"Insight Venture Partners" filtered on the RSOF

Logdotzip

Please merge this into an already existing topic if a better one exists for it, thanks.

There's nothing more to what I have to say than that, Insight Venture Partners, typed as such, is now filtered on the RSOF

I made a video about it if anyone cares to watch, but it's nothing most of you well-informed tipiters wouldn't already know

VIDEO (More Detail)

Because whining gets you no where in life. It's a lesson taught later in life, but jagex and it's investors are making attempts to curtail the whining. There are things worth fighting for in life and a companies personal investments shouldn't be on the gamers main discussion as far as fighting for what's right for the game.

• Like 3

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Because whining gets you no where in life. It's a lesson taught later in life, but jagex and it's investors are making attempts to curtail the whining. There are things worth fighting for in life and a companies personal investments shouldn't be on the gamers main discussion as far as fighting for what's right for the game.

Out of the many theories behind this move, this is what stands out the best to me (And I'msure if you thought through this a little more, you'd see where I'm coming from.):

Censoring a word doesn't remove the context. They're used to limit the damage until a moderator can handle the situation. In this case, it's limiting the negative press IVP gets - which honestly makes sense for a business, right? Completely fair move and the best they can do in the current situation.

But to address your theory...it doesn't really "stop" whining. After all, how exactly does

This is all IVP's fault, they're ruining runescape. Blahblahblah tinfoil hat conspiracy blah. Blah blah Insight Venture Partners blah blah smacked my mother and sacrified a small goat blah blah.

and

This is all [censored]'s fault, they're ruining runescape. Blahblahblah tinfoil hat conspiracy blah. Blah blah Insight Venture Partners blah blah smacked my mother and sacrified a small goat blah blah.

...differ?

The whining still exists. It exists elsewhere, on fansites, other social media, news articles, etc. And hat knowledge is not erased. Hell, they even encourage fansites to thrive (up to a point.) They know that those things are good for business, and to erase that knowledge would take steps where the cons outweigh the pros. (for now) But it will help them "clean house" on their official forums, which more users see per day than most of the big name fansites do.

So will whining stop? Lol no. That's a silly assumption. But it will help them get a little more of a clean image. Even if whiners are ridiculed, it creates a hostile environment when you have e-crusaders attacking those who complain in some misguided sense of righteousness that inevitably leads to flaming and a degraded sense of community. *cough*

hzvjpwS.gif

Out of the many theories behind this move, this is what stands out the best to me (And I'msure if you thought through this a little more, you'd see where I'm coming from.):

Censoring a word doesn't remove the context. They're used to limit the damage until a moderator can handle the situation. In this case, it's limiting the negative press IVP gets - which honestly makes sense for a business, right? Completely fair move and the best they can do in the current situation.

But to address your theory...it doesn't really "stop" whining. After all, how exactly does

This is all IVP's fault, they're ruining runescape. Blahblahblah tinfoil hat conspiracy blah. Blah blah Insight Venture Partners blah blah smacked my mother and sacrified a small goat blah blah.

and

This is all [censored]'s fault, they're ruining runescape. Blahblahblah tinfoil hat conspiracy blah. Blah blah Insight Venture Partners blah blah smacked my mother and sacrified a small goat blah blah.

...differ?

The whining still exists. It exists elsewhere, on fansites, other social media, news articles, etc. And hat knowledge is not erased. Hell, they even encourage fansites to thrive (up to a point.) They know that those things are good for business, and to erase that knowledge would take steps where the cons outweigh the pros. (for now) But it will help them "clean house" on their official forums, which more users see per day than most of the big name fansites do.

So will whining stop? Lol no. That's a silly assumption. But it will help them get a little more of a clean image. Even if whiners are ridiculed, it creates a hostile environment when you have e-crusaders attacking those who complain in some misguided sense of righteousness that inevitably leads to flaming and a degraded sense of community. *cough*

That was my whole point. I honestly don't expect to see whining to cease or to draw out some crusade... Maybe my words seem to convey that. But I feel that someone, preferably fan site owners and jagex themselves take a stand to verbally and expressedly staunch the negativity towards investors and play a part in cleaning up or containing the mess all these people are making. At the very least these people are ruining the community and experience. Even if they declared naysaying about investors as rants and promptly moved topics I would be fine with that.

For those who are against IVP there is a common rule families tell ther kids when they feel entitled to having a degree of authority in their families house. Tht saying is "if you don't like the rules you can move out." The same should be applied to runescape, jagex and it's members wether they are paying or not. If you do not like te service you ca stop paying and move on. This is how many services are... You are given terms of service, or at the very least a basic knowledge of them and if you don't agree to them you have the option to back out. Runescape doesn't force you to keep paying, but your desire to play the game does.

