Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

I think a lot of this would largely become a non-issue if people didn't feel obligated/entitled to a comp cape to begin with. It's meant to be outrageously "difficult" and time-consuming to obtain. You guys' arguments seem to ultimately claim that the comp cape is too difficult to obtain, as if EVERY player should be capable of obtaining one, rather than an extremely tiny elite minority. I think you guys would be a lot happier if you just removed the expectation of the comp cape from your mind altogether, just like I did when it was originally announced. Spend hundreds of hours doing things I don't enjoy for a lousy cape that nobody besides me gives a shit about? Yeah no thanks, I'll pass on that one :P

They seem to want every player to get one, though, and I think they've been aiming more recent stuff at comp capers recently than the rest of the community. I know I'd be a lot happier with the game if they didn't keep shoving a cape I have no interest in down my throat. Believe me, I've tried to completely excise it from my mind. The problem is that I'm a Tip.Iter, where everyone else is a comp caper who talks about comp caper things :-P

There are also a lot of things happening in my life that I'm completely furious about, so I'm sorry about flying off the handle.

I think a lot of this would largely become a non-issue if people didn't feel obligated/entitled to a comp cape to begin with. It's meant to be outrageously "difficult" and time-consuming to obtain. You guys' arguments seem to ultimately claim that the comp cape is too difficult to obtain, as if EVERY player should be capable of obtaining one, rather than an extremely tiny elite minority. I think you guys would be a lot happier if you just removed the expectation of the comp cape from your mind altogether, just like I did when it was originally announced. Spend hundreds of hours doing things I don't enjoy for a lousy cape that nobody besides me gives a shit about? Yeah no thanks, I'll pass on that one :P

This requirement will not affect me. I have already beaten every single boss in the game (and I regularly do RoTS/Rago), and if or when this requirement comes out, if Jagex recognizes all the kills I have done, I will already have it, or I will organize my team, and get it within 1-2 hours at most (which is nothing). The day a requirement comes that I can no longer do for comp or no longer want to do for comp, I will simply abstain from it, and life will go on. (I originally boycotted comp for 6 months because I thought Livid was [bleep]ing stupid.)

I reject this requirement simply because of the other externalities it will have on the community. Do a lot of them go back to entitlement issues? Sure. But the community is entitled, and there will a lot of butthurt, animosity, drama and division if comp skillers have to do this. I don't see much benefit coming out of that.

Yes but I remember very clearly back before you had 99 in every skill, we were talking about how much you hated training certain skills to 99 yet you still did so out of obligation. That's where you and I differ. I only train stats if they're a necessary evil in order to reach a bigger goal which will make me happier (e.g. training certain skills in OSRS to their minimal level required for a quest in order to get barrows gloves so I can go do PvP). Sorry but I have my doubts about your claim that you will abstain from participating in activities which you do not enjoy :P

The community will get butthurt over any updates Jagex makes to the comp cape. The community will also get butthurt over any lack of updates to the comp cape. It's just something you have to accept (and ignore). A wise man will make the woes of the RS community irrelevant to his own personal enjoyment of the game :D

77yLQy8.png

They seem to want every player to get one, though, and I think they've been aiming more recent stuff at comp capers recently than the rest of the community. I know I'd be a lot happier with the game if they didn't keep shoving a cape I have no interest in down my throat. Believe me, I've tried to completely excise it from my mind. The problem is that I'm a Tip.Iter, where everyone else is a comp caper who talks about comp caper things :-P

There are also a lot of things happening in my life that I'm completely furious about, so I'm sorry about flying off the handle.

While I no longer play RS3 (or even OSRS really), keep in mind that I've never had more than 200M in my bank and I've never owned any T90 equipment. In other words, I am (was) at that point in my RS career where my only option left was to grind PvM bosses which I don't enjoy fighting for hours and hours in order to afford better gear, such that I may continue to grind PvM bosses which I don't enjoy for hours and hours to pay for level 99 in skills which I don't enjoy training, to complete part of the requirements for a cape that I have no interest in, such that I may wait around for Jagex to churn out more bosses I don't want to fight and more minigames with arbitrary, time-consuming requirements I don't want to fulfill in order to hold on to the cape that I never wanted in the first place.

