Lodestone.

PS: Don't [bleep]ing recommend me that god awful 850K Produce Point, lvl 99 spell, 1-hour-of-Livid-Farm-per-1000-casts-which-also-forego-superior-DPS Borrowed Power.

PPS: Maybe the removal of Polypore Staff's inate spell was just a dastardly ploy to force people to play more Livid Farm?

They need to get rid of that necklace BS and just straight up unlock surge spells on Lunars once you do Livid Farm enough.

As for the magic runes discussion, one of the things I really like about the beta is making a lot of the spells cheaper so that newb players or non-rich players can train magic. I mean, at lvl 60 you buy a dragon weapon for 100k, which you can later sell. How far does 100k worth of magic runes get you?

Also makes me wonder if they'll release a smoke staff or something. Air + other elemental staff, making magic free to cast.

Also wonder about range. Range ammunition will be a lot more expensive then magic ammunition now I suspect. Especially at higher levels.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Divine Storm's supposedly the second best spell now (after SOA), and with an Armadyl Battlestaff you basically get free casting on top of 770 hit bonus. Of course emphasis on spell costs are a lot less now, with all your abilities not even requiring runes to use.

Level 60 and 70 Range are kind of strange, their bolts for those tiers are ruby (e) and diamond (e), but at tier 80 you get to play with royal bolts, which are incredibly cheap (for now).

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I'm worried about thrown weapons. Dragon darts are the highest atm, and that's kinda pathetic.

I've read a few suggestions that would turn swift gloves into level 80 thrown weapons (Rather than an invisible Royal crossbow), hopefully they pay attention to those.

There are still lots of gaps in ranged and magic.

As for general talk about mind rune being obsolete, rc being useless etc. It's not like Jagex can't give us new spells, for all we know we will get a quest shortly before/after EoC launches that gives us a whole new skill-based mage book or extensions to lunar or more curse type spells that use mind runes. Heck they could build a whole 'psychic' spell type around mind runes eg creating illusions/decoys, shapeshifting, possession. As for rc becoming less useful, tbh other than a few specific runes rc has never been hugely useful because shops and monster drops bring so many of most runes into the game anyway.

There hasn't been any mention about what is happening with all of the obsolete/useless runes. As it stands right now in the beta (correct me if I'm wrong), some runes have very limited uses, and no major spell groups have been added (abilities don't count).

To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind seeing runes get taken out of the game, and instead runecrafting is turned into an enchanting skill of sorts. It would make sense as an "advance in technology" kind of update.

22031_s.gif

To be quite honest, I wouldn't mind seeing runes get taken out of the game, and instead runecrafting is turned into an enchanting skill of sorts. It would make sense as an "advance in technology" kind of update.

It would have to be one hell of a quest to smoothly remove the runes from the culture of man in this Age as well as their dependency on them - and then whatever miraculous change that is would have to be a world-wide event that would suddenly allow the human race to work magic without runes.

I personally don't think it can be done, or will be done, within our "play-lifetimes." There's no real point. Such a revolutionary change would be the start of a new Age, and we're already lining up one to start with the climax of re-emerged Elder Gods etc.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

It would have to be one hell of a quest to smoothly remove the runes from the culture of man in this Age as well as their dependency on them - and then whatever miraculous change that is would have to be a world-wide event that would suddenly allow the human race to work magic without runes.

I personally don't think it can be done, or will be done, within our "play-lifetimes." There's no real point. Such a revolutionary change would be the start of a new Age, and we're already lining up one to start with the climax of re-emerged Elder Gods etc.

We can already infuse staves with the power of runes, and we can already infuse items with runes, why not infuse staves with spells? I know we're off-topic here, but I can see it feasible and not game-breaking at all to restructure RCing into an enchanting skill, then incorporate staff-imbuing into it. Extra spells not covered by the staff could be covered by tablets instead.

22031_s.gif

We can already infuse staves with the power of runes, and we can already infuse items with runes, why not infuse staves with spells? I know we're off-topic here, but I can see it feasible and not game-breaking at all to restructure RCing into an enchanting skill, then incorporate staff-imbuing into it. Extra spells not covered by the staff could be covered by tablets instead.

That is a pretty big refactor, especially since I'd want to see every imbuing that is done in magic be moved into runecrafting.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014