Earth really is pathetically small...

____

Those are awesome pictures mate.

Did u know that if you shrunk the distance between the Earth and the Sun to just one inch, that the nearest star would still be four miles away! Just to give u an even better appreciation of our galaxy scale

Harrington.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to bring up this topic again.

Is there other life out there?

I mean with 202,350,931,282,034,851,035,832,132,598 planets to the power of 100 being like 1/1000 of the total number out there (I don't know just made it up) there has to be at least ONE planet like Earth.

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

I mean with 202,350,931,282,034,851,035,832,132,598 planets to the power of 100 being like 1/1000 of the total number out there (I don't know just made it up) there has to be at least ONE planet like Earth.

Or, what if there are life near us, but we can't detect it? What if there is life that is so different from our own, we are unable to recognize it when we see it?

What if they are aware of our existence, but we aren't aware of their existence? What if they are futilely attempting to contact us right now?

The possibilities are endless...

Or, what if there are life near us, but we can't detect it? What if there is life that is so different from our own, we are unable to recognize it when we see it?

What if they are aware of our existence, but we aren't aware of their existence? What if they are futilely attempting to contact us right now?

The possibilities are endless...

And then those possibility's stop when they reach our government.

cyco_1.jpg

Yea, I love this picture.

malaxaph7.jpg

So lets see here, each galaxy is self contained. Even in Sci-Fi ships usually stay in their own galaxies. Okay, so lets see here:

Galaxy #1: Star Wars is real. Its going on right now over in that galaxy

Galaxy #2: Same deal, but this time it's Star Trek

Galaxy #3: This is actually an exact replica of the milky way, earth even exists with humans and everything,

Galaxy #4: Anther replica of the milky way. Only one thing is different really. Instead of humans, giant cuddly, superintelligent puppies rule the world. On and the oceans taste like candy. :D

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Nice picture.

See in the top left hand side there is a spiral arm galaxy, thats pretty nice.

And if this is the Hubble Deep Field shot that I am thinking of, can you see about a third of the way from the lefthand side, about a quarter of the way from the top, there are 3 galaxies very close together? Just to the left of them is a very small, insignificant looking galaxy. In fact, if I am correct, this is the oldest galaxy discovered to date, being formed about 12 billion years ago, just a billion years after the Big Bang.

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

tadpolegalaxy2.png

These are my 5 galaxies.

The big one I like alot, and wish I knew the name of.

The second biggest one, above the tail, is an odd but beautiful galaxy.

The blue irregular galaxy is an example of a protogalaxy, which is what is speculated that the first galaxies resembled.

My favorite are the 2 small galaxies at the bottom, which look like they're colliding. They're probably not, still I'd love to learn about these two galaxies.

Meh, I'm weird. :P

And if this is the Hubble Deep Field shot that I am thinking of, can you see about a third of the way from the lefthand side, about a quarter of the way from the top, there are 3 galaxies very close together? Just to the left of them is a very small, insignificant looking galaxy. In fact, if I am correct, this is the oldest galaxy discovered to date, being formed about 12 billion years ago, just a billion years after the Big Bang.

IOK-1? Well, is this it?

iok-1.png

The redshfit sort of gives it away.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

holy crap :shock: :shock: :shock: so large so vast :shock: :shock: it is crazy :anxious: this might prove that (Area 51 is real and they have aliens there :-$ dont tell them thought they might find us) it is creepy

Area 51 is real. I have no idea why quite a few people believe in it as a mythical place. The whole alien thing however, only the people who work there/government would know that. I doubt they are there though. Might be a few UFO's there for all I know (depends if you believe Bob Lazar or not ;)), but I doubt aliens are there.

But yes, the universe is amazing. :3>

Back to studying for my maths and english exam tommorow. -.-

Now I want to be an astronomer (And I can't even spell it) But yeah it does seem really interesting and science comes really easy to me, at least right now it does.

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

I'm not sure why people think Area 51 is a mythical place either.

Ever use Google Maps? You can see the actual facility via satellite.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I'm not sure why people think Area 51 is a mythical place either.

Ever use Google Maps? You can see the actual facility via satellite.

Yea, I don't see what all the fuss is about, I don't see any flying saucers.

area51.png

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

• 1 month later...

wow. I alsways knew our planet was insignificant in comparison to pretty much any star, but that biggest one is huge. How about comparing that big start to a galaxy? and that galaxy to the universe. The the earth seems even smaller. The universe is a huge place.

wow. I alsways knew our planet was insignificant in comparison to pretty much any star, but that biggest one is huge. How about comparing that big start to a galaxy? and that galaxy to the universe. The the earth seems even smaller. The universe is a huge place.

Seeing as how the universe is infinite, it's not even possible to compare a galaxy to it.

And I'm sure there are WAY bigger stars out in the universe.

anyone know what a quasar is? maybee they are real big?

edit: yes, apparantly they are frikkin huge, this from enyc. Brittanica:

quasar

Any of a class of enigmatic cosmic objects of high luminosity and strong radio emission observed at extremely great distances; also, a closely related object that has the same optical appearance but does not emit radio waves, i.e., a so-called quasi-stellar object (QSO). Most quasars exhibit very large redshifts, suggesting that they are moving away from Earth at tremendous speeds (approaching the speed of light); they thus are some of the most distant known objects in the universe. Quasars are no more than a light-year or two across but as much as 1,000 times more luminous than a giant galaxy having a diameter of 100,000 light-years; their extreme brightness allows them to be observed at distances of more than 10 billion light-years. Many investigators attribute such energy generation to matter spiraling at high velocity into a supermassive black hole (millions or billions of times as much mass as the Sun) at the centre of a distant galaxy. See also active galactic nucleus.

:shock:

now that would make them the single biggest objects in the universe? i think so...

edit: yes, apparantly they are frikkin huge, this from enyc. Brittanica:

quasar

Any of a class of enigmatic cosmic objects of high luminosity and strong radio emission observed at extremely great distances; also, a closely related object that has the same optical appearance but does not emit radio waves, i.e., a so-called quasi-stellar object (QSO). Most quasars exhibit very large redshifts, suggesting that they are moving away from Earth at tremendous speeds (approaching the speed of light); they thus are some of the most distant known objects in the universe. Quasars are no more than a light-year or two across but as much as 1,000 times more luminous than a giant galaxy having a diameter of 100,000 light-years; their extreme brightness allows them to be observed at distances of more than 10 billion light-years. Many investigators attribute such energy generation to matter spiraling at high velocity into a supermassive black hole (millions or billions of times as much mass as the Sun) at the centre of a distant galaxy. See also active galactic nucleus.

:shock:

now that would make them the single biggest objects in the universe? i think so...

Holy...

No way, just...no way...

A quasar is just a super massive black hole that's sucking in material from around it. It can't be that big...no way...

Seeing those pictures make me feel a 1,000,000,000,000th of a pixel. Maybe our sun can grow up to the size of Antares, we have to wait 10 billion years for it.

I don't think the Sun will never grow to the size of Antares. It will be long gone before it could ever reach that size. However it will become much larger. After destroying everything in it's path (including the Earth) while becoming a red giant, it will remain there for billions of years, then collapse into a white dwarf. But I doubt it will ever reach the size of Antares.