The Evolution of Combat: BETA discussion

Leon S

You can get that armour the Jagex Mods are wearing, by participating each weekend on the beta in their events. :)

Any chance of a screenshot?

Achieved 99 Woodcutting on 12/06/08

Presumably this, courtesy of Gwyn:

[hide]jmod1.png

jmod2.png

And Mod Chris L owning the daylights out of Mod Reach:

jmod3.png

[/hide]

On the topic of multi, a Glacor-esque type of multi combat would work best, I think. It always was dumb that we couldn't use combat familiars and cannons in single combat. But it would be a pain for even moderately high level players to compete with the fully maxed. Yes, it's part of the game, but do we want every slayer task to be a rat race?

Working on max and completionist capes.

2435/2475

Fun little thing, if you're PvMing, and kill a boss, you can keep you adren bar up by alternating Freedom and the Jump back ability, you can add a few more in if you want to start the boss with a full bar.

Interestingly, any ability counts as entering cmbat, so you get the 10 second logout warning at ge.

Oh, and me and some radom guy got b2b Acp and Ahilt. Why does my luck exist in the beta? :sad:

Well, once beta converts to live the Ahilt will no longer have much value. In fact, I expect Arma armor to actually go up quite a bit since most people will probably stop doing Arma. There will be no reason to do it, if the other bosses are easier and the hilts are all identical except for aesthetics...

td2sig.jpg

You can get that armour the Jagex Mods are wearing, by participating each weekend on the beta in their events. :)

Even the cape? Seems unlikely going by the looks of it. Besides, the set has 6 parts and there are only 4 items being given out.

They did mention that each godsword will have its own unique stats. I don't really know what that means though.

thought they were making each god sword have the same stats with the hilt just being for decoration?

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Just fought Mod Connor at the Duel Arena on W200, and managed to survive until the Duel expired (which was at least 3 doses of Overload), despite his ridiculously tanky JMod gear, 25k HP and my crappy stats XD. It was a lot of fun, and honestly as I play more and more of the beta I'm becoming more and more convinced that this update will be a really good thing for the game. While button-mashing does work to a point, timing your abilities is actually really important. If you can get a damage reflect/heal out as the opponent is about to use their Ultimate it's going to play in your favour, for example.

I've mainly used melee so far (although I did do the Fight Caves with Range, the Dual Weild ultimate made Jad laughably easy), so I'm gonna start looking at the other styles some more.

Just fought Mod Connor at the Duel Arena on W200, and managed to survive until the Duel expired (which was at least 3 doses of Overload), despite his ridiculously tanky JMod gear, 25k HP and my crappy stats XD. It was a lot of fun, and honestly as I play more and more of the beta I'm becoming more and more convinced that this update will be a really good thing for the game. While button-mashing does work to a point, timing your abilities is actually really important. If you can get a damage reflect/heal out as the opponent is about to use their Ultimate it's going to play in your favour, for example.

I've mainly used melee so far (although I did do the Fight Caves with Range, the Dual Weild ultimate made Jad laughably easy), so I'm gonna start looking at the other styles some more.

It certainly is working nice and tactically in PvP

It's PvM where it does suck ass because they don;t fire anything back at you button mashing is the best route to get max dps easily because you do not especially want/need to save adrenaline for anything special most of the time.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

One interesting bit of something:

If you have extreme pots in vials, you can drink them without the herblore requirement. It's just flasks that are limited that way, and I'm pretty sure that's only because you don't need the requirement to get them from the supply trader.

Pretty sure I couldn't drink my vialed OVL...

2dgucz6.png

They did mention that each godsword will have its own unique stats. I don't really know what that means though.

thought they were making each god sword have the same stats with the hilt just being for decoration?

That's what I heard too, all godswords are being made identical, hilts being purely cosmetic

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

If you have extreme pots in vials, you can drink them without the herblore requirement. It's just flasks that are limited that way, and I'm pretty sure that's only because you don't need the requirement to get them from the supply trader.

