Obisdian item scamming

e89456

A few days ago I was buying an obby set in world 6. He puts up an obby sheild and cape, I put up 700k. We both accept, and he switches the sheild to a maul just as I press accept. We're in the second trade screen and there's a ThZaar-ket-om and an Obisdian cape in his window. And I'm thinking "Hmmm... That doesn't look like an obby sheild...." I look at my other sheild and it says ThZaar-ket-xil(sp?) Has this ever happened to you? It has probably been around for awhile, but this is the first time I've seen it.

The point to this post if always memorize the names of items and check the second trade screen! :D

runemmagecape,e89456.gif

e89456.gif

e89456.gif

hasnt happened to me before but i think JaGex should change the name of the obby gear...

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

no, its not a new scam because all he did was a quick switch, occurs all the time..

I mean the names, it could be done with most obby items. They look almost exactly the same.

oh, im sorry, but yes, ive heard about that before too on one of the RSC anti-scam guides.

99 Ranged F2P achieved 21 November (2961st)

KILLZSIGZ.jpg

and thanks to you, you've released it to scammers everywhere...lol, jk. They should do what they do with large amounts of items like..u buy 3426 willows, comes up as 3426 willows (3k willows) but should have (obsidian shield, maul, sword..etc.) we can't keep those names straight. :notalk:

change your title to something like "tzhaar item scamming". this is not a new scam, it is over a year old. back on topic. the easiest way to avoid this scam is by memorizing the name of the object in the first trade menu and the name that appears is the second. besides, most of the endings to the names explain what they are.

om= obsidian maul

xil(pronounced sheel) sounds a lot like the word shield, which is what it is.

Not sure if anyone posted this but I had something similar happen.

he put up like 3 obby capes and a black cape (black one was in the middleish, 2nd or 3rd item.

I said 1 cape and he took down the obby capes leaving the black cape.

On the second trade screen I noticed that it was a black cape. I was "boom reported" \'

made0f12une.png

^^ClicK^^

"I backed my car into a cop car the other day

Well he just drove off sometimes life's ok

Alright already we'll all float on

Alright don't worry we'll all float on" - Isaac Brock

Days Hunting:4 - Kingly Imps Caught:2

Money Earned: 4.5-5m

It's pretty simple.

WATCH THE FIRST TRADE SCREEN LIKE A HAWK!

Preferably like a Barihawk, but that is besides the point.

Never believe a trade is as good as it seems, ALWAYS assume that it will end in a scam. They can't switch the items without you noticing because any changes made to the deal have to be approved by you! NEVER hit the first accept button unless you know what you are dealing with. Your accept will turn off if any changes have been made to the deal! You would have to accept again, which means you were in such a rush to make the trade, that you were being stupid to even allow it to proceed to the second screen!

It really should not be an issue, and the second screen is only really useful for numbers of items (the number switch).

The first screen is the first line of defense.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I've felt for a while that Jagex really does need to change the names of the obby items. I mean, why the the Obby Cape the only one wtihout Tz-Tok in front? Seriously...Jagex, rename the items to Obby Shield, Obby Maul etc etc.

100combat7xp.gif

Don't free Durial. Put this in your sig if you believe in justice.

If you can remember "Tz-Tok-Jad", you can remember "Tz-Tok-Xil".

:|

It's "Totzk-Ket-Xil" I believe...

Stop owning me. :uhh:

Use a Rune Defender!

Wrong yet again... sigh. Toktz-Ket-Xil = Obsidian shield. Tztok-Jad = lvl 702. If you spend even a few days at Tzhaars you will most likely memorize the names well enough to easily pick out a scam like this.

Nazgul.jpeg