Almost Got Scammed? Want To Tell Your Story? Post It Here!

The_Sith

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just happened. I was selling my Full Rune on a F2P world (BIG mistake)

and this level 3 (I didn't care at the time) come up and trades me. I'm all happy, because I have nearly no cash. I look, and I see 180k. (Stupidly) I'm too "into it" and accept right away. I look at my cash, and notice there is still none in my inventory. I think he probably declined or something, another mistake. I didn't make a single note of his name or something, and then AFTER his trade request disappears, I notice that my full rune is not in my inventory. I immediately freak out and look for his name. He's long gone, and I couldn't find his name to report him. I thought I'd never be scammed, but this truly shows how it can happen at any time. That is a great example of forgetting to always check the second trade screen. How stupid I was. #-o

The Maruder1- unbanned on 11-24-07! Whoo!

I don't know if this is actually a scam, per say. However, the end result would have been the same.

I'm in the elemental rune room at the dark warrior castle in the wilderness. I'm all alone, as it's really early in the morning in most of the usa. I'm only about level 34. I see a white dot approaching and get ready to teleport. However, it turns out to be a level 85, so I'm like whatever, since he was too far apart in level. I keep grabbing runes, but I'm getting really bored. The level 85 tells me that in the lv 17 wildy, there are 2 people, a level 30 and a level 80, and that we could probably take them out. I'm like, sure, since he couldn't bs me at lv 17 wildy. He tells me to follow, which I do. At level 17 wilderness, He tells me to turn on run, and keep following, which I do. A few moments later, I'm in the bandit camp with all the bandits trying to kill me and the level 85 trapping me in a room. I managed to get out of the room luckily, use up my last bit of run and walk to get to level 19 wilderness, and teleport out totally rebarred. Smart trap, though.

I was buying 5k raw lobs the other day and this guy said he would sell. I said I'd meet him were he wants in my world. Here is how it goes:

Me: So were u wanna meet?

Scammer: Jolly Boars Inn, you no tip of varrock

Me: are you tryin to lure me?

Scammer: No

Me: *thinks I better be careful*

Scammer: Please hurry i g2g soon

Me: Ok Im here come out of wildy im not tradin!

Scammer: ok

So he pops in and out of wild trying to make me trade with him and run rite into wilderness and he drops like 100k of gp and he goes "omg dude look money!" So he keeps trying to lure me and then i say you don't have the lobs do you... and he was like "Ya you stupid noob I do just trade with me here!". After getting annoyed by his obivous mind game I said I was going to report him if he didnt answer if he was a lurer and he said yes and logged off.

Kaisershami.png

Kaisershami.png

meorkunderscore-1.jpg

This happened to me in RSC when I was a little stupid.

This guy offers to trade his r2h for some of my lobsters, and says that he has a glitch with the certer guy. I say alright and start giving him full inventories of lobsters. I think it was after 3-5 inventories he logged, logged back on to block me. Soon after I saw him again and just followed him, couldnt do anything.

mithmchef,Zamarko%20Monk.gif

I once almost fell from the trust scam - I was a nub then and a scammer had told me about some guild that gave you 100K a day. The person didn't give a website link or anything, so by then I sort of knew it was a scam. It was the 'offer 10 items, offer 20 items, offer all your stuff' I actually believed up the last one, but then when he said 'now offer all your stuff' I put up a tinderbox and pot. He immediately logged out, but I still reported him. :|

I was killing Yaks and was trying to sell my full guthix for money to get a whip and I get a PM

scammer: 'll buy your full guthix for 1.5 mil

Me: ok your world your place

Scammer: ok and I'm selling a whip to so give me 100k too and I give you the whip. And world 48 edge

me: Nvm lurer

Scammer: whats a lurer

Then I want to annoy them and make them lose runes,so

Me: I was talking to some-one else

Scammer: ok

Then I Glory to edge and they pm me again

Scammer: before we trade tell me what a lurer is

Me: it's someone that trades in the wildy and kills you.

Scammer: Well them meet me at the bridge so I can warn people that they might get scammed in the wildy.

So I grab an air staff and a invo full of burnt lobs.

And guess what there is a lvl 80 with ancients.

And as I was dying I laughed at them and he was like OMG why is that guy attacking you

:thumbsup:

britonlongbo.png

When I was a low lvl, I had addy full. I was so happy but thena guy asked me to tell him my pass for full rune, so i ddi and he did drop trade. I was so sad :wall: but I kept playing.

After that, I was extremely careful! :ohnoes:

dharok,kai1115.gif

kai1115.gif

I was buying a dragon chainbody for 15m *was a bit suspicous* so this level 70 traded me and put up a d chain...I put up 15m. We accept... And he changes to bronze chainbody :wink: I cancel the trade and report him. I walk away and I sucessfully buy a dragon chain for 15.6m

tifsbti6oi.gif

ok there was this dude in varrock west bank here is how it goes

him:selling obby cape!

me: ok *sends trade offer*

him:puts of noted obby cape

me:puts up 1k cannon balls(1k cannon balls=the price he wanted)

him:switches noted obby cape with a black one

me:i hit accept then looks at the 2 trade widow it says cape

me: scamer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

him: ur the scammer noob!!!!!

i dont get it....

