Mount & Blade: You conquer castles and stuff!

Azvareth

mountbladeqf0.jpg

Mount&Blade is a medieval combat simulator that has two really strong suits -- firstly, good on-horse combat and secondly, massive and interesting battles. No other game gives the same kind of intensity and involvement in the battles you're involved in -- when you ride with your army against an opposing force of mixed infantry, missile troops, and heavy horse you really feel the impact of combat, risking your own neck to save your troops while seeking every possible advantage in terrain and tactics. You may arrive on the battlefield with 20 troops and face a force in excess of 100 individual units, all of them on the battlefield, doing their best to take everything you own and it's your skill with a sword and the steadiness of your horse that will decide if you live or die.

[source]Sheepgoat's Beginner's Guide[/url]]

VIDEOS

(apologies for the terrible music)

POPULAR MODS

Graphical Enhancement 3

Mount&Blade Native Expansion

The amounts of available mods can probably be compared to that of the Elder Scroll series. It's pretty crazy.

You can buy it, alternatively download the demo, from Steam. Note that the demo is actually the full version, except you can't level past 7. Unfortunately, you guys just missed the -75% offer on Steam. Still worth every penny!

So basically, use this thread to talk about this awesome game! Also feel free to ask any questions.

Fun fact: the game was apparently developed and updated by (mostly?) two people, a husband and wife from Turkey.

2009rb9.jpg

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I heard about this game on Reddit a while back. Seems a bit like UO was back in the day, in regards to the huge amounts of things you can do in the game. Might pick it up off steam.

I know it's not a graphic heavy game, but what are the specs for it? My rigs pretty old.

edit: You can find some more mods for it here: http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/topic,41715.0.html

Been following this game for a while now and it is truly a lot of fun. Get and nice horse and axe and smash people in the face with it. Once you've built up a nice army and go back to fight some river pirates you can't help but chuckle as you and your army decimate them.

Built by a husband and wife team, I'd highly recommend buying it or even trying the demo.

A couple nights ago I heard about this game....checked it out on Steam. Next morning went to buy it...back to full price.

So unfortunately for now...I don't have the money for it. But I played it at a friends house....horse combat really is the shining star in this game. Very well done.

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

I know it's not a graphic heavy game, but what are the specs for it? My rigs pretty old.

I can't seem to find info on this anywhere, so I'd advise you to download the demo from Steam and try for yourself. It plays great on my 3 year old rig though (2gb RAM, ATi XTX1950X 512mb, AMD Athlon 4600+ X2 processor).

2009rb9.jpg

I wish this would come out on console. My computer barely has enough hard drive space to manage right now. Too much music :3

This does look awesome, though. If I ever get a new hard drive, and look for some games, I'll have to remember this.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

How much space does it take up?Aside from that I'll still have to wait to raise funds,though.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I can't seem to find info on this anywhere, so I'd advise you to download the demo from Steam and try for yourself. It plays great on my 3 year old rig though (2gb RAM, ATi XTX1950X 512mb, AMD Athlon 4600+ X2 processor).

Yea I'm playing it at the moment and it runs good on my PC, even though I only have like 502mb of RAM.

It seems like one of those games that are really easy to pick up, but hard to master. There's so many layers to this game; I love it.

How much space does it take up?Aside from that I'll still have to wait to raise funds,though.

Less than 500mb I think.

Yea I'm playing it at the moment and it runs good on my PC, even though I only have like 502mb of RAM.

It seems like one of those games that are really easy to pick up, but hard to master. There's so many layers to this game; I love it.

Less than 500mb I think.

Actually, I found the system reqs on the Steam store site, and it requires:

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

700mb free disk space

512mb RAM

64mb graphics card or higher

So yeah, not very demanding unless you want to play on ultra high or something.

2009rb9.jpg

Less than 500mb I think.

Actually, I found the system reqs on the Steam store site, and it requires:

Windows 2000/XP/Vista

700mb free disk space

512mb RAM

64mb graphics card or higher

So yeah, not very demanding unless you want to play on ultra high or something.

Ehh I'm sure I'll manage with my [cabbage]ty RAM. Oh and this was the article I read on Reddit when I first heard about the game:

http://www.1fort.com/blog/the-demoman-mount-blade/.

Spent around 20 mins on the tut then played it for 5 minutes. At first I thought eww, this looks kinda' crap. But now I'm sorta' warming to it.

I love the parrying. The graphics and no sound during 'training' were a turn off for me. Horseback fighting is something I cannot grasp, I always fail to hit those dummies.

When I play more tomorrow I can go more indepth than this crappy little description.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

This game is awesome holy [cabbage]. I was sacking and burning towns, raiding caravans, upgrading all my troops, then I got chased down by a 70 man party from one of the kingdoms that I burned to many of their towns. My little raiding party gets beat to [cabbage], and I get taken prisoner. I raised another band of villagers and tried to take a castle. I waited like 7 days to try and starve them out and got bored, so I tried making ladders to take the castle by force. Bad idea. Got killed and taken prisoner again :(.

