Jagex 2012 Financial Report (Sort of)

Nah they were never bankrupt or even near. Profits were slightly down though from what I remember due to people quitting membership. The RWT they shoved in was, in all honesty, to try and get more money for their business partners etc - think when SoF and Solomons first came out people were saying that the partners etc were the same people who put RWT into MapleStory.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

It's understandable in the current climate why companies would rather keep money in the bank than invest into their products. There's very little certainty they'd see a decent return on it.

Besides, RS3 is generating enough media interest; interestingly, not all of that interest has come out of the MMORPG sub-culture of gaming websites. It has received a moderate amount of mainstream attention too.

I don't see why Jagex needs that much profit... to me it sounds like there's another five million pounds that should be put into making EoC good sad.png.

Can't think of many businesses who aren't profit oriented.

Doing this in fun jest, but have you thought about any non-for profit organizations?

1/10.

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

The Cambridge-based company, whose flagship role-playing title RuneQuest has more than 200m participants worldwide, has signed a publishing deal with Brazilian internet service provider UOL for Portuguese-language versions of its games.

Just when you think Jagex's mainstream press coverage has started looking better, the Financial Times calls Jagex's flagship game "RuneQuest." :?

I would LOVE to play this RuneQuest you speak of...

Is it as good as EverScape? I'm playing Scape for Ever now anyways... so...

• Like 2

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Considering how much money they've made from it, I can see how they might think that.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

We introduced micro payments into Runescape a year ago and that’s been well received.

:shock:

Makes me wonder what they'd consider poorly received.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Money speaks louder than words; the vocal players that complain on the RSOF mean nothing compared to the silent ones who buy RuneCoins and/or SoF spins.

They could see that X amount of players are complaining against SGS/SoF on the forums, and yet they can also see how many players are spending money on the microtransactions.

• Like 6

An important consideration too is that Jagex has investors, and their investors expect to see a return on thier money. They have to reach a certain profitability to keep the financial backing from pulling the proverbial carpet out, and there is an expectation that the investors will make their money back and keep making more money off Jagex. Doesn't matter how interested Jagex is in aquiring as much of the worlds money as possible, because it's a sure bet that the venture capital firms that own them are very interested in this.

As for being well recieved, the phrase, yeah, there is no correlation between player attitude and that phrase. It's entirely about financial impact. If they can make more money off a smaller base of angry players, they will do that. The gods of economics demand it :P

• Like 3

Jagex just isn't a small independent gaming company anymore. Their competition even in the casual gaming sphere has increased, and they want to start playing with the "big boy" MMOs.

I view the opinion of the vocal minority as being very idealistic, with arguments framed under very concrete, black and white sort of thinking. There isn't much room for consideration of the corporate and financial realities in a more abstract way, and these players hold Jagex very firmly to statements they have made in the past, unwilling to concede that circumstances have changed. (Yes, I guess that's a "Grow up, whiners" sort of statement.)

Not that I believe that the vocal minority was very kind when Andrew and Paul were actively involved; they seemed very vicious even then. I seem to remember that Andrew was interested in promoting a purchasable flash/thumb drive that would encrypt passwords and protect accounts accessed from remote machines (I mean basically, say, a computer at a local public library). This was long before JAG, of course. There was a lot of fallout on the RSOF. Some players recognized the technology from their workplaces and said they thought the idea was legitimate, but others were enraged that Andrew dared to suggest the purchases would involve extra bank space. He publicly retracted the idea on the RSOF right then and there.

So I was very confused to see players that raged at Andrew so much in the past over various perceived slights cried bitterly when they learned he'd left the BoD and formed a R & D company. They complained a lot, even on these forums. But why would they expect him to return? When Andrew came here to protest a certain Times article (and yes, threatened a lawsuit), he made it abundantly clear he was much more interested in programming/coding than management and PR. I think it should go without stating that he wasn't that interested in soothing player rage and I would guess over time, Paul (who interacted more with the players anyways) got tired of it too.

Hugh_Mannity and a few others wrote in the Times some years back that management overhaul was long overdue, and therefore, I'm not too shocked at the corporate structures that came afterward.

And personally... I like Solomon's. My membership has stayed grandfathered at the 5US$ rate, and I like being able to vote for some developer content with my dollars, even if they are just silly cosmetic touches. I have much less love for SoF (although I accept the rewards), and really wish that its cosmetic items would be pushed over to Solomon's (save that STUPID Yelps hat). I think the idea is "quick and dirty", and very sloppy development, even compared to the old Random Events. I point to The Pit D&D as an example of how Jagex got it right, and a model of what more they could implement.

