Almost Got Scammed? Want To Tell Your Story? Post It Here!

The_Sith

This happened twice:

I was at the duel arena. I saw a guy saying "range staking all levels!" I looked him up and saw his range lvl was TWENTY lvls below mine! I grew immediatly suspicious. Why would a noob ranger be willing to stake players who could have higher stats and range lvls? I knew he was a scammer. But I decided I'd try to catch him. So I staked him 20k (my usual stake) and saw his rules. He turned off mage and melee and turned every armor piece off, even the shield! So this was his scam! He'd thought people would use bows which were two handed, and would be helpless. He probably had darts. Well, I fought him anyway. This noob thought he was gonna own me. I pulled out my black darts which I had with me just in case of scammers like these, and I owned him.

i know thats a very bad thing to do but just curious, would it be considered a scam?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg im so annoyed. i was buyin 10 glorries 55k ea on forums (still am if u will sell)

scammer: i have 27 glories ill sell u 10 for 550k

me: ok

scammer: where are u

me: lumby bank

scammer: ok glory teleport to edgy and go to the canoe station

seems pretty suspicious, better bank all my stuff

me: i don't have a glory thats y im buying

scammer: ok then go to lumby canoe station you will need an axe

me: ok.. wait i found a charged glory in my bank lol

i go there and log off at the canoe station to go to his world

scammer: here ( he was 1 step from wildy)

he trades me and i accept knowing its a lure now and then i hear ice spells

me: did u seriously think im stupid enough to bring 550k cash near the wildy?

scammer: heh i was so close that wouldve bought me a couple of alchs

me: loser

lurer are getting really annoying

at 15:43 some one hacked my account they changed my pass word and i was a member so i was saying a few things.. anyway......ye i no anyway is a good word..... anyway my bank pin held in woop woop woop!!!!!

and

and

and

recurvery questions work woooo!!!!!!!!

im seeing an incredible ammount of wannabe scammers, most include the ever famous quick swap, and the newer scam, the buddy scam. I was trying to buy mage logs one day, and someone comes up to trade, i trade, and they put up 250 mage logs, so i put up 250 and hit accept. Just as always, i take a quick look over at the 2nd window, and there is 250 willow logs for 250k, so ofcourse i decline. its just a matter of time till one of us gets alittle too cofortable, and accadently accpts a trade scam. *sigh* RS is not heading for the better, and we need to do something about it. Lures, scammers, all of these u see on a daily basis. It can get annoying, especially if your trying to merch. But... noob merchanting should be against the rules too.....

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

I fell for the tag-team scam in Falador world 2 yesterday. It really didn't help that I didn't know prices anyways...

A guy was saying he was buying a whip for 2.3m. I trade and he offers a Warrior Ring (note he says warrior). There's a guy offering to buy warrior ring for 2.6m (indirect scam, guy isn't saying "selling warrior ring"). Now I didn't know prices and I'm sure he was expecting people to think it was a Beserker Ring. Well, I make the trade and as I go to try and make the quick bucks, I notice his "partner" is lv38 and so I'm basically thinking "crap, I think this is a scam..." Sure enough, the guy logs off and I'm left down 1.5m...

And that, good people, is why I never traded rings before...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Right i was selling a glory ammy(t) in world 2 and this guy pm's me and say's you want to come to my leaving party i said sure he said go to fally pub i go there he traded me and showed me 3 santas and said that what he was dropping i was like sweet free Santa then gives me varrock tele runes and says go world 77 so i do then he say's go to the jolly bar inn i got suspicious because i knew that was near wild so i bank all my items and go to the jolly bar inn he traded me and ran into wild so i traded him cause i had nothing to lose then i get frozen and die i think he must i thought i had my items from world 2 still lol.

On two occasions, I have been harassed by someone claiming to be a Jagex mod, boasting a screen name that might fool an inexperienced player. I humored them both for a minute or two. One of them was offering me a choice between two new weapons: the "Iban blade" or the "Twin Blades". The other was less creative, and just wanted to offer me free membership :shame:

questcapesigbalh.gif

The Once and Future Quest Guru

One time when I was a mega noob, i mean fresh from Tutorial Island the day before, I was talking to this guy about wizard hats. Then a guy - lvl 40 - and asked if we wanted a rune sword. By the I had figured out rune was more expensive than mith and of course, to every noob mith is like the essence of being rich. I said sure so he said follow me. He explained to me how he had hidden it far north (which I didn't realize you cant hide things and that far north meant wildy) we walked and walked and I noticed this guy was puting on armor and weapons. Then we hit wildy and I stop and read the warning sign that popped up. Fortunatly I was smart enough to turn around. :ohnoes:

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

My friend was scammed this summer. He was selling full Zammy for i think 500k, I don't remember the exact number, but a guy went to buy it, put up 500k, then started putting up a ton of cakes, and while doing that switched to 50k, my friend didn't notice, and he lost a lot of money

mstrgmr11.png

Joined RS2: Late May/Early June 2006

100 Combat achieved on June 30, 2007 All skills 60+ achieved on August 22, 2007

Quest Cape achieved on September 8, 2007, at 104 Combat

Check out my blog to 85 Slayer!

