Ordered and received. CD's and DVD's.

How2PK

Dvd's in america are getting fairly cheap - you can pick up tons of decent flicks now and then at big lots for $3 or at walmart for $5. Do you guys have any equivilents to the infamous $5 bin at wally world or the such?

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the $3 bins at Big Lots. They actually have cheaper ones there too, my mom got a DVD with 3 movies on it for $1. D.O.A. was one of them and it was worth it just for that.

Yeah they get in good stuff, Sometimes they have 2 for 1 or even good deals on boxsets, fox in a box was like 5 and the species boxset was 7. But I <3 big lots dvds

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

[hide=]016pi4.th.jpg[/hide]

(This picture is a bit vague, I'm not much of a photographer as you may have seen :P) but next to the Masters of Cinema DVD's are: Apu trilogy, Satyajit Ray collection vol. 1 + 2, Un Chien Andalou, LAge Dor, Luis Bunuel Collection, Exterminating Angel, Los Olvidados, El, Ensayo de un crimen, Bill Douglas trilogy, Kenneth Anger vol. 1 + 2, Franz Zwartjes, Maya Deren)

How are those Masters of Cinema dvd's quality wise? I've been looking at a few of them but I hate when I buy dvd's and the quality of the image isn't great.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

How are those Masters of Cinema dvd's quality wise? I've been looking at a few of them but I hate when I buy dvd's and the quality of the image isn't great.

You won't find any better. :) Masters of Cinema is UK's Criterion. It's my favorite collection. You can read reviews of their DVD's on dvdbeaver and DVDtimes. What are the movies you're thinking about?

Has anybody else got pictures of their collection? It's always fun to poke your nose in other peoples collections. :thumbup:

Nice collection by the way, Das. Not everything fits in with what I like, but there's a lot of good stuff! ::' And Captain N. Man, I loved that series when I was younger.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

You won't find any better. :) Masters of Cinema is UK's Criterion. It's my favorite collection. You can read reviews of their DVD's on dvdbeaver and DVDtimes. What are the movies you're thinking about?

I was looking at 'Le Silence De La Mer' last night to go with Melville collection (which I'll order once I have the cash) coming out next month which bundles a few of his films that have already been released. I was looking at a few of BFI's Kurosawa films as well but from what I'd been reading from reviews from people who had bought them on Amazon & Play, the print quality wasn't terrific.

I'll use those links though, the sites seem to give a pretty decent look at the actual DVD's rather than just the films on them.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

Yea, especially older Asian movies are bad. They don't really store those movies with a lot of care (like you have with Hollywood films etc), so the sources are horrible and thus pretty hard to restore. Le Silence de la Mer is a really good version, I think. With exception of the opening (which is pretty damaged) it looks fantastic. :thumbup:

21o4pav.jpg

Not a cd/dvd, but still film-related: I ordered 5 28x36cm movie stills to decorate my new house in a few months. They're going to have to be near my wall of dvd's ::'. I looked for Hollywood stars I love first, then matched them up to films I love, so there's stills from The Philadelphia Story, Some Like it Hot, the Big Sleep, Gone with the Wind, the Rear Window. I'm still missing a good Katharine Hepburn one, might go for a Bringing up Baby still from Amazon.com, but they're kinda pricey and I'll need lots of space for all these pictures.

Has anybody else got pictures of their collection? It's always fun to poke your nose in other peoples collections. :thumbup:

Nice collection by the way, Das. Not everything fits in with what I like, but there's a lot of good stuff! ::' And Captain N. Man, I loved that series when I was younger.

Asides from four shelving units (Two on each side of my entertainment center) I have lots out of sight in the compartments of the entertainment center and two massive stacks by my desk in the floor. Out of room Argh.

Picked up two new movies today . First one was in the $5 bin at wal-mart; looked good and had a talented cast.

5146rzGWtKL._SS500_.jpg

Also they had a $4 display - mostly stuff I had or did not want, but heard it was a good flick so picked up The Bodyguard.

