Earth really is pathetically small...

____

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting about the 2nd largest star pictured in the first post, Betelgeuse:

Astronomers predict that Betelgeuse will ultimately undergo a type II supernova explosion. Betelgeuse would brighten at least 10,000 times as a supernova, causing it to shine with the luminosity of a full Moon (mv = -12.5). This would likely last for several months. It would look like a brilliant point, the brightness of a full Moon with the color of an incandescent bulb at night, and easily visible in daylight.

After that period it would gradually diminish until after some months or years it would disappear from naked eye view. Then Orion's left shoulder would vanish forever.

supernova.jpg

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

This is interesting about the 2nd largest star pictured in the first post, Betelgeuse:

Astronomers predict that Betelgeuse will ultimately undergo a type II supernova explosion. Betelgeuse would brighten at least 10,000 times as a supernova, causing it to shine with the luminosity of a full Moon (mv = -12.5). This would likely last for several months. It would look like a brilliant point, the brightness of a full Moon with the color of an incandescent bulb at night, and easily visible in daylight.

After that period it would gradually diminish until after some months or years it would disappear from naked eye view. Then Orion's left shoulder would vanish forever.

supernova.jpg

soooo... any word on when? :D

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Oh and Popular Science now believes there is more then one universe. Several in fact. They predict there are actually around 10^500 universies just as big or bigger then ours. And they all have their own laws of physics.

That isn't a universe then... "Universe" itself literally means "all turned into one" - notice the "uni" part. By definition there can only be one universe.

That isn't to say that parallels wouldn't be possible, as that's the same universe.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Oh and Popular Science now believes there is more then one universe. Several in fact. They predict there are actually around 10^500 universies just as big or bigger then ours. And they all have their own laws of physics.

That isn't a universe then... "Universe" itself literally means "all turned into one" - notice the "uni" part. By definition there can only be one universe.

That isn't to say that parallels wouldn't be possible, as that's the same universe.

Most likley we made a mistake in naming it the 'Universe'. Are new discovery can't be denied just because we misnamed something years ago.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I asked my physics professor the same question. He said "everything" is now called "The multiverse" or something like that.

However 'universe' will still by used for pretty much everything since, like stated before, the other universes don't follow the same rules of phyics, so there is no need to mention them.

- - - -

supernova.jpg

soooo... any word on when? :D

Between now and the year 2800. ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s actually not that long in astronomical terms....

*goes outside and looks up... waits*

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

It doesn't mean the discovery would be denied... It would just mean that you can't call the other thing a universe... :roll:

Substitute universe for its literal meaning:

"This is everything existence. Oh, and this new thing we discovered, that is a separate everything in existence".

The 1 question everyone still wants to know....

Is there really other life out there? And if so will we ever come to the point in time where we could communicat with them?

I believe so, but not so much on the communcate part. US is srewed up right now and might not care/live to do that.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

holy crap :shock: :shock: :shock: so large so vast :shock: :shock: it is crazy :anxious: this might prove that (Area 51 is real and they have aliens there :-$ dont tell them thought they might find us) it is creepy

The Following Animals Are Communist

1. The Ant

2. The Cockroach

3. The Rabbit

4. The Eloi

5. The Mouse

6. The Penguin

7. The Smurfs

Hail the Victorious Red State!

It doesn't mean the discovery would be denied... It would just mean that you can't call the other thing a universe... :roll:

Substitute universe for its literal meaning:

"This is everything existence. Oh, and this new thing we discovered, that is a separate everything in existence".

And the literal meaning of the word 'atom' comes pretty close to "indivisible". Doesn't mean anything. A universe is what it's always been, and the sum of all the theoretical universes is the multiverse.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

Wait, Betelgeuse exists? Does Betelgeuse Five exist? :P You'd know what I'm talking about if you've read/watched the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

And OBAFGKM.

+1

circular5bf.png

eddieperfect - (Unjustly) Banned 06.06

eddieperfekt - Created 05.11.06

Prankster_King - "ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s just click after click after click."

321184224778sn1.png

And the literal meaning of the word 'atom' comes pretty close to "indivisible". Doesn't mean anything.

Just because that one is wrong too doesn't make calling a new discovery another universe literally right.

Just because that one is wrong too doesn't make calling a new discovery another universe literally right.

No, but it aptly illustrates that the literal meaning of an object - be it a building block of matter known as the atom, or the sum of the space-time continuum we call the universe - has no meaning in the actual sense. The universe is still the universe; The entire space-time continuum, as defined. Postulating the existance of something outside "our" space-time continuum, depending on your multiverse theory of choice, doesn't alter the definition of the universe we live in.

-This message was deviously brought to you by: mischief1at.gif

• 3 weeks later...
I've REMOTELY heard of Arcturus and how it kicks every other planets [bleep]. But that's just, wow.

Think if we lived on a planet the size of Antares with enough conditions for human life to exist, we wouldn't have any of these overpopulation problems really, even with a trillion people...

yes but the gravity would be so strong we would be absolutely crushed. End of human existence. Earth is one of the very suitable planets for life.

A planet cannot be too big, too small, too hot or too cold. Otheriwse life will die. Scientists have found a planet that fits the size borderline, but they do not know about the atmosphere etc.

Earth is small compared to some things but large to other things, (like pluto or the moon). Think of atares, compared to he universe it is as big as an atom.

I've REMOTELY heard of Arcturus and how it kicks every other planets [bleep]. But that's just, wow.

Think if we lived on a planet the size of Antares with enough conditions for human life to exist, we wouldn't have any of these overpopulation problems really, even with a trillion people...

yes but the gravity would be so strong we would be absolutely crushed. End of human existence. Earth is one of the very suitable planets for life.

A planet cannot be too big, too small, too hot or too cold. Otheriwse life will die. Scientists have found a planet that fits the size borderline, but they do not know about the atmosphere etc.

Earth is small compared to some things but large to other things, (like pluto or the moon). Think of atares, compared to he universe it is as big as an atom.

Just because us humans can't live somewhere, doesn't mean there can't be life there.

If that video that showed all those galaxies in that empty space, that one empty space that seemed like nothing, could have 9,000,000,000,000,000 (Nine Quadrillion I believe) planets just like ours considering each star had 9 planets orbiting around it like our Sun.

That many planets just like ours in that space that seemed like nothing.

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

If that video that showed all those galaxies in that empty space, that one empty space that seemed like nothing, could have 9,000,000,000,000,000 (Nine Quadrillion I believe) planets just like ours considering each star had 9 planets orbiting around it like our Sun.

That many planets just like ours in that space that seemed like nothing.

If that math is based off a trillion stars per galaxy, than yes, it could be so.

What is amazing, is we can see a galaxy 450 million lightyears away, that's out of the bounds of our supercluster.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

And sense that many planets could possibly be in that one empty part of space, there is at least like what? That many planets times a number that would go down this page for years.

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

Space really is an amazing thing isn't it?

Favorite subject in the entire world. Although I know pretty much nothing about it. Buts its fascinating.

cyco_1.jpg