Earth really is pathetically small...

____

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've REMOTELY heard of Arcturus and how it kicks every other planets [wagon]. But that's just, wow.

Think if we lived on a planet the size of Antares with enough conditions for human life to exist, we wouldn't have any of these overpopulation problems really, even with a trillion people...

Venus looks like a potato. :-k

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Wait, Betelgeuse exists? Does Betelgeuse Five exist? :P You'd know what I'm talking about if you've read/watched the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

And OBAFGKM.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

betelguese and such are only that big because they are red giants

..That made no sense..

What he means is, they were once much smaller. They have reached their current size because they are in the red giant stage of their life.

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

..That made no sense..

What he means is, they were once much smaller. They have reached their current size because they are in the red giant stage of their life.

I believe the term is supergiant. I am almost sure. We learned about all this stuff last year in science. Quite interesting, possibly one of the most interesting fields of science (astronomy) only because there is so much that is yet to be discovered.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Indeed, I don't believe most people understand how massive the Universe even is.

Like, according to the Big Bang theory, which could be false, of course, the Universe has been moving for 14.5 billion years at the speed of light...Do the math on that distance. :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Jep, that's pretty big. But as the girls say, size doesn't matter. :')

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Jep, that's pretty big. But as the girls say, size doesn't matter. :')

Really? They say that? :-s

Yeah, but they never mean it.

Think of how big humans are compared to the Earth, then look at all those again. We are really, really, really small :P .

You can get good, high quality images of space a lot of places, but this is one of my favourites: 2MASS Showcase. Look at the first picture, the picture of the Milky Way, how many stars are in it. Then look at the next picture, which is of the local universe. Everything you saw in the first picture is one dot on the second image :shock: .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

With something that large, the gravity would smoosh us pretty well. If a star like Antares imploded, that would be pretty amazing.

we'd most likely be dead..

we have all done this before

one time i woke up sleeping under my bed with a jello and a spoon lol :ohnoes:

Barrow Items: 31

Le MTA vous poss̮̬̉̉de baiseur de m̮̬̉̉re

There's such a thing as blue giants, and even yellow giants, and even dwarf stars can get, to a point, pretty big.

I remember this picture of the universe, it showed our galaxy, our local group, the major group, and that was a pixel of a ray. That was then the pixel of an even larger ray. Which was a pixel of the universe.

Want to astound/perplex your mind, just think about this. Even though the galaxies in those pictures are gone and new ones have replaced them by now. At this very moment there's stars imploding, protoplanets forming. And uncountable number of solar flares, an uncountable number of storms and winds on an uncountable number of planets. Comments hitting planets and moons at every second of every day. Galaxies swirling, stars moving. And all this happens every single day, and has for what scientists predict to be around 13 billion years. I think it's a longer time, but it's still unimaginable.

I like this site. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.