51BN0KS0T0L._SS500_.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Split an order with a friend for some hard to find industrial stuff from a specialized store. Together we ordered enough for 15% off and free shipping. My part of the deal:

The Bombs of Enduring Freedom - Kalashnikovs and Carbombs

The Bombs of Enduring Freedom - The Bombs of Enduring Freedom

Zeromancer - Sinners International

Combichrist - Today We Are All Demons

Diorama - A Different Life

Genitorutrers - Flesh is the Law

Genitorturers - Society of Genitorture (DVD)

Kotiteollisuus - Ukonhauta

70913.jpg?lp

Released today, only listned to it once so far (on my 2nd round atm). Not as "catchy" as their previous albums, but very intresting. I think i must give it 8/10, even tho i've only listned to it once so far.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

So amazon says my Six Feet Under order can't be processed now, so I don't know if I'll get that.

I did just order a new needle for my record player, so I am going to start ordering some records. The problem is the ones I want are all above $20 on amazon. Anyone know of a good place online to order records? I don't have a music store around here that sells them.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

For $2.

035932-d0.jpg

For $6

109633-d0.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

haha, I used to watch that as a kid. I liked the opening song.

xmihiw.jpg

51Z7zwv1m5L._SS500_.jpg

Some pre-orders:

065-a-time-to-love-lo-res.jpg

080-une-femme-mariee-72dpi.jpg

51rLzJvGQhL._SS500_.jpg

and a book.

51EB2ASS77L._SS500_.jpg

21o4pav.jpg

So amazon must have had Six Feet Under on backorder or something, I just got yesterday. I also got Alfred Hitchcock's Premier Collection which has The Lodger, Sabotage, Young and Innocent, Rebecca, Lifeboat, Spellbound, Notorious and The Paradine Case. Mostly got it for Notorious and Rebecca, the first three I already had in one of those cheap 10 movies for $8 box sets. I've heard Lifeboad and Spellbound are good, Spellbound has Ingrid Bergman in it who is probably my favourite actress and Gregory Peck who is my favourite actor from that period.

Also ordered the entire Tru Calling series, not really sure why. It was only $22 so why not. From what very little I know about it it doesn't sound all that great.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Yesterday I picked up two new CD's:

Destroy To Create from The Flatliners and

Sink or Swim by The Gaslight Anthem

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Some nice pickups fellas.

The only Hitchcock movie I really want is the birds, I've never seen it in a collection that wasn't freaking expensive. Going to go raid big lots see what I can find.

Abraham Lincoln

Some nice pickups fellas.

The only Hitchcock movie I really want is the birds, I've never seen it in a collection that wasn't freaking expensive. Going to go raid big lots see what I can find.

While The Birds is awesome, it wouldn't be in my top 5 for Hitchcock. He has so many great movies... Have you seen Psycho? Or The Rope? Or Rear Window? Usually those are favourites, although my mom's favourite is The Birds :D .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

My copy of the Bicycle thieves came a week or 2 ago with a slightly broken box (cracked at the top). I mentioned it in passing on the seller feedback on Play.com and today suddenly another copy arrived at no cost at all (I checked my bank account). So I now have one to sell - happy days.

indy500fan - Do you have Rope as one of your top 5 Hitchcock film? It left me a bit deflated to be honest, I found it interesting as an experiment in style but it just lacked something for me.

edit - my personal list:

1. Vertigo

2. Psycho

3. Rear Window

4. North by Northwest

5. The Birds

wild_bunch.gif

My copy of the Bicycle thieves came a week or 2 ago with a slightly broken box (cracked at the top). I mentioned it in passing on the seller feedback on Play.com and today suddenly another copy arrived at no cost at all (I checked my bank account). So I now have one to sell - happy days.

indy500fan - Do you have Rope as one of your top 5 Hitchcock film? It left me a bit deflated to be honest, I found it interesting as an experiment in style but it just lacked something for me.

Hmm, there is nostalgia value for me with The Rope, it was one of them I watched a lot when I was younger. Don't know about top 5 though, I am working on that now.

Oh and I love The Bicycle Thief, after I watched it it was my favourite movie for a while. I haven't got around to watching it a second time yet though.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered:

41eQOkyNW5L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

51SDar-mBwL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

wild_bunch.gif