The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

[qfc]302-303-95-63828954[/qfc]

Can't even view the forum, stupid limited access to Beta and not letting us see the 'special' Beta forums :/

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

[qfc]302-303-95-63828954[/qfc]

Can't even view the forum, stupid limited access to Beta and not letting us see the 'special' Beta forums :/

Yea I agree, that is annoying. I wish they would at least just let us read the forum, even if they don't allow us to post or create new threads. It would be nice to be able to track the beta and see what is going on.

• Like 2

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

Yes. Someone asked if there was a quick-find code for that post. I found it :)

Thanks, was hoping it would be somewhere public. I can't view it either :(

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

todays update:

Beta update: 13/07/12

Auto Vs Ability damage

Auto attack damage vs Ability damage has been redistributed. You should find you are far more effective if you want to follow a less intensive combat route. Clicking and waiting should result in far faster kill rates that previously' date=' bringing them closer in line with the existing game.

As a side effect of this we have now separated the auto attack and ability delays meaning you cannot do both at once (previously your auto attack damage always occured in the background). Now if you use abilities, you have to wait as your weapon's attack rate before it will begin auto attacking again if you wish to go from higher intensity combat to lower intensity. Use of abilities in combat will still result in faster kill times.

The only exception to the above is that ultimate abilities won't delay auto attacks to replicate how players use special attacks in the existing system.

Levels and Items

Your levels, weapon and armour obviously factor into how you hit/be hit. The weighting they contribute has been shifted following a lot of feedback regarding difficulty fighting/being hit. You should now notice a shift in this. We have also used this to address the issue with shields being considered overpowered. Having a shield will still give you advantage, but it shouldn't be as large as it was previously.

XP:

Following player feedback and monitoring kill rates we've decided to remove the XP nerf for being 30 levels away. You should now get full XP for any kill you make. Furthermore we've increased the rates in beta dramatically following some key calculations being a bit off. This should also effect Slayer, bringing the Slayer XP per monster inline with what you'd expect.

Expect bosses to be giving quite a lot of XP for now. We will monitor and reduce as necessary.

Targetting (Advanced users)

We always planned to have this ready for release but we've now managed to finish the first version of our targetting system. This allows you to pick a target when out of combat, to open with abilities (such as barge and snipe which work best on an target you want to surprise). Targetting now functions as follows:

You can press the [ and ] keys to scroll through NPC targets (not rebindable for now). If you are in a PvP zone it will also include players in the checks and target if applicable. It won't target someone you are already targetting and you WONT auto-retaliate against something that isn't your target if it is attacking you. We'll monitor feedback on this but hope this allows for some smooth gameplay such as the following example:

-Fighting the corporeal beast, a dark core spawns. You can hit ] to target it, quickly shoot "binding shot" to stun it, then ] to re-target the corporeal beast with little downtime.

As part of this we've also removed the dreadnip interface/targetting side panel. Dreadnips first click option will instantly deploy against your current TARGET. So again, if I am fighting NPC A I can quickly use ] to target NPC B, Deploy the dreadnip (which will go after NPC B) whilst I press ] to retarget and carry on fighting NPC A.

Targetting will show a small arrow pointing diagonally above your current target. When you engage this target it will disappear (to maintain the look of the live game). If you target whilst it combat it should appear on a different target (if there are more targets in the area) for you to switch targets quickly.

This is only the first iteration of the targetting system. Expect it to get smoother as we continue to work on it.

Dungeoneering:

Dungeoneering is now less strict about combat triangle hitchance enforcement. This should help resolve issues solo players were having with coming up against something that was incredibly strong vs their attack style.

To help bring magic in dungeoneering in line with where we expected (damage and accuracy) All "Generic" staffs in dungeoneering - for example the gravecreeper basic staff now count as omni-elemental staffs to make magic more accessible in Dungeoneering and solve an issue we had with limited elemental staffs in Dungeoneering.

Other changes:

● All boss monsters have also been given minimum hitchances.

● The "Snapshot" ability is now availble for duel wielders or single ranged weapon users. It was previously locked to 2handed ranged weapons. In a response to rangers needing more abilities we have decided to allow this ability (and rapid fire in the future) to be non-weapon locked.

● Rapid fire has been updated so it fires more... rapidly. It's damage per hit has been toned down to account for it's new speed.

