The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

1625 out of the 50,000 people + everyone who was allowed in automatically... and here I am, wondering why I can't test the beta and provide some constructive feedback on Magic.

Now take that number and cut it in half to account for people just standing around. Now maybe we have an accurate number of people testing beta. If I could give you my beta access I would. Funny looking at my friendslist and all the ones who tested beta on day one compared to now. I used to have about 10 or so friends who got in beta. I haven't seen one test it since Wednesday.

I'm sorry, but this is really annoying me. They're denying access to a lot of people who want to test the content, but they're allowing access to people who gamble on a beta server where all your items will just be deleted at the end? What the hell is going on in Jagex's mind?

If you look at my previous posts they are dealing with it the next update. And I understand. Trying to find someone to actually do something with in beta without already knowing them is annoying when half of them are begging for partyhats the other half are gambling. And if it means anything. Those people wanted to test combat too. They did, until they got bored, and started to gamble. I will be honest, I want to run around and try to make fake billions too. Trust me, it gets boring REALLY fast when you are gaining nothing. There is a reason people get paid to do this.

I hope they will deny access to those that gamble on the beta servers and instead, invite more players in to test their content.

If you look at my previous posts they are dealing with it the next update. And I understand. Trying to find someone to actually do something with in beta without already knowing them is annoying when half of them are begging for partyhats the other half are gambling. And if it means anything. Those people wanted to test combat too. They did, until they got bored, and started to gamble. I will be honest, I want to run around and try to make fake billions too. Trust me, it gets boring REALLY fast when you are gaining nothing. There is a reason people get paid to do this.

Then let other people in who do want to test. It's in their best interest to at least cycle it around if it's indeed so boring.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Tbh for the beta they should've made a sort of dodgey hashed together server that is limited. Eg give us a random map space with most/all task monsters dotted about and the slayer masters for a week and give us an xp lamp in live game, that becomes worth more for the more hours we play.

Then next week they could just throw us into a sort of perma-dg map with a bunch of rooms and most bosses but a way to do proper floors too and only dg gear of course and give us dg xp or tokens in live.

Then week after maybe hash together a bunch of dungeons eg give slap many of the non-boss dungeon monsters in a map square and on the edges add the gwd boss rooms, barrows, kbd, kq etc. and make it so in-game we get like x% of drop value up to a limit of a few mil total

And so on and so forth but in last few weeks give us full game BUT turn off skills (cept dg slay and cmb) and trade and make us instant respawn on death at same place and again give us some sort of incentive.

Would kept things more focused and interesting.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

1625 out of the 50,000 people + everyone who was allowed in automatically... and here I am, wondering why I can't test the beta and provide some constructive feedback on Magic.

Now take that number and cut it in half to account for people just standing around. Now maybe we have an accurate number of people testing beta. If I could give you my beta access I would. Funny looking at my friendslist and all the ones who tested beta on day one compared to now. I used to have about 10 or so friends who got in beta. I haven't seen one test it since Wednesday.

I'm sorry, but this is really annoying me. They're denying access to a lot of people who want to test the content, but they're allowing access to people who gamble on a beta server where all your items will just be deleted at the end? What the hell is going on in Jagex's mind?

I hope they will deny access to those that gamble on the beta servers and instead, invite more players in to test their content.

I have a feeling they will have some shop with more free items (maybe money and rares). Although that's purely speculation on my part. I think that would be the easier way to deal with the situation rather than running around blacklisting names you see gambling.

jpegsigtest.jpg

The only reason to participate in beta is to have an advantage in terms of learning the basics when it goes live.

I didn't even try to get in this time (although I wouldn't have gotten it anyway, as I understand it.) because the rs2 beta was a waste as well. Back then, I was still going for 85 mining, and rsc players will remember that when you reached a full inventory in classic, the ore you mined after was automatically dropped. So unless the beta is specifically geared towards the features you use all the time, the fun doesn't last, and people get upset over the stuff they miss out on in the actual game. I really only see beta participation as beneficial if you boss-hunt or pvp a significant amount of time.

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Gambling's such a part of rs now that the majority of new beta testers will just abuse the free stuff, kill a few things then try and hit max cash. :rolleyes:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

It's actually interesting to me that things like gambling have taken off in the Beta, since I doubt that's what many people had in mind when they started. They arrive, test out the new combat, decide they don't like it, and see if there is anything else they can do to entertain themselves. I can't say I blame people for gambling, since at this point its actually probably way more fun than beta testing is (also, many many players just discovered that play testing content probably isn't as awesome as they might have thought). At the end of the day, actually testing the content is work, and most people don't play games for work, not when there is no obvious reward to doing so.

I'm not sure how they plan on fixing it, but they might need to actually strip every non critical item out of the beta (especially money) so that all we have are what the shops provide for free. I can also see them letting more people in, in a piecemeal fashion as the interest wanes from the current group. Of course, the idea of beta testing like this is that it gives them a chance to make changes and see how we react, and each time they do this there will be renewed interest in the beta testing itself, as people want to try out the changes.

