The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Something was changed with bolts and crossbows yesterday.

Now you cannot use dragon, diamond, emerald (I have tested those) with rune or dragon2h crossbow. It says the weapon is not powerfull enough for this ammo.

I haven't tried chaotic, because I do not have one.

Aren't they free from the dg reward shop in beta?

And I just looked it up, unlike some dg items it has no intrisinc dg requirement.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

If I have to gather 200k tokens for chaotic CB and another 200k for offhand + offhand melee ... I am doomed :)

200k for just rapier was long

hope there will be other CBows that can use higher tier bolts

Seems a waste to me to buy two chaotics when maul will have the same dps as dual wielded rapiers. Plus it looks a lot cooler.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I don't think maul will have the same dps as dual wield, it will have a bit more health and accuracy perhaps, and different abilities.

There's a simple tradeoff:

High dps, low def = dual wield

Med dps, med def = 2h

low dps, high def = 1h+shield

I think the idea is that 2h > shield > dual wield > 2h.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't think maul will have the same dps as dual wield, it will have a bit more health and accuracy perhaps, and different abilities.

There's a simple tradeoff:

High dps, low def = dual wield

Med dps, med def = 2h

low dps, high def = 1h+shield

I think the idea is that 2h > shield > dual wield > 2h.

Poor choice of words on my part, was mainly referring to the fact that 2 handers would be comparable to dual wielding.

I wish they'd just give us the costume instead of making us jump through hoops. The events sound like a pain. A laggy pain I wager too.

Now what would make you deserve the costume if you didn't jump through those hoops? They already have problems with people not testing out the beta, this would actually bring some people on the servers for once.

What kind of fail logic is this.

Okay, let's play.

Bob plays everyday on the beta testing stuff and giving feedback. Next weekend, Bob has a camping trip and can't attend the events. Bob has a life and therefore doesn't deserve the reward. Nice logic you got there pal.

When you said "jumping through hoops", I thought you meant "I should get the costume even when all I did was log into the servers" like all these "me-first" people that seem to play videogames these days.

Besides, early access to Beta is its own reward. Now Jagex have received criticism from the early-goers that were deserving to get in or really wanted to get in (and got lucky to do so), now they need to give another reward on the weekend to convince more runescape players to join the beta servers to acquire more data on how the game is working (more exactly, how the servers are handling many people in the same spot using abilities). What are you expecting them to give these people? A pat on the back? They'll just [bleep] and moan even more than they are right now.

On a different note, I don't see where the problem with that logic is. If you didn't participate in those events, you didn't jump through the hoop with the reward. It's like playing Monopoly and skipping GO without collecting $200.

22031_s.gif

On a different note, I don't see where the problem with that logic is. If you didn't participate in those events, you didn't jump through the hoop with the reward. It's like playing Monopoly and skipping GO without collecting $200.

Not at all. It's very easy to miss an item that's only out for two days, especially if their beta servers are full/horrifyingly laggy for most of that time from people trying to do the same, or even if you do things with family and friends like many people do on summer weekends.

Remember the first few hours of the beta? Let's hope that they learned from it before giving the entire community access.

It really does seem unfortunate that the costume is tied to an event rather than the beta itself.

Beta Update 04/07/2012

Feature changes:

-Cape and Jewellery beta shop added

-Karils ammo now in beta shops

-Players killing NPC's on a Slayer target should get full combat XP from killing the NPC regardless of the level/difficulty difference

-Prayer should drain as expected

-Movement/metamorphosis abilities cannot be used whilst holding the banner in castlewars. Furthermore the banner gives negative armour making the flag runner easier to hit.

-Adrenaline is only lost on PvP target switching in the wilderness

-Godwars killcount reduced to 10

-Damage over time effects should now not hit NPC's you don't have the Slayer level to wound

-Feedback changes to NPCs such as black demons and many slayer creatures have had their lifepoints reduced to bring the killtimes to where we expect. We will continue to monitor and change these as we go through the beta

-Sheathing has had a massive engine update. Animations that previously hide your left/right hands would have hidden sheathed items (Such as using a tinderbox to light a fire). This has now been updated so the sheathed items do not clip/disappear if your hands are seen as free

-You can now switch gear freely as quickly as you like but suffer a 2 cooldown ability penalty. This is now shown via cooldown clocks on the actionbar

-Rare items are now untradable on beta worlds. Flowers will always be red, the seal emote will always show seal #1

-Bunyip now does a percentage heal rather than an absolute value

-NPC vs NPC was not working as expected - Things that are meant to be immune to familiars (such as certain bosses) were taking incorrectly taking damage.

