Most overrated bands?

Daruina

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because non-mainstream music is 'generally' (vague) underrated, mainstream music is automatically overrated? I can't say I really agree with that, and I don't really see how anybody could agree with that. Am I missing something?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Cmon wasnt it obvious i was being sarchastic? :-s

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

To be honest not really. On this forum there seems to be a lot of people who honestly believe that. Which is totally wrong as music becomes mainstream usually because it is good.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Cmon wasnt it obvious i was being sarchastic? :-s

Yea, but there are enough people who seriously think that way.

21o4pav.jpg

But i posted word for word exactly what ShadowFaxPZ dared a "music elitist" to say. >.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Here's a few.

Metallica.

Nirvana, if their lead didn't suicide then they would never of been what they are now.

And an obvious one, Greenday.

There's plenty more of them, who else do you guys think are overrated?

:shock: hey :evil: dont say my favorite band ( green day ) is overated

Green day is overrated.

whatever......... let me guess, u think evrythin that is rock/poprock is over-rated

rsn = j a m e s(2 spaces)n

I said to say that mainstream music is overrated because pretty much all I've seen from this thread is mainstream bands.

Besides, I've seen people argue who the heck listened to this band first? WHAT THE [bleep]? People listen to the same band all the time, what's the point if you listened before someone else?

I love all the contradictions posted by people in this thread though. How the hell can a band NOT be catchy when it tops the charts?

All I understand from people posting everywhere that it's only cool if it's underground. Once it goes mainstream, the whiners come out.

"Oh man, ever heard of this? No? They're seriously cool."

when they reach stardom due to their music

"Omg, why do you like a band that even 12 yr old girls like? So lame man. Not cool."

Seriously, how lame can you get if you're gonna change your opinion about a band because of the people listening to it?

LED ZEP IS

Uhh...Led Zeppelin...*? :shame: you're kidding, right? Oh and Metallica is overrated

Yes, Led Zeppelin is overrated. Many people think they were the only rocking band in the 70s and therefore, consider them gods.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

LED ZEP IS

Uhh...Led Zeppelin...*? :shame: you're kidding, right? Oh and Metallica is overrated

Yes, Led Zeppelin is overrated. Many people think they were the only rocking band in the 70s and therefore, consider them gods.

I said they were over rated on pg. 1....

and its true..

Edit: Pg. 3... my bad.

um.

Led Zeppelin :oops:

im not joking.

let the flaming commense.

I agree.

Ditto. They are best than 95% of the bands, but they aren't the gods of rock as people usually say.

Deep Purple and The Who are much better, IMO.

:P

This post is overdone.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

greenday: when their "dookie" album came out, they just were BIG. i was 13 at that time and i can very well remember how "basket case" felt back then. it's flair exactly hit the time. they represented something. i loved that song. sure the music, especially billy joes guitar imo isn't very strong, but there style revolves around that "whininess" and not around great technical expertise. there were other great songs on that album to: longview?, when i come around?, she? i don't know any other band that brings that "i'm a slob, please love me" thing across that well.

american idiot appear just do be an exploit of them already established in the music industry. they were nobodys before dookie.

nirvana: nevermind... =P no, i mean there album. they just were a phenomenon. i was unfortunately too young to understand the hype when it came out(1992 it came out, right?), but i have an older sister, so was aware of them. nirvana and most of all kurt cobain of course expressed the longings of an entire genreation (although ageneration spans only idk 10 years nowadays). sure there music is technically poor and also the lyrics are (imo) poor, but the emotion is unmached. the pain and self destruction, because of the craving for something, that was entirely out of reach. he (or they) expressed what everybody felt and people believed in him. i swear music changed after he killed himself. there were so many people he inspired and he was (for a completly emotional reason) a bearer of hope. looking back i often feel a part of us was buried with him. overrated? i don't think so.

