Tip.It Times Presents: Welcoming Home the Prodigal Children

Kiara_Kat

Quite a poorly wrote article, and extremely mis-leading. it begins by informing of the Tip.It amnesty and then goes on to discuss in-game bannings. The inference is that the bannings from this site were for infractions of the rules in runescape, which in a lot of cases isn't correct.

The bannings for the most part were for the draconian enforcement of Tip.It's board rules, not Jagex's game rules. As far as I'm aware Tip.It just a fan site and in no way connected to Jagex, although Lightning did give all the Jagex staff mod powers on these boards at one time it wasn't a two-way agreement(incidentally, did you know that Andrew Gower banned all the Jagex staff from posting on here due to security issues with this site. Wonder if that ban has been lifted).

it would be interesting to note what the ratio of banned:unbanned accounts was before this amnesty.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad tipit have done the right thing as I was banned for a very petty thing in the first place.
Heh striker yours was the first name I looked up when I read that announcement about the mass unbanning :P

IMO most games shouldn't have perm bans at all. It should be like 4 months tops.

If a scammer gets banned, he'll just make a new account and start all over. 4 months later he won't even remember that he had an old account.

Ditto for a bot user.

The ones really getting hurt by the perm bans are the ones who either made an honest mistake or who're the victims of a mistake at jagex' end.

Just like pure ess, the only ones being hurt by perm bans are the legit players.

Quit runescape, now playing EVE-Online(Mail Cambarus and say hi :mrgreen: )

=D>

I think that Tip.It made a good choice by doing this. You gave people time to think about what they did and then let them come back to the forums and back to the community. Almost like a grounding of some sorts. Welcome back to everyone who is coming back and please don't do anything to get yourself banned again.

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

I agree that people should be given a second chance, however I hold the belief that people, at the core, never change - and I think unbanning so many was a mistake. Perhaps some of them were immature and now may be more mature and allowed back on the forums, however for many this is not the case. For example, a couple of days after the mass-unbanning, many forum members who had publicized their email address, including myself, recieved a scam email, which looked extremely official. I'm sure the two incidents are related, and this article fails to mention it.

On a side note, I can't wait till the next facts and figures article! I can't wait to get my teeth into some good old-skool number crunching! I know how the editor loves his stats!

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

I can't wait to get my teeth into some good old-skool number cruncing!

Don't mean to be picky, and you can delete this specific post afterward, but I think you meant to use "crunching", not "cruncing"...

Just trying to be nice and help. :D

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Another article with misleading facts, I really wish people would do research before giving the wrong information to thousands of users.Jagex don't perm ban for "petty" rule breaking, they issue black marks which can accumulate to a permanant ban if the user gets more.

People deserve a second chance if you are sure they are going to use it wisely and it can't be decided on a grand scale such as this, it needs careful consideration and thought.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

Don't mean to be picky, and you can delete this specific post afterward, but I think you meant to use "crunching", not "cruncing"...

~Mr. Devnull

Ah, well done. You passed the um... test, yes that's it. A test.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

Another article with misleading facts, I really wish people would do research before giving the wrong information to thousands of users.Jagex don't perm ban for "petty" rule breaking, they issue black marks which can accumulate to a permanant ban if the user gets more.

I think we'd have to look at the number of bans vs. successful ban appeals first.

Point is, you actully don't know if they ban for petty offenses or not. On one hand, we have the "bannees", who say it was a petty offense. On the other hand, we have the "banners", who say they don't ban for petty offenses. It's one person's word vs. another, and it's just a matter of choosing sides.

May I ask, roughly how many people were unbaned?

I wouldn't mind knowing myself :P

summerpngwy6.jpg

~Mr. Devnull

Man... i love you... in a nice way... right... :twisted:

But you actually made yourself more annoying than i was going to be... DARN YOU :thumbsup:

But, now to get on topic, There are quite a few people who i like to see back on the forums, but there are a few who i found incredibly insulting and should stay banned. I hope this was a reviewed unbanning and not a mass unbanning. But, i hope we can welcome some of the better ones back O:)

vivi.jpg

Which FF Character Are You?

"The only tyrant i accept in this world is the still voice within." - Mahatma Gandhi

newscapere4.gif

I agree people should be given a second chance IF you can monitor them, I'm guessing you can do this on a elbeit big forum, however I didnt like the way the article refered to the game without actually naming it, maybe to avoid legal action :lol: but in general the two should'nt be compared simply because of the sheer size difference.

