The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

Got my hands on all of the Barrows sets. All melee brothers and Akrisae's weapons have the exact same stats. The LP/armor bonuses are all the same too but that probably goes without saying.

Also got a Handcannon and was a little disappointed, especially if it still explodes randomly. Dmg 717 hit bonus 750 (not sure if gear matters?) Avg speed, not sure if there's anything else relevant. Zaryte is better and faster as far as 2h Ranged goes.

2dgucz6.png

Crucible is P2P? Oh dear.

Indeed it is. This is a decision harsher even than the f2p highscore removal, this actually removes content from f2p in order to allure them into buying p2p.

Huh? F2P never had The Crucible to begin with and the only dynamic area that saw any action in f2p aside from boxing in low-level wildy was multi wilderness up by Greater Demons / Spider Hill. And the Duel Arena since the removal of free trade (or thereabouts) has been F2P for ages - unless they're changing that with the beta? I didn't see anything about that, so if they are, forgive me.

Well, F2P had Bounty Hunter. And the Crucible should replace it, right? So, you can say they took it away.

[404] Signature not found.

Their FAQ logic was that Bounty Hunter was a replacement for the Wilderness, and now that F2P has the wilderness again, it no longer needs a replace mechanism and hence the Crucible remains P2P.

I guess if there's a lot of outspoken desire for single-way Wilderness we may see it return, but the developers only say they'll closely monitor the situation.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Their FAQ logic was that Bounty Hunter was a replacement for the Wilderness, and now that F2P has the wilderness again, it no longer needs a replace mechanism and hence the Crucible remains P2P.

I guess if there's a lot of outspoken desire for single-way Wilderness we may see it return, but the developers only say they'll closely monitor the situation.

So, I'm reading the Behind the Scenes wrong?

The Crucible - The Return of Bounty Hunter (Members Only)

Back in 2011, we removed the “Bounty” mechanic. For many of you, it was a style of PKing you preferred to the traditional Wilderness, and we promised we would bring it back. Well, it’s back! And this time, it’s better than ever...

I'm just pointing out what they said. It's not like I wasn't surprised or would use it if it's F2P.

[404] Signature not found.

Well, they did bring it back :P It's probably just the BTS writer doing his job without understanding the dev's intent.

Here's what the Crucible FAQ wrote:

Will there ever be a version of this released for free players since the original Bounty Hunter (which this replaced) was a F2P minigame?

Mod Tim: We have no plans to do this. We appreciate that the original Bounty Hunter was for F2P, but then it was added to replace a certain gap in game-play left from the absence of the (F2P) wilderness. Since the Wilderness is now back, it was less key for us to replace its functionality when developing the Crucible.

6Ij0n.jpg

Could someone who has access to beta tell how zaryte bow is working? I really liked one in current RS, but as it's such expensive weapon and changes prices alot, I'm not sure if I want to keep holding on one. How does it manage compared to chaotic crossbow for example? :unsure:

u5zhkTY.gif

Zaryte bow has 448 damage, 800 hit bonus and is rated Fast (5 tick).

Chaotic crossbow has 800 hit bonus and is rated Fastest (4 tick), and with diamond bolts (e) it has 300 damage.

So at 99 ranged Zaryte has 547 damage and CCB 399 damage, which puts Zaryte at 9% more average damage than CCB (with diamond e)

Against dual-wielded CCB, CCB comes out with 36% more average damage.

Zaryte's strength is that it gets access to the 2h ranged abilities, which aren't channeled attacks unlike the dual-wielded abilities.

However it has a lower damage output for its auto-attacks than dual-wielded CCBs.

It also forfeits the flexibility of defensive abilities which use a Shield, including Reflect and Resonance.

The devs currently acknowledge that Zaryte is rather weak and they're looking to power it up sometime.

E: Remembered that CCB can now fire Royal bolts (327 dmg), so the calculations are a bit off :P

6Ij0n.jpg

They also require the user to focus while initiating the ability, meaning that you don't get to fire off auto-attacks, don't get to eat/move/use other abilities, and you can be interrupted by an incoming stun which stops your attack cold.

Certain channeled attacks which target an area as opposed to a player (Frenzy, Unload) can be rendered harmless if the target walks off that map square.

EDIT: Lol hey guys check out the costume you're going to get by participating in beta events:

sdfae.png

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

6Ij0n.jpg

Can someone expand on what maging is like? If possible, could you give an overview of how the runes have been reworked to make it cheaper? Just very curious, since this could really impact a lot of activities in RS.

Strike spells = 1 air + 1 element (only air for air spells, this is the case for all strike-surge)

Bolt = 2 air + 2 element

etc.