(+5 if you read through all of that.)

• Like 1

Most good companies I know of actually ignore investors or say: well here you got your money back - we work in our own way and you either like it or hate it. (And that is in all branches, going from high profile companies like ASML, philips, fokker space to small companies with only a dozen employees). Really investors are normally considered bad when they try to mix their vision with the employers vision: employers know what is going on, investors don't.

Their statement on microtransactions has lost them at least 1 faithful customer: I used to buy runescape membership between 2005 & 2012; some periods even two accounts at once. However now I haven't been a member (or playing runescape) for like a year. And I'm still doubting if I will actually rebuy membership for a month during holiday. I just do not feel the fun anymore when a godsword I got with much pain and efford someone else got during a lucky spin - or by spending a few bucks.

I think I'm not the only one who lost a lot of their fun, and I think in the long run this is harmful to runescape. And to put it frankly: runescape wouldn't have become more popular than the average chinese mmo if they had this implemented from the start - now people only accept it because they already spent a lot of efford into their accoutns.

• Like 1
First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I wouldn't mind SOF and Solomons if my payment options didn't involve paying double for membership or spins.

Yes these fees exactly double the money I regularly have to pay.

bullshit.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

News flash: Jagex wants us gone. They want the players who whine about these updates out of their games to make room for the people who are willing to pay for spins and RuneCoins. They want us to quit so we'll stop giving the SoF bad press. They don't care about us; they care about their profits and we can see that they've gotten what they wanted.

You win, Jagex.

-Ethan

This financial report is a perfect example of "Creative Accounting".

Haha, they deffinitely seem to have suddenly started paying tax in the last financial year. :

profit before tax 2012: £9.7m profit before tax 9 months up to 31 December 2011 £9.8m so very similar

total amount of tax pad 2012: £2.5m total amount of tax paid 9 months up to 31 December 2011: £278k

It seems to have magically disappeared under 'expenses not deductable for tax purposes'

I can only assume all the bad press in the last 12 months about the likes of Amazon and Google made them decide to change their act.

News flash: Jagex wants us gone. They want the players who whine about these updates out of their games to make room for the people who are willing to pay for spins and RuneCoins. They want us to quit so we'll stop giving the SoF bad press. They don't care about us; they care about their profits and we can see that they've gotten what they wanted.

You win, Jagex.

Good grief, that reminds me of my Live Action Roleplaying days in the White Wolf World of Darkness setting. The game studio rebooted the game setting and I remember a lot of players saying things like this. I still remember a friend and longtime DM of mine called it "How to Piss Off Your Fanbase."

You win, Jagex.

Are you serious? The bare minimum is as long as you play I don't think jagex gives a hoot. The core of their business is appeal and that starts with word of mouth. If you are a dedicated player and are already appealed to the game then things like SoF and SGS become the next step.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Haha, they deffinitely seem to have suddenly started paying tax in the last financial year. :

profit before tax 2012: £9.7m profit before tax 9 months up to 31 December 2011 £9.8m so very similar

total amount of tax pad 2012: £2.5m total amount of tax paid 9 months up to 31 December 2011: £278k

I don't claim to be an accountant, nor to have much knowledge in the area, but wasn't the £9.7m figure a loss?

LgEZt.png

I don't claim to be an accountant, nor to have much knowledge in the area, but wasn't the £9.7m figure a loss?

No, your accountancy skills are just superiour to mine , I apolgise you are correct: I did not notice that bracketed values were negative

• Like 1

I would LOVE to play this RuneQuest you speak of...

Actually - RuneQuest is an awesome game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneQuest

ezpvyu.jpg

Interestingly enough, it was Runescape's similrity to the original pen and paper role-playing game that drew my interest to it.

:lol:

This financial report is a perfect example of "Creative Accounting".

It seems to have magically disappeared under 'expenses not deductable for tax purposes'

I can only assume all the bad press in the last 12 months about the likes of Amazon and Google made them decide to change their act.

Actually, these Financial statements would appear to be a lot less “creative” if either of you understood how to actually READ a financial statement:

2vbqtua.png

The numbers in brackets (9,869) represent a “loss”, not a profit. :rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

So what was the explanation on page 2 for 18 people being let go and a 100% turnaround in profit?

Squeell's Deal and King Salomon's Warehouse?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

So what was the explanation on page 2 for 18 people being let go and a 100% turnaround in profit?

Squeell Deal and Kings Salomons Warehouse?

Yes - that's got to be it, exactly - because goodness knows that there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between "correlation" and "causation" ... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

nyuseg.png