Behind the Scenes � July

Howlin0001

Duo slayer.. Could make it easier for level 3s to do slayer tasks? I know it said xp isnt shared, but if the level 3 is getting points that can be traded for xp? Jagex punches pures in the teeth again?

35b9enp.jpg

"Social Slaying" will presumably preempt the difficulties lower levels will have in an all multi, aggresive slayer world.

It's actually a bit nostalgic to think of *needing* to go there with a friend so that either you don't die, or you can get more than 3 kills per full inventory of food.

Anyway, social slaying/EoC do seem linked in that respect.

In regards to the difficulty of coordinating play-time with a friend living elsewhere, it strikes me as a fine way to get new players to form a rigid RS routine. (*looks for the dollars in the eyes emoticon and wonders why there isn't one on this primarily RS forum..*) What better way to get someone to log in regularly than the pressures of not wanting to let down your very cool new friend.

LgEZt.png

Would it really have killed the skill if they shared exp per kill? It's kind of frustrating. I understand they need to innovate but an update like this would have brought slayer on par with other skill leveling rates. I realize that some slaying purists might not be happy with something like that because of "devaluing" the skill, but it's really what party combat is all about. If I were to dust off my cynical pants, I'd say they didnt' want to offer specifically this feature because they didn't want to give illegal RWT'ing another outlet for revenue when they can capitalize on it themselves...But I'll take my tinfoil hat off for now.

tldr: y u no party system

Yes it would have... Level 3's would stop camping soulwars and start paying slayers for fast assignments to get slayer points to spend on the 10k slayer xp rewards.

Also I'm think that this duo thing will be an extention of the assist system.

Anyone think about what other types of slayer pets we could get to buy? For nostalgias sake I could imagine having baby turoths, dark beasts, etc. I'm trying to think what my favorite slayer creature i would like as a pet (other than the ones gained from soulwars or that are familiars)...

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I find it odd they can predict that the counter will reach 200M in July.

You take account creation samples every so often and you'll be able to make a good estimate on when you'll hit certain milestones. Doesn't take much...

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I find it odd they can predict that the counter will reach 200M in July.

You take account creation samples every so often and you'll be able to make a good estimate on when you'll hit certain milestones. Doesn't take much...

You're right. Its just like how they measure traffic in real life too. They just count how much traffic passes in a period of time. Then they just extrapolate it to match the time needed or something =3.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Social slayer seems ok IF you dislike the task you're doing or are doing slower tasks that give less exp. The only thing duoing actually does is complete tasks faster. If the task gives good exp, you wouldn't want it to finish faster.

Lolwut.

Please elaborate.

Well seeing as the xp is not shared good tasks i.e high slayer xp tasks would be undesirable duo tasks, as you would only get half the xp you usually would

You'd only get half the xp...but in half the time. Therefore it makes 0 impact to getting good xp really.

Also with any task you want it to end as fast as possible, tasks that give the best xp do finish much faster anyway because by being faster they maximise xp per hour, which makes it entirely false to say 'if the task gives good xp, you wouldn't want it to end faster' because anyone who DOES care about good xp will in fact wnat every task to be as fast as possible. I mean sure a 1 hour task killing 60 of a monster that gives 100xp each may seem like good xp, but a 30min task killing 120 of a monster that gives 50xp is much better xp because it is faster.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Social slayer seems ok IF you dislike the task you're doing or are doing slower tasks that give less exp. The only thing duoing actually does is complete tasks faster. If the task gives good exp, you wouldn't want it to finish faster.

Lolwut.

Please elaborate.

Well seeing as the xp is not shared good tasks i.e high slayer xp tasks would be undesirable duo tasks, as you would only get half the xp you usually would

You'd only get half the xp...but in half the time. Therefore it makes 0 impact to getting good xp really.

Also with any task you want it to end as fast as possible, tasks that give the best xp do finish much faster anyway because by being faster they maximise xp per hour, which makes it entirely false to say 'if the task gives good xp, you wouldn't want it to end faster' because anyone who DOES care about good xp will in fact wnat every task to be as fast as possible. I mean sure a 1 hour task killing 60 of a monster that gives 100xp each may seem like good xp, but a 30min task killing 120 of a monster that gives 50xp is much better xp because it is faster.

Thinking about the combat beta I think this might actually ease people's concerns of doing harder monsters when it goes live.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

You know, they did say the cape was going to be dark red, and I highly doubt they're going to re-use the designs from the 5 year cape. That's just tacky.