beatles? underrated? are you kidding me? (travel back in time and go to one of their concerts, watch thousands of girls burst into tears and faint and tell me agin, they are underrated)

metallica: uhm.. they INVENTED heavy metal, living music history. they are as old as i am. survived over two decades, changed their bass man twice and with that their style. they even progressed to what's now known as new metal (i believe?). i have to admit, i could hardly tell anything about what they did after the black album.

backstreet boys: they are big also (or were). i remember one of their first videos. they were good. good singers yes or no, it was the performance. it was with them, that the whole concept of boy bands came up (well.. actually i think it was new kids on the block, but that was a little before my time). Robbie williams is still BIG (at least over here in europe) and for a reason. for some reason women can't resist him.

who (of those i know, and i'm not really uptodate - barely listen to music) i really think is overrated are (besides of green day, who i also think are overrated for what tey do now) are the white stripes. "seven nation army" isn't a bad song per se, but he (or they) just can't pull it off properly, lacking charisma and self confidence and especially this song basically is about self confidence, he obviously wished he'd have, although it's clear he hasn't. they don't even have potential in my opinion. he just wished very bad he would be, what his songs tell us. that's what i fell the red stripes are all about. he wished he'd be.

Led zeppelin, AC/DC.. hardly know a song, know about nothing about them. couldn't tell.

PS: apologies for my sloppy english. just not my native language.

EDIT: and typos :oops:

i know that they exist(ed?) and are big for some reason, but i basically know no songs of them and have no idea, what they stand for

Led Zeppelin was probably one of the greatest bands ever, and lots of people listen to them just because other people say they are one of the greatest bands, mainly they only listen to the song Stairway to Heaven. Most of the people you see with Led Zeppelin shirts will only know the song Stairway to Heaven (once again the poser thing), as it has become way overplayed, which is why so many people believe they are over rated.

Here's a few.

Metallica.

Nirvana, if their lead didn't suicide then they would never of been what they are now.

And an obvious one, Greenday.

There's plenty more of them, who else do you guys think are overrated?

:shock: hey :evil: dont say my favorite band ( green day ) is overated

Green day is overrated.

whatever......... let me guess, u think evrythin that is rock/poprock is over-rated

Oh I loved greendays old CD's before american idiot. (probaly was the only pop-rock I realy liked).

Other than that i'm a metal person, so I'm against the whole poprock idea. Rock however I can enjoy.

Led Zeppelin was probably one of the greatest bands ever, and lots of people listen to them just because other people say they are one of the greatest bands, mainly they only listen to the song Stairway to Heaven. Most of the people you see with Led Zeppelin shirts will only know the song Stairway to Heaven (once again the poser thing), as it has become way overplayed, which is why so many people believe they are over rated.

Hah, no. Come on man, what are you trying to prove? That you're hardcore because you listened to Led Zep I, II and III? Man, you're teh cool. =D>

What a lame story.

21o4pav.jpg

Hah, no. Come on man, what are you trying to prove? That you're hardcore because you listened to Led Zep I, II and III? Man, you're teh cool. =D>

What a lame story.

I'm not trying to prove anything... why the hell do you always flame me? Ffs, thats just the way I see things, at my school at least.

Ever realised there are more people that listen to Led Zeppelin other than the people at "your school"? You're making stupid assumptions, people who make stupid assumptions need to get a flame every now and then, other wise they'll never stop babbling nonsense. It's nothing personal (I didn't even know I 'always' flamed you :s).

21o4pav.jpg

There there. Calm down young chaps. :wink:

I like Zeppelin, so does my father, so do my uncles, so do some of my friends. And most people with Zeppelin T-shirts know just a tad little more than just Stairway. I only have one old piece of rag which once was a T-shirt from a band and that band is Rage Against The Machine. If you look at my avatar and you know Rage, you know why I have that t-shirt.

So call me an idiot, because I can't sing along all Rage songs, I don't even know most of their lyrics, I just love the shirt.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I don't know much anything about Rage against the Machine (other than they have got cool album covers) so tell me, what's the connection between Rage Against and Che Guevara?

Oh, they got artwork with Che on it for a single. But, what more other than that?

21o4pav.jpg