"Insight Venture Partners" filtered on the RSOF

Logdotzip

But they havent blocked critisism. Only use of their name. Im sorry, but if you were to write "they ruined the game" on RSOF, 9/10 who know about IVPs existance, are going to know what youre talking about, regardless of it being censored or not.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

But they havent blocked critisism. Only use of their name. Im sorry, but if you were to write "they ruined the game" on RSOF, 9/10 who know about IVPs existance, are going to know what youre talking about, regardless of it being censored or not.

It just tells so much about their stance to this whole thing. Makes me sick.

RSN

J O N I 2002-05 | Latefox 06 | Mave 10-12 | Oh Maven 12-

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is they did this to prevent people hating on IVP on RSOF appearing in Google searches.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Insight Ventures Partners is an offensive term and it should be censored.

Funny because it's true.

They have brought this upon themselves though, greed doesn't create respect just animosity.

This.

All the investors seem to do is act stuck up on their high horse, throwing crap left and right without listening to feedback. If the community is blocked from expressing themselves one place, they will find somewhere else, or find a way around the block. The Solomon's Shop video had ratings and comments disabled, so people moved their rage to their other videos.

On another note. I remember playing MapleStory for the first time when Wizet owned the game (before Nexon / IVP took over). It's amazing how much worse it's become in reguards to RWTing.

We have players complaining about the use of common business tactics that should not matter to them. What I stated previously about jagex being a company that made players feel entitled to things plays in with this because now so many players feel that because they pay for a service that have some entitlement and say as far as ownership of the business goes.

But it matters to them because they're emotionally invested to the game while still paying to play. And just because they're emotionally invested doesn't mean their knee-jerk reactions should automatically be ignored. Being a customer does grant a "higher status" than not, which fosters the sense of entitlement. You get so upset that people are over-demanding, yet look through RS history to only see why. And yet because of that over-demanding nature, the game has seen some of the best tweaks and content releases because of it. You're whining about whining, with no regards to what that ends up producing.

This is not the case and it needs to be addressed, boundaries set in place and players need to understand that jagex business practices other than customer service are offhands. When their business practices become unethical that's when the customer has a legitimate case against jagex or it's investors.

Many people feel the practices currently employed are unethical. And again, customer service by-and-large consists of monitoring your customer feedback and adjusting/compensating/whatever where possible. But you don't have to take it upon yourself to be the community's personal boundary draw..er. That's not your job, and you're not achieving the goals you're setting out to. You end up making the problem worse.

hzvjpwS.gif

To whoever pointed out that censoring the name is only going to make people talk about Insight more: you are correct.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

To whoever pointed out that censoring the name is only going to make people talk about Insight more: you are correct.

But they don't care what you say about IVP unless it is going to appear in search engines. That's why the phrase 'Insight Venture Partners' is just the bit that's censored.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

thing is, it will still show up on google, itll show up from threads like these

so all the negative press will still be there, just on one less forum/website.

but as a result of this change, more people are going to be talking ill of them, so technically they just made things worse if you ask me.

but as a result of this change, more people are going to be talking ill of them, so technically they just made things worse if you ask me.

And actually its better for them to have the complaints on the RSOF because they can use robots.txt to stop google indexing the rants. When people post about them on other sites they have no say in their page rank or search results etc.
  • Like 1

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

And actually its better for them to have the complaints on the RSOF because they can use robots.txt to stop google indexing the rants. When people post about them on other sites they have no say in their page rank or search results etc.

Just another typical Jagex knee-jerk failed fix to a problem it seems ^^ and surely there is ways to bypass the filter if people saw fit, they already do it ingame as it is or used to pre filter removal

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Agreed, this is known as the Streisand Effect, which basically means that any direct effort to suppress any information that appears online causes it to gain more publicity. I'm not convinced that the people who ordered the censor are so technically unsavvy to not know about that though, surely there must be more to it. Search engines are a good theory, but even then it sounds like a risky strategy. If they become sufficiently hated enough, say, by actually introducing proper full blown cash-for-coins RWT or otherwise destroying the game, people would likely start Googlebombing and publicly advertising them as "people to avoid if you're a game developer".

I don't know, maybe they are just incompetent at basic PR.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Alg, you beat me to it.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I don't know, maybe they are just incompetent at basic PR.

Jagex always have been. It's a nice bit of consistency from Insight Venture Partners during a time when they're breaking every other tradition and stance...

:twss:

They really, really are. I made a post, I forget where, explaining how they could've handled these last 6 months better. Effigy nerf happens with Runespan update, so it doesn't imply that effigies were nerfed for SoF. Announce similar update planned for agility*. Also, when SoF came out, announce the combat update and the upcoming beta then. Release a diary or whatever they're called about it, some basic ideas, a little art. Tell them we'll hear more in a month or two (again, can't exactly remember timeline) when the beta is close to coming out. OOoooo, and they could've mentioned the whole "1 year member thing" OR if you buy a years subscription in the next month or so.

*Doesn't matter how far in the planning process it is. Even one meeting about it would allow them to say this truthfully. And if they lie, how would we know?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

We have players complaining about the use of common business tactics that should not matter to them. What I stated previously about jagex being a company that made players feel entitled to things plays in with this because now so many players feel that because they pay for a service that have some entitlement and say as far as ownership of the business goes.

But it matters to them because they're emotionally invested to the game while still paying to play. And just because they're emotionally invested doesn't mean their knee-jerk reactions should automatically be ignored. Being a customer does grant a "higher status" than not, which fosters the sense of entitlement. You get so upset that people are over-demanding, yet look through RS history to only see why. And yet because of that over-demanding nature, the game has seen some of the best tweaks and content releases because of it. You're whining about whining, with no regards to what that ends up producing.

