the metric system rocks what is wrong with you people?

donutjunkie

ok well my friend has this joke going on whenever we play halo 2 and he dies he blames it on the metric system, whenever he cant explain something it is the metric system's fault, but ive just realised some people are serious about the metric system, they hate it.

why the hell would you hate a system that makes sense?

10 milimetres to a centimentre, 100 centimetres to a metre, 1000 metres to a kilometre, no matter how bad you are at maths you can't get confused with that.

give me one reason why the metric system is inferior to imperial other then the fact tht imperial has been around longer?

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

superman endorses the metric system! :o

Superman

now how can you argue with a man who's confident enough to wear his undies on the outside... in public... :shame:

On Imperial, everything would get oversized for Superman.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

It's pretty much the stupid Americans! Why cant they accept the fact that the way they do EVERYTHING is wrong? They even spell wrong. It's annoying when you have to do some chemistry or something, but its in American units, so you have to convert...the losers.

111yr4.jpg

It's pretty much the stupid Americans! Why cant they accept the fact that the way they do EVERYTHING is wrong? They even spell wrong. It's annoying when you have to do some chemistry or something, but its in American units, so you have to convert...the losers.

Your post is getting this thread locked.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

show some rspect, buddy. i grew up with the metric system so it is easy for me. as well as the other one would be easy.

It's pretty much the stupid Americans! Why cant they accept the fact that the way they do EVERYTHING is wrong?

I find it ironic how you got that "Ford" in your name :roll:

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

It's pretty much the stupid Americans! Why cant they accept the fact that the way they do EVERYTHING is wrong?

Lol.

It isn't all America's fault. It's also...Uhhh...Yemin. Yea. That's it. Woot.

We tried to convert to Metric system (under Reagan's Presidency, was it not?), but noone understood it so we scrapped it. It's kind of hard to get 300 million people to understand something they were NEVER taught in school. Hell, I was barely taught any metics in school either. Just a tad in science.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Isn't America like one of the 4 or something countries that still use the imperial system?

Hey United States, the 1800s called, they want their system back!

I believe it's just us and Yemin. I have no idea where Yemin even is, so...Yea. Awesome.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

abe2wz.gif

My car gets fourty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I like it!

Imperial is here because old people have the majority vote.

Old People --> Retired --> Nothing to do --> Complain about change.

End of discussion.

They're going to die soon anyways. Dang old people.

- Me!

Lol.

It isn't all America's fault. It's also...Uhhh...Yemin. Yea. That's it. Woot.

We tried to convert to Metric system (under Reagan's Presidency, was it not?), but noone understood it so we scrapped it. It's kind of hard to get 300 million people to understand something they were NEVER taught in school. Hell, I was barely taught any metics in school either. Just a tad in science.

UK and Canada did it almost entirely. Why can't you?

However, I do think that some parts of Imperial are better, if only for the fact that we are used to them. Pretty much only peoples height, and peoples weight. I don't really get KG's when someone says they weigh 70kg's I always just multiply by 2.2. And when someone says they are 170cm...Well, I ask them what that is in feet :|. Pretty much everything else is better, though.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

It's annoying when you have to do some chemistry or something, but its in American units, so you have to convert...the losers.

Chemistry and other physical sciences are taught using metric in America.

I love the metric system, I'm American.

I mean what is up with water freezing at 32 degrees? And boiling at 212? Crazyness.

However, I do think that some parts of Imperial are better, if only for the fact that we are used to them. Pretty much only peoples height, and peoples weight.
The only reason I know how tall I am in imperial is because I get asked to convert it so often I have it memorized. I find the Imperial method of measurement somewhat, odd. 12 inches to a ft, how ever many ft to a mile, etc.

I don't really get KG's when someone says they weigh 70kg's I always just multiply by 2.2. And when someone says they are 170cm...Well, I ask them what that is in feet :|. Pretty much everything else is better, though.

Metric, piece of cake, the bigger you want to go, move the decimal point one to a left and you're in the next biggest measurement. Want to go smaller, to the right.

\'

Edit:

I mean what is up with water freezing at 32 degrees? And boiling at 212? Crazyness.
In a logical world, we'd be measuring temperature in Kelvin (absolute zero being at 0); which kind of makes sense. But the Celcuis scale tends to have a better feel to it.

The biggest thing holding back metric adoption in the United States is the enormous cost of signage and re-education. Imagine having to go across America and replace every single sign in Imperial with one in Metric/Imperial, from road signs to super market labels. Not only that but you also have to educate the masses, so thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s advertising, pamphlets, day courses and so on. ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s not about practicality, but about cost and convenience; itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a shame that a country like America is doomed to their moon language measurements; it causes so many unnecessary problems in International collaboration (such as the failure of a $125 million Mars Orbiter due to a failure to convert between systems).

That's the price you pay when you didn't accept it when everyone else did. Almost everyone anyways.

There is only half a dozen countries (or there abouts) who still officially use the Imperial system.

Edit: And other countries seemed to have had no trouble converting. But I agree cost, given the size of America, could be a problem. But considering your current expenses, it'd be pocket change.

I think the reason it failed was because patriotic Americans decided that the metric system was some sort of foreign import. Accepting the metric system was just the first step on the slippery slope of allowing creeping communism to take over this great country of ours.

The government even put up speed limit signs in km/hr, but they were literally shot down by angry locals.

Apparently true-blooded patriotic Americans don't like simplicity. We prefer multiplying by twelve and dividing by 5280 when we talk about inches/feet/miles. Now that's sacrificing for your country. #-o

finalsig9wq.gif

I think the reason it failed was because patriotic Americans decided that the metric system was some sort of foreign import. Accepting the metric system was just the first step on the slippery slope of allowing creeping communism to take over this great country of ours.

The government even put up speed limit signs in km/hr, but they were literally shot down by angry locals.

Apparently true-blooded patriotic Americans don't like simplicity. We prefer multiplying by twelve and dividing by 5280 when we talk about inches/feet/miles. Now that's sacrificing for your country. #-o

Yea, and oddly enough, I'd wager that 100% of those "locals" are too stupid to even do the math. :lol:

- Me!