The Knowledge Base - Jagex vs Fan Sites?

Unitedite

With the introduction of this new knowledge base, it seems to me like Jagex are deliberately trying to push fan sites like tip.it out of the mainstream by giving people less reason to need to visit them.

Paranoia?

Edit - Jagex not Javex. D'oh.

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

i dont think theyre trying to push them outta the mainstream, theyre just trying to keep people ONLY on runescape.com, but theyll never takeover fansites, fansites are fun, these guides are rigid unejoyable and strictly informative, theyre not humanized

the cape guide is nice tho

The way I see it is Jagex never regard RS fan sites as a threat.

The release of Knowlege Base, in my opinion, is just improving their customer services. Players should view them as complimenting each other instead of competing with each other.

The Knowledge Base is a guide created by the people who designed RS whereas fan sites are created from feed back of the actual players.

Apart from that, Jagex will never put the step by step guide to the quests in their Knowledge Base.

yea here we go. its longgggg over due. With that said its still mostly just basic info, and not really that much of a help. on a side note the rules a explained a bit better even if they are still not going by what they say in the rules.

from the new kb

Rule 8 - Multiple Logging-In

My brother and I both play from our own accounts in our house. Is it all right if we trade items?

Yes, this is not going against the rules of conduct providing you are both playing from two separate accounts created by each of you.

i think we all no this is false these days.any enough said not going to rant on that again.

I miss you Justice my angel on earth and now in heaven " quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur " for whom the gods love die young. April 6th 2005 - February 17th 2009

WoW has like a 100 page guide with the game, far more detailed than runescapes newest manual, yet they still have many fansites.

Its just an alternative resource for help, that jagex want to provide because they can control it and ensure players safety that uses it.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

may i question the identity of Javex? :twisted:

What do you mean by that, exactly?

the guy who made this topic spelled javex instead of jagex.

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

I believe that a very large part of their reasoning for trying to compete with fan sites is to exclude groups of players from others without Jagex being able to moderate what is going on. While we can congregate on TipIt and discuss things that are against Jagex (Example: the Bias Banning thread) we would not be able to do this on the Jagex site. This keeps us from being able to relate with others who have experienced things that are questionable and makes us unable to really talk or do anything about them.

Basically it's putting Jagex in complete control of every aspect...which is what they want. If someone never has any knowledge of things happening other than to themselves, or doesn't know any better, how can they feel Jagex is doing anything wrong. I know exactly what I mean by this, I just can't seem to put it into the perfect words, so I'll just hush for now.

That's all it really is, Jagex wants a dictatorship.

I think this will help in one way, because people who don't know about fansites but want information will no longer need to ask people for help, they should know about the Knowledge Base on runescape.com itself, which will make the game a lot less hassle for the rest of us. And those who do know about fansites such as Tip.it will probably prefer coming here because, well, to me it feels that you can get information in a more personal way, as though the guides/databases etc. were written just for you to read. And because you get a wider discussion range on the tip it forums :) .

The Devil's Hour...

Minuit+666.png

I can see I've been beat to this same topic, as I was going to make a "JAGeX vs. Tip.it" one myself.

The-Road-2.gif

Siggy By...me! ^^

If you've got any tips on sig making, photoshop in general, or a recommendation on a good DSLR to get me started, pm me =]

I doubt its to lash out at fansites, some years ago Runescape.com had a top5 runescape fansite list, where tip.it was (not surprisingly) #1.

It was #1 for the obvious reason Andy paul and Ian posted on the forums :P

Just kidding Tip.it was great then and still going strong.

I think Oergg said it best on another Topic, Jagex will never be against the fansites, since the fans are the main source of new customers.

sggyhj8.png

RuneScape HD in 2560x1024!

I know the answer and, because I cannot convey screaming feverishly on forums without looking odd or getting banned, just imagine it as such.

I doubt its to lash out at fansites, some years ago Runescape.com had a top5 runescape fansite list, where tip.it was (not surprisingly) #1.

It was #1 for the obvious reason Andy paul and Ian posted on the forums :P

Just kidding Tip.it was great then and still going strong.

I think Oergg said it best on another Topic, Jagex will never be against the fansites, since the fans are the main source of new customers.

Well both of those things are true :P

And Bluerose with Dmonik did all their business on Tip.it, no doubt it was a great boost the whole period she was miss monopoly 8)

Jagex have concerned more on getting rid of, rather pointless, messages they get in Customer Support as a query everyday, and obviously to help the players of Runescape. This makes RuneScape Home Page looks much efficient than it was ever before.

So, obviously this update has served nearly great purposes. Out of nowhere, I can ever think of Jagex introducing the Knowledge Base just to get rid of the fansites, and having their players more concentrated in KB than in fansites. That's not true.

Quote from Knowledge Base:

"The aim of this update is to provide better support for our players, so that if you're stuck or just need some friendly advice, you can quickly get the help you need rather than asking Customer Support or hoping someone is talking about it on the forums"

The End of my post.

Why exactly would Jagex be trying to eradicate Fansites? Fansites are what keep some people playing the game, and the certainlyreinforce the game very well. If it were not for fansites, I do not believe that RS would have gotten quite so popular. WQithout having multiple smaller RS communities, it would not work, as RS is so big now that the general sense of community where people know each other is virtually zero. Fansites help to restore the sense of community once revelled in by RSC players, and as such Jagex has no reason at all to want to outlaw them.

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

I thought a similar thing.

The database is a loss of time to me. The information provided is already on all the fan websites. The only thing good with it is that the information is 'official', and not an extrapolation like on fan websites.

If you ask me, Jagex lost their time. That database will only be good to noobs who still don't know the existence of fan websites such as this one.

2480+ total

It wasn't a waste of time, now people wont have to afriad of saying Tip. It, since they could say use the Knowledge Base :D

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't care if Jagex put EVERYTHING you needed for ANYTHING in Runescape, I wouldn't use it, Tip.it is and always will be the best. =D

And I'm not just saying that to be a suck up or whatever.

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

Although the knowledge base is currently somewhat lacking in information when compared to fansites, the knowledge base is very user friendly, and allows others to access info quickly and efficiently, the information is also very well organized. And since this base is only in its very early beta stage, it has a lot of potential to expand.

From what I can see, I think Jagex is trying to make the offical site the main source for game information. This can be considered a threat against any fansite's information, but not the fansite's community. Many popular and widespread games like WoW have the most detailed information on the official sites, while smaller, less known games usually have most of the game info on third party fansites.

If Jagex is aiming to become the main source of game info, then they will crush all competition; after all, who else knows the whole game inside out, is paid to create a professional guide on the game, and has the time to create a high quality guide like this?

jzk1lx2dy.gif