Earth really is pathetically small...

____

Yea, ofcourse there are bodies much bigger than earth or the sun, but that dosent make earth very small.

The planet that really impressed me is rigel, it looks very young and hot, I imagine it will be about 3 times as big as the last one in a couple of billion years.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THats pretty big!.... Not as big as my ego though... ::'

world2isntthathardby4.pngI think merchanting is extinct....

lordofthehauntedminestextcb6.png Completed haunted mine at level 75.

Barrows Drops: Dh platelegs, Guth helm, Karils cb, Torags legs

-------------RETIRED------------------

Looking on wikipedia, the largest known star is 1900 times the suns diameter (Antares is only 700)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_stars

"If it replaced the Sun in our solar system, it would extend to the orbit of Saturn."

Doesn't seem thaaaaat impressive though ;)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

There are bigger things to ponder about, such as what's at the middle of everything? Assuming that there is a middle.

Or maybe a more answerable question. What's the at the middle of our galaxy?

What about what's at the edge of the galaxy? ;)

Just more space :D

My second question is stil more answerable though :?

Indeed, I don't believe most people understand how massive the Universe even is.

Like, according to the Big Bang theory, which could be false, of course, the Universe has been moving for 14.5 billion years at the speed of light...Do the math on that distance. :P

Ok, I have no life. So I did the math.

In 14.5 Billion years, going the speed of light, we have gone

851,871,242,200,000,000,000 miles.

? ? 1T 1B 1M 100k 1k

Note - This is only 8.518172422 E^22

The number of atoms in 1 mole of a substance is 6.022 E^23 :)

Oh my wowes! No wonder there is no intelligent alien life forms visting this backwater planet... Were so insigniffict to them! I mean they need the roadmap to the universe just to find the sun! Imagine they had a ship 3/4 the size of that biggest sun orbiting that biggest sun, even if they found us, our solar system would be like a bug on their windscreen to them!

even if they found us, our solar system would be like a bug on their windscreen to them!

Actually, if I am right. The solar system spans about twice the size (if not three times the size) of the biggest star we know of, somewhere around 1900 lightyears big.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

even if they found us, our solar system would be like a bug on their windscreen to them!

Actually, if I am right. The solar system spans about twice the size (if not three times the size) of the biggest star we know of, somewhere around 1900 lightyears big.

Distances within our solar system are usually measured in SAstronomical Units. 1 AU =the istance from Earth to the Sun = 149 598 000 Km. According to Amelie Saintonge, our Solar System is 100,000 AU's across, making it 14, 959, 800, 000, 000 Km across, that is 14,959 Trillion Kilometres. 1 Lightyear is (3*10^5)*60*60*24*365.25 = 9.467 Trillion Km. 14,959/9.467 = 1,580 Lighyears. so 1900 isn't a bad effort!

Antares However is a mere 980 Million Km across. Its diameter is therefore a measly 0.0000655% the diameter of our Solar System.

And to whoever said that the universe has been expanding at the speed of light for 14.5 Billion years is actually wrong. No-one really knows how fast the universe is expanding. We can measure the recessional speed of Galaxies by observing their Doppler Shift, and hence the expansion of the Universe to some degree, because this is related to their Red Shift, but because both of these employ the use of the Hubble Constant, of which no-one has a precise value, we don't know exactly how fast the Universe is expanding. We also don't know whether that rate of expansion is increasing or decreasing, because we do not yet know whether we are in a linear, open or closed Universe. If the amount of matter in the Universe is large, it would make sense that after the big bang, the universe would expand for a while, but then begin to contract under its own gravity, to a single point again. However, if the matter in the Universe was not sufficient to bring about a collapse, the universe would continue expanding forever, with the rate of expansion increasing, an open universe.

We don't yet know the density of the universe. We think it is not very dense because it is, for the most part, transparent. However, new evidence and research into Galaxies that have solar systems and planets rotating around the galaxies core far faster than they should be, given the distance from the core, is beginning to bring about theories of WIMP's - Weakly Interacting Massive Particles. These massive particles may make up a tremendous amount of the Universe's mass, but as we have not yet discovered any hard evidence for their existance, we just on't know, the evidnce just doesn't add up.

