The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

The "organic testing" theory is nice, but it simply doesn't hold up, the beta isn't even sufficiently developed that we could do that. It simply has far too many things that are not ready for it released live. What will happen is what has always happened: lots of glitchy stuff. As for the notion about having to develop 2 Runescapes, while I acknowledge that it takes a lot of effort, they knew, or should have known that this project would by definition entail that. All they have to do is add any live updates to the beta simultaneously (at the same time as they added to the real RS) and it should be fine. Besides, we haven't really gotten any major updates for a while, it's mostly been filler content or seasonal stuff like Bonus Weekends/Events, it isn't as if they are going to have to do too much work in that area.

With regards to not enough feedback, I don't quite agree, I think there's been a ton of feedback, the fact that they are insisting on forcing this upon us prematurely despite the overwhelming response to develop it further, shows that they are actually disregarding the feedback. There's the problem that players have kind of gotten bored of testing the beta and have gone back to RS live and the beta worlds have been deserted, but that's easily fixable, all they half to do is raise the incentives. What beta testing is, it's basically free labour, the least they can do is give some decent incentives to make it worthwhile; otherwise, people will simply, quite rightly, view any extensive testing as a waste of time and leave. I mean there's a whole bunch of options to get feedback. They don't have to pay us in dollars, perhaps neat outfits; Runecoins; spins; RS GP; the possibilities are endless(I am aware of the mad scientist outfit, but that alone is hardly enough to allure us into doing free extensive testing for them). They have proven themselves to be pretty resourceful with their Bonus Weekends/Amulets/Spins as of late, surely they should be willing to dish out some of that for this(I mean they certainly dish it out when their bottom line is concerned). They can't expect people to devote large amounts of time for nothing. Either way, it's no excuse to thrust it prematurely.

been avoiding beta and hoping to get a few more things done before it came out. Have they gotten the mb ussage down under 500mb an hr if anyone knows? If not i got two weeks to find a new game to play :sad:

Wow, can anyone confirm this? I simply can't use that much data per hour on runescape.

I used about 1000 bytes/second during peak usage according to Jagex's inbound and outbound data rates. This is about 130-135 hours of in-game time to use 500 megabits of data.

will be great if they got it that low. I only played beta once during the cw event and hit 500mb/hr not including loading and havn't been back since because i cant afford that much of an increase.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

What's got my head scratching is why so soon? It's not "ready" by anyone's standard. Even those people who want EOC deployed say it isn't ready. They have to KNOW it isn't ready. So, why do it now?

Obviously, the only logical conclusion is that they feel it has to be in place because something else is in development and EOC needs to be in place for it. Right? Or am I leaping to conclusions?

That is mostly correct. You have to remember that the longer Evolution of Combat is in development, the longer Jagex has to develop two versions of their content, to be consistent with both versions of the game. With how much EoC changes, it'd almost be as if Jagex were developing RuneScape and Classic side by side. Corporate could have also told them to hurry up, as Google is one of the few companies who want their products in beta for multiple years.

Another idea that has already been polled here is that Jagex wants organic testing. Not just people who are in the game to methodically pick out bugs and inconsistencies, but you get much better feedback when a lot more people are just playing the game to play it and stumble across bugs that way.

Those are good points. To be sure, I have been speculating in-game, for some time now, that one of the reasons why the “live-game” has been so buggy, of late, is because of Jagex’s divided attentions …

I wonder too, if perhaps the beta version has simply begun too expensive “not” to deploy now? I mean, it’s come to that point in time where they’ve committed so many resources to it that it’s finally reached the threshold where they can no longer afford to keep it shelved any longer?

nyuseg.png

Unless the content people feel is missing will be added in the EoC update. It's quite normal for betas not to contain everything. I don't really know enough to make a sophisticated comment, but from the reaction here I'm guessing a lot of it's missing, though.

I really want to know if anyone could find the exp/h rates for ranging? And what method etc...

Tried searching this thread but to no avail.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I really want to know if anyone could find the exp/h rates for ranging? And what method etc...

In the beta, just about any method of ranging is good xp. I found out that dual crossbows are very good for xp, but I've tested that a while ago so things might've changed since then.

I suppose you could range + cannon if you wanted fast xp.

terravir.png

In the beta, just about any method of ranging is good xp. I found out that dual crossbows are very good for xp, but I've tested that a while ago so things might've changed since then.

I specifically means chinning, ranging at ease.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I did a bit of testing to try to gauge effective armour values because Jagex absolutely refuses to release proper stats for the equip interface.

I tanked out vyrelords, because I'm lazy I used samples of 100 attacks (but will look into getting larger samples some other time).

With a total of 799 armour, 722 from ranged class items and 77 from all class items, I took 20 hits from the vyrelords.

With a total of 722 armour, purely from ranged class, I took 7 hits.

What.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I specifically means chinning, ranging at ease.

Since protection prayers are no longer 100%, and soul split has heal limit, I'm not sure if chinning is a viable training method anymore...

Certainly not for lower level players, anyway.

Since people have been complaining about the removal of weapon specific special attacks, what about making abilities that require a specific weapon type to be equipped?

For example Flurry would require claws (bronze to dragon) equipped, the stun ability requires wielding a spear, berserk requires a battleaxe.

Obviously they would all share the same cooldown.

Same thing would happen with different mage/range/spells/ammo ETC.

• Like 1

I did a bit of testing to try to gauge effective armour values because Jagex absolutely refuses to release proper stats for the equip interface.

I tanked out vyrelords, because I'm lazy I used samples of 100 attacks (but will look into getting larger samples some other time).

With a total of 799 armour, 722 from ranged class items and 77 from all class items, I took 20 hits from the vyrelords.

With a total of 722 armour, purely from ranged class, I took 7 hits.

What.

You already have enough data to show that accuracy with 799 is greater than with 722.

13.4 - 26.6 vs 2.80 - 11.2

5% chance it could be outside the error range, but I think the difference is enough to make that a non-issue.

I am really surprised they didn't add those. But I think they wanted to avoid weapon switching midfight. That could be solved by just not allowing armor change during combat....

I think part of why they are releasing, is that they've held off on things like Ports, and the new dungeons they alluded to. They couldn't release some of that until EoC goes live, so they wanted to release it sooner rather than later.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

so, heads up to anybody wanting to fight giant bats for some reason: you will not be able to hit them with melee at all

also they shoot fireballs

Combat triangle at it's finest, use range and they fall quickly.

They are probably magic based to accentuate the batwing set.

oh yeah, the bigger heads up

all dragons use magic attacks and long range dragonfire now, so uh, just do what you do with mithril dragons, but bring ranged instead

bots are gonna be interesting for a while

8f14270694.jpg

I sold my bandos and bought veracs, was that a good choice, or should I buy it back?

For now, it's a good choice, but they might buff GWD gear later though.

I'm guessing (or hoping) they'll announce it this Sunday during the stream. Make no sense to turn God Wars into dead content especially after that rework.

rohanlord.png