The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

been avoiding beta and hoping to get a few more things done before it came out. Have they gotten the mb ussage down under 500mb an hr if anyone knows? If not i got two weeks to find a new game to play :sad:

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

been avoiding beta and hoping to get a few more things done before it came out. Have they gotten the mb ussage down under 500mb an hr if anyone knows? If not i got two weeks to find a new game to play :sad:

Wow, can anyone confirm this? I simply can't use that much data per hour on runescape.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

Wow, can anyone confirm this? I simply can't use that much data per hour on runescape.

I only noticed huge data burns during beta weekend events when there were hundreds of people spamming abilities. It will still use more, but shouldn't be too bad if you keep to yourself.

I bloody hope you're right. But I'm not especially optimistic about this.

Me too and not for the sake of being right either. I can sympathize, coming from a non-Completionist standpoint, about not being able to do an impossible quest. For now though, and I would say the same, jagex will most likely tell players wishing to complete it to hold on for it to be patched soon. Their mindset must be to coffee as much content as possible and fix the biggest "broken" things before the EOC is released. The rest is pretty much tightening up the nuts and bolts or adding more support to the chassis.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Just imagine all the max cash dupe, graphical glitches and duel arena bugs that are going to come out of this update!

... I sure hope this beta actually did something...

Recently came back to RS after around a 2 year break with the occasional login for the EoC!

I used about 1000 bytes/second during peak usage according to Jagex's inbound and outbound data rates. This is about 130-135 hours of in-game time to use 500 megabits of data.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I used about 1000 bytes/second during peak usage according to Jagex's inbound and outbound data rates. This is about 130-135 hours of in-game time to use 500 megabits of data.

Mmm I had around about the same rates, if anything the EoC seems to be slightly lower data rates than live game for me, not like a huge amount, but slightly.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

EoC is horribly unfinished, why are they rushing it out so soon? :|

• Like 1

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

They've obviously become completely oblivious or simply decided to half ass it(I know the sentiment, I have had school assignments that I hated for which I put in a ramshackle effort and just wanted to hand them in as soon as I could). Whatever the case may be, the attitude is deeply irresponsible and completely unfitting for a project of this magnitude. If they are unable to treat it seriously, they shouldn't stay signed on to introduce such a large change. Anyone who has actually spent any amount of measurable in the beta and isn't completely out of touch or delusional knows that there is a myriad of small and large problems which merit serious discussion with regards to the solution before one can even begin to act on them. That some people in this thread and in Jagex HQ seriously are of the mind that they could be fixed in the next 2 weeks is ridiculous. That's not even enough time to detect them, much less fix them. I am of the mind that they have deluded themselves into thinking that everything's fine so they can just hand it in, why else box themselves into such a strict and impossible deadline, retreating from what was initially a very reasonable and prudent deadline(sometime 2013)? Also, even a cursory glance on the RSOF, or forums and fansites like Tip.it, or talking to players in-game would reveal instantly that people do not agree with them on this -- they should do the due diligence that is necessary for this project. Not just for the players, or the money, but for the sake of the integrity of their own hard work that they have imbued this project with(and make no mistake about it, they have worked hard on this, it's an unprecedented project), they owe it to themselves and their efforts to treat this with the respect and seriousness it deserves.

• Like 1

I am in agreement with you. I feel things are still rushed and that they won't get fixed in that two week span. But I go along with it all the same with best interests, hopeful thoughts and eagerness to explore the content whether it be perilous or not.

A lot of people speak in context that the problems that do exist won't be addressed. You'll endure hardships from this because you are a post-EOC veteran. You'll find your way, learn new pitfalls and how to avoid them just like you did when you first started playing runescape.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I need to do some serious charm collecting before EOC comes out..

I have a gut feeling that something is off here. I don't understand why they would rush it like this, I mean if anything, jagex is known to take things slooooooooooww, why the hurry now? The conspiracy theorist in me wants to yell out that something is wrong. Are they expecting a big player base loss in the near future which they think they can compensate with EOC? (say bot nuke please) If that was the cas,e then they could come out with EOC tomorrow for all I care.

purekilljoy.png

Aha, so the update is nigh upon us.