Surge = 5 air + 5 element

Barrage spells = 2 blood + 5 other (now all the ancient spells have elements tied to them, as you may already know)

Not exactly sure about the others. Some lower level ancient spells use deaths.

Magic is cheaper, but if you dual wield a wand and a book, you can burn through a lot of runes very quickly. Most of your damage comes from abilities, just like all combat now. The magic abilities seem uninteresting and rather unsatisfying. I wish they'd at least have different colors you glow for different elements - it seems you glow blue for just about every ability. The animations are repetitive shit compared to melee and range.

Ice spells seem super over-powered currently, even more so than they were before. They bind for less time, but now they "stun", preventing enemies from attacking or using abilities. If you dual-cast, you can pretty much stunlock your target indefinitely. Probably isn't 100% foolproof in PvP, but I was getting pwnd by it (only single casted) in Soul Wars.

Awesome, Thank you. Hopefully ice magic is tweaked a bit, but not too much. I mostly play with range, so I need my squishy targets. :)

Tried ice in PvP last night actually and it isn't all that overpowered. It misses quite often and once they cast freedom, ice is pretty much useless as they are free from snares and stuns for quite awhile. I found entangle to actually be more useful in the deep wild (20 second hold).

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I'd just like to say that places like Waterbirth (first chamber) are quite a lot of fun now with everything being multi, and not to mention having such an increased cast speed for barrages. :)

Looking for other previously single-way places that might be similar now.

Also they removed all but 2 worlds. No getting away from those shit kids gambling now I guess. Good thing there's free item things in every major town.

2dgucz6.png

I'd just like to say that places like Waterbirth (first chamber) are quite a lot of fun now with everything being multi, and not to mention having such an increased cast speed for barrages. :)

Try Temple dark beasts or (ice) strykewyrms? Also, skeletal wyverns might be better charms now than a number of other options. And what about Ghorrock metal dragons? Mutated jadinkos?

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

What is the disadvantage if any of mleeing in mage gear? It seems to have more defence/lp boost than melee armour and I'm not seeing any negatives to meleeing in it (other than wekaness being range rather than mage).

You get a hit-negative pentalty. Take a look at the data with and without armor on it should change your %chance to hit. (Wish this was more obvious)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

What is the disadvantage if any of mleeing in mage gear? It seems to have more defence/lp boost than melee armour and I'm not seeing any negatives to meleeing in it (other than wekaness being range rather than mage).

You get a hit-negative pentalty. Take a look at the data with and without armor on it should change your %chance to hit. (Wish this was more obvious)

It should probably be added that there's an equivalent at almost all tiers for each combat class. For example, all of the Barrows armor sets are equal (between pieces) in both lp boost and defense, just changing class depending on which triangle point the brother is.

EDIT

Try Temple dark beasts or (ice) strykewyrms? Also, skeletal wyverns might be better charms now than a number of other options. And what about Ghorrock metal dragons? Mutated jadinkos?

Was going to try the temple Dark Beasts but they're a pain to get to lol. There was some kind of teleport to them but I can't seem to get it again because speaking to Arianwyn is "not available on Beta Servers". Going to Mutated Jadinkos, they might be interesting.

EDIT 2

They're weak to crossbows but magic does fine. Steel Titan rapes them wholesale with scrolls, often doing more damage than I am. They never hit with their mage attacks. I've got just about every one of them in the room on me lol.

2dgucz6.png

They also require the user to focus while initiating the ability, meaning that you don't get to fire off auto-attacks, don't get to eat/move/use other abilities, and you can be interrupted by an incoming stun which stops your attack cold.

Certain channeled attacks which target an area as opposed to a player (Frenzy, Unload) can be rendered harmless if the target walks off that map square.

EDIT: Lol hey guys check out the costume you're going to get by participating in beta events:

sdfae.png

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Big fan of Steampunk, so that looks awesome in my opinion. Any news on what they beta events will consist of?

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

I wish they'd just give us the costume instead of making us jump through hoops. The events sound like a pain. A laggy pain I wager too.

2480+ total

I wish they'd just give us the costume instead of making us jump through hoops. The events sound like a pain. A laggy pain I wager too.

Now what would make you deserve the costume if you didn't jump through those hoops? They already have problems with people not testing out the beta, this would actually bring some people on the servers for once.

22031_s.gif

Ya, it upsets me that a lot of people have the chance to try the beta are just ignoring the oppprtunity. If I had my computer right now Id be testing that stuff out hardcore!

Attack: 99/99 Strength: 99/99

Defense: 99/99 Constitution: 99/99

Prayer: 99/99 Ranged: 99/99

Magic: 98/99 Summoning: 88/99

Combat Level: 137