Deleting Accounts--GOOD OR BAD? (NEW AND IMPROVED IDEA!)

Gandorf61

:!: NEW AND IMPROVED IDEA :!:

Ever try to get a username for a second, or even third account but they always have numbers after the name? Hate It? :x Ya most people do but there is a way we can change that, its called deleting low level accounts.

What: DELETE ALL LOW LEVEL ACCOUNTS

Why: To free up space for jagex (memory)/free up many usernames/get rid of all unused accounts.

Requirements/How this Works: All accounts that have been inactive for aprox. 18 months (1 year and a half) and have an overall level of 150 or lower or have a combat level of 20 or lower would be deleted

By doing this it will not only free up space for jagex to make more updates (such as more bankspace for F2P) it will also allow you to have a better choice for usernames if you ever are making a new account.

Now most of you will have reasons for not wanting to have this so I have posted a list of ways to fix your complaints/problems:

I dont want my account level 50 account to be deleted!

Most people who have an account are usually over level 20 (combat) so there account wouldn't be deleted and if not it would take a year and a half before it would get deleted.

What about Pure Skillers?

Most pure skillers are usually have a combat level of 151 or more because they usually train 2 or more skills on there pure account and every account starts with a overall level of 22 and by the end of Tutorial Island most accounts have an overall level of at least 30 which means if they work on only two of their skills ex. mining and smithing they would only have to get up both of those skills to 60 and 61 and there account would be safe. Because getting that level only takes about 50 hours or less of playing runescape.

What about Auto-Miners?

Most auto miners do not sadly :( take a break from autoing on runescape so they would not likely be defeated unless someone reports them.

What will happen to all the pkers?

I don't think it would effect them very much because most pkers are level 30 or higher in combat and the prices of food/weapons might go change a little but other than that nothing will really change for them. I mean the prices wouldn't drop dramaticly for lobsters and other foods because there will still be many other pkers out ther that wouldn't be deleted.

What about members and there accounts?

Most people who are currently a member usually don't dedide to take a year and a half break while they are apying but afterwards many do so. To prevent their accounts from being deleted Jagex could make it so P2P (members) won't get deleted no matter what their level is.

What about money pures?

How many money pures do you know in the game that are level 3's? Probably less than 200. And how do they get the money by either Merchanting/Scamming/GETTING THEIR LEVEL UP! And anyways why do the make a second account to make it a money pure? So they can give it to their main account or so they can scam people because they don't care if they get banned on that account. Even if they didn't give it to a main account what use would they have for it they wouldn't be able to buy anything they could use on it becasue they would need a highter level which means if they did they wouldn't get deleted. ::'

What about if you take a break because of family, school, work etc?

Most people would have a high level account so they wouldn't get deleted and if it was a low level account they could easily make a new one because it would take less than a week to get their status' back.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

READ THIS PART BEFORE DECIDING YES OR NO IT MAY CHANGE YOUR MIND!

Now many people are saying "OH it wouldn't free up any space and if it did it would be nothing.

Well lets put it this way:

-There are about 10+ million and counting runescape accounts today

-About 800,000 of those accounts are currently members this year

-About 4.2 million F2P accounts are used on a regular bases (Once a week)

-About 3 million accounts over level 20 are not used at least once a month.(F2P and P2P)

-About 2 million accounts have a combat level under 20 and are not used at least once a month.

About 2 MILLION ACCOUNTS are not used at least once a month and are under level 20 that is about 1/5 of the entire population of characters in Runescape.

Now lets say each character takes aprox. 1MB of space in the JAGEX database. 1MB X 2 000 000=2 000 000MB. Which in Gigabites is holy! :shock: 2,000GB Which is being WASTED

These precious gigabites could be used for more quests, bank space, updates, and more!

Now this is a little bit off topic but lets say F2P wanted 10 more BANK SPACES and each bank space took 2kb (which is probably a little less than what it actually is) 2kb X 10=20kb per a person.

4 200 000 X 20kb = 84 000 000kb, 84 000MB, 84GB! :o Thats hardly anything compared to the 2,000GB they could save by deleting all those low level accounts.

Now if you still do no support this idea you had better come up with good reason why. :notalk:

Resources:

THIS IS A LINK TO A POST BY ARTCRAZY

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=517022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=540

THIS IS A LINK TO A TIP IT TIMES POST (Is there a "For Sale" sign in the near future for jagex?)

http://tip.it/runescape/?times=64

I support the MORE BANKSPACE FOR F2P IDEA. This is what made me come up with this idea. :mrgreen: CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE BANK SPACE PAGE: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=517022&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

All numbers are approximate but are fairly close to the actual numbers. I have used various resources, these are just the ones used on this site. Other resources will no be released please do not ask for them. :-#

PS: Also think about all the accounts that were made during the 2006 Tip.it Halloween Event for the zombie event? Not that it was a bad thing, just how many people will actually use those accounts after the event, not very many because they already have a main account.