Seems like it's just OVLs then. I'm not having any trouble drinking other extreme potions that I don't have the level for regardless of the container it's in.

They did mention in one of the FAQs, that if you are 6 levels or less below a potion it will work.. but only during the beta... I can't find it then tbough.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Crucible is P2P? Oh dear.

Indeed it is. This is a decision harsher even than the f2p highscore removal, this actually removes content from f2p in order to allure them into buying p2p.

Huh? F2P never had The Crucible to begin with and the only dynamic area that saw any action in f2p aside from boxing in low-level wildy was multi wilderness up by Greater Demons / Spider Hill. And the Duel Arena since the removal of free trade (or thereabouts) has been F2P for ages - unless they're changing that with the beta? I didn't see anything about that, so if they are, forgive me.

hzvjpwS.gif

Crucible is P2P? Oh dear.

Indeed it is. This is a decision harsher even than the f2p highscore removal, this actually removes content from f2p in order to allure them into buying p2p.

Huh? F2P never had The Crucible to begin with and the only dynamic area that saw any action in f2p aside from boxing in low-level wildy was multi wilderness up by Greater Demons / Spider Hill. And the Duel Arena since the removal of free trade (or thereabouts) has been F2P for ages - unless they're changing that with the beta? I didn't see anything about that, so if they are, forgive me.

I know that, as a clanner, you're expecting that most of the pking happens in the deep wilderness, but most F2Pers never venture past lvl 5 wilderness, other than the occasional group of friends, rune miners, and clans. That "boxing" is by far the most popular method of pking in F2P, as most can't afford the risk to PK near greaters and risk getting piled by multiple people.

And yes, F2P is keeping Duel Arena, but the Duel Arena will be to F2P pking what the CWA was to clans: a replacement that is just never the same.

22031_s.gif

I know that, as a clanner, you're expecting that most of the pking happens in the deep wilderness, but most F2Pers never venture past lvl 5 wilderness, other than the occasional group of friends, rune miners, and clans. That "boxing" is by far the most popular method of pking in F2P, as most can't afford the risk to PK near greaters and risk getting piled by multiple people.

I never said most of the pking happens in deep wildy. I said that the two areas of action were either low-level single or deep wildy. And I said that boxing was popular - because it is. Now people will box and their opponent can't ditch them, or they can't be pj'd while eating up. I fail to see how that's negative unless you were one of the people who ran away or pj'd. No, the Duel Arena will never quite match what low leveled f2p wildy brought to the table in terms of potential drop loot (though KO potential in f2p is pitiful anyway 1-on-1) but it goes a long way to correct some of the issues that would have been around regardless (tele'ing from dm, pjing, etc) while correcting crippled design practices.

I fail to see how that's "taking away in-game content" from F2P at all. Furthermore, comparing the Duel Arena to Clan Wars Arena is apples and oranges. You can't compare single-way combat to multi-way combat at all.

hzvjpwS.gif

Is there anyway to unsheath your wepaons on a laptop? I have no numpad >_>.

I dont have a numpad, how do I sheath and unsheathe my weapons?

Right click on the minimise/maximise hotbar button and select the Sheathe/Unsheathe option.

hzvjpwS.gif

Seems like it's just OVLs then. I'm not having any trouble drinking other extreme potions that I don't have the level for regardless of the container it's in.

Actually I can now. Too bad I flasked all of mine except the (3) I just tried... -.-

_______

Barrows is waaay harder now. I tried taking all styles because of what I read a while ago on this thread, but it didn't really help enough to justify the inventory usage. In fact I think just Ice Barraging at least all of the melees is probably the best idea, since it seems to freeze every time. This seeming overpoweredness is in direct contrast to Blood(fire) Barrage, which appears to be practically worthless now. I can do thousands of damage a cast but only heal in the double digits. I HOPE that's unintended, because there's no way of legitimizing such a terrible degree of effect. The Brothers' dramatically increased LPs are barely offset by abilities, so it's far from easier, unlike so many other things in beta. The only thing that does seem to have gotten easier is the fact that you can barrage many of the crypt creatures at a time, although that's not particularly helpful since Bloodfire Barrage heals so little and they're far from essential to kill.