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company

I was selling my green boater, when I get a PM from someone, asking to buy it in the bar north of varrock. I see a huge mound of cash sitting exactly in the wilderness. I go to grab it, when i see a lvl 57 mage in ghostly robes, which makes me think he's a pure, and possibly an ancient mage. Stopping, I ask if he's the one buying the hat. He runs off. Another guy cutting trees says it's him, trades me, and takes 2 steps into the wildy. I stop myself just in time, and the lure-er gets hit with a smoke burst. He starts complaining at him, which the mage defends by saying he missed. I run out calling them bad lurers. :shame:

Still alive, still alive.

I was selling my green boater, when I get a PM from someone, asking to buy it in the bar north of varrock. I see a huge mound of cash sitting exactly in the wilderness. I go to grab it, when i see a lvl 57 mage in ghostly robes, which makes me think he's a pure, and possibly an ancient mage. Stopping, I ask if he's the one buying the hat. He runs off. Another guy cutting trees says it's him, trades me, and takes 2 steps into the wildy. I stop myself just in time, and the lure-er gets hit with a smoke burst. He starts complaining at him, which the mage defends by saying he missed. I run out calling them bad lurers. :shame:

rofl that happened to me to expect the dude miss clicked and i got 10k hehe the one dude said u f'king moron u almst had him

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company

2 times:

i was almost victim to the most professional lure ive ever seen.

i was in lumby, with full rune g and dragon long. then some level 14 with 2 guys chasing him come up to me, and he said "i just found this, how much is it" and he was wearing a santa. so i said "pfft, yeh rite" and the 2 guys were like, "he did, *whatevernamehere* died of poison and dropped it", and as you would, i beleived it.

he then asked how much its worth, and i said "around 21mil, i think, not sure", and the other guy went "no, he lies, its 50k". so the noob traded with him, and the noob was like "wow, i got 50k!!! :)" and the other guy was like "yay, santa hat". he then followed me and asked how much it was and i said "however much you want to sell it for", so he said "200k and your d long", then he ran off and canoed to edgeville. i followed and he pmed me asking to come trade, and as he was a noob, i thought it would be ok wildy trading. so i waltzed over, and then, from the canoe dock, came 3 level 80's, all running for me. but as per usual, i teled away, then reported all of them :).

the other one, thanks to you lurvly people at tip.it saved me:

yet again, i was wearing rune g and d long, g shield etc. and was working on my house, i went outside to the portal to try and trade for some planks, and some guy my level invited me round his house. Me and about 7 people were there, we had a boxing match, and it ended up i won, but had 8hp. so he was like "lets feast", so we walked out to the stove across from the portal (made me suspisious he wasnt using his own), then he gave me a octopuss thing (canna remember what theyre called), he said cook and eat. but thanks to tip.it, i remembered that when cooked and eaten, it poisons you, so i teled away and reported :)

bsmovies.png

so picture the scene, I'm at varrock west bank, f2p, possibly the scammers homeland when i see this guy "follow me to win level 120 acc", i'm not sure if i should report him now or mess with him, i decide to have some fun, i follow him and after a while he leads me away to juilets house and asks am i muted, i nod since that little silver crown will probably give me away (in case ya dont get that I'm a p mod) and he asks if i'd like to help him scam people

(i'm seriously laughing at this guy right now) i reported him, said no thanks and left, i wish i could have seen his face irl......

voidknight.jpg

~hawt Knight of the Void~

image,prof-spc-fleb,white,black.png

Barrows drops: 3. veracs brassard, torags hammers & dharoks greataxe (double drop)

2 times:

i was almost victim to the most professional lure ive ever seen.

i was in lumby, with full rune g and dragon long. then some level 14 with 2 guys chasing him come up to me, and he said "i just found this, how much is it" and he was wearing a santa. so i said "pfft, yeh rite" and the 2 guys were like, "he did, *whatevernamehere* died of poison and dropped it", and as you would, i beleived it.

he then asked how much its worth, and i said "around 21mil, i think, not sure", and the other guy went "no, he lies, its 50k". so the noob traded with him, and the noob was like "wow, i got 50k!!! :)" and the other guy was like "yay, santa hat". he then followed me and asked how much it was and i said "however much you want to sell it for", so he said "200k and your d long", then he ran off and canoed to edgeville. i followed and he pmed me asking to come trade, and as he was a noob, i thought it would be ok wildy trading. so i waltzed over, and then, from the canoe dock, came 3 level 80's, all running for me. but as per usual, i teled away, then reported all of them :).

