Is luring an acceptable practice?

Kalphite_Queen

no, pking is when you kill someone, that isn't dishonest (although not following "honor" code is legally dishonest)

luring is when you lie to someone and then kill them and take items (hey, I buy your whip 3mil meet at that bridge)

see the difference or do I have to say more?

safari20hat11.jpg

We should euthanize anyone who lacks the capability to contribute to society in any way.

Please don't elect this man for president in 2012

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are differnt types of lurering, therers the type where someone runns over and attacks someone and then runs back to the cover of there clan.

Theres also the tag-team and other tactics in the wilderness.

But then theres the trade and run back, and pkill the item and lastly the "fi you want to get in there theres a guy whos sells keys in the wildy, folow me" type.

I think the first two are find becuase the wilderness is all about tactics not just some pkillers thinking they can maon to jagex so that everything goas there way (eg - Stop wildy teleing, don't let bait run away thorugh tree and have someone else attack us, and the "we need more level 1 armour")

However I don't agree with the last two becuase there more like scamming butjagex does need to make newer players more reponsible for there actions (not everything should be safe and peacefull)

:shock: nashy :shock:

mithmwccape,nashy19.gif

nashy19.gif

mypet.jpg Click the image to pat my pet!

The players falling for it are the new or young players. They are less or unexperienced and do not know where exactly the line is where wilderness begins.

If people only lured low levels, they wouldn't need high levels like me on the attacking end. >.<

And on the official runescape forums one of the J-mods said it was NOT against the rules... If it's ok with them then its ok with me..

partyhatownercopywv6.jpg

i think if jagex actually promote luring in a subliminal way. they put little things into the game that can be for only one reason and thats to lure my brother is a lure guy and i dont condone what he does but hes very good at it himself gets alot from it. he lets me sit in his room and watch him do his trade.back to the jagex thing, they put little things into pthe game like at mage arena single combat out side right !?

but ia little further down south there is a log with wolves under it and if you go to the begging of the log theres a mulit area bit

whats that for hey?

they put that there so people can be lured to that spot then froze and piled on! the only reason i can think of

so no i dont think it is wrong if jagex are maiking it possible to do

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

wildy luring is one thing. i dont know who to feel worse for, the person who has a black enough heart to actually try this, or the player stupid enough to fall for it. :-k

dag king luring falls under the "barrows tele-othering" in my opinion. you know its dangerous when you go to kill them, they are some of the strongest opponents in the game, and you should be well prepared to deal with any threat, including possibly lurers.

however, the luring that involves taking an inexperienced player to a dangerous place that gives no warning, such as taking low level players to the dark wizards below varrock, should be considered item scamming

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

holygrail-1.jpg

Well, everyone, I have looked at this thread 'up one side and down the other', and put simply from my own opinion? I hate Lurers! In fact, having seen this thread, I am likely to set special rules on how to handle them in my clan. I've personally never Lured and never will, and I find it horrible that anyone would have to resort to something so low to get an item. In fact, based on what I see from Jagex Corporation's 'Mod Kinders' in the following Quote from 'ShaneOneill1', a member of TET Staff...

I dislike it when people make their money by luring. Although people get warnings about going in the wilderness, the people who are setting up the lure are lying, ie item scamming.

A thread in the Website Feedback forum, on the Offical RuneScape Forums, made a post saying something like, 'The Rules need say clearly as to whether luring is against the rules.'

This is Mod Kinders responce to that:

modkinderfl0.png

...I am going to make it a point to report the players who Lure. :x ... Heck, I ran into someone in mid-level wilderness who was likely a Lurer from how they talked yesterday. If their CB Level had been much higher, I would have killed them and taken what I could have got for wiping one of their kind out. (I personally try to make myself "Death to Evil People"...) From my personal point of view, even before I saw that image quote, I had the feeling that these kinds of luring (especially the one in that video back on page 2 or 3), as well as "trade luring", are definite "potential ban offenses", and therefore, should be treated as such. Now I have the proof I need, as shown in that quote, to go pro-active about it, and in the names of both Saradomin and Guthix (as well as my IRL deity), I will be.

[Late Edit: Just as a note, these wildy lurers are also a major problem and pain to players who don't lure others. Especially those who do honest trades on the fly in wildi, and this upsets me greatly. I gave this one guy at random at the "Dark Warrior's Fortress" a single "muddy key" just the other day because I couldn't use it immediately due to being with a full pack and about to go offline, and right after, he ran off to either just get away or use it, I dunno which, but I do wonder if he thought I was a lurer. :shock: ... You can see why I'm angry over it. I don't like being misinterpreted as a "bad guy", because that is NOT who I am. I'm basically 100% "pure good guy" at my core.]

To the Lurers: Consider your days numbered very soon. Go ahead, stick me on your "Run Away From Him Or Don't Expect To Get Anything ... *Gulp* ... List" so that you won't make the mistake of getting near me. :lol: ... I'm fully capable of getting away from you. (I'm also F2P only, so nailing me is basically impossible under normal circumstances.)

Sincerely,

Mr. D. V. Devnull

Clan Leader, Clan DeltaPrime

(Note to Tip.It Mods and Admins: This is a different page, please don't snip the quoted image. It will shatter the point of my post otherwise.)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

luring is deceit. deceit is learned. something learned has nothing to do with

how smart is someone.

this game (runescape) is played mostly by kids. some of them not old

enough to have learned what "deceit" is (and i know of players 8 years old

with nice combat lvl), not old enough to know how use forums, search

for fan sites etc and find out that there are people that might

try to deceive them.

those kids might not have learned what deceit is, but might have learned

to work hard to get a precious full rune. because they are young and know

nothing of deceit, they trust other players.

they trust them into even giving them their password

(i did not even tried to, but 2 of my friends offered me

their passwords, and of course i refused them)

the players that know what deceit is, that are good at doing it and bad at

working hard will always try to deceit, in trades or lures.

my conclusion: i think it's bad:

that luring exists

that luring is alowed

that lurers (and deceivers) are alowed to continue to play, because

the quality of the people that plays this game is going down if they

get to the conclusion that "deceit is good, because now i can

skill in 2 days what that n00b must have worked for months".

the society does not benefit when that kid grows and has to choose

between hard working and deceiving, because we all know what

path he will choose

working hard does make coins, deceiving doesn't. it only takes from

someone else, it does not bring something valuable to runescape.

but, then again, only people that agree with me already will bother to

read all this :(

blue_1979.png

so you lure?

congratz to you!!!

don't you feel smart?

you just outsmarted someone who could be an 8 year old

[hide=]

Wow... I just scanned it with my new high tech program called "common sense" and it detected a scam.

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed.

Gee, for someone with "billions and billions on multiple accounts", you sure whine a lot.
[/hide]

i think if jagex actually promote luring in a subliminal way. they put little things into the game that can be for only one reason and thats to lure my brother is a lure guy and i dont condone what he does but hes very good at it himself gets alot from it. he lets me sit in his room and watch him do his trade.back to the jagex thing, they put little things into pthe game like at mage arena single combat out side right !?

but ia little further down south there is a log with wolves under it and if you go to the begging of the log theres a mulit area bit

whats that for hey?

they put that there so people can be lured to that spot then froze and piled on! the only reason i can think of

so no i dont think it is wrong if jagex are maiking it possible to do

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

so you lure?

congratz to you!!!

don't you feel smart?

you just outsmarted someone who could be an 8 year old

wow...since people need to be over 13 to play the game... :roll:

I agree with nadril...runescape is a game yes, yes it has some educational purposes or else everything would be allowed. For this reason is best to be scammed in game so people don't be scammed in rl. :XD:

The whole point of much of law is to defend the weak, the infirm, and yes, the stupid.

There is no such thing as "this is legal because you're a moron if you fall for it." Tell that to the conmen and scammers in white-collar prisons. Sure, the one being scammed shares part of the blame, but it doesn't absolve the scammer of moral responsibility. I'm somewhat shocked that this attitude is so prevalent on this thread. I expect that you would be somewhat ticked if you got mugged and the cops said "It's your fault for being in this part of town, so we're not going to press charges."

In my personal opinion, luring as defined above is item scamming, pure and simple. It's lying to another player for your own personal gain - so rule two directly applies.

well, thats something different, in this case u cant prevent being mugged, in rs noone can force u to give u an item, nor can someone attack you if u aren't in wilderness( and u dont just wander off in wildy with 1mil), i think that luring isnt fair and so on, but its their choice, if they want to follow u to a dangerous place where they can get killed with 1 mil in their pockets.

I think Duckersmash3 is right

most people who got lured are young kids i think.

why i think? cause i work the whole day with kids at school.

yes their teacher is playing runescape and in the pauze they were talking to me about the game and how they got scamed with luring or false trades.

when i here those story is think that is very hard for a kid of an age from 8 to 12, who worked very hard and doesn't know the prices.

with that all, iam dutch so my class of kids are dutch too. 1 thing i know for sure that is that their english is not perfect and some of them even didn't notice the wildy is dangerous area.

that is my point.

luring stinks and is no fair game, just work for your money!

PS dunno or its aloud, (or maybe there allread is one) but maybe we can make a treat where we can post names of guys ( wiht evendence pics) who scamed others so we can ignore those guys.. its just an idea.

All i hope is that jagex find a way to get rid of the scammers and lures

greetings,

Duke Despoil

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

Unfortainly this "luring" stuff is an excuse for scamming....

Luring consists of taking someone unexperienced (normaly) to the wilderness or someother dangerous space making them die to their own profit...

SCAM? yes......obviously...

one friend of mine tryed to make me come lure whit him.. i refused and he called me noob and said that luring was not scamming... Im used to him cuz his pure (and main acc...) is buyed AND he buys RS GOLD from the internet AND BELIEVES IT'S NOT ILLEGAL....

honestly i think ppl need to be

a)VERY EVIL...if they buy/scam everithing why play????'

b)stupid....

c)ignorant?

p.s:ive not reported him cause i need proves...dont I?

From what most people who support luring seem to be posting I understand that they believe we should purposely exploit those who are considered with out "common sense" and otherwise "inexperienced".

So pretty much you're exploiting the innocent. Wow, good job, why don't you just go up to a 10 yr old in real life and tell them "Give me 10 dollars and I'll give you 1 million" and then just run off? Its the exact same thing, even though luring takes place in a game.

There are people behind the pixels so respect that and treat them like you would in real life. There was a really good article in the tip.it times about this not too long ago, explaining how the way you act in-game mirrors who you truly are, some people seriously need to give it a read.

A scam is a scam, and a lie is a lie, no matter how you look at it or manipulate it.

Grow up, please, for the sake of the people who play fairly and just want to enjoy the game.

Yes, it is.

My policy is that if you are too stupid to realize its a scam, you deserve to get scammed.

No matter what it is, lure/trade scam/ real life scams (credit card scams / ect.). All it takes is a slight ammount of brain power to avoid these incidents.

"Hey, I want to buy your item for a rediculous ammount of money, can I?"

"Sure random stranger!"

"Ok, just walk up to the wilderness with me and we will trade there"

"why there? Why not the bank?"

"Because I'm busy (or some other excuse). I prommise I wont kill you and its not dangerous!"

"Oh, ok!"

:roll:

im a mod and i agree completely.

Mods are meant to be nice so when someone sez they get lured and/or ask if its a scam i just say yes it is, mainly to keep the game going...

we just have to catch them b4 they manage to lure someone-thats the fun i get as a mod. Yes i do report lurers but still if ur 'less intelletcual' enough to be tricked cmon, ur asking for it.

and luring infort of a mod, cmon ur asking for it.

JUst like Durial they do their actions at their own risk-slight bravery which deserves the occassional bit of respect, they are people making a living of other people-its what people do best.

I say they are REPORTABLE but RESPECTABLE even if not HONOURABLE.

PS i do not lure and never have done.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

Morally wrong? Yes... Against the rules? Apparently it is... Is it item scamming? I cast for vote for yes... As duke_forum said:

with that all, iam dutch so my class of kids are dutch too. 1 thing i know for sure that is that their english is not perfect and some of them even didn't notice the wildy is dangerous area.