This is not the case and it needs to be addressed, boundaries set in place and players need to understand that jagex business practices other than customer service are offhands. When their business practices become unethical that's when the customer has a legitimate case against jagex or it's investors.

Many people feel the practices currently employed are unethical. And again, customer service by-and-large consists of monitoring your customer feedback and adjusting/compensating/whatever where possible. But you don't have to take it upon yourself to be the community's personal boundary draw..er. That's not your job, and you're not achieving the goals you're setting out to. You end up making the problem worse.

While I can sympathize with the emotional investments players make because I myself a emotionally invested. I will freely admit that seeing some nice content such as the amazing assassin gear costing a whopping $40 (including the less desirable smoke bomb) does erk me. But I will recognize jagex is a company that is expanding where it is possible. I recognize that all their efforts aren't just in runescape, but also in their game studios for other games as well as in the researching means to make more money. Micro transactions are one of those means and I accept it. At one point I played runescape to do everything, be everywhere and get everything, but I recognize that it's not feasible without wasting way too much time so the point is players should evaluate their situation and go from there.

Who is to judge what jagex does is unethical? Mind you let's keep this purely about micro transactions and not talk about SoF because I agree that SoF is gambling. The players aren't some government agency coming down on jagex for their bad behavior. As far as I'm concerned the players are more like people cryiv foul because they see something they want and cat have without either forking over time to get a level or the cash required.

Another thing... Please don't discuss monitoring customer feedback as far as runescape goes. These forums and the RSOF themselves are riddled with pathetic cries from players who are over critical and who short change jagex in their credit. Getting a reasonable customer feedback is a daunting effort when it comes to Solomon and SoF whiners because they either hate it because it takes money to get anything decent or they feel entitled to do something that doesn't involve real world money to get it.

• Like 1

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Because whining gets you no where in life. It's a lesson taught later in life, but jagex and it's investors are making attempts to curtail the whining. There are things worth fighting for in life and a companies personal investments shouldn't be on the gamers main discussion as far as fighting for what's right for the game.

What utter nonsense. Of course the power-relations directly affects the in-game content, community and the players, in a very real way. Some would argue that as of late, the current regime(IVP) has made some rather controversial choices, and the generation of updates has been substandard. The implication that this does not concern us in any is completely ludicrous. I can't believe you actually managed to say that with a straight face(presumably).

Furthermore, simply discussing these sort of things is not "whining", it's called discussion. This sort of dismissive attitude any time a discussion comes up, "ZOMG you're whining, stop it!It won't accomplish anything" is moronic. If you aren't interested in discussion, why are you on a forum?It's a far more egregious attempt at censorship than Jagex's aimless attempt to censor IVP.

I agree with the other posters in this thread, it won't do much to handle complaints, it will only exacerbate the situation.

Pretty underhanded move, there goes any respect they had left. If anything this just validates all the rants people have made about it.

2480+ total

I should point out(if it hasn't already been pointed out so), that Jagex has always censored certain things through the filter for political leverage, or to stifle discussion on certain things. So this isn't something new, by any means.

I don't understand why people are complaining about one of Jagex's private investors. Would some of you rather have had the game go under (well, metaphorically speaking)? As far as Jagex censoring IVP on their forums, I don't see what the big deal is. It's really nothing that should be of concern to any Runescape player.

I don't understand why people are complaining about one of Jagex's private investors. Would some of you rather have had the game go under (well, metaphorically speaking)? As far as Jagex censoring IVP on their forums, I don't see what the big deal is. It's really nothing that should be of concern to any Runescape player.

It becomes a point of major concern when Jagex can't seem to make anything sustainable other than RuneScape, and even then they're slowly sucking what morals it had right out.

• Like 2

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

The problem with Jagex's other projects was that (mostly) the only people who played them were current/former players of runescape. They never really tapped into markets other than their own.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people are complaining about one of Jagex's private investors.

They are doing so because it directly influences us. Their involvement directly influences the game, and some people feel, that lately it has influenced the game for the worse; with a great deal of Jagex's effort being spent on money grabbing micro transaction content, as opposed to effort spent on any actual, real in-game content(of which there has been little, lately). IVP clearly is not interested in the gaming industry, aside from how much money they can rake out of it. Unlike the Gowers, that is not their passion. They don't have any attachment to the game or its community. Only in money. This negatively affects us. For the Gowers, it was different, were they interested in maximizing profits? Yes. But not at any costs. Why not? Because Runescape was their baby. They had a passion and emotional attachment to the game so they were able to balance the various interests(more profit vs a better and affordable game). There's nothing wrong with pursing money. However, IVP's interests are directly opposed to that of the players. Whereas the Gowers balanced the interests, IVP is disproportionately interested in making more money. I am not saying they are bad people or are deliberately trying to destroy RS, all I am saying is they don't understand nor relate to the game the way the Gowers use to(or a game developer would), and that's a problem. It is important for people in power to tied to the land, as the old nationalists use to say.

It's the same reason why people complain when foreign industry starts overtaking domestic industry, domestically because local industry actually has to deal with the consequences of their actions; because they live where the business takes places. Foreign industry can just pack their bags when shit hits the fan, and thus they are detached from the process.

Would some of you rather have had the game go under (well, metaphorically speaking)?

I highly doubt that these people were the only investors in town when Andrew sold off his shares.

As far as Jagex censoring IVP on their forums, I don't see what the big deal is. It's really nothing that should be of concern to any Runescape player.

It isn't a big deal, and certainly not something new on Jagex's part, you're right about that.

• Like 2

I should point out(if it hasn't already been pointed out so), that Jagex has always censored certain things through the filter for political leverage, or to stifle discussion on certain things. So this isn't something new, by any means.

Examples?

2480+ total