The likelihood is that we will never know. As the author of this post has said, Earth is infathomably small compared to the scale of the Universe. There could exist many dimensions that we just don't know about, that affect any number of factors. We are an insignificant speck on Mother Nature's greatest masterpiece, and just as on speck of paint of a canvas cannot possibly view the whole picture, it is likely that we will never view the Universe in its entirety.

Thanks to anyone who read this to the end :P

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

Distances within our solar system are usually measured in SAstronomical Units. 1 AU =the istance from Earth to the Sun = 149 598 000 Km. According to Amelie Saintonge, our Solar System is 100,000 AU's across, making it 14, 959, 800, 000, 000 Km across, that is 14,959 Trillion Kilometres. 1 Lightyear is (3*10^5)*60*60*24*365.25 = 9.467 Trillion Km. 14,959/9.467 = 1,580 Lighyears. so 1900 isn't a bad effort!

Actually, Astronomical Units are the average distance between the Earth and the Sun. Since the Earth revolves in an elliptical unit around the Sun and the distance of the Earth from the Sun at the Aphelion point and Perihelion point are about 5.9 million kilometers apart.

If the Universe did keep expanding forever, it would get colder and colder...

So basicly, the Human race is pretty screwed either way; since the purpose of life is to contribute to the success of your species, there is no purpose to life. Everything we do will be undone. There is no difference whether we are alive or not. I'm going to go cry in a corner now...

:(

Actually, Astronomical Units are the average distance between the Earth and the Sun. Since the Earth revolves in an elliptical unit around the Sun and the distance of the Earth from the Sun at the Aphelion point and Perihelion point are about 5.9 million kilometers apart.

If the Universe did keep expanding forever, it would get colder and colder...

True, I missed a trick there, thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, just fractions of a second after the Big bang, the Universe measured into the trillions on the Kelvin scale, today it is just under 3 K. This is because as the Universe expands, so does time, space and matter. Heat is essentially energy, and as E=mc^2, that Energy is being converted to Matter, and the energy spread over a greater volume of space. Thus, the Total amount of Energy in the Universe does not change, (because matter is energy) but the amount of heat, does.

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

nothing could possible survival at that gravity though.

Nothing FROM EARTH could survive at that gravity. It doesn't mean that other things there can't. Take deep sea for example, one wouldn't expect creatures to be able to survive at such high pressure - but lo and behold when submarines went down they found life.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Err... What?

If our solar system has a diameter above 5 light years, I'll eat me keyboard.

Alpha Centauri isn't even 4 light years away!

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Err... What?

If our solar system has a diameter above 5 light years, I'll eat me keyboard.

Alpha Centauri isn't even 4 light years away!

There are comets orbiting the Sun 100,000 astronomical units away.

It really depends on your definition of the Solar System and whether or not you include those comets. The dwarf planet that is the farthest away would be Sedna, which is like 900 AU's from the Sun at its aphelion point.

But you are right, he made an mistake. It's 14.959/9.467 , which is about 1.58 light years. If anyone complains about significant figures, I'll stab them...

*Ahem*

Yeh srry, I hit the comma key and the decimal point key in the wrong places! As you might have onserved from some of the rest of that post, my keyboard is playing up a little bit at the moment - its one of the newfangled wireless ones that keeps going wrong!

Thanks for correcting that

And yes, I did quote someone on the diameter of the solar system, I didn't use my own calculations :wink: I dont know what the official figure is, or where it is measured up to. It may be up to the Oort cloud, it may be the twice the diameter of Sednas farthest point from the sun, I don't really know. Anyone have any 'Official' data?

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

Every Planet We Reach is Dead

Yeah they're really huge, nothing could possible survival at that gravity though.

And the fact that most bigger than earth are gas giants :P

*Scratches head*

Isn't Neptune the only gas planet we have?

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!