Have you even seen the 5 year cape? Because it looks nothing like it. Maybe they changed the color theme at the last minute, who knows.

Well, people *did* ask for duo Slayer tasks in the past.

http://forums.zybez.net/topic/1456122-slayer-with-a-friend/

Yes they did.

I find it odd they can predict that the counter will reach 200M in July, though.

The counter is a hoax. It kept increasing exactly at the same speed while the whole RuneScape was down for 2 hours straight few days ago.

I'm pretty sure there is a set date when it will reach "the goal".

Lolwut.

Please elaborate.

If you duo every task, you need half the time and get half the xp. The xp stays the same

If you duo only bad tasks, the percentage of the time spent on good tasks increases, therefore you get more xp. Therefore it's the better way to only duo bad tasks.

Your example can work both ways though. Obviously you would be going as fast as possible if soloing, but why would you want to share a task that takes 20 minutes and gains you 25k experience just so you can move on to the next task that could give much less. The above example is good, but I'd block/skip slower tasks instead of doing them. Again, I think what will decide the update is how they implement the points to work. Duo points will have to be separate from normal points unless Smoking Kills is a requirement for social slayer. This also means the rewards will be different.

I don't think players will be able to team up after starting a task (e.g. killing at least 1 of their task monster).

Your example can work both ways though. Obviously you would be going as fast as possible if soloing, but why would you want to share a task that takes 20 minutes and gains you 25k experience just so you can move on to the next task that could give much less. The above example is good, but I'd block/skip slower tasks instead of doing them. Again, I think what will decide the update is how they implement the points to work. Duo points will have to be separate from normal points unless Smoking Kills is a requirement for social slayer. This also means the rewards will be different.

I don't think players will be able to team up after starting a task (e.g. killing at least 1 of their task monster).

Has anyone thought of the usage to this update? I mea what if you were someone stick on a LRC task, but had the points to cancel it, but couldn't block it either. Suppose you want to save the points to buy some of the rewards for a bit of side cash. Yet now you are stuck between the two. But now with this update you have something of a middle ground where you can finish the task with a friend, but only get about half the xp for duoing the task. I think you all should be looking at the concept rather than the skill efficiency xp-wise.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Carnellian Rising - Finally a quest. Not a very difficult one, but I've always been for story as opposed to nothing but combat (I'm looking at Nomad's Requiem).

Social Slayer - Honestly? I don't know about this update. I usually do things solo (never been a fan of interacting with others), so eh...

10 Year's cape - I'm not anywhere near that (7 years), so I can't say, but I believe it's been anticipated among those who can receive it, so enjoy I suppose.

Olympic Tie-In - I've pretty much stopped doing events short of Easter, Halloween, and Christmas. No comments on this one.

200m - The reward is probably something I won't use, but I'm sure there will be people that can appreciate it.

Combat Beta - Don't really care about the clothes, beta is quite fun to play if you exclude the morons that sit around playing with rares.

Would it really have killed the skill if they shared exp per kill? It's kind of frustrating. I understand they need to innovate but an update like this would have brought slayer on par with other skill leveling rates. I realize that some slaying purists might not be happy with something like that because of "devaluing" the skill, but it's really what party combat is all about. If I were to dust off my cynical pants, I'd say they didnt' want to offer specifically this feature because they didn't want to give illegal RWT'ing another outlet for revenue when they can capitalize on it themselves...But I'll take my tinfoil hat off for now.

Yes it would have... Level 3's would stop camping soulwars and start paying slayers for fast assignments to get slayer points to spend on the 10k slayer xp rewards.

Anyone think about what other types of slayer pets we could get to buy? For nostalgias sake I could imagine having baby turoths, dark beasts, etc. I'm trying to think what my favorite slayer creature i would like as a pet (other than the ones gained from soulwars or that are familiars)...

Don't you need to complete smoking kills to unlock slayer points?

Don't you need to complete smoking kills to unlock slayer points?

Yes

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Carnellian Rising - Finally a quest. Not a very difficult one, but I've always been for story as opposed to nothing but combat (I'm looking at Nomad's Requiem).

Nomad's Requiem actually has a cool backstory concept, you just have to look hard to see it.

OT: Excited about the quest, just because it's a quest after the long break (though tbh we need a good 2-3 hour quest that isn't grandmaster).

Social slayer sounds nice, I personally feel the tasks kuradal gives are too long so this will be good.

Still can't access the 10 year cape, but it's nice they are finally releasing it.