Runescape hacking site link removed. - McGuff1

Wow... a scammer trying to scam on a thread about scams....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways i seem to get a lot of noobs that pm me to try to scam my pass with the classic "I am Jagex Staff" scam and the "do u want a free membership"... but i always play along to have some fun and waste theyre time... lol...

Maybe that has something to do with my full rune(g) and the fact that im f2p :roll:

Lol, i have 4 of them actually...

First one was when i was f2p, maybe level 56 cb, buying a rune pl8 after dragonslayer...

Me: Buying rune pl8!

Scammer: *Trades*

Me: *puts up the cash*

Scammer: *puts up rune pl8 (unnoted)*

Me: *clicks accept*

Scammer: *switches for mith pl8, also unnoted*

Me: Wtf, put up rune pl8?!?

Scammer: *trys same thing again*

...this goes on for quite a while, i guess i didn't know what a scam was...ended up buying from the npc...

Second one was when i was selling dscimm, unfortunatly, i fell for it...

Me: Selling dscimm 100k!

Scammer: *trades*

Me: *puts up scim*

Scammer:* puts up 100k*

Me: *accepts*

Scammer: *puts up uncut saffy, takes away 90k*

Me: *accepts*

Scammer: *accepts*

D'oh! :wall:

Reported him but i've checked private chat, he still logs on...

The third one is when i was telegrabbing zammy wines...

Wannabe scammer: HEy u, grab the wien! *NOTE: this was AFTER the door was removed...*

Me: *telegrabs*

Scammer: Hye, uer soppused to grab ti wiht j00 hansd! N00b cmoe to wildy and i gvie 200k!

The last one, and prolly the best one...:

Me: *walking near tribesmen*

Scammer: *trades and shows 100k*

Scammer: I give yu this to klil 2 trbiesman

Me: ok... *kills tribesmen without getting poisoned*

Scammer: Umm...dindt wokr, do it agian

Me:*kills another, getting poisoned*

Scammer: z0mg n00bey leter i s4cmmed y0!

For some reason, the scammer attacks a tribesman...

Me: *drinks anti pot* lolz...

Scammer: Runs off toward brimhaven INSTEAD of the shop with antipots... =D>

Me: starts walking south to finish the quest i was doing...don't know why i didn't follow and loot, he was wearing full rune, and had 100k in pack for scam...

So i kinda imagine some random person finding a pile of loot with 100k, rune full helm, and either rune kite or legs...(depending on which has higher shop price)

Lol, i almost want to feel sorry for the last one, but it was his own fault...

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

just had a lure attempt

lurer:i'll buy your axe 100k

me:umm ok

lurer:wait hold on that guys annoying me lets go to the bar north of here(we were east of varrock) drinks on me :)

(at this time i know he is luring)me:ok i need to go bank first

me:*gets dds, prayer pot, food*

lurer:*realizes i took off all valuable items* umm i bought off some one else for 80k

me:yeah i bet, your just scared pathetic lurer

lurer:*logs out*

lol pretty dumb attempt if you ask me :XD:

i use a new account now "knex2"

i wasn't going to fall for this scam but............

here it goes.

scammer:follow me to win 1 mil.

me, a lvl 57, and a lvl 96, and a lvl 4 follows

scammer starts walking somewhere with us folowing

me:another scam -.-

scammer:no it isn't ask my friend *almost the same name as the scammer* he won the million from me

me:sure......

when the scammer gets to juliets house he stops

scammer:ok i'm not scamming if i do you can just report me

me:what's the point your a lvl 4?

lvl 57:yeah

scammer:ok we are going to play the trust game

the lvl 96 finally speaks and he turned out to be a player mod.

lvl 96:people don't fall for this it is just a common scam

everyone leave exept for the lvl 4

Gyroman25.gif

this just happened... very common but ill still tell it:

I was selling full wiz(g) in world 3 and some scammer trades and puts up 1m and a lot of objects, then whin i accept, the scammer puts up some meant and removes all the money but 10004 coins... this one seemed experienced cause i didnt even see the switch of money till the second trade window...

at least i wasnt scammed =D>

Everytime I buy laws at a law world newbs try to scam me!

I say I'm buying 1K laws

Newb offers 700 I put up my price and newb changes the 700laws to 70..

denied, reported and tried agian

( the newb never world swapped or anything he just went back to scammer since everyone wants to quick trade for laws)

I say I'm buying 1k laws agian...

Newb offers 300 I put up price and he swaps to 30...

denined, reported and tried agian

I finally quit the law buying, their just too many newbs!

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

That happened like 15 mins ago... i was buying a full sara, and that lvl 3 scammer traded noted full sara, exept that the legs were rune legs... i only saw it at the second trade window after 10 seconds, but it was to late... pressed accept right there and lost a lot of money... :( :wall: :(

Anyways... only took 5 mins to sell the things for the money needed... :(

Trusted my friend with dragon scimitar, dagger and rune boots. #-o

I never got it back, another friend of me, wanted to give his ddp to me, I refused, since I wanted to get it on my own, he dropped it. Should have accepted his offer.

