Why is this familiar game named Runescape?

Chaos_Reborn

Does anyone have any ideas or theories regarding why the game is called Runescape? Rune probably comes from the rune armour or the runes, and scape comes from landscape. Some dudes that I've seen even call the game run-escape :-k

What are your thoughts?

Rune as in the runes to make spells and scape cuz because its used in the end of something. Netscape...uh.... #-o

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Runes from the spells and a scape is a large expanse of land. Thus a large expanse of land where runes are used.

Or perhaps a subliminal message from Jagex, RunEscape?

On the flip side, it's been proven that women are probably better mothers

Yes I have balls, but they melted.

Some dudes that I've seen even call the game run-escape :-k

That's what I thought it was called when I first found out about it. :oops:

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

the scape part is quiet simple there are many things like netscape, landscape, farscape...just means like a land mass or a place runes is just a made up item found only is this scape i guess lol and people just call it run-escape for a quick laugh :lol:

legends2.jpg

the scape part is quiet simple there are many things like netscape, landscape, farscape...just means like a land mass or a place runes is just a made up item found only is this scape i guess lol and people just call it run-escape for a quick laugh :lol:

'Runes' aren't only found on this game, they have been mythical items for magicians spells for a loooooong time

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

Well the game is based on lots of rune things, with the landscape revolving around the power of runes. Anyway it's just a game name that Andrew thought of.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

Run-escape

because u gotta run and escape before u get addicted and catch the disease!

but rune is just a made up word which Jagex came up with , and scape means world.

RS name is o 0 o0 0 00

Why is everquest called everquest, or why is starcraft called starcraft? Just good sounding names that sell.

Runescape: Lodev (Combat level been fixed at 101 for years now, Total level 1500+, playing since march 2002)

Arenascape: Lode (Level 240+ Warlock)

Everquest is because it's a quest that goes on forever, starcraft because it's a game in the stars (galaxy) with spacecrafts.

And no, I wouldn't think Runescape as a name itself really sells, but it is easily pronounced. Everquest sounds like a good selling name though.

Run-escape

because u gotta run and escape before u get addicted and catch the disease!

but rune is just a made up word which Jagex came up with , and scape means world.

rune isnt a word jagex made up its use in many myths and its also an ancient language which btw 3 ppl in the netherlands speak and i know one of them 8-)

poepje30sig25copy0ie.gif

Hm, I thought the whole mythos of Runescape was based on the wizards uncovering the lost rune-magic: hence land of runes--Runescape.

And yes, runes are an archaic alphabet used by the the Scandinavians, Anglo-Saxons, and Germanic tribes. ( Tolkien also used runes in a similar fashion to illustrate the written language of the Elves and Dwarves in the Lord of the Rings).

Some dudes that I've seen even call the game run-escape :-k

my mom calls it that...yeah my mom plays :wall:

your mom is cool. :P

back to rs, i guess. it's been 4 months.

RSN:P H Osho <- gonna start on him soon, fresh.

JageX finds runes and magic a very important part of the game, so I can imagine the names comnig from the runes used for magic.

Then why did we have to live with little blue astrisks flying through the air for all those years? :P

sir%20nomad.gif