RSOF Prices Just as 'Whacky' as G.E?

Danqazmlp

This ties into the whole junk trading thing, but let me explain.

I'll use the example of 3rd age Platelegs.

Today's G.E price: [ GE ]: [M] 3rd age platelegs: 20.2m (Today: No gain/loss.)

Today's Street/RSOF Price: 200m (taken from a thread on RSOF today)

W2 Street Price before trade restrictions: Around 20m

Now imo the w2 price of items was the true price, a totally free market where items were traded at the prices people wanted them, totally correct at the time, so that imo is the correct price of an item.

Isn't the argument for junk trading that the G.E prices of items are 'outragous' and 'too low/high', i can see the oposite, the price now is more outragous than anything.

From what i've seen, these prices have been hugely manipulated, people buying/selling these items nowdays dont want the item, they just want to manipulate the prices and make money off them, these items arent items they are currency now, which is stupid, just plain stupid, they werent introduced to be used that way.

I know i've only used one example here, but it applies for nearly all 3a items, alot of t trail items and most items over the price of 20m.

I am totally flabbergastered why people refer to the RSOF prices as the 'true' prices, they arent, they just plain arent, i can't even convey my disgust at how far out of proportion these items have been stretched, its almost sickening that people have manipulated the market this much.

The only people buying these items are other price manipulators who further push the price up. People who would actually use the items are forced out of the market and onto other items or just buy on the g.e.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

As long as someone is willing to buy at the wacky price, alls fair in the trade.

If the price is far off, then obviously no one would buy at that price.

demand <-->supply

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

2200+ total.

Well godwars certaintly would have pushed 3rd age prices up more then their prices before the trade nerf, but not near 200m for one piece. Merchants are responsible for the 200m plate etc.

Ge is wrong, and some RSOF prices are wrong.

What some people dont realise is that merchants are part of the RS game. They have been here since early Classic, and will always be here messing with prices. Not all merchanting is manipulating prices, but there are groups that do.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

The only people buying them are other price manipulators who further push the price up. People who would actually use the items are forced out of the market and onto other items or just buy on the g.e.

And yes merchants would have probably pushed the price up a bit with godwars giving them more money and more people to supply to, but as you say nowere near as much. I beleive that w2 kind of controlled the market the same way the G.E does, people used w2 prices as true prices, and merchants had a very hard time moving the price too far up or down on w2, but with this they arent merchanting, they are manipulating the prices way past what they should be.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Yeah I have to agree with you, a great example of this is Wild Pies. Recently I bought a load of them for just over 2k each, and people were like: Wow you're lucky! They're going for 5-6k a time on RSOF!

I checked RSOF and to my surprise they were. I just kept them though because I've never liked junk trading. What amused me though, was when just 2 days later the prices on the GE started falling, even though people were apparently trying to buy them for almost double. I think this proves that junk traders are just trying to rip people off.

tifsiggy.jpg

Thanks to Quarra for the awesome sig!

Xbox360 Gamertag = Tintin113

It's all the merchant's fault. Their instinct tells them that the GE is broken, so they use these methods to rob players blind.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

My guess as to why 3a is like this is because of all the new TT items out there... More possible items to get = less chance of getting those that were there before = fewer coming into the game while demand continues rising at same rate as before = Higher prices.

As for junk trading and what to do about it, I'm thinking about just copying and pasting all my posts from earlier threads since you seem to be using the same arguments as everyone else against junk trading and getting Jagex to fix the GE.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

The prices had already exceeded 100m+ before the t-trail update, so that cannot possibly be a reason unfortunately.

zqXeV.jpg

The prices had already exceeded 100m+ before the t-trail update, so that cannot possibly be a reason unfortunately.

It might not be the main reason behind the price rise, but it certainly is one.

Also, it seems that, once an item's price goes significantly outside of the GE's price range (to where most people stop trading them through the GE), those without the junk to boost their prices just decide not to sell and the price rises higher and higher as fewer and fewer people continue selling. This, unfortunately, can only be fixed by Jagex (if you can get enough people to throw their 3rd age items on the GE to bring it up to speed, I'd be flabergasted). Several people, myself included, have already been pushing several ideas that Jagex could use to fix this, but nobody knows for sure when or what they will do.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