-A mechanic that powers the tanking abilities was not working correctly and some NPCs got stuck hunting the wrong target (such as the corporeal beast stuck trying to attack someone outside the room) This should now be resolved.

-You can no longer generate adrenaline through defensive abilities outside of combat

-Boss update: Nex

Nex suffered from a few of the issues we've fixed elsewhere this week (Such as familiars damaging when they shouldn't have). Such external issues should be resolved. Further to this we've updated her mechanics to make her as potent as you'd expect. If you are returning to Nex this week expect her to be much more adaptive, clever at giving chase and controlling her damage intake - as well as being reactive to it!

It is worth mentioning that Nex' hunting mechanics have been changed and she is now the first boss that fully supports the incite and provoke mechanics. Further information on these will be provided in another thread for those who wish to know more.

Ability changes:

Attack:

-Overpower cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

Defence:

-Anticipation has an added effect of making the player immune to stuns for the next 10 seconds. It has also had it's cooldown increased to 25 seconds.

-Freedom can now be used whilst stunned and has had it's cooldown increased to 30 seconds

-Rejuvinate and Immortality now require a shield

-Rejuvinate now only restores drained stats (it was previously lowering boosted stats)

-Rejuvenate shows healmarks when active

-Rejuvinate now heals 40% total lifepoints over time, down from 50%

-Immortality has had it's cooldown increased to 2minutes

Magic:

-Detonate charge speed has been doubled

-Metamorphosis now gives +50% damage output, (Previously 25%)

-Omnipower cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

Ranged:

-Ricochet has had it's line of sight issues resolved that prevented it's use in certain environments

-Deadshot cooldown is now 30seconds, down from 1 minute.

I don't like the hybrid penalty that's still in place or the removal of boosting adrenaline out of combat. The rest is alright, though there are no big fixes such as a general reduction of the importance of abilities.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Sad to see rejuvinate tied to a shield, but it is pretty op otherwise. But also makes having a shield pretty dang op. It's already hard enough to hit through a shield, and now they have the exclusive ability to heal 40% of their health.

Flyingjj.png

Not at all. It's very easy to miss an item that's only out for two days, especially if their beta servers are full/horrifyingly laggy for most of that time from people trying to do the same, or even if you do things with family and friends like many people do on summer weekends.

Remember the first few hours of the beta? Let's hope that they learned from it before giving the entire community access.

It really does seem unfortunate that the costume is tied to an event rather than the beta itself.

Is it unfortunate that the most loyal beta testers get no reward other than personal gratification? Yes. Is it unfortunate that the costume is tied to an event rather than the beta itself? No. Problem is, Jagex needs to offer something as a reward for testing a piece of content that they want looked at when interest is waning. Flag runner too powerful during Castle Wars? Nerf his defensive cooldowns and his defense, then hold an event to gather data on how the nerfs are faring, giving the testers a reward as if it's some apple after going to the dentist, getting them back in the beta.

While, if possible, Jagex should reward hardcore beta testers somehow (and I don't see why not), it is more important to reward people for these weekend events, as they are the least likely to stick around in the beta without receiving a golden star for their work.

Besides, who said there won't be a reward somewhere down the line for people that have logged in often during the beta and provided suggestions? Beta hasn't been out for very long.

22031_s.gif

My problem with it isn't with the event itself, it's that the reward is only available through the event. I'd personally prefer the items being given out through something related to the beta as well as through events, because sometimes people just can't make them, and it doesn't make sense to penalize players that helped with the beta throughout its run because they missed one weekend.

My problem with it isn't with the event itself, it's that the reward is only available through the event. I'd personally prefer the items being given out through something related to the beta as well as through events, because sometimes people just can't make them, and it doesn't make sense to penalize players that helped with the beta throughout its run because they missed one weekend.

