Botany Bay & Ozan Quest Double Bill - Sept. 26th, 2012

Dexek

Well I was doing my sandstone for the day and decided to head over to red chinchompa grounds to check it out. Had a nice little convo with the one person there who was busy looking for their strange rocks.

Now the big question, is whether this is still the post-update lull in bots, people not wanting to get their botted accounts banned and so not botting, or if the update is working. Quick look at the bot site sadly seems to indicate it's the first two, with people claiming to have been botting no problem for hours, and the only "omg I got banned" posts seemingly coming from people trolling the botters.

Hopefully it is working though.

Riqualyn.png

Earlier when I was online, Frosts were desolate.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Untitled.png

How hard is this to fix. Honestly.

Skin issues still abound as well. Even in newly updated Al-Kharid some NPCs are spotted light and dark. The same still happens with Robes of Subjugation, where the upper face and parts of skin that show are light skin by default. Not to mention Goliath and Spellcaster Gloves still have green particles, although perhaps there's no hurry to fix those since they'll soon be relegated to Chaotic clones anyway.

_______

The quest (singular, just because they decide to split it up to make it seem more filling doesn't make it 2 quests!) was actually quite satisfying and at least equivalent to One Piercing Note. As with that quest, the voice acting and music are both well done, and most of the quest features NPCs and areas that have been updated to current graphical standards. The future possibilities for desert lore are also quite intriguing.

I decided to go back to the tunnels for the extras and noticed one of the bugs shimmering like in the quest. When I hit it, I got the spin earning sound and in my chatbox it said I'd received a spin token, although I didn't actually get it...

2dgucz6.png

Well I was doing my sandstone for the day and decided to head over to red chinchompa grounds to check it out. Had a nice little convo with the one person there who was busy looking for their strange rocks.

Now the big question, is whether this is still the post-update lull in bots, people not wanting to get their botted accounts banned and so not botting, or if the update is working. Quick look at the bot site sadly seems to indicate it's the first two, with people claiming to have been botting no problem for hours, and the only "omg I got banned" posts seemingly coming from people trolling the botters.

Hopefully it is working though.

There is the three strikes thing.... We'll see how it goes though...

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

i was expecting World 1 to have some bots... none whatsoever at the moment.

As for the quest, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. The rewards were of course "meh", but I don't mind that at all :) .

Oh yeah: YOBO!

22031_s.gif

Quests were fun and tie together the start of Icalathon's Little Helper and Do No Evil together nicely with previous desert quests.

Cutscene's were interesting, definitely a unique style to them, Did kind of feel like one quest cut in half though, understand why it was required with the f2p issues of access to desert etc.

My only issue were the skin tones on faces especially, leela had at least 4 skin tones on her face and body the entirety, as did kali/amuscat, maybe that was just me but I don't know.

Loved the new animations on agility.

Going to try W2 botany bay for pitchfork next :)

And one final note, QP Cape maintained :D

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Blue dragon bots are still alive though.

Though there are 25k+ players online less than usual. Earlier today I saw only 50k players as opposed to 85k now.

If you see a lot of bots in one area then make sure you report them. Jagex mentioned that they are using a "hot spot" mechanism where they monitor heavily botted areas closer.

• Like 1

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

I wish we could get the prisoner costume the bots are wearing. That would make a good reward.

I actually like the normal pitchfork better, looks more authentic than the golden one. Jag is obsessed with golden things.

2480+ total

Though there are 25k+ players online less than usual. Earlier today I saw only 50k players as opposed to 85k now.

If you see a lot of bots in one area then make sure you report them. Jagex mentioned that they are using a "hot spot" mechanism where they monitor heavily botted areas closer.

Did that,

but you know, last I checked it's not a secret that blue dragons in tavelry dungeon are heavily botted. So kind of surprised.

But it does seem like there is a little bit less of them because I saw people that look like actual players down there.

but mostly bots.

Seventi.png

Today's updates look great. I can't wait to get home and try them.

I'm glad Botany Bay is available to everyone. :)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Today's updates look great. I can't wait to get home and try them.

I'm glad Botany Bay is available to everyone. smile.png

I'm not sure how much sense it would make to limit it to only P2P. But yeah, good that it's available for everyone.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Not sure how I feel about Botany Bay. Yes, Bots are a blight to the game. But so is barbarism. I use the word barbarism loosely, since the subjects are not human and should not be thought of as full humans. I don't think that making a show out of the bans is the way to go.

