Games that you find overrated?

Princess Viola

Any games that people ALWAYS talk about or try and get you to play, but you think are overrated?

EarthBound - Well, the entire Mother series. I find it incredibly overrated. I played Earthbound for like an hour before I quit. And Mother's graphics sucks and Mother 3 is just plain dumb.

Halo - Yeah, mainly because, my friend always goes on about how it's "outselling the Mario games or it has online or (stupidest one) it's first person!" Yeah, like they didn't have FPS before Halo. :roll: But the worst thing is, he just says "It's one of the best selling games EVAR!"

Here's the 20 best selling console/handheld games ever.

1. Wii Play (Wii 22.98 million)[

2. Nintendogs (DS 22.27 million, all five versions combined)

3. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (Game Boy 20.08 million approximately: 10.23 million in Japan,[45] 9.85 million in US)

4. New Super Mario Bros. (DS 18.45 million)

5. Wii Fit (Wii 18.22 million)

6. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES 18 million)

7. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (DS 17.41 million)

8. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (DS 16.81 million)

9. Mario Kart Wii (Wii 15.4 million)

10. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 14.89 million shipped)

11. Mario Kart DS (DS 14.61 million)

12. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Game Boy Color 14.51 million approximately: 7.6 million in US,[19] 6.91 million in Japan)

13. Super Mario Land (Game Boy 14 million)

14. Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! (DS 13.71 million)

15. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (GBA 13 million)

16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 12 million)

17. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (GBA 11.82 million)

18. Super Mario 64 (N64 11 million)[101]

19. Gran Turismo (PS1 10.85 million shipped)

20. Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS 10.79 million)

Do you see Halo on that list? No. Now, I'm not saying Halo is a bad game, which it's not, I just find it overrated. Also, he also says Halo is one of the best selling vg franchises ever. Which it is, according to the 'pedia. But, it is 37 out of 150. Only sold 25 million. (Might not seem so bad until you realize that Kirby is beating it)

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought game franchises that should give up was kinda the same thing?

Halo, FFVII, Gears of War, GTA 4, GTA San Andreas.

Agree with you except GoW. Because, I've never played it and none of my friends talk about it.

(See with my friends it's either Halo or Mario. Except me. I'm a Kirby and Pokemon guy)

Meh I may as well post.

Halo series, any Final Fantasy after 6 (so 7 and on), Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, World of Warcraft.

*shrug* I'm sure there's a few more but those stuck out in my mind as being grossly overrated.

I thought game franchises that should give up was kinda the same thing?

Halo, FFVII, Gears of War, GTA 4, GTA San Andreas.

I agree with the bolded, but haven't played the others.

Halo, well I don't enjoy it, is a good game because it entertains people. However, it really isn't much better than most in its genre.

And San Andreas is kinda boring, in my opinion. Not to mention the overuse of swears. I would rather play Vice City, even though I don't like GTA that much.

^^^Agreed totally. I loved Vice City with a passion and it's my number three most favorite game ever. But San Andreas seemed kinda racy and yeah, the overuse of cuss words made it really unenjoyable. I just hated the story, it just seemed kind of wrong. I guess, as a white guy I felt kind of awkward playing it.

GTA4 just never has impressed me much. The missions are boring, and the only fun I find to be had is to shoot up a storm, but even then that gets boring eventually.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

GTA4 just never has impressed me much. The missions are boring, and the only fun I find to be had is to shoot up a storm, but even then that gets boring eventually.

If only they had the "pedestrian riot" and "ped. weapons" cheat... That would make this game AWSOME. It's what made me come back to GTA3.

Halo is a good FPS. Can we all agree on that? BUT! There are so many other, BETTER, FPS' out there that are better. Amirite? Also, Prototype. I will admit I hyped about it to my friends, and when I finally beat it, I thought "hmmm... not quite as good as I had hoped." And CoD:WaW IMO Just seems to be like most other WWII games. (Except the Blackcats <3:) *puts on fire-proof suit*.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

No, it is a bad game. Recycled gameplay, the online community is freaking horrible, and, yet again, more repetitiveness. Once you buy all the map packs, and play them all about 100+ times, you just want to go crawl in a hole and die knowing how much money you wasted on the game. I only play the original halo on computer, and even then I barely play. Only play the custom edition player-made maps cause they are awesome when done right.

Any other games I think are overrated? FEAR. It didn't scare me at all. My friends go "omg I was so scared I threw my controller across the room thinking it was alma!!!1!1!1!111!1!!!11111one". Well, I gave it a go and turned it off out of boredom in about 2 hours. Every time Alma appeared I just ran at her trying to kill her :wall:

disturbeda.png

GTA San Andreas.