Problem is that means rewarding the gamblers/rare market traders that are doing nothing at all to help with the beta testing, other than stand around spamming h/c x2 buying blue phat 2bil etc. etc.

Maybe they should find a way to reward beta testers that participate in 'x' amount of combat/testing etc. the same outfit that the rest of members can earn for doing these beta events without them having to jump through the same hoops us less luckier folks have to endure.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Why is not giving you something a penalty? Yes you may not have the opportunity to take part in the event that gives a reward, but that is not the same thing as someone actively taking something away from you. Yes, I would like to see them reward all beta testers, but not rewarding you doesn't mean they are actively penalizing you.

Serena_Sedai.png

Well, one day after the update regarding rares in beta and things have not changed. People are still gambling but now play just other silly games. The players have also found 'new' rares: 3rd age items + spirit shards, RotM boots. Basically everything you can not get for free in the beta and requires effort to get. Some gamblers seem to have given up hope though, as the amount of players online in beta was incredibly low today: +- 200 today, whereas other days would easily have 500+ players at the same time.

The beta itself is pretty fun tbh. The combat system is something to get used to, but I like it. I especially love the hotbar: the fact that you can drag anything to it (drink prayer pot, drink overload, high alch, turn on quick prayers.. etc.) All the different abilities make combat much more interesting.

Polodevil.png

polozn.png

A thought:

Given the changes to the combat system, does it make sense to halve the prices of some chaotics? The logic behind this is that you have to pay twice as much for the best dual wielding or weapon/shield equipment than for the best two-handed weapon.

So instead of paying 200k for a rapier, you'd be able to buy a rapier and either its offhand equivalent or a CKS. Two-handed weapons would still cost 200k. Naturally, you'd still need 80 dungeoneering to buy these items, so you'll have 200k points whether you spend that many or not.

Well, one day after the update regarding rares in beta and things have not changed. People are still gambling but now play just other silly games. The players have also found 'new' rares: 3rd age items + spirit shards, RotM boots. Basically everything you can not get for free in the beta and requires effort to get. Some gamblers seem to have given up hope though, as the amount of players online in beta was incredibly low today: +- 200 today, whereas other days would easily have 500+ players at the same time.

The beta itself is pretty fun tbh. The combat system is something to get used to, but I like it. I especially love the hotbar: the fact that you can drag anything to it (drink prayer pot, drink overload, high alch, turn on quick prayers.. etc.) All the different abilities make combat much more interesting.

Just add consumables to stores for free and make it impossible to trade with other players in Beta + institute the "nothing over 3k shows up if dropped" rule outside the Wilderness. That'd put an end to the ridiculous gambling.

td2sig.jpg

Wish they didn't have to be that extreme.

I don't think chaotics should be halfed, since you only need both if you want max damage. Having a shield is perfectly fine.

Serena_Sedai.png

The problem with halving the prices of one-handed items is that a level 80 could buy a rapier and a CLS and use them with a DFS, or some other shield that is close in tier to the dg shields. This might be a problem because instead of buying a weapon and its offhand variant, or a weapon and a shield, the player has bought the best stabbing and the best slashing weapon in the game, and is still using a shield that is only a little worse than a dg shield.

Chaotics should stay the same price they are, in my opinion. You don't really need two, after all. Though I honestly wouldn't mind if their prices were dropped, as long as everyone gets the proper refund.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

The problem with halving the prices of one-handed items is that a level 80 could buy a rapier and a CLS and use them with a DFS, or some other shield that is close in tier to the dg shields. This might be a problem because instead of buying a weapon and its offhand variant, or a weapon and a shield, the player has bought the best stabbing and the best slashing weapon in the game, and is still using a shield that is only a little worse than a dg shield.

I don't see this as problem as Jagex decided that stab sucks against slash weak monsters.

Which is a small price to pay for not locking people that dual wield and/or use weapon and shield styles (Including ranged magic) out of their best gear until level 88.

Alternatively, they could let us reset our points.

Which is a small price to pay for not locking people that dual wield and/or use weapon and shield styles (Including ranged magic) out of their best gear until level 88.

Alternatively, they could let us reset our points.

You'd have a point if you were locked to a "dual wield" class and thus had to train twice as much to be on par. Of course this is not the case and you can just use a lower tier offhand, or buy a maul.