Earth really is pathetically small...

____

Every Planet We Reach is Dead

Yeah they're really huge, nothing could possible survival at that gravity though.

And the fact that most bigger than earth are gas giants :P

*Scratches head*

Isn't Neptune the only gas planet we have?

No, there's Saturn, Jupiter, and Uranus as well.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they're really huge, nothing could possible survival at that gravity though.

*Scratches head*

Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune*

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Distances within our solar system are usually measured in SAstronomical Units. 1 AU =the istance from Earth to the Sun = 149 598 000 Km. According to Amelie Saintonge, our Solar System is 100,000 AU's across, making it 14, 959, 800, 000, 000 Km across, that is 14,959 Trillion Kilometres. 1 Lightyear is (3*10^5)*60*60*24*365.25 = 9.467 Trillion Km. 14,959/9.467 = 1,580 Lighyears. so 1900 isn't a bad effort!

Err... What?

If our solar system has a diameter above 5 light years, I'll eat me keyboard.

Alpha Centauri isn't even 4 light years away!

I was thinking the same thing. We launched something with a destination of "out of the solar system and beyond" in like the 1960's, I believe, and it was just a few years back that I read about it finally leaving the solar system. I want to say I read about it leaving the Galaxy, but that'd be far-fetched I think...I know we're on the end of the galaxy just about, but still. :P

40 years to get out of our solar system is a huge amount of time, but there's no way it would even be close to out of the solar system if the distance was that massive. We're almost at the middle of the solar system, so...

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

*Scratches head*

No, there's Saturn, Jupiter, and Uranus as well.

...Really. Huh...I thought Jupiter was solid for sure, aswell as Saturn...I had to think twice about Uranus, though.

Well what the hell. I need to go read up on gas planets, because, yea...I thought those were all solid. :lol: Like Jupiter has that big ole' dust storm on it and the like...I dunno'.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Distances within our solar system are usually measured in SAstronomical Units. 1 AU =the istance from Earth to the Sun = 149 598 000 Km. According to Amelie Saintonge, our Solar System is 100,000 AU's across, making it 14, 959, 800, 000, 000 Km across, that is 14,959 Trillion Kilometres. 1 Lightyear is (3*10^5)*60*60*24*365.25 = 9.467 Trillion Km. 14,959/9.467 = 1,580 Lighyears. so 1900 isn't a bad effort!

Err... What?

I was thinking the same thing. We launched something with a destination of "out of the solar system and beyond" in like the 1960's, I believe, and it was just a few years back that I read about it finally leaving the solar system. I want to say I read about it leaving the Galaxy, but that'd be far-fetched I think...I know we're on the end of the galaxy just about, but still. :P

40 years to get out of our solar system is a huge amount of time, but there's no way it would even be close to out of the solar system if the distance was that massive. We're almost at the middle of the solar system, so...

Again, it really depends on the definition of the solar system. Does it end at the farthest dwarf planet? The farthest planet? Pluto? Or the farthest celestial body orbiting the Sun?

*Snickers*

Uranus...

*Bursts out laughing*

:lol:

Err... What?

Again, it really depends on the definition of the solar system. Does it end at the farthest dwarf planet? The farthest planet? Pluto? Or the farthest celestial body orbiting the Sun?

*Snickers*

Uranus...

*Bursts out laughing*

:lol:

Uranus is renamed Urectum in 2620 (in an attempt to get rid of "that stupid joke" forever)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

So basicly, the Human race is pretty screwed either way; since the purpose of life is to contribute to the success of your species, there is no purpose to life. Everything we do will be undone. There is no difference whether we are alive or not. I'm going to go cry in a corner now...

:(

Thats soo depressing!!!! It dosnt matter wheter or not humans existed! The universe wouldnt care if we suddenly vanished!

Im going to cry in the opposite corner... :cry:

And yes, I did quote someone on the diameter of the solar system, I didn't use my own calculations :wink: I dont know what the official figure is, or where it is measured up to. It may be up to the Oort cloud, it may be the twice the diameter of Sednas farthest point from the sun, I don't really know. Anyone have any 'Official' data?

The thing about the Oort cloud is that its existance is entirely theoretical. We don't know whether there actually is an Oort cloud out there, much less how far it stretches. It could be anywhere from 50 000 AU to 100 000 AU depending on who you ask (I'd like to point out that counting the widest defined outer limit of the Oort cloud as the actual limit, actually leaves us with a diameter of *200* 000 AU).

Personally, I'm inclined to continue to define the solar system by the orbital bodies we have found, that are of a "decent" size. Dwarf planets are just fine, but when we start including insterstellar debris - theoretical debris at that - like "comet nuclei", it just gets silly.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

After reading every post in this thread...i've gave my self the worst head ache i've had in a long while.

Just think...if there are GIANT aliens out there....and i mean GIANT as in bigger than our earth (or almost)....then they will have ships that could plough through earth as if it was a little space rock. :ohnoes:

bunyip.png

They would also risk capuring small asteroids and space rock into their orbits and having their own moons :P They would also risk being cptured into orbit by a star or other large extra-terrestrial object.

Not likely!

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

After reading every post in this thread...i've gave my self the worst head ache i've had in a long while.

Just think...if there are GIANT aliens out there....and i mean GIANT as in bigger than our earth (or almost)....then they will have ships that could plough through earth as if it was a little space rock. :ohnoes:

Or play marbles with us and our solar system. :D

knkcopy.jpg

If the sun wasnt that huge there would be no gravity :-P

Er, what? What exactly does that hve to do with the price of fish?

We are kept with our feet firmly on terra firma because of the gravity of the Earth, not the Sun. In fact, everything has gravity - the higher the mass, the higher the gravitational field strength around the object. You may figure out the force of gravitational attraction between you and another object by the following equation:

F = G * (Mm/r^2)

F = Force of gravitational attraction

G = Universal gravitational constant = @ 6.673*10^-11

M = Mass of you

m = Mass of other object you are being attracted to (or vice versa)

r = the distance you are from the other object.

Bit of useless info for you!

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

They would also risk capuring small asteroids and space rock into their orbits and having their own moons :P They would also risk being cptured into orbit by a star or other large extra-terrestrial object.

Not likely!

They may have super ainti-gravity technology! Stopping tehm from been sucked in by huge suns.

Also they might have super invisible shield disintigrators that disintigrate anything that touches them!

............ :ohnoes:

bunyip.png

I agree, I mean what are the odds that we are THE only intelligent life form in the whole universe?? Then again it took us 10,000 years just to get a man on the nearst planetary body to us, the moon, mabye other races are as technologly stunted?
Our fault was the dark ages, when science could get you hung for hericy :uhh:

I agree, I mean what are the odds that we are THE only intelligent life form in the whole universe?? Then again it took us 10,000 years just to get a man on the nearst planetary body to us, the moon, mabye other races are as technologly stunted?

Think, how different would the world be in the year 2006 in the terms of development if, say, buddhism or islam was the main religion in Europe when great technological and astronomy/astrology related projects advanced in the dark ages?

Think, how different would the world be in the year 2006 in the terms of development if, say, buddhism or islam was the main religion in Europe when great technological and astronomy/astrology related projects advanced in the dark ages?

Yeah it's always interesting to think about how the world would be if we had those few hundred years of research back (from the dark ages). It does make you wonder if other races have even bothered with technology, or if they are simply not that advanced (or near our level in technology).