The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Magic potions seem to boost damage by 29 per level now. The damage boost isn't capped at level 106 anymore, either.

Staves get a 225% damage boost over wands on monsters. 50% on players.

Staves now boost your damage with abilities.

Divine Storm is the most powerful spell in terms of damage per hit. I've hit 2635 with it, and that was without Torment.

Wave spells deal more damage than Surge spells.

Barrage spells deal a lot less damage. 1644 max. This is fair, in my opinion, because it's an AoE spell. I don't know about Burst spells.

Gale Blitz does the most damage out of the Blitz spells for some reason.

Now imagine Divine Storm, under metamorphosis form, using Asphyxiate. Lol. I'll try it out later on, on a boss.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've tried to do it without any armor/weapson/boosts/prayers on the gargoyle task...sounds quite easy until it's attempted all of the npcs have had their attacks and hps as well as max hits scaled up so without any armor and 99 hp not pots/prayer I lasted all of 6 rounds of combat before being Ko'd during that 6 rounds of combat "a round being a punch thrown" all of my hits were 0s/miss

"And with the first round rapture draft pick, God selects...... Macho Man Randy Savage ohhhh yeaaah brother!"

Whats this weekends costume event?

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Ok cheers.

Just spent an hour at waterfiends out of curiosity.

Setup: Full Pernix, CCB, EEKS, Kiln Cape, Fury, Berserker (i) using Rune Bolts

99 Range using Anguish and Overloads.

Results: 180k Range Experience and 141 Crimson Charms

Barely needed food used 1 rocktail for the whole trip and could of easily gained the health back with soul split or a defensive ability. I was using abilities at a relaxed rate, as in I wasn't spamming basics and then thresholds to quickly reach an ultimate bladebla I was using the occasional basic and threshold allowing my adrenaline bar to generally fill up from auto attacks and then unleashing an ultimate when full.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Steel dragons give about 1k slayer xp/kill o_O

Took me about 25 seconds to kill one with chaotic staff, divine storm, steel titan, ovls, and torment. Asphyxiate was basically an insta-kill whenever I chose to use it.

I was in Kuradal's dungeon btw...

-Does anybody know if the ferocious ring's damage boost works in beta?

-Is there any way to get cannonballs in beta besides making them yourself?

77yLQy8.png

Chaotic staff is still useless, though. Polypore staff has the same hit bonus (800) and has 5 Prayer bonus. Also, the chaotic staff degrades.

Asphyxiate is capped at 5,000. Most damage I've done with the ability in total has been around 17k haha

Hurray for more user friendly dreadnips! This update seems to be full of win.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I've tried to do it without any armor/weapson/boosts/prayers on the gargoyle task...sounds quite easy until it's attempted all of the npcs have had their attacks and hps as well as max hits scaled up so without any armor and 99 hp not pots/prayer I lasted all of 6 rounds of combat before being Ko'd during that 6 rounds of combat "a round being a punch thrown" all of my hits were 0s/miss

Yeah, I couldn't even survive against Al-kharid warriors (level 26) without armor/food. For all the unarmed testing I've done so far, I've basically had to wear torva and trust that Jagex is telling the truth (a scary thing to do) regarding armor having no offensive bonuses.

This actually really worries me. Thinking of casually wandering the map and getting attacked by a high level monster that just rapes you because you didn't put armour on because you didn't plan to fight anything. Dungeons are fine, I'm more worried about stuff in/near towns. Muggers probably won't be too bad, but what about those guards from the rescue prince quest that takes place mostly near draynor village? Those things are dangerous to unprepared newbs.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

This actually really worries me. Thinking of casually wandering the map and getting attacked by a high level monster that just rapes you because you didn't put armour on because you didn't plan to fight anything. Dungeons are fine, I'm more worried about stuff in/near towns. Muggers probably won't be too bad, but what about those guards from the rescue prince quest that takes place mostly near draynor village? Those things are dangerous to unprepared newbs.

To compensate, many monsters and enemies are no longer aggressive.

Lol have fun finding penguins in Karamja Jungle :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Where is confirmation monsters won;t be aggressive?

Jmods have said monsters have been less aggressive for the purposes of beta testing, they haven't said it is a permanent thing (to my knowledge)

Interesting point about penguins, I wonder if they will be slightly tweaked on where they can go and/or made more rewarding.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Looks like your slayer XP gets nerfed sporadically if you're using a cannon. Is this a glitch?

Don't think so, think it's more of a case of you do not get slayer xp if you do not do the most damage and in new system cannon does not count as you doing damage.

Basically a measure to discourage people powerslaying everything with cannon seeing as it's all multi so that would/could royally screw basically every task spot in-game.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Actually I had a blue dragon task and went to Taverly for it... pretty sure the "nerfed" XP was just coming from the baby blue dragons that got killed in the crossfire... currently getting 180xp per black demon w/ cannon now

Though one demon gave me 90xp when my steel titan killed it

77yLQy8.png

Those jungle spiders when you get off the boat from Ardougne are just annoying as hell. They're level 114 now.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Is the equip interface still broken? It shows 0 Hit Bonus for the weapons I wear, and the hit bonus goes to damage instead :/ (Also, I don't see the % of damage increased by staves or arcane stream, did they remove that or it's just not shown atm?)

EDIT: Also, are they going to remove the 500 cap on sara brews? So it's actually 15% of LP restoration rate

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

It appears that some non-melee crits don't show up correctly, and yes, hit bonus is broken for me too.

All in all their equipment screen needs tons of fixing :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Dungeoneering is very interesting now. It may be best to just stick to one combat class now, since all three styles hit well on all monsters. I just went for a CCS, SSH and celestial robe top. I kind of want to drop my SSH for celestial robe bottoms.

So I decided to test out the beta for a bit. I have to say that the shield abilities are just a tad bit overpowered.

If anything, Jagex should make certain abilities dependent on the weapon/shield you use instead of simply on raw levels. I.e., instead of simply needing level X for ability Y, you need level X and item A for ability Y. That would allow for more abilities and a greater diversity in items people use.

If anything, Jagex should make certain abilities dependent on the weapon/shield you use instead of simply on raw levels. I.e., instead of simply needing level X for ability Y, you need level X and item A for ability Y. That would allow for more abilities and a greater diversity in items people use.

Yeah, and instead of abilities, we could call these special attacks!

Yeah, and instead of abilities, we could call these special attacks!

So I decided to test out the beta for a bit. I have to say that the shield abilities are just a tad bit overpowered.

Not diverse enough... That is their legacy issue already with specials being tacked on to certain items. To be honest I think you aren't comfortable with the freedom they're giving you and want to see some constraint. I myself am not a fan of the jump-back abilities being used when not using that combats type, but I think its better overall though because it gives us much more for us to fool around with. Jagex right now is trying to make combat about skill and let others feel out their own efficiency both in terms of combat ability and damage as well as gameplay. They don't want to tie down maneuvering abilities like that to just one style of combat becuase that would be just boring and place too much of a lockdown on the freedom beta is offering. They don't want it to be solely dependent on items and that's what you're suggesting... a middle ground between what combat is now and combat betas intentions. Sure you might be able to unlock flurry at level 60 attack, wield dragon claws and offhand dragon claws at level 60 attack, but flurry's use should not be locked to just claws because it makes sense that two offhand melee weapons should be able to do a "flurry" of damage.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png