Does anyone have full Barrows sets to give on beta? I'd really like to test each of their effects personally but there's no way I'm reseting and I'm certainly not going to camp Barrows for tens of hours.

2dgucz6.png

I never said most of the pking happens in deep wildy. I said that the two areas of action were either low-level single or deep wildy. And I said that boxing was popular - because it is. Now people will box and their opponent can't ditch them, or they can't be pj'd while eating up. I fail to see how that's negative unless you were one of the people who ran away or pj'd. No, the Duel Arena will never quite match what low leveled f2p wildy brought to the table in terms of potential drop loot (though KO potential in f2p is pitiful anyway 1-on-1) but it goes a long way to correct some of the issues that would have been around regardless (tele'ing from dm, pjing, etc) while correcting crippled design practices.

I fail to see how that's "taking away in-game content" from F2P at all. Furthermore, comparing the Duel Arena to Clan Wars Arena is apples and oranges. You can't compare single-way combat to multi-way combat at all.

There aren't really two areas of action for F2P pking; pretty much all pking happens in one on one fights in edge wilderness. Ever since the wildy was removed, all previous popular spots (Dark Knight's Fortress, Giants, Chaos Temple etc) many of with were multi never regained popularity. F2P pking is all about single way combat, and if the entire wilderness was multi there'd be no option to do so. The duel arena is not a valid replacement, as F2P accounts are limited to a max stake of 40k, which really isn't anything (in wild you can agree on making a risk with people, holding cash in your inv etc.) In addition, it's nowhere near the same.

And yet something that I can't comprehend (and I see you can't either), is that people enjoy the madness that is low-wilderness F2P pking. They enjoy the Wilderness environment that they have been used to for years, such as the pitiful KO potential and the randomness that is the Wilderness. The Duel Arena hasn't really caught on in F2P, why should it all of a sudden become fun for people now?

Also, I am not comparing the Duel Arena to the CWA, I am comparing a similarity that they have: they are both crap replacements of some form of pking. The clan world was crippled by the free-trade and wilderness removal, the same way the F2P pking world will be crippled by the single-way wilderness removal. The CWA did not help keep clanners, the same way the Duel Arena won't either.

22031_s.gif

I fail to see how that's "taking away in-game content" from F2P at all.

Previously, f2p could have 1v1 deathmatches uninterrupted by third parties. Now they cannot because the place they used for that is no longer single-way, and there is no replacement for it.

crossed_body.png

Can someone expand on what maging is like? If possible, could you give an overview of how the runes have been reworked to make it cheaper? Just very curious, since this could really impact a lot of activities in RS.

Can someone expand on what maging is like? If possible, could you give an overview of how the runes have been reworked to make it cheaper? Just very curious, since this could really impact a lot of activities in RS.

Strike spells = 1 air + 1 element (only air for air spells, this is the case for all strike-surge)

Bolt = 2 air + 2 element

etc.

Surge = 5 air + 5 element

Barrage spells = 2 blood + 5 other (now all the ancient spells have elements tied to them, as you may already know)

Not exactly sure about the others. Some lower level ancient spells use deaths.

Magic is cheaper, but if you dual wield a wand and a book, you can burn through a lot of runes very quickly. Most of your damage comes from abilities, just like all combat now. The magic abilities seem uninteresting and rather unsatisfying. I wish they'd at least have different colors you glow for different elements - it seems you glow blue for just about every ability. The animations are repetitive shit compared to melee and range.

Ice spells seem super over-powered currently, even more so than they were before. They bind for less time, but now they "stun", preventing enemies from attacking or using abilities. If you dual-cast, you can pretty much stunlock your target indefinitely. Probably isn't 100% foolproof in PvP, but I was getting pwnd by it (only single casted) in Soul Wars.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000