You as a paying member are not entitled to pull any strings on the jagex marionette except the option to pay. When you pay you are given membership benefits - a paid for service. Do not assume that because you pay the membership fee that you are entitled anything other than maybe customer service, but F2P has that as well, and loads of more content. Jagex may point out the fact that because you are a paying member they have an exclusive ear out for your concerns, but that is primarily for its game content and services. IPV is neither as it is part of the purely business side of things. People who invest in companies do so for monetary gain while people who pay out for membership do so for entainment.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Try the other two investment firms, the Raine group and Spectrum Equity.

This really is hilarious to see for me. I don't know any other game studios has to censor their investors on their forums just because of how hated they are.

Oh btw, I hope you investors lose even more money as more and more former rs players become haters.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

People are only angry at the investors because they feel that through micro transactions their "content" that always flowed freely is now being sold in these micro transactions. Runescape has always been a game where members were told in some form or fasion that they were entitled to pretty much everything under the sun as far as runescape goes, but no actual boundaries were set other than in game rules.

Many of the MMOs out there have it to where cosmetics are they only pieces on the RWT menu. In my opinion jagex is following the straight and narrow along with these other MMOs by only making cosmetics part of their own RWT menu. Should jagex make it to where large game content such as quests, areas, skills, large chunks of xp become buyable then there is an issue where the membership we pay for starts to actually lose its value. because I am a paying member and expect to see content for my payments I will only have an issue if both quality and quanity of actual membership content begins lacking should they go said route.

Somewhere, in an old newpost possibly on the forums, a jmod made a very compelling coment about cosmetic items that were being suggested that would never make it into the game because of where the game was set and how the lore was playing out. I believe this comment was made prior to even the loyalty rewards... Now look what we have... We have katanas, flaming skulls, skin dyes, colonial outfits, Aztec outfits, etc. The actual usage and play cosmetics in MMOs wasn't meant to mean anything to the game short of making players look unique, different, cool, etc. My point is that cosmetics are here for nothing else, but for cosmetic reasons and I feel that just as other MMOs do so Jagex has, in a gamers moral sense, the right to sell cosmetics because they do not bear any distinct unfair advantage.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

That was my whole point. I honestly don't expect to see whining to cease or to draw out some crusade... Maybe my words seem to convey that. But I feel that someone, preferably fan site owners and jagex themselves take a stand to verbally and expressedly staunch the negativity towards investors and play a part in cleaning up or containing the mess all these people are making. At the very least these people are ruining the community and experience. Even if they declared naysaying about investors as rants and promptly moved topics I would be fine with that.

Both sides have equal hands in "ruining" it. By feeding the pointless debates, you reach a point where your words no longer help, but in fact hurt. The bottom line of it is, eventually you fuel the fire despite your best intentions not to. There are spurts of things that will cause intense satisfaction or disappointment, and they come and go. The disappointment naturally sticks in our minds as the most prominent. The role of the individual with the goal of improving the community has one course of action that is often the most forgotten: ignoring it. If a fansite, say tip.it, were to start removing topics of conversation about anything negative ever, we would be culling discussion and inevitably forcing it to grow in the directions the owners/moderators/administrators would want rather than the community. That is a practice that carries significant danger and can possibly kill the community they're trying to cultivate. We are a community that is entirely based on discussion. If people don't want to see certain topics of discussion, they need only ignore it until the fever dies down.

If you do not like te service you ca stop paying and move on. This is how many services are... You are given terms of service, or at the very least a basic knowledge of them and if you don't agree to them you have the option to back out. Runescape doesn't force you to keep paying, but your desire to play the game does.

Quitting does nothing to initiate the change they hope to see. They have no reason to quit if they still partially enjoy the game yet are upset with some direction the games take. Their best option becomes playing, but either complaining (not-constructive) or giving feedback (complaining/constructive mix). The "Don't like it? Geeeeeeeeeeet out!" mentality only carries you so far, and it's a selfish way to serve your needs rather than the "greater good." It's honestly no better than the apathy bred by people in the no-reason-to-quit-but-no-reason-to-stop-complaining crowd because they both result in stagnation.

Do not assume that because you pay the membership fee that you are entitled anything other than maybe customer service, but F2P has that as well, and loads of more content.

Part of good Customer Service stems from listening to customer feedback - the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all. They're experts at doing this and sifting through the crap to find the nuggets of gold. More than that, it's a mark of poor leadership to ignore anything. Even if it's one sentence in ten that provides vital feedback, it's worth listening to. Granted, on the scale in which Jagex operates it might be one topic in thousands rather than sentences, but you should get the picture by now. Jagex had no direct competition until recently (LoL, WoT, etc) in the free-model/low end gaming area. Not good competition, anyway. But now that competition has increased, the need to keep your customers happy (and happy customers have the deepest wallets) is more important than ever. We know that, they know that. With that knowledge, some people stretch that entitlement too far, I agree with you. But to be so black-and-white by saying, "they owe you nothing!" is an overly cynical approach to a very practical problem.

hzvjpwS.gif

They had to censor the name 'Jeff Horing' on the RSOF too after the SOF buyable spins update, so knowing that, this isn't too surprising. Jeff Horing is managing director of IVP and on the board of directors for Jagex.