Back on my old acct, when I had played for about a year, I was reasonably wealthy. Anyway, I had 13 x-mas crackers, and a few phat sets (Goddam I wish that didn't get stolen now. #-o ). Anyway, I was selling a set for cash, to buy some rune armor for a friend who had just got hacked (who later hacked me). I put up the set, and this guy puts up 13M. And I accepted, but he took it away, fast and I lost one of my phat sets.

Goddam, if that guy is still around, he's loving me. <.<

My worst scam on Poker was back when I won some money staking, and I was using Full veracs, fury, whip, and recoils for staking. (Before armored gloves.) Anyway, I was sitting there, staking people my levels, winning cash, and being a pixel-hugging jerk like I was before I left for 6 months. I then staked this guy, who at the last second, turn mage on. I did'nt catch it, and this was a whip stake. Funny thing was, he had ancients, but forgot to put movement on. :XD:

irulepokergd4.jpg

Irulepoker.gif

My Farewell thread. Please post nicely, or die. :^_^:

Yea, I'd vote for him too. But I don't think they let Iraqis vote :P

omg my head is pounding blood is scary. i was at mage bank and i had just beat kolodoin. then i asked a guy how to charge my staff he said i had to leave mage bank and follow him he'll protect me from pkers. i did with a guthix staff+cape, 200 bloods, 100 fires, 400 airs, and a glory. i put on a ring of life just in case and pulled the lever out of mage bank. he had 3 level 110s waiting: 1 with a whip, 1 with teleblock, and 1 with ancients :ohnoes: . i put on mage prayer and run for my life with auto retaliate off and i sprinted to that level east of mage arena. (they weren't following me i just had to get out of range of ancients) i had no cutting tool and if the web was there i was dead. my prayer ran out just then <.< . but the web was open! so i pulled the lever and.... uh oh couldn't teleport still. so i logged out as 2 level 90s teleported in from ardy :ohnoes: im so scared!

I was buyin a flail, and i was gettin desprate. I was buyin it for a lot of items, and that should have shown it was a scam, caus no one wants to buy all this junk...

Well, this guy, he said he would sell it, and he was at the mind alter. I go up there, and i see hes in the wild, but i still go caus like, he is level like....111 or somethin. So hes like, "Let me give you this free gift" so i trade, then his friend logges in right on top of him, so i have no idea, and freezes me. Me, ofcorse, has auto retaliate off, so yeah, i die without any fight. So i go back, and the guy is like, nice job to the pker. With the little strand of pride left, i try to get my ammy of nature and other untradeable stuff he could not get. And what do you know...he kills me again. So, fulled with anger, i take my d scimmy and some range armor, and try to kill him. and he kills me. so in total, i lost about 900k...whah

Another one is a law scamming one. So im buyin i think 1k laws, and this guy says he will sell me the laws for 150k. So i traded, and he made the 1k into 10, and since i was like, level 40 or somethin, i didnt know he did that, or to even check the 2nd trade window. So then, i find out, and i follow this guy (who is level 24) and ask for my laws or money. He walks to the house that you start the vamp quest in, and logs out, and logs back in as his level 92 main. He then starts to make fun of me and stuff, and i just keep reporting. Then, his GF comes and i report her too caus she is also makin fun of me. so in all, i reported atleast 9 times.

Last one

This guy is sellin a rune chain for 25k, and he says to go upstairs(were in varroc west bank) and he puts up a noted rune chain. he then declines, sayin it was lag, and trades again. He puts it up and again, he declines, sayin his finger slipped. Trades again, but puts up a noted mith chain. i accept, and notice it was mith, so i decline, call him a scammer, report him, and then, he gave me the rune chan for free. I then bought a rune b axe for him(back when they were 35k, not this outragous 40-50k).

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png

This one happened to me not long ago.

I was walking around in rimmington, when all of a sudden this level 40something comes up and asks if he can see what in my invent (I was wearing full rune t at the time), anyway, this is how it went:

Scammer: Hi, can i see whats in your invent?

Me: Why?

Scammer: cos your lvl 89 and i dont know what lvl 89's have in their invent

Me: I only have some telerunes and money... (Note: ALL my runes, and ALL my money)

Scammer: Oh... want to duel me in my house

Me: Bleh, sure why not

*Goes to house*

*Duels*

*He dies about 20 times in the process of getting me down to 5hp*

*All of a sudden he ejects me from his house*

Scammer: Oh sorry, here have this

*Gives me raw karambwan*

*Scammer lights fire*

Scammer: Here, you can cook it on this

*I cook*

*I eat*

*I realise i only had 3hp for some reason #-o *

*I'm poisoned, I die :wall: *

I lost my rune t helm, all my runes (100 laws, various basic runes), and all my money (100-and-something K)

I reported him, sold the rest of my rune t, bought some runes, went back to wcing...

Edit: No I didn't realise Karambwan was poisonous at the time

HOLY...MY friend was just tellin me to do that caus one of his friends got a green phat from that...wow...ill have to hit my friend for that, caus he is spreddin that around...

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png