In other words, there's a reason why I quit playing RS3 and never looked back. I don't understand why you're still playing when you and I appear to be in the same boat.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

This requirement will not affect me. I have already beaten every single boss in the game (and I regularly do RoTS/Rago), and if or when this requirement comes out, if Jagex recognizes all the kills I have done, I will already have it, or I will organize my team, and get it within 1-2 hours at most (which is nothing). The day a requirement comes that I can no longer do for comp or no longer want to do for comp, I will simply abstain from it, and life will go on. (I originally boycotted comp for 6 months because I thought Livid was [bleep]ing stupid.)

I reject this requirement simply because of the other externalities it will have on the community. Do a lot of them go back to entitlement issues? Sure. But the community is entitled, and there will a lot of butthurt, animosity, drama and division if comp skillers have to do this. I don't see much benefit coming out of that.

Yes but I remember very clearly back before you had 99 in every skill, we were talking about how much you hated training certain skills to 99 yet you still did so out of obligation. That's where you and I differ. I only train stats if they're a necessary evil in order to reach a bigger goal which will make me happier (e.g. training certain skills in OSRS to their minimal level required for a quest in order to get barrows gloves so I can go do PvP). Sorry but I have my doubts about your claim that you will abstain from participating in activities which you do not enjoy :P

The community will get butthurt over any updates Jagex makes to the comp cape. The community will also get butthurt over any lack of updates to the comp cape. It's just something you have to accept (and ignore). A wise man will make the woes of the RS community irrelevant to his own personal enjoyment of the game :D

By the time I started my path to 99's/Max/Comp (I never actually had that as a goal, it just happened), most skills were visibly a joke, and I was effortlessly able to get them to 99. I had just returned to RS after a 1 year break, didn't have much money, so I decided to level up some skills to 90+ for dungeoneering (my one true passion in RS - I was aiming for a specific thing that I wanted, i.e. to be able to do most of the skilling in dungeoneering, making armour etc.). Pretty soon I was soaring through them despite a lot of school work. I was getting from like 85-99 in 2 weeks, when in the past it would take months at least for most people to get the same. The only skill that took me a long time to get were slayer/summoning/dungeoneering, all because I did them back in the day when they were hard and I did them because I enjoyed them. I basically ended up Maxing because of that in February 2013 (I already had 120 dungeoneering because I enjoyed it). I still refused to do Livid, but the sort of people I hang around with me slowly persuaded me to do it, and I ended up AFK'ing while listening to lectures and stuff on Youtube. And hence I was comped.

I don't personally get affected by butthurt on RSOF/community (I rarely visit the forums, except when something major happens), but the game is in a lot of turmoil because of the EoC/2007/Legacy split, and the recent Legacy update which was extremely rushed, and not ready, and which has (contrary to Jagex's promises) affected EoC and turned a lot of things upside down. Probably not a good idea to spring a major redefinition of the comp cape onto the game just yet. It's probably best for Jagex to do damage control and try to harmonize the community for now.

well... after you get the cape you never wanted in the first place, you can spend the better part of a year changing the color of the particles

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

We're more or less in agreement or at least at an understanding then. I am not opposed to this idea in theory or in principle (PVM reqs for comp), I just don't think now's the time for it, given the volatile situation in game.

We're more or less in agreement or at least at an understanding then. I am not opposed to this idea in theory or in principle (PVM reqs for comp), I just don't think now's the time for it, given the volatile situation in game.

That's fair enough. Though I think the game's been under "volatile status" for a very long time now haha

77yLQy8.png

That's fair enough. Though I think the game's been under "volatile status" for a very long time now haha

Maybe I'm jaded, but things seem to get worse and worse. There was never some golden age where we all got along, but the community (largely due to management) has sort of splintered off and become polarized to extremes. Just the other day, someone mentioned that the Legacy update was almost here (with no comment on whether it was good or bad, just that it was almost here) in my clan chat, and people who are usually very nice and reasonable, lost their mind and went batshit insane. That's an anecdote but it's telling and a lot more common these days.

Level 90 2H weapons are built from pieces (I think that was already known, though, and it sounds familiar to me). The tier 90 range weapon is a bow (or so it seems, at the end of the video).

ozXHe7P.png

Level 90 2H weapons are built from pieces (I think that was already known, though, and it sounds familiar to me). The tier 90 range weapon is a bow (or so it seems, at the end of the video).

What the hell... I thought we would get a BTS on sunday from what I saw on twitter from Chris L. I just remembered him saying Araxxor would be live streamed this sunday.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Another two weeks for Araxxor release? :(.

