How I lost my items - by scamming, dying and others

Forum_User

Some guy I don't know and PMs me asks if I have a (worthless item I knew nothing about) to sell to him for 4.2m. Then a different guy randomly trades with me and offers that item. I show 800k in items for some reason. Then I decline and think it is a scam. After talking to the guy who PMed me, I think that it might not be a scam. I don't know how, but I talked myself into thinking it wasn't a scam (this is the first time I have ever fallen for a scam).

Well i eventually make the trade, and both guys log out (put me on ignore list probably). Well now I feel like an idiot since I realized the item was barely worth 15k. I still don't know why I did it. I will not mention the item because it will make me look like a fool. I should have known what it was. :wall:

Hey, if you're talking about a cactus potato or whatever it's called, then I think I saw the same 2 guys when these 2 guys came up to me and tried that on me, but luckily, I'm friends with Lord Rodyle0 in real life and we were on the phone together, and him, knowing all about Runescape (even though I've been playing longer :roll: ) told me it's not even worth 100gp let alone 4mil and that is was in KQ's lair. Back then, I wasn't even level 80, probably around mid 70's, so I hadn't known better, but I would've probably fallen for it if it weren't for Jimmy (Lord Rodyle0). :thumbsup:

I suggest when people try that, Just ignore them and don't reply. I neevr do unless I know the item, and get my price I want for it.

1/= '/0(_) C4/\/ R34D 7H15 7H3/\/ '/0(_) J(_)57 G07 />\/\//\/7!!!!!!!!!!

http://sig.runeweb.net/sig/12/Mortifyer1.png

Mortifyer1.png

i was sellin a easter egg and this dude offered sick deal so im about to click egg he declines i eat the egg im cursing seeing as ive just lost a few mill

The reason you should always note easters and pumpkins. There are some mean people out there. <.<

Tyrrell9.gif

I have been successfully scammed twice.

Once, I was still quite new, I was buying 300 D Bones (When they were considered cheap at 2k each).

Offered my 600k, checked the bones, and it was good, but sometimes in World 2, I get bad lag from the overloaded server, and I was lagging horribly. I hit accept, and it didn't work, so I hit it like 3 times and never saw the second screen. He had switched for Big Bones. I lost over 500k, which was a LOT for me back then.

------------

The second time was much worse, and man, I was so mad because I was NOT a noob, and I felt like such an idiot.

I was considering buying my first whip, and I noticed a guy buying one for 2.2m. I was like wow, I could buy one and make a profit before getting one to keep.

So I bought one for 1.8m and traded the guy. He offers a warrior ring, which, I was not familliar with at the time, but I knew the zerker ring was like 2m. Still I declined, I don't trade for items I don't know the worth of, and I didn't want to waste my time merchanting.

Until I saw someone in the bank, buying a warriors ring for 2.3m. So I was like, okay. I traded him and went to trade the ring buyer, he declines.

I then realized it was a two person scam, and I reported the one I traded.

I lost 1.4 million. At that time, It was a huge blow for me, all I had.

------------

Other Scams I have seen but not fallen for?

F2P'ers who sell or buy rune, love to take away their offer and try and give you nothing before the second screen, such a noob scam, you have to be very stupid or very careless to fall for that.

I have had the noted iron/noted rune switch thing happen a few times, again, if you are paying attention, it's not much of a problem.

I had a guy pm me to sell me 10 crystal keys, so I went to Edge bank to trade him, he was like, I'm alching and watching PK'ers. I said "Bank, or forget it buddy." He goes "What? I'm too high combat to attack you." I told him the bank wasn't that far, and I wasn't moving. He blocked me, lol.

I've had people ask me to attack them in the wildy with nothing but my whip equipped. LMAO!