MAybe about half a year (6 months)?... and the requirements are a bit too low... It should be: Delete accts with combat lvls lower than 20 and total lower than 200 if it is not logged in within half a year. Those combat below lvl 40 and has got a total of less than 300 will be deleted within a year and a half if left untouched. Those combat below 60 will be deleted if left untouched for 2 years. players lvl 61 and above will not have their accts deleted and will be able to change their username for a huge sum of 5.000.000 (5million) gp.

drapit.png

what gonna do with pure skillers?? they dont have to be auto so they can lose their account to on this way..

dibujillole3.png

^click to visit my blog! And if u got some spare hammers for my collection, i will always take them just pm me :)

5743th with cooking 99!--8 november 2006--

16361st with str 99! --15 april 2007--

35000th with Attack 99! --20 June 2008--

29524th with Hitpoints 99! --3 August 2008--

Players lvl 61 and above will not have their accts deleted and will be able to change their username for a huge sum of 5.000.000 (5million) gp.

I like the idea of being able to change usernames, but I don't think it should be charged GP. Maybe make it members only?

Seminiferous Tubule.

i dont want to get my lvl 3 accs deleted...

and there are money pures... (lvl 3 with 400mil+)

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

This is a BAD idea. Some people that actually have jobs, families, school, etc. might play for a few days, then rl get in the way, and come back a year later. I do that all the time to other games. This is rediculous. I definately do not support.

i'm not gonna comment on this because i fear the flames may go out of control. So i'm just gonna answer the question of your title.

no.

I"m srry if i seemed a lil harsh, but deleting accounts isn't fair to anyone, no matter what the circumstance, i jsut find it pointless and cruel to people. A month is an incredibly short amount of time. I remember i died and didn't play for a month, then came back. How would i feel if my work was gone? You could increase this to a year or 5 and i would still disagree, its just NOT FAIR to people. Your assumption on that would give us more space for updates is wrong, # of players aren't the main factor in that.

I totally disagree with this as when I first started playing the game I found it boring and played it for about 2 months before dropping it for about a year but now i have started playing again and cant stop playing. If this idea had been introduced before I would have lost th elevels that I had put two months into getting and would have had to start again which probably would have discouraged me even more to continue playing.

aaron+e4.png

Finaly I can wield drag weapons.

I'd have to say this is a bad idea. It would free up space, yes, but I don't like the idea of losing a lot of characters.

Many people take extended breaks from the game - in fact, most do. Runescape tends to work in cycles like that. If it was 2 years at least and anyone under 100, maybe.

I also would hate to lose some of the last 3-letter names.

no.

because what about pkers?

that will RUIN the runescape wilderness econemy, also the prices of lobsters will drop dramaticly. so the only type of pking is probably main pking.

but there might me some rangers with 50 ranged+ 40 fish 40 cooking and so on.. but what are the chances of that!

Ok I get what most of you are saying on how you wouldn't want your accounts deleted so I came up with a couple of ways to make this idea better. Here they are Complaints then answers:

what gonna do with pure skillers?? they dont have to be auto so they can lose their account to on this way..

What if you made it so your overall level had to be under 50 and combat level under 10 for your account to be deleted. By doing it this way hardly anyones pure skill account will get deleted because most pure skillers have an overall level of over 50.

How many money pures do you really thnk are level 3? Probably less than 200. And most money pures, how do they get the money? By scamming of course. I don't know how many level three acounts I see having quite a bit of money when I am trading them and only then they try to scam me. But Fail :thumbsup: Also how do they get the money? By leveling up one type of skilsuch as rune crafting, mining, smithing etc. So if their overall levels were over 50 they wouldn't get deleted.. Next!

This is a BAD idea. Some people that actually have jobs, families, school, etc. might play for a few days, then rl get in the way, and come back a year later. I do that all the time to other games. This is rediculous. I definately do not support.

Good point. What if the date was to be extended to 12months or a year? Most people I think do take a break for a month or to, but longer than a year? Usually not.

i'm not gonna comment on this because i fear the flames may go out of control. So i'm just gonna answer the question of your title.

no.

I"m srry if i seemed a lil harsh, but deleting accounts isn't fair to anyone, no matter what the circumstance, i jsut find it pointless and cruel to people. A month is an incredibly short amount of time. I remember i died and didn't play for a month, then came back. How would i feel if my work was gone? You could increase this to a year or 5 and i would still disagree, its just NOT FAIR to people. Your assumption on that would give us more space for updates is wrong, # of players aren't the main factor in that.