Damn this game is good.

Looks like a game I'd fork out cash for, despite the sub-standard graphics.

I wont even try out another mass-produced Korean game with mana/hp meters with an overly bulky-armoured guy walking around slashing orcs for XP points, this game & it's interesting combat system looks like a fresh change. Thanks for the tip.

I love the parrying. The graphics and no sound during 'training' were a turn off for me. Horseback fighting is something I cannot grasp, I always fail to hit those dummies.

When I play more tomorrow I can go more indepth than this crappy little description.

Concerning horseback fighting, what you need to consider is that weapons have different weapon reach. It usually takes me a few battles to figure out the distance when I buy a new weapon.

You need to figure out a lot of things on your own though. The tutorials don't explain quests for you, everything about morale (I wish they would), "reknown", maintaining your villages and troops, tournaments... etc.

Does it have open loot? :D

What does this mean?

Looks like a game I'd fork out cash for, despite the sub-standard graphics.

Ah the graphics really aren't that bad. If you play on ultra high it's actually quite pretty. Plus you can download a "graphics enhancement" mod that adds a lot of extra eyecandy. I haven't tried it out yet though.

2009rb9.jpg

This game is awesome holy [cabbage]. I was sacking and burning towns, raiding caravans, upgrading all my troops, then I got chased down by a 70 man party from one of the kingdoms that I burned to many of their towns. My little raiding party gets beat to [cabbage], and I get taken prisoner. I raised another band of villagers and tried to take a castle. I waited like 7 days to try and starve them out and got bored, so I tried making ladders to take the castle by force. Bad idea. Got killed and taken prisoner again :(.

Damn this game is good.

u can starve people out? thats crazy

i want this so bad now

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig

Damn this game is good.

u can starve people out? thats crazy

i want this so bad now

Yea, and all the different kingdoms are playing as well, so you'll sometimes come across two parties fighting a battle, or laying siege to a castle, or raiding a village. It's awesome. I heard later on in the game you can pledge alleigance to one of the kingdoms and get your own fiefdom and banner and heraldry. No clue how to right now though.

Combat is also very satisfying. Riding by someone on foot and hearing the "shinng" sound as you slash him with your sword is soo nice.

Yea, and all the different kingdoms are playing as well, so you'll sometimes come across two parties fighting a battle, or laying siege to a castle, or raiding a village. It's awesome. I heard later on in the game you can pledge alleigance to one of the kingdoms and get your own fiefdom and banner and heraldry. No clue how to right now though.

Combat is also very satisfying. Riding by someone on foot and hearing the "shinng" sound as you slash him with your sword is soo nice.

I didn't know you could starve them out. That's awesome. So that's why a bunch of Swadian troops have been surrounding Hamal for like... a month now. I'm guessing you have to prevent the caravans from entering the cities/castles?

And yeah, when you haven't sworn allegiance to any kingdom yet, and you've acquired enough reknown points, one of the Kings will eventually contact you and ask if you want to become a vassel for that kingdom - with it, you'll get your own village (the villagers will pay you taxes and everything). You can also upgrade the villages, and give them watchtowers, schools, mills etc. The villages you acquire start out as being really poor in the beginning, and the villagers don't really like you that much, so you gotta improve them and help out when needed, like protecting them from bandit raids and stuff. In exchange for all of this, you must help the lords/king in battles when they call for you.

You also get one of those banners after a while (the shields of your troops will get the banner symbol on them).

Also, when you beat other lords in battles, you can take them as prisoners - and if they don't escape during the nights, lords will eventually contact you with a ransom (usually a few thousand denars). I've got 3 lords captured right now. :P

In the Native Expansion mod, if you own a castle, you can throw the lords you've captured in your own dungeon so they can't escape. Pretty cool when you have like 10 lords just rotting down there (you can visit them). :P

You can also become a marshal later in the game, if the majority of the lords vote for you.

2009rb9.jpg

Woo, took my first Lord hostage. ^_^

Got chased down after I plundered one of their villages, kept retreating, got back to a friendly city, bought some mercs and stuff, went out and ended him. He's my prisoner now. =D

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Good lord I want this game so badly.

Bleh but that'd be awkward explaining to my parents how I want some game like this. I hate talking about fantasy\medieval\etc games like this with them.

same when i was trying to convince my mum to pay for my runescape membership i tried to explain how much more you get and she was just laughing, i got so angry (that was a few years ago) what she doesnt realise is that i have been using paybyphone without her knowledge for awhile now

sword2di2.jpg

thanks to mitsubishi64 who made this sig