03-Jul-2013 - Vorago: High-Level Boss Fight

Teach me your ways, Master.

Swedishboy7's quick guide to Vorago.

Accepting Ballerina cookies (Swedish cookies with chocolate in them) as thanks for writing this.

General info: Use a shield. Use top tier equipment. Mages and rangers are needed as well, since they can 'tank bombs'. Use deflect magic or melee (I use melee except when far away from Vorago and while killing minions since they seem to hit you quite hard with magic). Be ready to die. ALOT. And oh, make sure to bring enough people to stand the shared 50k hit.

On the red stones, 'bombs': These bombs are the red stones that fly around and targets a player. They can hit you up to 6k. They'll just hit you for 6k though if there are enough other people around you. So when you get targeted you want to run away from other players and make sure you have over 2k hp (or bye bye).

On the 3 jumps around and the end of a phase: Make sure to run away from where he land. You can be hit a lot if you don't. As far as I have seen the locations of where he lands is completely random. I myself got hit for like 2k once and almost died out of this. So watch out! All phases but the fifth ends with this. Make sure not to panic when the floor cracks below you. That only means that the phase is finished. You will fall down on a new arena as the next phase begin. And will strange enough not get hurt from the falling.

First phase: The goal of this phase is to get a jumper on Vorago's back and knock of the first pice of three needed to form the maul that kills Vorago in the fifth phase. Make sure to have a good lurer/tank guy. Lure Vorago towards the cliff where the jumper is. Make Vorago turn around so he face the same direction as the jumper (that is straight away from the jumper). A good tip is to use your minimap here. Vorago will need to stand directly in front of the jumper, which means that the yellow dot must be just in front of the jumper's dot on the map. Once Vorago just has a bit of health left the jumper can jump down on Vorago and the first piece of the maul will loosen. Avoid the three jump around of Vorago after having made his lp gone down to 0 in this first phase. The floor will crack and second phase begins.

Second phase: Make sure to share the bleeding. Everyone in the team needs to share Vorago's attention. That means, a lot of people will need to be the temporary tank (for just a very short time). The goal of this phase is to bring Vorago to the different gravity fields (red orbs) that appears over the arena. Once you have fired three of these at him you will see a cutscene where you need to click on Vorago fast together with your teammates. "Bring him down" I believe it says. Or something like that. Once done with this you will get a message saying that the piece has loosen a bit if successful. Then just repeat the above with 3 more orbs and click him intensively again. This should make him drop the second piece. Attack him again until he goes down to 0 lp. When this has been done he will jump around three more times, the floor will crack again.

Third phase: Vorago will summon two minions called Scopolus. During the time the minions are alive you can't attack Vorago. Make sure to keep the minions far from each other since having them close to each other seems to make them stronger. The minions will attack with melee and magic like Vorago. And they will hit hard. This is the phase I have had the most trouble with and all I can recommend for the killing of these guys is basically stay alive. Use a lot of defensive abilities and food really. Once one of the minions are dead the other will get enraged (you will get a message stating this as well). This means that it will hit harder. Therefore, try to kill the twin minions at the same time, or as close as possible to each other in time. Once this is done, defeat Vorago (bring him down to 0 lp). Vorago will jump around again (watch out!) and the floor will crack again.

Fourth phase: Team communication is the key to survival here. This is rather simply put a more advanced version of phase 2, without the orbs and the clicking. You will need to bring him down to 0 lp in this phase just like in the earlier phases. However in this phase Vorago will use a fire attack that will hit all in the room if they don't hide behind a waterfall. This attack is pretty much a 1 hit KO unless you are close to/at full health. This since it can hit up to 9k. Therefore, as I stated above, team communication is very important. Once the fire start to cover your screen's edges (you can't miss it) start to search for the waterfall in one of the four corners. Call out to your teammates when you found it (ne/nw/sw/se) and hide behind the waterfall (just stand in the corner). Surge is a great ability to use here. This since it lets you teleport forward 10 squares and therefore find cover behind the waterfall more quickly.

After this fire attack Vorago will pick a player and do a rock copy of this player. This clone needs to be killed as quick as possible by the cloned player (none else can attack it). This since during the time the clone is alive all damage taken by Vorago will be greatly reduced.

During this phase the third piece of the maul is also dropped, after the final fire/clones attack. Make sure that the maul pieces carrier now assembles the 'bleeding' parts of the maul to make it a working weapon to kill Vorago in the final phase with!

Once Vorago have reached 0 lp he will jump around three times again and the floor will crack.

Fifth phase, the final showdown: Instead of being in a large, square arena you will now be on a rather thin piece of land. Your team and Vorago will try to push each other off the edges. Therefore. the goal is to push Vorago off the opposite end of the strip of land. This will give the maul carrier the option to finish Vorago off with a hit of the mace.

To push Vorago off the edge you need to do as much damage as simply possible to him. He will use his standard attacks. Berzerking may be a good idea if everyone does it at the same time. Otherwise it may be a very bad idea leading to a quick death of the berzerking lonely player. Finally, once Vorago is at the edge, the player with the maul needs to use an ultimate ability on Vorago to kill him (this can only be done once Vorago is below 3% health according to the Wiki, dunno if that is true, but probably is since Vorago was at very low health once my team was able to finish him off). This will display a cutscene of Vorago dying when the maul carrier uses the maul to pummel his face.

Collect your drops from the ground and then exit via the red exit orb.

Good luck. May your death be a glorious one.

• Like 7

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Yeah it'll be a few weeks til we can truly master mister Vorago as we will need to learn the alternates.