All the Al-Kharid stuff is really cool, though. I always did like the Desert Pantheon and this was a great way to introduce them. I sorta wish they scrapped the involvement with Draynor entirely, though. It in no way ties into the theme or plot of the quest. It could've been written just as easily to be entirely within the borders of Al-Kharid. I see no reason to include Draynor other than to follow tradition.

Edited by Kimberly
removed off topic post

I really want to get in on some of this action, but sadly I'm still in the midst of account recovery... e-mail me back, CustServ!

Not too excited about Botany Bay itself (we get to vote on it being eaten wooo), but the other updates they're doing to deal with the bots behind the scenes are veeery cool. Neat to see that in-game reporting can have an immediate effect!

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Need to borrow torva and divine so I can do these ASAP as soon as I finish gathering 15 bear asses for a quest in wow!

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Not sure how I feel about Botany Bay. Yes, Bots are a blight to the game. But so is barbarism. I use the word barbarism loosely, since the subjects are not human and should not be thought of as full humans. I don't think that making a show out of the bans is the way to go.

LEAVE THE BOTS ALLLLLL-HONE!

Seriously? Come back to reality. It's players who are cheating at the game and then become banned. Jagex just decided to introduce some fodder along with it. The real update isn't botany bay. The real update is the detection system. We will see how well it works....I'm reporting every bot I see in hopes of seeing the little hand come down. So far, no love.

To loosely quote Jagex "The new system works fairly quickly before they can cause any sort of economical impact". Either this part of the update is still in the works, or it's just another failed attempt at stopping botting.

w4M8t.png

From what I've seen and read, Botany Bay is nothing more than a spectacle. Players have no say on who gets taken there or what happens to them. Every bot that goes there is getting banned regardless.

I'm much more interested in the supposedly coming second bot nuke, but I doubt it will stop bots for long.

... "hot spot mechanism" ...? Seriously?

I wandered past the red chins hunting grounds yesterday while on my way to gather redstone on World 25, and there were tonnes of bots still operating there. I stood there for a good 15 minutes hoping to see a "fickle finger of fate" and didn't see one, nor did any of the bots seem any worse for wear either ...

<_<

nyuseg.png

I get the feeling though Botany Bay has launched the detection system may still be on training wheels as it were, sort of Jagex looking at data on who it *wants* to ban in a given area they haven't tackled yet to triple check for false positives before telling it yes you are picking these up correctly be free to ban hammer, afterall they did say it is a learning detection system or perhaps the sheer volume of bots is causing bottlenecking issues, many of the larger worlds seem to be rather laggy.

@above Jagex did say that though it was in reference to discovering loopholes and such rather than initial roll out, the point being player reports would create a 'hotspot map' of where bots are so they can look at the area and train the detection to deal with that area. Which would kinda fit in with my optimistic stance on this things rollout, could be a case of it's still being trained for the chin bots etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

From what I've seen and read, Botany Bay is nothing more than a spectacle. Players have no say on who gets taken there or what happens to them. Every bot that goes there is getting banned regardless.

I'm much more interested in the supposedly coming second bot nuke, but I doubt it will stop bots for long.

From what I understand, heat maps are supposed to build up in botting areas, and the system has been profiling accounts for a while now. Just visited green dragon bots. There was at least 30 bots there. So far, I'm not impressed.

w4M8t.png

LEAVE THE BOTS ALLLLLL-HONE!

Seriously? Come back to reality. It's players who are cheating at the game and then become banned. Jagex just decided to introduce some fodder along with it. The real update isn't botany bay. The real update is the detection system. We will see how well it works....I'm reporting every bot I see in hopes of seeing the little hand come down. So far, no love.

To loosely quote Jagex "The new system works fairly quickly before they can cause any sort of economical impact". Either this part of the update is still in the works, or it's just another failed attempt at stopping botting.

Yes, obviously the real update is not botany bay.

Doesn't mean it's not there. I never said I didn't like anti-boy updates. I just don't like the public spectacle part about it.

• Like 1

May I ask where this notion of a heat map comes from in the first place? As in, was it mentioned in a livestream, did a mod tell... where's the link to the official source? I ask, because I saw it get dropped into the community, but I don't recall it seeing on any Runescape hosted webpage or in any of their livestreams.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.