the other one, thanks to you lurvly people at tip.it saved me:

yet again, i was wearing rune g and d long, g shield etc. and was working on my house, i went outside to the portal to try and trade for some planks, and some guy my level invited me round his house. Me and about 7 people were there, we had a boxing match, and it ended up i won, but had 8hp. so he was like "lets feast", so we walked out to the stove across from the portal (made me suspisious he wasnt using his own), then he gave me a octopuss thing (canna remember what theyre called), he said cook and eat. but thanks to tip.it, i remembered that when cooked and eaten, it poisons you, so i teled away and reported :)

this is just the closest one to me that i could quoat but this type of scam called a lure you can not report people for it is not agains the rules but jagex says is not in the spirit of the game but not agains the rules the p mod if still browsing this ourm will say the same

I've had many encounters with p2p scammers, when they offer you a few mil so it looks like this:

then they take away some so it goes to:

27614 (apparently 4 is the closest looking to k)

The other day, I was in the western falador bank, and this person checked out my b sale, offered me some random amount of cash (let's just go with 2158k) and green d hide legs (idk what the point of that was)

I accepted, the second screen came up and the person didn't take any away. The person then declined and asked me to thrown in my dragon med. I put it in the trade screen too, all this time I knew it was going to be a scam but I wanted to see what would happen.

The person didn't take any cash away AGAIN, but declined. Then the person asked me to add in my obby shield, too.

Then when I traded again, I added in the shield and the person offered me 21,584 gp instead. It was so obvious :lol:

but even better, I sit on the second screen until the scammer declines, then I say "You'll have to try harder if you want my stuff, noob!" :XD:

then the scammer runs to the eastern falador bank, meanwhile I'm chasing the scammer saying "RUN SCAMMER NOOB RUN!!" :XD: :lol:

reportsigvj6.png

kidsranqe.png

Check out my Aviansies guide, going back to February 2008! viewtopic.php?f=180&t=772125&p=6254788#p6254788

reginlief_28.png

reginlief_28.png

i was walking in fala, some guy wanted my rune pl8 for 4394mil.

we traded, when i was checking if he really offered 4394 mil, he changed it to 4394 gp.

he was very slow so i could easily see it happening, i clicked 'deciline' and then 'report abuse'

most of those scammers are realy stupid, they yust aren't fast enough.

These may be not scams, but similar... actually the second one is more of a hilarous backfire.

One time, I was mining in Barb vil and was banking at Edgy when some guy asked me, "Since I have a good day today, I am giving away 200k, do you want it?" Then I asked him to show the money and he did. So he told me, "Follow" and went to wildy. I have already asked my friend earlier to come (He was mining, but he loves foiling lurers' plans). So I went out with the PKing gear, while at the same time my friend came from the direction of the monastery. I was binded and stuff, and I forgot the tele runes #-o , but after a nice battle, my friend survived and we split the loot. It was worth the break!

Even more funny, this guy said "Follow to win 100k!" And he went to wildy. (This happened later, so I brought tele runes, but they were good for another spell as well :-$ )

So he dropped the money and said: "See, it's here, come!" And then he got a surprise, Telegrab.

I laughed IRL.

The third, well, this is just an interesting story. I got in a team (a pure was with a range and a mage, and I was invited) and at level 8 wildy, the mage said something like "Now" and I was binded. I pretended to battle hard, seeing that the mage wasted lots of runes (It was ridiculous, I looted several addy arrows that the ranger fired and they couldn't kill me. They were clearly n00bs, even though I call few people that. The pure was actually crap, and the range wore full steel [!!!], and the mage just casted without a staff and used a far too crappy spell other than bind, etc.) then when it got tighter, I just used Varrock Teleport. I'd have loved to see their face at that moment.

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

The stupidest lure in the book "meet me by the prayer guild, I'm recharging prayer"

Of course it's nice to have a shortcut, and it's only into lvl 2 wildy but I'm surious enough to take the long road around. The guy is poisoned and arrives running out of the wildy shouting "nooooooo" and logs.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

about 2-3 weeks ago, i decided to sell my d chain as i was bored with it and wanted cash to do some of my goals. i made a forum post and had a nice little auction going, tho i wasnt getting the price i wanted. then some guy posts an offer of 16.5m. im like :shock: omg! i tell him he wins lol. but as i was changing worlds i had a voice in the back of my head that said that he was either A: a bait and switch B: a lure.

As i log in and get to edgeville (i do legit trading in edge) i was kinda supsicous. then he said to meet hem by the men in the house. we;; that was enough to know he was a lure. so i bank my stuff, and withdraw blk dhide, legends cape, climb boots, msb and rune arrows, rest is sharks. when i go meet him, i see that hes lvl 65ish lol. at this point im like "wheres your stupid ainchent freind? huh? HUH?!!?" he ofcourse denies it.

so i run into lvl 2 wildy, and sure enough, a lvl 104 is waiting for me in full ghostly and ainchents staff. (i was lvl 103 at the time) he ices and fails then dds'es. i mage short spec and start owning the heck outta him. he ran like hell rofl. Stupid lures, you cannot fool Linkzelda30! man pwning stupid ppl is fun!

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

rofl that happened to me to expect the dude miss clicked and i got 10k hehe the one dude said u f'king moron u almst had him

Just take telegrab runes lol, and walk away smilin'

moi_extraire.gif

Yes, I do know I'm not ranked in any REAL skills.