Some how I suspect it's going to be a case of a two-fold variation:

1) Some of his ordinary attacks will vary within the stages

2) The first four phases can change entirely in terms of area and principle of fighting (other than the limitation of 1,2,4 giving mace pieces and 3 not)

Aka I think next week say Vorago might start meleeing more and have some say green bomb attack we haven't seen and phase 1 will be the waterfall thing and phase 2-4 will be things we haven't seen before.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

We who are about to die salute you! :D

• Like 4

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Yeah it'll be a few weeks til we can truly master mister Vorago as we will need to learn the alternates.

2) The first four phases can change entirely in terms of area and principle of fighting (other than the limitation of 1,2,4 giving mace pieces and 3 not)

Aka I think next week say Vorago might start meleeing more and have some say green bomb attack we haven't seen and phase 1 will be the waterfall thing and phase 2-4 will be things we haven't seen before.

The number of combinations seem infinite, or large. Any guess into how many new things Chris L has chucked into Vorago (in case you can somehow communicate with him to get a clue or whatever)?

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

We who are about to die salute you! :D

Don't salute me. Use those hands to swing drygores at Vorago instead!

The number of combinations seem infinite, or large. Any guess into how many new things Chris L has chucked into Vorago (in case you can somehow communicate with him to get a clue or whatever)?

I doubt it would too big of a change honestly. Probably the end phase will stay the same. And I think that there will for sure be some kind of minion stage as well. Probably stage 1 and 4 are the ones most likely to change. The main parts of the fight will probably stay the same though.

lGxorje.png

Afaik only one phase will vary per week.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

This sounds much more reasonable to me than a whole fighting process change. Most probably it will be either phase 1 or phase 4 to me. Since these are the ones with the heaviest amount of "environment-using" which Jagex have pointed out to be so special for Vorago.

lGxorje.png

If that is the case 3 makes the most sense seeing as 1, 2 and 4 are mace pieces, 5 is the end-battle leaving 3 as just sort of a random phase with no purpose in terms of the battle.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If that is the case 3 makes the most sense seeing as 1, 2 and 4 are mace pieces, 5 is the end-battle leaving 3 as just sort of a random phase with no purpose in terms of the battle.

I think you are wrong here. Jagex would much rather want to change the way we get one of those mace pieces than change a minion phase. Just my opinion.

lGxorje.png

To defeat Vorago at the end of the fifth stage, one player will need to have all three pieces of the Maul of Omens and put them together into the completed weapon. Note that the weapon doesn't need to be equipped to finish Vorago - just to be in the player's inventory.

But can it be equipped?

2dgucz6.png

I think you are wrong here. Jagex would much rather want to change the way we get one of those mace pieces than change a minion phase. Just my opinion.

I dunno it just seems SOOOOO obvious for 3 to be the one to change.

1) Has a setup designed to get a mace bit

2) Has a setup designed to get a mace bit

3) Just a plain old fight

4) Has a setup designed to get a mace bit

5) Has a setup designed to get in the final hit with mace.

Of the 5 if only one is changing 3 lifts right out as the one without any 100% vital purpose.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

They also said that the release will be the most difficult. The only difficult thing about Vorago is the minions.

Well, true. I can agree with this. I didn't know that they said that though. Where exactly did Jagex state this? Not that I disbelieve you, just curious.

lGxorje.png

3v836.png

That makes it sound like phase 3 could change next week, and the week after phase 1 could change. So in theory if they have say 2 options for each phase you could have 32 "different" boss fights.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Vorago is pretty fun so far (well only tried twice, in teams of 10+, and only as lowly dps but ok).

For the final stage: Time your zerks! We had the misfortune of someone zerking on reflects twice (note that this also suggests reflects are exactly 1 minute apart?), which is Bad. After a reflect, everyone should zerk and use basics (Sever, Backhand, Havoc) and DoTs (Slaughter, Dismember) ASAP. Vorago will move backwards which interrupts your Destroy/Assault, making them less useful.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Vorago is pretty fun so far (well only tried twice, in teams of 10+, and only as lowly dps but ok).

For the final stage: Time your zerks! We had the misfortune of someone zerking on reflects twice (note that this also suggests reflects are exactly 1 minute apart?), which is Bad. After a reflect, everyone should zerk and use basics (Sever, Backhand, Havoc) and DoTs (Slaughter, Dismember) ASAP. Vorago will move backwards which interrupts your Destroy/Assault, making them less useful.

just out of interest, mightn't the mage version of berserk be better? no doubled damage intake... mind I havent tried vorago, and don't know the exact tactics.

meamzed.png

You don't take a lot of damage on the final stage, as dpser. I was soulsplitting with superior vampirism and not losing health until the tanks died and bombs started falling amongst the melee lines.

I would like to note that my idea of the KK requiring a line of pikes protecting a line of rangers is nearly what happens at Vorago.

• Like 3

What I like most, and not necessarly about Vorago, is that you are often swinging your weapon and not even making contact with them..

Is funny to me.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

3v836.png

That makes it sound like phase 3 could change next week, and the week after phase 1 could change. So in theory if they have say 2 options for each phase you could have 32 "different" boss fights.

IMO that makes it sound like part of my original idea - him gaining/swapping extra attacks in general - is likely.

Eg perhaps he has say 5 'special' slots for attacks he uses in all phases and each week it picks at random what slots to change and when they change they can be an attack he's not got equipped or an empty; would mean he can compound attacks over the weeks to have em all.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

You don't take a lot of damage on the final stage, as dpser. I was soulsplitting with superior vampirism and not losing health until the tanks died and bombs started falling amongst the melee lines.

I would like to note that my idea of the KK requiring a line of pikes protecting a line of rangers is nearly what happens at Vorago.

I remember your post about that and I find it a lovely thing to add to the combat system!

Now with the Battle of Lumbridge coming soon, wouldn't it just be awesome to have actual armies in ranks, impenetrable because of the use of spears and shields, causing your troops to attack from the flanks? :P

• Like 1