Gielinor games sound like they could be fun.

Don't really care for official rs parties, always turn out to be lagfests, so 200m doesn't interest me.

Beta events will be packed with people who don't know how to use abilities, so won't be as good as could be.

Costumes sound good, but not SoF.

Just another month, not bad but nothing jumps out at me.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Use some sense. Of course it would have needed further tweaking than just going "hey okay, shared exp." One example of something they could have done was make it like the old combat tiering system that you can only pair up with others within a certain level range or something. Or they could've capped how much exp you can gain per-task if they need to go to that extreme to feel "okay" with it; that still would have been an improvement on what was proposed in the BTS.

The point is they tried to stand apart from the crowd so they appeared "different" but failed - there's a reason why party systems work the way they do in SO many MMO's. Look where trying to be different got them for combat - now we're having a huge re-haul and it's looking like any other combat system out there. That's for a reason. Successful mechanics are successful for a reason. Given that, it's hard to believe anyone could think anything other than they missed the boat on a great opportunity.

And on a side note, I would rather have people actually play the content the skill offers than camp a shitty minigame just so they can have the "prestige" of being low CMB with high whatever. (To put it bluntly, I [bleep]ing hate SoulWars and minigames like it.)

hzvjpwS.gif

Has anyone thought of the usage to this update? I mea what if you were someone stick on a LRC task, but had the points to cancel it, but couldn't block it either. Suppose you want to save the points to buy some of the rewards for a bit of side cash. Yet now you are stuck between the two. But now with this update you have something of a middle ground where you can finish the task with a friend, but only get about half the xp for duoing the task. I think you all should be looking at the concept rather than the skill efficiency xp-wise.

True, the update will have uses like that. I look at it from my perspective though. I have 7600 Slayer Points while also having bought all rewards from the shop. Another thing I mentioned earlier is if they will tie in the current point system with the duo-task points, which i don't think they will. I do look forward to seeing how they implement it, but from my current understanding of it, I would've never used it. I'm open for them to change my mind depending on how the system works.

I think this update would be saved if you can get your own mini dark beast.

I think this update would be saved if you can get your own mini dark beast.

I'm not sure if I would like to see that... I can just imagine a black beastly looking bulldog thing running around and it doesn't look interesting. Then again they could pull it off and surprise us all... How about a baby strikewyrm that follows us and pops up every once in a while... Now that sounds really cool!

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

True, the update will have uses like that. I look at it from my perspective though. I have 7600 Slayer Points while also having bought all rewards from the shop. Another thing I mentioned earlier is if they will tie in the current point system with the duo-task points, which i don't think they will. I do look forward to seeing how they implement it, but from my current understanding of it, I would've never used it. I'm open for them to change my mind depending on how the system works.

At that point, the update probably isn't meant for you (No offense). You have more points that you'd ever need and can finish tasks extremely quickly without help :razz:

It could be good for mid/high level slayers that would struggle with certain tasks, or higher levels with lower slayer. Say some level 110 has a LRC task. Those are mind-numbingly slow and boring, and at that level they hit just hard enough that you have to bank often. Now that 110 can get a friend with the same problem in, and they can get it done faster.

At that point, the update probably isn't meant for you (No offense). You have more points that you'd ever need and can finish tasks extremely quickly without help :razz:

Yeah, that's why I'm not really into it. If they add in a few rewards i might do it for those, but not an update I'm especially looking forward to. :P

I've always liked that in RS you can effectively train solo without going through the trouble of creating parties and constantly having to manage and maintain a certain level/number of people ratio, recruiting when somebody leaves, etc. A party system could be fun, but it'd depend on how it is implemented. Most games do it wrong and it's a pain.

2480+ total

I've always liked that in RS you can effectively train solo without going through the trouble of creating parties and constantly having to manage and maintain a certain level/number of people ratio, recruiting when somebody leaves, etc. A party system could be fun, but it'd depend on how it is implemented. Most games do it wrong and it's a pain.

^^^^ THIS

I hate Dungeoneering because solo is massively less efficient than groups, and I'm a solo player at heart. I hang out in the HYT FC, and I'm a member of the HYT Clan, but those are fairly recent developments. I like having options to go solo or with a group for the same skill, because that means different people can enjoy training the skill in the way that best suits them, I'd just rather not see such a massive advantage to one method or the other as seen in DG, and it looks like this duo slaying will accomplish just that (though it does depend a bit on the rewards for duo slaying points).

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg