Almost Got Scammed? Want To Tell Your Story? Post It Here!

The_Sith

ya know how its supposed to b nrly scammed? well this aint it

but my first 1000k in rs. went to world 2, bought a zammy cape, then someone said buying zammy cape 4 1216k, i thuoght, heck yeah ill just buy anotha one

traded, accepted to excited to look at second trade window... he changed it to 12k or something, never noticed, next thing i know, about 12 or 14 hours of p ess mining down tha drain.... i was lv 63 sigh..

if i hadnt been scammed that day, i wud have about 4.4m atm... :wall:

now im lv 84, and 3082k. ill never get over that day

edit: and if i count the amounts ive lost over deaths just till the last week, i wud have 5.4m -.- GRRRRR

zabababoomboom

I LURV UU

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most creative scam I've ever seen was carried out by two people at once...

One of the scammers had made it onto my friends list and we'd been talking for several months. One day, she mentioned to me that a friend of hers had gone and put 1 mil in her bank account in exchange for her pin and password. (Apparently, he had access to some complex code that could automatically produce the goods.)

Of course, being the good friend she was, she wanted to help spread the wealth amoungst her RS acquaintances. After much coaxing, she PMed me the guy's name and told me to talk to him. Curious, I did and was surprised by how interested he was in my combat level (87 at the time) and how much cash I already had. He seemed pleasant enough, but I was (fortunately) still too paranoid to give him my password.

A couple days later, I recieved an obscure PM from a player I didn't know. It turned out to be my friend, who had fallen victim herself and lost her account to the scammer, who then used her friends list to find more chumps. Unfortunately, her original account had been caught and banned at that point and neither of us had bothered to keep the other scammer's account name (though I wouldn't be surprised if that one was a front as well).

So yeah.... He's still out there. :ohnoes:

chamielle.png

Educating all the little nooblets since August 2003.

The attempt to scam I came across today was quite funny, I was selling 50 cowhides (50 whole hides? yes!) for 90ea in world 1.

So i get a trade from the scammer:

He throws in 100k.

I'm like wow 100k this is probably a scam, so I wait and he accepts.

So after 2 seconds of thinking well, I could just do accept for the first time, but before I could push the accept button he already removed his cash, and accepted again.

So I wait for a few more seconds and he declines and says to me :

Omg you scammer!

lol there are some that are quite bad at that scam.. they flash the money on and off the trade window. my response is "wow if you`re going to scam at least do it right, newb.. or get a new one"

only problem is I could probably get a mark for that by breaking Rule 9: Encouraging others to break rules.

4t9nek4.jpg4t8yiv6.png

gleeper_owns.png

I'm not entirely sure that this is a scam, but some guy tried to sell me his rune axe for 80k, reported him for scamming.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

once I traded 2k nats for 900 "cooked" sharkes.. but they were raw, and I asked the guy if we could reverse the trade and he said okay... lol. Now I realise that the raw ones could probably sell for more but idc. (this happened about 2 years ago, nats were only about 220 and cooked sharks sold for more than raws)

anim3.gif

I'm not entirely sure that this is a scam, but some guy tried to sell me his rune axe for 80k, reported him for scamming.

Not truely scamming, he's just expecting too much for the axe.

If he said it was rare, though, it IS scamming.

Hold on, i'm grabbing the rules quote.

What does 'scam' mean?

To 'scam' means to cheat another player during a trade. Lying to other players for your own personal gain is not in the spirit of the game and will not be tolerated.

Is it a scam to claim an item is rare when it isn't?

Yes

Is it a scam to switch items at the last second before pressing accept, and hoping the other player won't notice?

Yes

Is it a scam to ask for lots of money for an item?

It is not considered a scam to ask for large amounts of money for an item, but it is not in the spirit of the game to over price an item.

It is not our intention to set limits on what players trade. It is a player's responsibility to make sure that they are paying a good price for an item.

My MOD Queue and MODs - StarTrekGuide

sig-2-itsaratflail.png

In F2P I'm about lvl 59

I'm at the varrock bar ( the one near the wildy)

I have some runes because I was planning to go into wildy and PK

10 laws 50 fires 60 water air staff and 150 minds

my mage lvl is 36 atm

I walk into wildy and see a pile of cash at lvl 6

I walk towards it and a 60+ guy with full rune and scimmy running

towards me.

So I run out of wildy and I telegrab the money and the guy starts swearing. :XD:

I report him! LOL GO TELEGRAB!!!!!!!! :lol:

Thanks to tip it of course! \' \'

Sally4th.gif

This was about half a month ago,

Guy: Selling rune scimi 10k

I trade him, put up 10k, knowing it was a scam,

He accepts, but I don't, and he kept putting it in, and out, and in, etc

Then, finally I decline, and say

Me: Lol, noob scammer.

He logs, I add him, he's in another world, So I follow. \'

I dont need a siggy no moar.

i have to tell you about a scam i saw last friday night. a guy in canifis was offering free armor trimming. im like ok i'll mess with him i go to my bank offer up a set of rune armor. to my surprise he puts up a set of rune trimmed armor im like wow but still very suspicious the second window comes up and everything is still there and he accepts. then he explains to me he's quitting and he spent all of his money on trimmed armor to trade for real armor just to have fun. im like wow there are real armor trimmers.

im not crazy everyone else is!!! unless im wrong

if you give a noob a muffin he will probaly ask for another and butter

scammees always believe the scammer nothing you can do

only got scammed recently :twisted: I reported them, dunno if it makes any difference, I was buying rune plate & legs & being in a rush didn't notice him quickly take off the legs after I had agreed. I always leave items on the board for a while so people have a good look or change their mind so he couldn't argue that he wanted more cash for the items. Really mad about it.

I have had a couple of people try switching items after I've agreed to a swap and tried to make out it was an accident. :shame: Anyone does it now gets reported and added to ignore list in case I come across them again.

Some guy did a new kind of scam to me,

scammer hey gedboy2112 you have been cohsin to become a player mod

me (knowing this is 99.9 percent chances of a scamer) Ok

scammer All you have to do is give me your password

me Lol I'm not stuped it's a scam

scammer ok talk to my boss

Boss (scammer) hey this aint a scam (the boos was the same guy)

me lol yea right

boss just give me your pass word and wasit 30 min

me (i get mad)YOU WILL NOT SCAM ME FOR A PASS REPORTED

Him admits that hes a level 3 noob scamer and his boss is his brother.

Dissapers.

me lol

So how was it/ did i do the right thing?

http://rambelingsofateenagetechie.blogspot.com/

MY BLOG

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.

-Joseph Stalin

RoushLogo.jpg

My Logo!

Awhile ago i had mined 6k iron in a few days and then decided to sell half for 250k,, a scammer came over and offered 1mil and i was really excited and thought it might have been a mistake on his part, and wanted to get the trade done before he noticed (i didnt know about this kind of scam yet) so pretty much i sold 3k iron for 10k <.< then ended up having to sell the rest instead of smithing it.

Its funny how stupid some scammers can be though, i was humoring myself when i was trying to trade something (have no idea what it was or if i was buying something) so a scammer came up and after the 3k iron loss i always check the 2nd trade window. So then the scammer puts up a good trade (of course, i knew he was a scammer) and i put up my end of the deal.and quickly hit accept, but then he changed it to the "edited trade" adn then he clicked accept,but i didnt. so he changed it back to the original trade and i hit accept, then he changed to the "edited price" again and i didnt click accept so he just did the same thing over and over for a few minutes and i was laughing so hard :thumbsup:

Ty another scam I got once was I was selling my rune battle axe and some guy come up and offers me 5 mil. so he tryes to go down to 5k but he goes down to 500k instead and I had a shopping spre that day

http://rambelingsofateenagetechie.blogspot.com/

MY BLOG

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.

-Joseph Stalin

RoushLogo.jpg

My Logo!

Continually being annoyed by people who offer 1m for full rune and then take away 989996 coins to offer 10004 coins for it, talk about been there done it, reported and got the T-Shirt <.<

I also get sick of people who spam in varrock west bank world 1, flipping annoying, reported for breach of rule 1!

Continually being annoyed by people who offer 1m for full rune and then take away 989996 coins to offer 10004 coins for it, talk about been there done it, reported and got the T-Shirt <.<

I also get sick of people who spam in varrock west bank world 1, flipping annoying, reported for breach of rule 1!

That isn't a breach of rule 1. He is saying something of content for first, and for second, those messages get upwards in your chat box in milliseconds. Wannabe mod.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

this happened to me awhile ago, it was almost believeable until...well you'll be able to tell. *note that this isn't the exact dialog it happened a while ago i don't remember it word for word.

i was on my way to fallador bank and all of the sudden i get a pm from a name i didn't recognize.

pm: hello good sir

me: um...hello?

pm: are experiencing any troubles?

me: who are you? are you ______ (i mentioned my friends name in the blank)

pm: no sir, this is one of jagex's secret accs.

me:(playing along) o, really? what bringss you to fallador?

pm: have you noticed that your money has been missing?

me: no i don't believe it is...want me to check?

pm: please do sir, i have gotten many complaints about how people's money is disapearing

me: well my bank seams to be fine, thanks for asking though.

pm: thank you for your cooperation, i must say sir, you have been very polite

me: why, thank you, as have you, sir ;-)

pm: you deserve a reward of sorts

me: like what?

pm: if you give me all your money, i'll double it for you

(at this point ive located the sender of these pms, and it was a lvl 3 dressed like a bot)

me: no thanks, i like earning my money (i report him )

pm: well, thts your choice sir, good day.