It is impossible to monitor things in game so jagex relys on user reporting. Jagex have to be decisive because the sheer scale of the job, imagine how many bans they would have to review, further more it is alot easier to go cheating undetacted, for every unfair ban, they could let tens or hundreds of people back into the game with intention of cheating and ruining it for others.

Bdave.png

I guess Sue Me and Adx1 are unbanned, then? I once got banned when somone cracked Tip It account somehow and posted some things which I never saw since the thread was deleted. :3>

I like the idea of Jagex doing a mass unbanning for "good will" puposes. It would work for those banned for language and other minor offenses but of course not for autoers and such.

Some who have beeb playing for a long time will recall that Jagex *has* unbanned people before and announced it in Tip It. That was the time when some player accounts were unbanned after th knife bug.

rules are rules and things like account sharing spoils the game. i think its fine the way it is.

newbankofrsyq0.gif

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2306/1kw4.gif[/img]

~ÃÆââ¬Â Ã¢ââ‰â¢ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡ÃâìÃÆÃââââ¬Ã¦R ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâàHÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâöNÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâÃ

Amen, amen. What you said about the ingame bans was SO true. Someone on tip.it lost party hats and his daughters char because of supposed account selling. The only problem with removing censorship is that noobs would go around swearing all the time. (I can forsee terrible things in nonmembers Lumbridge). I dont mind someone swearing as some dragon owns them with a 52.

:shame: it's really simple, either follow the rules or be banned. i'm all for the rs and tip.it bans. if you knowingly break the rules and have your account banned then i have no sympathy for you. the rules are there for a reason. if you cannot follow them then do us all a favor and quit playing the rs game.

I totaly agree. When people break rules when they know they are not allowed to they 100% percent deserve it. For example lets say at school when you do somthing like use a iPod (Or anything that you are not alowed to have in school thats minor) You get it taken away the first time or a warning, but then after that you usually get a worse punishment for defiance. Yea maybe you would say "i was just listening to an ipod for crying out loud" But thats not the reason its because you knew it was wrong and you did it again. I like how jagex bans.... ::'

prospektssigza4.jpg

For tip.it, I think that the administrators should be specific how long a user is banned for.

However, to prevent people from using sock puppet accounts to evade bans, we should use a "ban timer" system.

Suppose Fred is banned for 2 weeks. If he tries to evade the ban with a sock puppet and is caught after one week, the ban timer resets. Assuming that he no longer tries to evade the ban, the ban would be 3 weeks long.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

sry. if i didn't understood the thing but........dause this means that i have achance of gettming my old trusty RS acc back?
The article is talking about Tip.it forum accounts being unbanned, and then talks about RuneScape. ;)

In otherwords, Tip.it's unbanning "day" is not in relevence with the unbanning of RuneScape accounts, which is entirely up to Jagex, not us, as we are a fansite and not an affiliate of them.

Cool... now for jagex to do the same....

My account(scipio 95) got a perm for asking for my rl friends pass as a joke... i said i was jking in the same message.... *?! A temporary ban, ok... a perm... Come on Jagex?

That was just something you shouldn't have done anyway. :roll: Think about it a moment. A lot of people are trying to pass scam for real. If you're doing it, even jokingly, isn't it a little over the edge? :-k Don't you realize to those younger than you that you're accidentally teaching them a bad thing?

[part-off-topic]Of note, I can usually be found royally exploding on anyone doing pass scams (meaning you'll want to not do that around me)... Usually have to report at least 1 every week, and usually before I (cleanly) yell at them. Macroers? Like 15 to 20 a week... Item scammers? At least 3 a week...

I am at total hate of all the people who wish to break the game rules, especially the serious ones. I'm glad I have a P-Mod in game as a friend, since we can thump rule-breakers together. :D Personally, I am so ticked off about it that I am not going to stop until the rule-breakers are all gone. If you run into me, please, help me to fight the rule-breakers.[/part-off-topic]

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I would have to say that I agree with you. People deserve a second chance, if you did something wrong you'd want a second chance right?

If I have been punished for something majorly wrong I have done, then I accept it and move on with my life, just more depressed and suicidal than usual. [Edit]

Sure, I might like a second chance, but with something like RuneScape, there's only room for second chances in non-"heavy offense" cases... So long as it wasn't a heavy offense, sure, I might like a second chance.

If I or a friend have been wrongfully punished, on the other hand, I will raise hell until those who have wronged me or my friend undo what they have done.

~Mr. Devnull