Censorship gone mad tbh, maybe in future IVP and Jagex will think twice before changing there own rules on rwt to make a quick buck from there players.

Overall though I can understand why they had to, to protect IVP's status and public image. Just a shame that it's all self inflicted on IVP's & Jagex's behalf.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

I wouldn't be surprised if they approached fansites and asked them to prevent people complaining about IVP.

They have brought this upon themselves though, greed doesn't create respect just animosity.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I don't see why this is a thing. Given that everyone already knows how the vast majority of people on RSOF feel about 'new' Runescape, IVP and such, and the general content of the posts, it changes nothing. We still know who you are [bleep]ing about, regardless of whether you say [iVP] have ruined runescape or [Censored]. Frankly, I wish they'd go further and just make a single thread for people to [bleep] about NewScape and delete all posts outside of that one thread. Atleast then the shit is concentrated.

Censorship gone mad tbh, maybe in future IVP and Jagex will think twice before changing there own rules on rwt to make a quick buck from there players.

Overall though I can understand why they had to, to protect IVP's status and public image. Just a shame that it's all self inflicted on IVP's & Jagex's behalf.

You say it's censorship gone mad, then go on to say it's understandable to protect a status in the public eye. What even.

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I don't see why this is a thing. Given that everyone already knows how the vast majority of people on RSOF feel about 'new' Runescape, IVP and such, and the general content of the posts, it changes nothing. We still know who you are [bleep]ing about, regardless of whether you say [iVP] have ruined runescape or [Censored]. Frankly, I wish they'd go further and just make a single thread for people to [bleep] about NewScape and delete all posts outside of that one thread. Atleast then the shit is concentrated.

You say it's censorship gone mad, then go on to say it's understandable to protect a status in the public eye. What even.

I can understand why IVP felt the need to get the censor but at the same time I don't think they deserve the censor, they bring it on themselves ruining games to further there greed, that being said censoring IVP will do nothing to stop the complaints, and ultimately do nothing to improve there 'image'. Honestly I consider companies like IVP nothing but parasites, If they can't handle the heat of changing a game that didn't need endorsed rwt for nearly 10+ years get out of the kitchen.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

@ Kimberley:

I agree that both sides play a hand in these things, but honestly there has to be a dividing line between business and game play. We have players complaining about the use of common business tactics that should not matter to them. What I stated previously about jagex being a company that made players feel entitled to things plays in with this because now so many players feel that because they pay for a service that have some entitlement and say as far as ownership of the business goes. This is not the case and it needs to be addressed, boundaries set in place and players need to understand that jagex business practices other than customer service are offhands. When their business practices become unethical that's when the customer has a legitimate case against jagex or it's investors.

Ill state it again... This whole argument stems from the players feeling of entitlement and they need to get over it. Opinions about their business practices are fine, but what I've been seeing is straight up whining and not just opinions.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Prolly the same reason you cannot comment or like/dislike any of their YT vids either...

This tells me, much like many religious posters, that they know damn well what they are doing isn't going to be liked by the vast and sane majority...

So open to any feedback? Forget that.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

That's interesting to know but it will only fuel new complaints on the forums, at least for the time being.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Although I'm sure IVP haven't learned anything from MapleStory, I'm pretty sure Jagex will not be as easy of an victim as Nexon was. We've still been getting pretty good upgrades and updates lately if you ask me. I guess I still have some faith in Jagex after all, even though some of the original Jagex members have already left the ship. And if the end is really upon us it will hopely be gentle and slow.

And yes, whine as much as you can at the forums, do it a lot but do it nicely. They must hear us. It does make a difference, even if it's not much I think it's worth it. I'm not gonna 'quit' yet, but if it gets any worse I'll be the first ones to hop out.

At least I still have Valve<3*hugs*

RSN

J O N I 2002-05 | Latefox 06 | Mave 10-12 | Oh Maven 12-

companies are not people and deserve every bit of criticism they get. Blocking criticism just proves how much more you need it and how much less you should be trusted.

• Like 6

companies are not people and deserve every bit of criticism they get. Blocking criticism just proves how much more you need it and how much less you should be trusted.

Stole the words from my fingers.

RSN

J O N I 2002-05 | Latefox 06 | Mave 10-12 | Oh Maven 12-