Probably more lame attempts I can't remember. Most scammers are such noobs. <.<

aerynae.png

aerynae.png

aerynae.png

:: Saradomin Girl :: 278/324 Quest Points :: Tip.It Blog ::

i had bought my new blk g for 300k. after days of cowhides (yes i said cowhides). then a lvl 3 name 0 o 00 o 00 (that wasn't the actual name) came up to me and said "ill buy you blk g for 500k". my heart was racing im like omg deal!!! i trade him and when i look at my inv afterwards i saw 40k. that took me soooo long to get!

lol generally people with names that are hard to report are like that. I was so happy when Jagex turned zeros into zeros with slashes through. it helps tons..

4t9nek4.jpg4t8yiv6.png

gleeper_owns.png

okay well I wasn`t scammed.. almost hacked. I guess you could say it was a scam in progress..?

A guy on RuneScape tells me to add him on MSN because he was selling an account, (which I wanted to report him for) and I logged on msn. We`re talking and he laughs and says "look at this, it`s funny". He attempts to send me "Picturedotexe". I laughed at him because I`m not an idiot.. pictures aren`t exe files. (they`re .bmp, jpg, gif, etc..) I start yelling at him and ranting about him being a lame idiot for sending me some type of virus or keylogger. He tells me it`s a "server", which actually made me laugh so hard I cried.. I told him I deal with servers every day in my networking class, so he got mad and blocked me.

If you`ve gone further talking to people in RuneScape, such as through AIM or MSN, (although you shouldn`t) don`t fall for something like this.

The idiocy..

4t9nek4.jpg4t8yiv6.png

gleeper_owns.png

Just got my first 300k (pure at the time) and so i went to get 43 pyr and the dude switch the big bones for small ones. I know it sounds like i was a idiot, but well i was a idiot at that moment.

pan.png

when whips dropped from 1.7m to 1.6m i ran into some guy saying ' I buy whip 1711k'. So first time i put in whip, he puts 1711k, clicks accept, but then decline. I'm like what the heck?! he says: "Lagged wtf :S" So we trade again, and of course i'm thinking he puts 1711k again, so i accept two times (too fast). when i look in inventory i see 1171k :S 550k gone :(

The Ultimate Green Dragon Guide

Don't hate me, just let me ride.

Lord, just give me life.

Back in the days when I didn't bother checking the second trade window, I fell for the magics/willows scam. I was having a bank sale with D med, obby cape and a few runes and other things. Worth about 700k at the time. This guy trades me and offers 100k, Rune hally and 777 magics for it. That is about 250k more than its worth. I think hey thats great and hurridly click accept. He declines, we set the same trade up again, he declines again. I'm pretty anoyed by now, and I'm clicking the accept button as quick as i can. The 4th time we set up the trade, he accepts it. I look in my invent and see the 777 mages had been switched to willows, and the 100k for 100gp. 600k gone. Atleast I can hally blue drags :shock:

sig-3.jpg

jenkees2.png

jenkees2.png

I ALMOST fell for this one. Was selling my 3rd age mageset for around 80m and a guy offered 400k willows, quickly going up to around 600k willows which he claimed to be 20-30ea- so at least 120m.

Lucky thing there are calculators. He offered 12-15m.

I ALMOST fell for this one. Was selling my 3rd age mageset for around 80m and a guy offered 400k willows, quickly going up to around 600k willows which he claimed to be 20-30ea- so at least 120m.

And selling stuff overprice isnt scamming. It is rude and incosiderate, but not scamming. Sorry if anyone fell for something like this, but they are allowed to sell 1 goblin mail for 100mil if they want. Just proof that you should always check prices lolz. And, uh, 400K willows for 20 ea would be 80 mil.

Thanks,

Bettola2

I forgot I was absent-minded

I was selling 2000 cowhides for 20k. This guy trades me, he offers 20k and then he declines. He says it was lag. He does it 3 more times. Next, he put up 20k. I put up the cowhides. He turns it to 2k. On the second trade screen, I noticed right after I pressed accept. However, it was too late. He accepted also and logged off. I only lost 18k...That was the only time I've ever been scammed.

My F2P Moneymaking Guide!

Always gargle before a takeoff. Wakka Wakka!