I haven't played the beta enough to judge its balance or whether it's ready, but I have to admit I dread the update.

My main use of combat is while slaying and dging. Combat-heavy at a reasonable difficulty level for lengthy periods of time. In these circumstances, I don't like how the adrenaline system turns into a spam clickfest. There are far too many abilities, the tabs within tabs are messy and confusing. I like that there's momentum, but I'm not sure if it's really the right answer to this problem. Feels like a quick fix tbh.

I also fear that the multi-combat set-up will turn slayer into even more of a dog eat dog business in order to get kills.

I feel like I actually forgot to post...

I am a bit uneasy with the timeline because, whether you like what you see in the beta or not, the EOC is objectively not yet finished. There are things in it that I sincerely hope are not working correctly, and I am not exactly confident that what will be released will be in full working order (I fully expect something will need to be patched within hours).

After release, I fight in dungeons, for quests, and for my own enjoyment. I don't have any more combat goals past the next two range levels.

Because dung is so... Broke? - its actually going to see an update alongside this with the new bind system. After all its a fairly easy fix both conceptually and in coding. What gives my beliefs strength is how much dung is hinged on this fix and that they had a few really good working ideas for patching this EOC legacy issue.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

What's got my head scratching is why so soon? It's not "ready" by anyone's standard. Even those people who want EOC deployed say it isn't ready. They have to KNOW it isn't ready. So, why do it now?

Obviously, the only logical conclusion is that they feel it has to be in place because something else is in development and EOC needs to be in place for it. Right? Or am I leaping to conclusions?

What's coming in behind it that they needed to put EOC into play in two weeks time?

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

While I do really ewnjoy EoC, its definatly not ready yet, articulary Quest fights who require special attacks, like the Dorghesshunn series and pest queen.

And they do need to step up some monster's abilities, like someone already said about Hellhounds, Let me add Dark Beasts, Gargoyles and Giant Mole.

I think they are gona release EoC so early because there are not enough people testing it due to it not giving any real benefit for current RS, so they are going Live and players will provide more feedback.

Maybe they didn't get enough feedback from the beta and decided to force the players to give more feedback by launching EOC prematurely.

Well there is this, to be sure. I logged into beta last night, for the first time in months, to do the "tutorial" -- which I found brutal. Although part of that was probably due to the lag I was getting because one of my kids was downloading the entire Internet last night. <_<

Still -- there was a lot of people just standing around doing nothing.

The previous time I logged into beta, all that anyone was doing was buying and selling phats ...

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

What's got my head scratching is why so soon? It's not "ready" by anyone's standard. Even those people who want EOC deployed say it isn't ready. They have to KNOW it isn't ready. So, why do it now?

Obviously, the only logical conclusion is that they feel it has to be in place because something else is in development and EOC needs to be in place for it. Right? Or am I leaping to conclusions?

That is mostly correct. You have to remember that the longer Evolution of Combat is in development, the longer Jagex has to develop two versions of their content, to be consistent with both versions of the game. With how much EoC changes, it'd almost be as if Jagex were developing RuneScape and Classic side by side. Corporate could have also told them to hurry up, as Google is one of the few companies who want their products in beta for multiple years.

Another idea that has already been polled here is that Jagex wants organic testing. Not just people who are in the game to methodically pick out bugs and inconsistencies, but you get much better feedback when a lot more people are just playing the game to play it and stumble across bugs that way.

• Like 1

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I like that term "organic testing"... There has always been an unnamed concept in the back of my head that pits "how things are in real world" versus how things are in the test realm. Its almost like they used the beta to test the viability of the material and now they are launching it live to test the players actual willpower (I wanted to use the term "sheepish nature")/

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I know it's not finished, but I'm just ready for it to be here already. Combat on both live and beta has felt so pointless knowing the EoC was impending. Maybe when EoC is no longer in beta they'll be quicker to fix all of the small issues that make the game feel so broken on the whole...

I hope so as well. Then we would finally get rid of a lot of complaints as well...

Just 12 days left now :D

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak