Reasoning behind Low-Level Skillers

Lunar_Drifter

Ahh... the good ol' days. Having to walk everywhere, running from the big bad bears and unicorns. The memories of a newb, no?

But, many people make a side-character, or even dump their "main" altogether to play as a low level. They usually include non-combat skills in the setup, and it's referred to as a "Skiller". All of you should know this by now.

But the question is: Why? Why would you want to go from being able to one-hit kill things, walk into any territory unhindered, teleport wherever you need, to having to walk everywhere? To having to eat like a madman (or woman) whilst running away from wizards south of Varrock? To resort to saying "Oh! I could do that... if I had combat stats!"

I'll keep my personal opinions out of this for the time being to let the debate go on with your ideas, not mine. So...

GET DEBATING!

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A low level skiller is basically pointless in my opinion, with one exception: f2p mining. I can see the logic in a pure miner (avoid pkers in the wild if mining rune ore), but why a pure woodcutter, fisher, fletcher, etc?

If I had a skiller I would rather throw all the free experience points gained into my main account to increase its own levels.

I don't know about other people, but I did it to get a fresh start. To walk around lumbride dreaming of having full steel again. To work for pick axe to go mine some iron, and not just lazily pull out 35k out of your couple million to get a rune pickaxe quickly.

"It's the journey not the end"

-unknown

redbullsigortiz.jpg

There are some advantages to having a low level (mining rune in deep wildy, for example). But other than that, I don't understand why you'd dump a main to train other skills on a new character, when you could have just had those experience points on your main.

GUYS, make the post not just agreeing.

I like the path of skiller, it shows how good you can be without combat. And it shows combat doesn't mean levels. How you can manage without killing stuff!

If anyone remembers me... PM ME. having nostaligia issues D:

There are some advantages to having a low level (mining rune in deep wildy, for example). But other than that, I don't understand why you'd dump a main to train other skills on a new character, when you could have just had those experience points on your main.

A low level skiller is basically pointless in my opinion, with one exception: f2p mining. I can see the logic in a pure miner (avoid pkers in the wild if mining rune ore), but why a pure woodcutter, fisher, fletcher, etc?

If I had a skiller I would rather throw all the free experience points gained into my main account to increase its own levels.

I like how we share the same views. 8-)

I like how we share the same views. 8-)

That was odd, our posts were almost the same thing, haha. :uhh:

I don't know about other people, but I did it to get a fresh start. To walk around lumbride dreaming of having full steel again. To work for pick axe to go mine some iron, and not just lazily pull out 35k out of your couple million to get a rune pickaxe quickly.

"It's the journey not the end"

-unknown

You can't go back to revisit a game like a new player -- fact. The fact is, you can make all the characters you want and none of them will be able to "rekindle the flame of intrest" that you had in the game as a newbie. You say its so you can dream of having full steel again, when in reality you know tons of ways already how to make money.

I've always figured that a pure skiller was simply someone who felt like doing something 'different' than others. At first it was seemingly an acomplishment, now its just something some people do.

Sometimes it's fun to annoy people by telling them that you have a higher level in something at level 3 combat. However they are virtually useless. Especially if your main account already has most skills above 50 already, why start a whole new account?

Even miners aren't working well anymore, in level 45 wilderness, level 48 and less people can kill you, and steal 12,000-336,000 gold worth of rune ores.

But level 3 yew woodcutters are virtually worthless, there's no gain in getting money on a side account.

Some people just get bored of their mains, or want a challenge and to be different.

And Nadril is right, making a new account won't "rekindle the flames of interest" (Nadril 1). :P

Supermonk, proving you wrong since 1992.

Supermonk rocks, I want to have his children.

Music is like candy. You always get rid of the rapper.

The point of Runescape is to have fun. I have fun on my skiller. Problem solved.

If that's still not enough, why do I have fun?

1. I like the skiller community

2. I like when people go OMG u got ownage stats

3. I like how you can camp out at some place on your combat account (Fire Giants) and still be able to do something else.

So that's why for me.

cwscore2.jpg

I know tht I made my skiller because i wanted to explore more like i did when i was a noob. also to bring back some memories, and making my own money in different methods. also just to get the great feeling of erning my first addy full helm etc.

but I dont understand why they intend on being level 3's. combat is half the fun.

moose67.png

Since Runescape 2 skillers have been on the increase. Probably because skills are more "fun" now, there is alot more to skills than there used to be. Expansions to practically all skills even firemaking, plus the fact you can actually see your character skilling, in runescape classic combat was the only stat that was of really much interest as your character was actually doing something not just stood there with a little bubble over his head, of a pickaxe or hatchet.

We have pures now we have skillers. I suppose when you get bored of your main account and need something to do it's nice to have another account to play on, its nothing new.

I'm not a "pure" skiller, but I do it because it's FUN. That's the point of Runescape, to have fun. It doesn't have to make sense to you. It's almost like asking - "Oh my gosh, why isn't everyone MALE? It's so awesome!"

You have to realize that maybe we look at combat people and say - what the heck, how's THAT fun?? :D

i for one am not a skiller (even though my stats say other wise) but i agree why waste upwards for 100k xp on some random account that's lvl three if i was going to drop 100k xp on something i would drop it on some worthwile skill on my main, it's totally useless to waste your time on a random goal which you will probably get bored of the next weekend after you start it unless your totally into skilling and it's your main, but why loose a lvl 60+ or so account just for skilling? :-k

Account created on Weds, December 21st, 2005

99 cooking on December 12th, 2010. 99 Agility on September 30th, 2011. 99 Fletching on August 17th, 2012. 99 Prayer on March 22nd, 2016. 99 Farming on April 4th, 2016.

but why loose a lvl 60+ or so account just for skilling? :-k

Or you could play on both accounts?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I have to say, many people do it because they are bored with their mains. Because they want the attention of people coming up to you and asking you how you are mining rune or cutting magic logs when you are only level 3. Simply put, I find it entirely useless, because even if the level of the account is a noob, the user is not a noob one bit. You can never be a noob at this game again, and I am sorry but that is a fact. Do not TRY to make a new account to think it will be the same challenge as you encountered during your first account, it is just simply not the same. Pure skillers are done because people are bored, but in my eyes it is a waste of experience.

The point of Runescape is to have fun. I have fun on my skiller. Problem solved.

3. I like how you can camp out at some place on your combat account (Fire Giants) and still be able to do something else.

So that's why for me.

Being a skiller does not require you to be a level three. And if I read your third reason correctly, that is multi-logging. (Which is against the rules.)

So that's why for me.

Being a skiller does not require you to be a level three. And if I read your third reason correctly, that is multi-logging. (Which is against the rules.)

Wow, you completely misunderstood every single thing I just said. To quote the topic maker,

But, many people make a side-character, or even dump their "main" altogether to play as a low level. They usually include non-combat skills in the setup, and it's referred to as a "Skiller". All of you should know this by now.

The topic is about skillers that are seperate accounts. That is why I am talking about them.

And also, I am certainly not talking about multi-logging. I mean I can have my combat account stay at Fire Giants, and if I want to do something else, I don't have to move him, I can log on to my skiller (after logging out, of course) and do something on there.

cwscore2.jpg

I never really liked making multiple characters. Skilling was never my think. : P

After all, I re-experienced that noobish feeling when I finally made the switch from RSC to RS2 a few months back. :)

I can see the idea though. When I think of all the time I waste moving around from place to place to do different things, it makes me wish I had a few characters.

Making a lower leveled character is of all times, in RSC alot of people had low leveled pures, now the intrest has changed from PKing to skilling. Making a level 3 (or a new charc, doesn't really matter) is a challenge, a change of what you normally do in RuneScape, basicly just a way to have fun.

I tried to make low level accounts, but I got bored with them, so it's not my cup of tea, but I can understand why some people find it fun to make new characters.

If you can 1 hit monsters, teleport everywhere you want to go, and do everything you want to do, there's nothing more left (even tough there is alot more left probely, but maybe they don't want to do that :P ) and people just want to have a challenge again.