Actually You are slightly wrong about the space. Each player takes up about 5kb of space with room for updates and more. Now imagine if 100 lvl 3 combat lvl 49 and under overall got deleted thats 1mb more space which jagex could use to make ore updates for members and possibly non-members. Another factor is how many people actually remember their usernames, passwords, and bank pins after a year or two. Theres also the factor of recovery questions, what if you can't remember the answers, or didn't make some? Your screwed thats what happens. And then space is taken up for an account thats never going to be used again. But seriously how many accounts have you made and just how many of them do you still use. I know for one I have made an account I never use because I have a main account thats better.

no.

because what about pkers?

that will RUIN the runescape wilderness econemy, also the prices of lobsters will drop dramaticly. so the only type of pking is probably main pking.

but there might me some rangers with 50 ranged+ 40 fish 40 cooking and so on.. but what are the chances of that!

I don't get exactly what you are saying post back and explain.

If you still don't like the idea well then you don't your entitled to your opinion and so am I. I think that any accounts with their overall level being 50 and under that are not used within 12-14 months don't need to exist. Thats all I have to say so consider it. :notalk:

Also accounts that have subscibed for members (P2P) will not be deleted whether they are still a member or not still.

I agree that there are alot of dead accounts floating around that take up valuable memory space. The best thing Jagex could do is delete accounts that haven't been active for a yearand a half. I don't think the level matters very much. There are alot of level 50+ accounts that are dead as well. That is most likely caused by people becoming bored with Runescape, or finding another game to play.

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

userbarunorbv1.png

[bleep], my parrot has better grammar than you.

{Author of Tip.It Times article}{Founder of the F2P Bankspace Campaign}{Interviewed for the Gielinor Tribune}{F2P Bankspace was ACHIEVED!}

I agree with the concept of deleting unused accounts, and I am surprised that Jagex don't. Their database must be enormous by now and if I were the administrator of the Jagex database it would have been cleared out ages ago. I would delete any account that has not been accessed in 1 year, irregardless of levels.

If this was carried out Jagex could, in all probability, double existing bank space and still use less storage space.

I didn't play for roughly four years, August 2002 to August 2006 or something. If I came back and found my account deleted, I'd be going nuts.

Although I do think it could be cleaned up, so basically I'd say you'd have to have not logged on for years and have a skill total under 100 or something.

Alas, if that was the case, and somebody did want to come back after several years to play their character again, if they only had skills under 15, they could easily just re-work that with a new character.

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me at all.

-GregEchidna

Third player in RuneScape to 99 attack, strength, defense and hitpoints.

Ok I get what most of you are saying on how you wouldn't want your accounts deleted so I came up with a couple of ways to make this idea better. Here they are Complaints then answers:

How many money pures do you really thnk are level 3? Probably less than 200. And most money pures, how do they get the money? By scamming of course. I don't know how many level three acounts I see having quite a bit of money when I am trading them and only then they try to scam me. But Fail :thumbsup: Also how do they get the money? By leveling up one type of skilsuch as rune crafting, mining, smithing etc. So if their overall levels were over 50 they wouldn't get deleted.. Next!

Good point. What if the date was to be extended to 12months or a year? Most people I think do take a break for a month or to, but longer than a year? Usually not.

no.

Actually You are slightly wrong about the space. Each player takes up about 5kb of space with room for updates and more. Now imagine if 100 lvl 3 combat lvl 49 and under overall got deleted thats 1mb more space which jagex could use to make ore updates for members and possibly non-members. Another factor is how many people actually remember their usernames, passwords, and bank pins after a year or two. Theres also the factor of recovery questions, what if you can't remember the answers, or didn't make some? Your screwed thats what happens. And then space is taken up for an account thats never going to be used again. But seriously how many accounts have you made and just how many of them do you still use. I know for one I have made an account I never use because I have a main account thats better.

1st. There's something called merchanting, its a money making technique that doesn't raise skill total but a very good and effective way of making money. Ever heard of it?

2nd. Just to answer, none... i don't have any accounts that i don't play on. It's seriously not that big of a deal...if it was then jagex would've done something about it already.

Ya Ive heard of Merchanting, and I do it quite a bit on my lvl 53 acount! But why do people make a brand new account just for merchanting? Why don't they just do it on their main account where they can actually use the monet for armours weapons and other stuff. I mean what use does a lvl 3 have for a couple million in cash, they can't use it much can they? :roll: And most of the times what they will do is make a bunch of cash on their lvl 3 account log on to their second computer and give it to their main account, I mean what is the point of that. :notalk:

Also the only reason jagex doesn't do anything about it is because no one suggests it to them. How many of you actually think jagex reads their messages you send them other than if its a bug/virus in the game. Ive sent them about 5 suggestions and what do I get in return? A message saying "Thanks for your suggestions" Everytime!

I think it's acceptable. This way autoers would be defeated, and the wilderness wouldn't be flooded by pures who seem to ruin it for others.

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

i don't get why people are saying it would get rid of autoers, it would only delete accounts that hadn't been used within a month/6 months/a year/5 years. so if the guy who owned the autoer decided to stop using one of his auto accounts for a month it would get deleted. but why would he do that?

Piscis_Rex.png

99.99999998465% of the world's population is not me, if you are the 0.00000001535% that is me, put this in you signature

-"being famous is like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't"