:wall: There, got that out of the way. Sadly I myself have been lure killed before. Someone wanted to buy my Saradomin robe bottom for 800k and said they were wood chopping up near the lumber yard, so i walked on up, said trade, walked into the wilderness and died, lost mime gloves and my robe bottom. I think luring is a terrible thing, and only poor noobs should do it. While i personally do not believe it is against the rules, it should be.

bankad8.png

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

So I read through some of the posts and I suppose I have a bit of a change of heart.

Being lured does not mean you are stupid. I just want to clear that up. If someone offered to buy all of your items (and it wasn't for a rediculous amount of money) you'd probably go.

The one time I was lured I went to a guy who claimed he was powerwoodcutting across the bridge in Edgeville, I thought "Oh, it's not a big deal... and it's only level 1 Wildy if I do end up going in there." Well, I was slightly more naive then, and I went - got killed, lost 60k pure ess (when they are ~90 ea).

I was just eager to sell my items was all.

But the bigger point is that I was deceived. The player lied to me (he was actually level 56, some 40 levels lower than I was, but he had a lvl 97 friend waiting to log-in at the exact spot I was standing).

Luring = Deception, which is against Jagex's Rule #2. It doesn't get any more clear than that, so no, it is not right to lure. Just because we have the ability do something doesn't mean we should.

It's called player killing strategy. There are many depths to proper pking, luring included.

IMO

Luring is as acceptable as getting the kill from someone who has decreased the HP of another.

If you happen to wander up on a guy who has half hp - shouldnt you and the person who (he escaped from) get half and half of the monetary value of the items?

Yes, in fairness you should

But do you?

Heck no you pocket that aby whip and dharok full baby and go to the bank !

;)

F2P

75 str

52 combat

40 att

10 def

~Pure4lyfe

The whole point of much of law is to defend the weak, the infirm, and yes, the stupid.

There is no such thing as "this is legal because you're a moron if you fall for it." Tell that to the conmen and scammers in white-collar prisons. Sure, the one being scammed shares part of the blame, but it doesn't absolve the scammer of moral responsibility. I'm somewhat shocked that this attitude is so prevalent on this thread. I expect that you would be somewhat ticked if you got mugged and the cops said "It's your fault for being in this part of town, so we're not going to press charges."

In my personal opinion, luring as defined above is item scamming, pure and simple. It's lying to another player for your own personal gain - so rule two directly applies.

about the mugging, generaly people who get mugged know of it happening in the place before hand, if they know something has the potential to happen and they dont take means to avoid it it is their own fault

Luring is acceptable. To fall for it you must be pretty stupid. I mean, put two and two together. A player higher than yourself says "I need to trade in the wildy for that". You should know that they are capable of killing you if you walk into the wilderness. It is pathetic to get items like that, but it is perfectly acceptable. If you have been lured, it is your fault for trusting the lurer. I have been lured before, and people may think "oh it's just lvl 1 wilderness, no danger." That's what I thought. But when a player lures you into lvl 1 wildy, think outside the box. Might he just have a friend waiting to log in to kill you? I had this happen to me personally, lost d med, d scim, and full rune. But I think it is perfectly acceptable, if not fair. It made me mad, but just because I was stupid enough to believe them. So think a bit when someone asks to trade in low level wildy.

goldphishies.jpeg

[>>Thanks to Yaff2 for Reaper,Trooper,and DOOM sigs, Navyplaya for nature sigs, Hardwick246 for gold sig, ThruItAll for Darkwatch and guitar sigs, and Aijiru for avvy!<<]

[>>Refresh for new Siggie!<<]

i hate lurers! i was lured once! and they took 300k and my ring of wealth! you cant say that it takes a bit of so called brain power not to get caught alot of people have never heard of luring and some are quite naive the only people who say i takes a bit of brain power are lurers themselves and if i ever meet you in person ill punch you so hard ill break your nose! (mind you people have tried luring me several times since and im not letting it happen again)