The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Bosses are immune to stun but not to holding spells like Entangle. You can bind them for 40 seconds in place which is awesome.

Asphyxiate + metamorphosis is overpowered... hits for more than 2,500 damage every 2 seconds. If you're maging a boss, make you sure you start the off in meta form whilst all your abilities are off cooldown. If a boss is very low on health, don't use any ultimate abilities and keep your adrenaline at full. Use preparation on cooldown so you don't leave combat and thus don't lose any adrenaline.

Am I just awesome or is range seriously overpowered? I've been raging in the duel arena today and seem to be able to easily kill level 200 mages and without serious difficultly take down level 200 meleers (though harder if they have some reasonable level of button mashing know how). It's not even like I'm very good at the whole abilities shebang I basically just mash a few defensive abilities and a couple of basic abilities then just threshold and ultimate them until dead.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Am I just awesome or is range seriously overpowered? I've been raging in the duel arena today and seem to be able to easily kill level 200 mages and without serious difficultly take down level 200 meleers (though harder if they have some reasonable level of button mashing know how). It's not even like I'm very good at the whole abilities shebang I basically just mash a few defensive abilities and a couple of basic abilities then just threshold and ultimate them until dead.

I've actually found Ranged to be very underwhelming. I've fought a ton of rangers as a mage and I always win from them. I guess it really depends on how good you are with your abilities.

Meatmorphosis still only increases your damage by 25%. At least for normal hits. I thought they increased it to 50%.

Edit II: wow, Torment makes a TINY difference. I hit 342 max without an overload and Torment and 356 with only Torment on? Dat 0,4% difference.

Ya, turmoil sucks because of how max hit is calculated now:

Level*Prayer + Weapon Damage

Your max will only increase by 15% of your strength level, so at 99 strength/magic/ranged, that's a boost of 14.

So since I can't seem to tell the difference is it better to use storm of armadyl with the staff or fire surge with a virtus wand/book or a shield of some kind. This is without access to chaotic equipment.

Using melee sword+shield I can deal with rangers rather easily in the Duel Arena. One thing people need to use more is freedom and the melee dash/stun move. Freedom breaks you out of bind, stun and DoT. Great for getting out of a bind and negating nasty the nasty bleed of slaughter. The dash (think it's "barge" or something) ignores any movement impediments and stuns the opponent. Great to deal with bind-shot rangers and getting you in there face ASAP.

The combat triangle is very pronounced, but knowing what you're actually doing is a big necessity in PvP combat and can help you fight against the rock-paper-scissors elements.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

The abilities are pretty fun when bossing haven't really tried pvp much because I've never really have fun doing it. I still wish they would make all bosses at least have the option to be instanced for solo bossing. I like it in beta but I just don't see myself ever really doing much combat after beta.

So does strength do anything besides give you new abilities?

Yes. Each strength level boosts your max hit by 1. Amazing, I know.

I know they have their whole "crusade against pures" going on, but that's no excuse for making our skills have almost no impact on combat outside of gear and talents.

I know they have their whole "crusade against pures" going on, but that's no excuse for making our skills have almost no impact on combat outside of gear and talents.

Ok now... That comment is completely false and who ever told you that is full of shit. Jagex clearly stated they wanted combat system of the game to require more skill. Being the master of game tick timing when gear switching, eating/brewing, potting up and prayer flashing has always reaked of being a legacy issue for a long time because something so simplistic should not be deamed end-game knowledge. Now this might require some skill that partly lies mostely on you're computers speed and you're familarity with the game ticks I'll give you that. Jagex wants their players to have combat skills based around abilities in combat not some forknowledge of game-tick-ology.

Also faking you're real combat level by stunting the growth of one skill and pumping you're efforts into several others is crap. That is another legacy issue because defense should play a much bigger role in combat than what it currently does.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

One thing that annoys me is I can't use the melee abilities if the target is running from me. This is especially frustrating regarding the 2 stuns, kick & backhand.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Did Castle Wars yesterday for the Beta gear, and it seemed to be an absolute Flustercluck. I enjoy PvM in the beta, but PvP seems to be all about who can click what at the right time.

The lag at Castle Wars with several people piling using ultimates didn't help the experience.

Also faking you're real combat level by stunting the growth of one skill and pumping you're efforts into several others is crap. That is another legacy issue because defense should play a much bigger role in combat than what it currently does.

Or they could've just made defence reduce damage passively to an adequate extent with armor reducing it further. Pures will find some other way to manipulate the combat formula, you can't stop that.

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Do you have to take part in next weekends event to get a part of the outfit?

Yes.

It's 4 weekends for all 5 parts.

This weekend unlocked 1 part.

Next 3 weekends will unlock 1,1,2 (in some combo)

Presumably the double unlock will be gloves/boots but hard to know since they aren't giving out the items until after all 4.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

RuneShark Live: Beta Bosses

Join the devilishly handsome duo of Simon and James of RuneShark YouTube fame as they stream live a number of boss fights directly from the Combat Beta for this weekend's Beta Event! You will not need to view this or take part in order to be eligible for the Mad Scientist beta outfit but you will get a chance to watch some pros take down the bosses without the stress or the strain!

[qfc]307-308-7-63855423[/qfc]

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

RuneShark Live: Beta Bosses

Join the devilishly handsome duo of Simon and James of RuneShark YouTube fame as they stream live a number of boss fights directly from the Combat Beta for this weekend's Beta Event! You will not need to view this or take part in order to be eligible for the Mad Scientist beta outfit but you will get a chance to watch some pros take down the bosses without the stress or the strain!

[qfc]307-308-7-63855423[/qfc]

You don't have to do THAT event, but that isn't the 'featured' event for the coming weekend (which is yet to be posted). It is just a Runeshark thing Jagex are plugging that happens to be at the weekend.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Great I'll be missing next weekends event. :( but ah sure it is only a few items

From what Jagex said, you need to attend all four to get the suit, so if you miss one you miss it all. :?

Maybe find someone you trust to log in for you?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Great I'll be missing next weekends event. :( but ah sure it is only a few items

From what Jagex said, you need to attend all four to get the suit, so if you miss one you miss it all. :?

Account sharing!1!111!oneshift!1!11!

Yeah I probably would do that same to be honest. I'm not a big fan of the steampunk outfit, but I'm going to get it anyways... I already skipped the cryptic cluefest crap and the eggsterminator.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think that is untrue based on the fact they said you unlock a different part each weekend and for doing cwars this weekend you got 'congratulations you have unlocked part of the beta reward outfit in the live game' message in chat box (or roughly that wording) the implication being each weekend has a specific reward and that missing a weekend just misses that part.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Does anyone know if its still considered to be against RS rules to be logged into the Beta and the live game? Is it even possible?

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Does anyone know if its still considered to be against RS rules to be logged into the Beta and the live game? Is it even possible?

I don't think so as beta has no actual long term stay and is purely for testing of future LIVE content. I think it might not let you because I get the "you've just left this world" message before when leaving one for the other.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png