And selling stuff overprice isnt scamming. It is rude and incosiderate, but not scamming. Sorry if anyone fell for something like this, but they are allowed to sell 1 goblin mail for 100mil if they want. Just proof that you should always check prices lolz. And, uh, 400K willows for 20 ea would be 80 mil.

Thanks,

Bettola2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 400K*2=800K, 800K*10=8M=400K*20!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this whole darn place full of Maths-less people? =P~

2077089531_93b87b9d10.jpg

You're being watched.

"Congrats! You have been selected to become a RuneScape moderator!"

"Really awesome!"

"This automated process will take you through the registration process. Please press 1 now to accept our invite to become a mod, or press 2 now to decline our offer."

"1"

"Thank you, now we need you to confirm a quick privacy statement. For the registration process we need your password, account name, and real name. This information will never leave Jagex. Press 1 to accept, press 2 to decline."

"1"

"Thank you, please enter your account name now."

"*******"

"Thank you, please enter your password now."

"*************"

"Thank you, please enter your real name now."

"*******"

"Thank you, please give us a moment as we confirm this data."

"Ok..."

"We have confirmed your data, we must ask you to log off your RuneScape account and log back on for your account status to be updated."

"-logs off-"

In the meantime the so called "Confrimation103" bot person was actually changing the password, so when my friend logged out, he couldnt get back on. The person then logged on, took 1 mil and the rest of his stuff, and made the pass normal again.

"Stupid is smart you dumb n00b." - noob in lumbridge

I was helping my f2p (who was p2p at the time) sister with smithing stuff, since she hadn't been on in a while, and a guy says he knows a place where there are tons of rune scimitars on the ground. I don't realize, but I expect a trap. What the hey, I set it anyway. My sister is robbed of a blurite sword (I made her make more anyway for these occasions! :D ) and lost most of her other items... :cry: I felt so bad. She was lured into the giant mole cave. She gave the scammer her tinderbox and extinguished her lantern. Needless to say, the bugs took care of her. That can now be reported, and you can't extinguish a light source when you need it.

I learned not to fall for that anymore, and I still regret my foolishness. She thought is was a trap, and she's younger than me! Argh!

You have no idea how powerful words are....until they hit you in the head.

I got the Tribesman trick too. Right after the Karamja Journal comes out, two guys tell me that I can get good stuff from the tribesmen. What they don't say is that they poison for 11 hp each time. With literally 2 seconds left to save myself, I die. What I have left: dds, rune pl8body, rune pl8legs. That was not nice.

You have no idea how powerful words are....until they hit you in the head.

i fell for the willows logs scam OMG slaps himself my green mask for 3m and 100k willows i thought it was 20 yes ok slap me here so i accepted :P now i'm slapping myself all over the head all my cash gone :o slaps himself evne more lost 12m my worst eva deal I'M MATHLESS! misread zeros:P

I was selling 2000 cowhides for 20k. This guy trades me, he offers 20k and then he declines. He says it was lag. He does it 3 more times. Next, he put up 20k. I put up the cowhides. He turns it to 2k. On the second trade screen, I noticed right after I pressed accept. However, it was too late. He accepted also and logged off. I only lost 18k...That was the only time I've ever been scammed.

2k cowhides worth 200k...you lost over 100k son...

"Stupid is smart you dumb n00b." - noob in lumbridge

Ive been scammed before when i was starting to play and a cupple recentally, one was a cupple months ago i was buying yew logs to get fletch up, it was early morning and the sun was very bright, i could barley see the screen i went to buy 5k yews a lvl 3 with a name somehting like 1223nnbh2 traded me and offerd 5k yews i offerd cash didnt see she switched to willow logs, i only like 400k :)

the rest were from when i was f2p, i cant remember back that far, they were all dumb cheap scams anyways

plus ive never been lured :D

skatrider234.png

i got scammed 300k, full rune, 1k fire, and willow comp. the guy had payed great money for some other stuff i had when he said "spendin 1mil" and i jumped at the chance to get 1 mil, then when we were trading he changed the 1mil to 10k and i was in a busy world so i couldn't find him or his name to report him.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles-Hamlet