It also speaks a bit to how much fun the new beta is not. I pictured needing to choose between an awesome new system and the cruddy old one that rewards me for a few months, right up until I got in there and tried it out, and realized I would not be spending nearly as much time there as I thought, because the new system is simply not enjoyable for me beyond the novelty.

So I haven't played in forever, just came back and saw I can access the beta. Must be something to do with my high levels/not cancelling membership for years on end.

Are a lot of people not able to get into the beta? I feel like I have a responsibility to test it for those who can't

So I haven't played in forever, just came back and saw I can access the beta. Must be something to do with my high levels/not cancelling membership for years on end.

Are a lot of people not able to get into the beta? I feel like I have a responsibility to test it for those who can't

Everyone with a year or more continuous subscription to date, plus an additional 50,000 are able to access it. All members will be able to access it on the weekends though. So it's not super exclusive no. I mean, most people probably can't access it, but its not like they only let a couple thousand in. And keep in mind that the pitiful participation includes the 50,000 that actually made the conscious choice to sign up, and you might end up with an idea of why Jagex probably isn't going to rush to let more in. If those 50,000 don't really want it, why should they expect anyone else who signed up to want it more once they are actually in there.

Everyone with a year or more continuous subscription to date, plus an additional 50,000 are able to access it. All members will be able to access it on the weekends though. So it's not super exclusive no. I mean, most people probably can't access it, but its not like they only let a couple thousand in. And keep in mind that the pitiful participation includes the 50,000 that actually made the conscious choice to sign up, and you might end up with an idea of why Jagex probably isn't going to rush to let more in. If those 50,000 don't really want it, why should they expect anyone else who signed up to want it more once they are actually in there.

Tbh the online numbers aren't too bad.

I mean when you consider there's usually 100-150k ish online on the normal game out of the near 200m accounts.

So 1-2k ish online of the beta folks is probably about same proportional for online at any one time.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Everyone with a year or more continuous subscription to date, plus an additional 50,000 are able to access it.

Wrong. :P

Many have subscribed for the beta and didn't get chosen for it. (Been member since 2008 and I know many other tiffers in the same boat as me)

w3bi.png

7ahl.pngZr.png1buy.png

eblo.png

Everyone with a year or more continuous subscription to date, plus an additional 50,000 are able to access it.

Many have subscribed for the beta and didn't get chosen for it. (Been member since 2008 and I know many other tiffers in the same boat as me)

Not wrong.

If you had CONTINUOUS membership for 12 months prior to june 1st AND signed up you got into the beta no questions asked, not even a chase of being chosen when you signed up it said that you were guaranteed in and when it launched you got in.

It's only if you did not have 12 months continuous you had to be picked as one of the 50k, after you signed up.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Not wrong.

If you had CONTINUOUS membership for 12 months prior to june 1st AND signed up you got into the beta no questions asked, not even a chase of being chosen when you signed up it said that you were guaranteed in and when it launched you got in.

It's only if you did not have 12 months continuous you had to be picked as one of the 50k, after you signed up.

This. I've had plenty of people with 12+ months of membership complain about not getting in when they had access all along. They just never got an email, and neither did I.

unlike them, I tried logging into the beta on the first day instead of raging about not getting an email. I was on the beta 4 minutes before the system update that marked the launch was over.

Been on the beta every day since it's release and I love it. I wish they would add the character models into the current game along with sheathing weapons and the running. i love the running. (At least from the pov behind your character.)

This weekend isn't a costume part event weekend right?

The costume events will be starting next weekend. Probably because everyone gets access.

In this boat, damn cancelling membs for 3 months in a 5 year period, means I've got to wait with everyone else :(

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

If anyone would like to do something in the beta that's helpful, you can record max hits and accuracy. Simply attack a monster/friend with no gear (so no armor or weapons) and record all of your hits. Don't use abilities. Once you have 500 or so data points, send them to me in a private message. Make sure you include your stats and your friend's stats/the monster you attacked, as well as anything else you think I should know.

No one try out ba yet? see if abilities are linked to whatever style your using and see if ancients now damage the monsters?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

If anyone would like to do something in the beta that's helpful, you can record max hits and accuracy. Simply attack a monster/friend with no gear (so no armor or weapons) and record all of your hits. Don't use abilities. Once you have 500 or so data points, send them to me in a private message. Make sure you include your stats and your friend's stats/the monster you attacked, as well as anything else you think I should know.

You know that the equipment screen lists max hit, hit chance and miss chance, right?

You know that the equipment screen lists max hit, hit chance and miss chance, right?

Ya, but I don't trust it.

I just got hit a 9 through 100% defend chance. it might be a rounding error though.

No one try out ba yet? see if abilities are linked to whatever style your using and see if ancients now damage the monsters?

BA is not currently accessible in the beta.

well thats dumb. Do they have plans to release more content for the beta. Or is this it? If so its a lowsy beta if you can't try out all combat minigames.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I just got hit a 9 through 100% defend chance. it might be a rounding error though.

Probably a rounding error. Considering how RS works, unless they completely changed how combat works, it's impossible to get 100% defend chance (or 0% chance of hit.) Well, at least without going into negative attack penalties.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.