I'd like to know why you consider it overrated?

The only thing overrated about GTASA is peoples reaction to the swearing and the like.

And CoD:WaW IMO Just seems to be like most other WWII games. (Except the Blackcats <3:) *puts on fire-proof suit*.

I'm not going to troll you or anything but who the hell cares when a shooter is based? It's all the same crap online.

Yeah sure, its joined a trend of WW2 shooters, but noone cares about the offline or story in comparison to how much they care about online. And there all that matters is the way online is - if the weapons are equal. in CoD5's part, they arent.

But every game is the same, an SMG in cod5 is no different to an SMG in cod4/6.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Hate to make a cliched post but Guitar Hero is definitely number one.

any Final Fantasy after 6 (so 7 and on)

I enjoyed those ones far more than the earlier ones. The customization systems were so much more advanced and there was a lot more bonus material in those games. Although I do bet that the reason most people liked them so much were just because they were 3-d and the stories were "good" ( :roll: ), so I do agree that they are overrated. Why the hell did people think Cloud and Sephiroth were so cool? Cloud was a crybaby and Sephiroth wasn't that bright.

By the way, I should say that just because I say a game is overrated doesn't mean I think it is terrible. For the most part I just think the games I listed are mediocre and not worthy for as much praise as they get. WoW was somewhat of a difficult choice to put on it, considering it has done a lot with the industry. In the end though I just think too many people hold it up to way too high of a standard.

I enjoyed those ones far more than the earlier ones. The customization systems were so much more advanced and there was a lot more bonus material in those games. Although I do bet that the reason most people liked them so much were just because they were 3-d and the stories were "good" ( :roll: ), so I do agree that they are overrated. Why the hell did people think Cloud and Sephiroth were so cool? Cloud was a crybaby and Sephiroth wasn't that bright.

I'm just not a big JRPG fan to be honest (A lot of them feel very generic.). I do think there are a lot better RPG's out there than the later Final Fantasy's though, even JRPG's.

Looking over that list theres a few imo that shouldn't be anywhere near the top 20.

Wii Play was bundled with the Wii and therefore those aren't true sales figures.

Nintendogs was so boring compared to a real dog its stupid.

Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, FireRed, LeafGreen and possibly Rub and Sapphire are bad attempts at redo'ing the pokemon brand.

I lost interest after gold/silver as they over complicated the gameplay, tried to replace the solid base of 'mon the originals had and never met the scope of Gold or Silver (you get to play the whole freaking first game pretty much once you'd completed the first island).

GTA SA lost me well before VC ever did. They try way to hard and failed to make it big enough to go wow, but small enough to navigate.

I personally found GTA IV massively overrated (could be due to the bugs in the game). I found CoD4 on the 370 massively overrated its massively behind in dynamics for the campaign (pretty much use x path with no real y or z options) and the online play didn't have much balance. Not to mention the *shudders* auto aim on it.

MGS2 was slightly overrated imo (did look nice though).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

GTA San Andreas.

Don't judge Cod4 by WaW's low standards.

I dont see how that works :wall:

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I lost interest are gold/silver as they over complicated the gameplay, tried to replace the solid base of 'mon the originals had and never met the scope of Gold or Silver (you get to play the whole freaking first game pretty much once you'd completed the first island).

Que?

I lost interest are gold/silver as they over complicated the gameplay, tried to replace the solid base of 'mon the originals had and never met the scope of Gold or Silver (you get to play the whole freaking first game pretty much once you'd completed the first island).

Que?

Opps the first are was meant to be after.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Gears of War.

I thought that was the most overrated piece of crap to come out on the xbox. The story mode was crap, The controls were horrible and buggy, I think the only good thing to come out of that game was the graphics. And even then it stuck to the same colour scheme as every other future alien blaster (apart from halo) with it's Browns/greys.

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

GTA San Andreas.

I'd like to know why you consider it overrated?

The only thing overrated about GTASA is peoples reaction to the swearing and the like.

It didn't live up to the hype, for me. It's all I heard about for months, and then I finally play it a year ago and I was bored and disgusted.

Gears - So freaking boring.

Guitar Hero/Rock Band or whatever, just boring as hell pretty much an arcade game? Garbage music too.

Left 4 Dead - Looks too repetitive for me.

GTA San Andreas.

Don't judge Cod4 by WaW's low standards.

I dont see how that works :wall:

Be quiet then. :wall:

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Bioshock, I just didn't get it. I also think resident evil 5 was overrated, couldn't even finish the demo with those crappy controls.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010