Does anyone else think you might have to add something like a zbow to the 2h 90 bow or a drygore to the 2h 90 melee weapon?

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Requiring the current Lv. 90 weapons to make the new ones would be dumb IMO, since they should be alternatives to the dual-wield ones.

I think it's kinda smart. It keeps prices from current weapons high and also keeps those respective bosses "alive."

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

Why should they be alternatives

...A lot of reasons?

- The game's progression is not some straight line where everything exists in a vacuum and everyone takes the same steps toward the same end.

- What would honestly be the point of having to convert a T90 1h weapon into a T90 2h weapon? It's an extra step for no gain whatsoever (Probably a straight loss if they turn into slower weapons), ensuring that they'll generally be dead content. Even in terms of theory, you're basically presenting the player with two identical weapons (because of the tier system) and arbitrarily making one of them harder to get.

- It doesn't make sense in universe: how would you go about turning a crossbow into a longbow? More importantly, why would you?

Can you explain why they shouldn't be alternatives? Because this is kind of a strange step away from your "no upgrading ever" stance and I'm having a hard time seeing the benefits.

If Jagex could balance worth a damn, maybe. As things are, though?

• Like 1

I should clarify that the other option is for 2hs be used in different situations instead of having 2h and 1h be exactly the same except for attack speed and graphics

Requiring the current Lv. 90 weapons to make the new ones would be dumb IMO, since they should be alternatives to the dual-wield ones.

I think it's kinda smart. It keeps prices from current weapons high and also keeps those respective bosses "alive."

But Dual Wield is already > 2h...

And why should the Dual Wield options be available simply from killing their respective bosses while the 2h ones would require both killing the original bosses + killing the new one?

It shouldn't be a "progession" of "go dual wield, then you go 2h", especially considering the 2h ones aren't even better than the Dual Wield ones.

(Why do we need to "keep the previous bosses alive" when new content comes out? Not only does it not make much sense in this situation considering Vorago/KK/Asc bosses will still give better weapons than Araxxor, but content shouldn't be expected to remain relevant to every high level players. Bosses get outclassed over time, rewards-wise, lower-end bosses are relevant for lower-end players and higher-end bosses are relevant to high-level players.)

I've always preferred using 2h weapons over dual wielding. The one spot where I can see 2h weapons being better than dual wielding is PKing, although I guess that's changed a bit now with skulls.

I didn't necessarily mean T90 dual weapons would be needed for the 2H weapons but maybe a lower tier part, or something else completely. An example being dragon crossbow needed for ascension bows. Maybe a chaotic staff or chaotic maul added as the final part? Lol.

Was just a thought I've had for a while now. Trying to figure out what to stock up on. ;).

4K469.png

Requiring Chaotics could be reasonable since you get those from Dungeoneering

Thing is I'm not sure what we would do for Ranged. We could have it require only main hand ccb, but then ranged would require a 1h weapon to upgrade to a 2h weapon, while the other two would require a 2h weapon (doesn't really make a difference in the end since they all cost 200k tokens, though.)

Could make it require Royal crossbow, but then that would mean ranged requires much less time and effort (takes much more time to earn 200k tokens than it does to forge RCB), not to mention the lv 90 ranged 2h weapon is supposedly a bow.

Could require Zaryte bow, but then you have Melee and Magic requiring you to sit through several hours of dungeoneering while Ranged requires a) getting lucky at Nex or b) buying for millions at G.E.

Additionally, requiring Chaotics would be fine since Chaotics becoming a component of the Lv. 90 2h weapons doesn't make Chaotics any more difficult to achieve for those who need Lv. 80 weapons. However, if you have Zaryte bow required for the Lv. 90 bow, then the price of Zaryte would increase, possibly a lot, making it much more difficult to afford for Lv. 80 rangers than it currently is (and I'm not sure if we could expect Lv. 80 Ranged/Def players to DIY Zaryte bow at Nex considering they keep buffing her)

Also, Dragon crossbow being required for Ascension crossbow is a perfect example of what NOT to do. :P

okay

no more [bleep]ing LIFE SUPPORT for content

I want actual [bleep]ing design that makes sense

I don't want to have to be rubbin some electrical paddles on nex every time an update comes out

do you people want a game that makes sense anymore

• Like 8

8f14270694.jpg