● All "Combo" attacks (attacks which you can click and they do multiple hits over time) will now start instantly. Previously you had to wait a second or two before abilities such as Flurry, Axphyxiate and Unload began but they will now begin immediately. Stunning your opponent to stop a combo ability should still function as expected.

● The "Hit and miss" spark effects were stopping some more awesome impact effects (Such as omnipowers impact) from playing on the target. The way this works has been refactored so they should now show.

● Staff spell damage buff was incorrect and too low. This has been increased to our expected value.

● Drops from bosses weren't acting as expected and hence not giving a drop. This should now be resolved.

● Barrows passive attacks (Such as guthans healing effect) should now function as expected

● Some Slayer helmets were un-statted and have been updated

● 2handed crossbows were mis-statted and have been updated

● Frost dragons should now have initial stats in place and be considerably more challenging

● Fire vs ice strykewyrms should be much more effective now. (this will be rolled out to Glacors next)

● Dark beasts attack code has been updated to make them do expected damage outputs.

● Reflection in PvP was showing the wrong players headbar, making it look like your opponent had your health

Boss changes:

The corporeal beast has been looked at. You can now use stunning attacks to prevent the darkcore from attacking. Be sure to plan this carefully with your teamates whilst your stun is on cooldown to keep him under control! Prayer drain in this fight has also been modified to mimic live behaviour.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Thank you!

What does the DG update mean for my celestial staff >_>

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

All todays beat tweaks and le pwn.

Targetting system sounds awesome, and hopefully will only improve.

Auto-attack fix sweet.

Xp nerf gone and xp values upped sweet.

Shields overpowerness dropped sweet

Staff damage buff upped sweet.

Tweaking dg cmb triangle reliance sweet.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hopefully this means that ability spamming is slowed down a little... And thank god for finally fixing the dreadnips! That targeting system really needs to be worked into summoning too (switch targets, click attack, switch back)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

targeting system sounds useful, but clunky in its current implemntation. will look foward to a more finished version.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

So... I can't actually use the targeting system without manually changing my keyboards keys. [ and ] are additions to 8 and 9 on my keyboard, and i allready use those for abilities.

Overall the updates seem good.

So... I can't actually use the targeting system without manually changing my keyboards keys. [ and ] are additions to 8 and 9 on my keyboard, and i allready use those for abilities.

I would've thought that the key would be defined by the usual location (rather than which key it is literally on) since standard UK and Us qwerty and azerty all have [ and ] at the end of the first line of letters on the same key as { and }.

I mean my keyboard where the tild isn't on the usual tild key (next to 1) the button next to 1 still opens dev console.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I would've thought that the key would be defined by the usual location (rather than which key it is literally on) since standard UK and Us qwerty and azerty all have [ and ] at the end of the first line of letters on the same key as { and }.

I mean my keyboard where the tild isn't on the usual tild key (next to 1) the button next to 1 still opens dev console.

The spot they would be on if my keyboard was a uk/us keyboard has "å" and " ¨ ". Guess since you can't type while using hotkeys it should work. Will try once I can get on in a few minutes. I'd like them to roll out the rebindable feature for them soon either way.

This update so full of win! They did a really good job listening to feedback.

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

Mmmm, like I thought. Norwegian keyboards can't switch targets without right-clicking the microscopic minimize button on the action bar and clicking "Next / Previous Target" there. :(

Sound effects (especially for magic) still stink. I'd really like more visual or audio effects to cue me in on when I actually hit or miss. Right now, there's a lot of chirping and wooshing and kapows, but I think a simple icon to show when your spell misses (like, I don't know, some sort of blue shield-like thing) would really help me understand what the [bleep] is going on.

Also, protect prayers seem to work a lot better now. I was praying range against dagannoths under the lighthouse (trust me, you'll need prayer now) and they were only hitting up to 1 damage.

Targeting sounds interesting, but definitely needs work. You can't target specific monsters or anything, just mash the button till you get what you want. I'd also like to have the monster I click on count as my "target" before my autocast spell fires off. Especially with a slow staff this becomes very frustrating. I click a monster and have to wait before I can use any abilities; they just give me that "YOU HAVE NO TARGET" bullshit.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Ahhhh ok, I thought you wanted a visual recording heh. Yea, that's no problem I'll try to make it as accurate as possible I've got a gargoyle task with enough left that I should be able to get 500 hits out of it.

"And with the first round rapture draft pick, God selects...... Macho Man Randy Savage ohhhh yeaaah brother!"