(pmer logs out)

lol, this guy was so pathetic, and yet im sure some poor guy has fallen for it

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

this happened to me awhile ago, it was almost believeable until...well you'll be able to tell. *note that this isn't the exact dialog it happened a while ago i don't remember it word for word.

i was on my way to fallador bank and all of the sudden i get a pm from a name i didn't recognize.

pm: hello good sir

me: um...hello?

pm: are experiencing any troubles?

me: who are you? are you ______ (i mentioned my friends name in the blank)

pm: no sir, this is one of jagex's secret accs.

me:(playing along) o, really? what bringss you to fallador?

pm: have you noticed that your money has been missing?

me: no i don't believe it is...want me to check?

pm: please do sir, i have gotten many complaints about how people's money is disapearing

me: well my bank seams to be fine, thanks for asking though.

pm: thank you for your cooperation, i must say sir, you have been very polite

me: why, thank you, as have you, sir ;-)

pm: you deserve a reward of sorts

me: like what?

pm: if you give me all your money, i'll double it for you

(at this point ive located the sender of these pms, and it was a lvl 3 dressed like a bot)

me: no thanks, i like earning my money (i report him )

pm: well, thts your choice sir, good day.

(pmer logs out)

lol, this guy was so pathetic, and yet im sure some poor guy has fallen for it

Something like that almost happened to my friend!

I heard this from an e-mail from my friend and then i lost it #-o :cry:

This is what I remember...

Friend is F

Scammer is S

F is mining and gets PM from S. S is saying that F hacked my account and wants F to say it. F denies it several times. S keeps bothering F. S THREATENS to freeze account. F freaks out in real life and F can't tell me because i'm away for a week. F logs off and send me this really long email. When I come back I point out to F that how obvious it is that it was almost a scam.

Friend didn't report the guy because she was freaked out and the guys name was some thing like Java_H_Q

Sally4th.gif

That isn't a breach of rule 1. He is saying something of content for first, and for second, those messages get upwards in your chat box in milliseconds. Wannabe mod.

Ahem. Autotyping is considered macroing. GL on trying to explain that it isn't, especially when I've asked several p-mods about it.

My MOD Queue and MODs - StarTrekGuide

sig-2-itsaratflail.png

well today this guy who was lvl 105 pmed me (i had met him in cw) saying do u wanna be in my vid on youtube. I said yes thinking it might be a scam he said bring 3 items including your whip. i met him outside cw and we walked to lever in ardougne. we went in to wildy and he says ill pay you for this and put up 4 torag hammers. (oviously trying to scam me he was gonna kill me and i would keep the hammers and he would get whip) i just leged it and his m8 came out and tried to entangle me he splashed lol

dont drink and drive!!!!

you might spill ya bear....

barrowsmghost,bigcheese235.gif

a guy tried to do that to me a while ago

thing is, he only put up 1 torags hammers

i used protect item prayer, and walked away with free torags hammers :P

Quest Cape achieved on 27th December, 07.

i was so close to falling for this.

as normal i was walking around fally helping people if they needed it.

i was wearing full torag whip and fury with rune def.

im lvl 87. this lvl 82 comes up and is impressed by my whip at such a low lvl. back when only like lvl 95+ had em lol.

he wanted me to be in a pking video. he told me not to worry just bring my whip nothing else so i wont lose it. and the reward will be 3 torag hammers. sounded pretty good to me so i said ok.

i went out there and did as i was told to do. stand there will he atks me with dds until i was low health. (3hp) he wanted to c how fast he could get me down.

we were talking alot while he was doing this. then all of a sudden.

"oh ive gotta go sorry. here have the hammers"

we traded eachother and he put in 3 torag hammers. this looked suspicous.

i decline then scroll up chat.

it appears ive been poisoned. i started to think while time was clicking down from poison.

hmm if i took the hammers. id have 4 items. but if i died wouldnt i lose 1 of the hammers? i considered it.

then remebered just as i died. hammers u can only buy or get from barrows. they r classified rarer.

as i bent over dead i yelled out. "nice try had me going 4 a sec. reported"

reaper050.png