I think the reason that 3rd age is so high right now is a combination of things. Before there were hundreds (thousands?) of people with phats and also many players who had multiple phats. When they became effectively dead these players looked for somewhere else to use their money. We have noticed a steep increase of players with 99 herblore since then as well as other skills that are able to be bought. Many other players looked towards rare items that would not be loosing value and that were seen as a status symbol, 3rd age. Before 3rd age was worse then barrows which meant that there was no reasonable reason to have it (accept 3rd age mage parts and 3rd age kite). Now that players have lump sums of money that they are looking to invest in something with they look towards 3rd age which is much like party hats. They both have no real use (besides some parts) but they look cool and are something that is in demand (meaning no money will be lost). We also have to consider the addition of godwar dungeon. Before this update the best money making was merchenting and probably daganoth kings or kq. Those may have been good but being able to get an item worth 100m (say 50-50 split, 50m), it's unheard of. You would need 25 dragon axes for that much.

Getting another sig

[removed]

The problem isn't really that these prices are rising extremely fast, it's just that third age items are brought into the economy slower than cash. We all know that the average rs player's bank is worth far more than it was two years ago. There are far more bank pics now with 100m cash piles than there were two years ago.

Basically, everything of the old days is falling in value, but retaining the same gp value because the gp is inflating to go with it. This leaves newer items, such as GWD items, to seem like they are at outrageous prices, but truthfully, these are just about as common to see as whips and barrows items were after their releases. The sole difference is, that while your above-average player used to have 30m and bought guthans and a whip when they were that expensive, now the above-average player has 150m and buys a godsword and some bandos armor.

Taking that into account, third age prices have barely risen in actual market value compared with inflation, and 20m just can't buy an item anymore that is so rare.

lalalasig2.png

The problem isn't really that these prices are rising extremely fast, it's just that third age items are brought into the economy slower than cash. We all know that the average rs player's bank is worth far more than it was two years ago. There are far more bank pics now with 100m cash piles than there were two years ago.

Basically, everything of the old days is falling in value, but retaining the same gp value because the gp is inflating to go with it. This leaves newer items, such as GWD items, to seem like they are at outrageous prices, but truthfully, these are just about as common to see as whips and barrows items were after their releases. The sole difference is, that while your above-average player used to have 30m and bought guthans and a whip when they were that expensive, now the above-average player has 150m and buys a godsword and some bandos armor.

Taking that into account, third age prices have barely risen in actual market value compared with inflation, and 20m just can't buy an item anymore that is so rare.

I agree. Just take a look at prices of most common items to see this. I can remember when coal prices were never more than 100. Now it usually tops above 200 and iron usually goes for around 100. Money isnt worth the same that it was 4 years ago, or even 1 year ago for that matter.

I agree. Just take a look at prices of most common items to see this. I can remember when coal prices were never more than 100. Now it usually tops above 200 and iron usually goes for around 100. Money isnt worth the same that it was 4 years ago, or even 1 year ago for that matter.

That is true, but that wouldn't push an item that's 20m over the 200m mark, thats a 10x increase on the price, 80m would be about the limit if this was the only case.

zqXeV.jpg

no, Inflation of this type pretty much goes exponentially for rarer items. Its hard to explain right now and I gotta go to work in 5 minutes, but the more the thing is worth, the more the price is gonna raise due to inflation. So something only 100gp, not that much increase, something 20mil+ well.... lol.

no, Inflation of this type pretty much goes exponentially for rarer items. Its hard to explain right now and I gotta go to work in 5 minutes, but the more the thing is worth, the more the price is gonna raise due to inflation. So something only 100gp, not that much increase, something 20mil+ well.... lol.

I agree inflation does more for higher value items, but i don't think it would be going to far to say that the junk trading has doubled the price of rare items just because they can (example: 3rd age plate would be 100 mil because of inflation, but junk has pushed it to 200 mil).

For these prices there isn't just inflation, its manipulation by greed. Most merchants with some sense of honor have most likely stoped selling at those outrageous prices, leaving the mainpulative merchants to thrive and push the price higher and higher. Really i fear that this might be the end of runscape if something is not done, if it contiunes it will get to the point where a brand new player will never be able to make enough money to buy anything really and this game will slowly die.

cool_sig1.jpg

Trying not to be ignorant, although i may have a slight case of [developmentally delayed]ation.

Can somebody please explain how a 20m item can be sold at 200m?

I personally have phats and cannot sell at all unless i obtain some third age. How am i supposed to obtain any third age when none is ever really sold?

It's totally ludicrous. Actually get quite frustrated over it. :evil:

Trying not to be ignorant, although i may have a slight case of [developmentally delayed].

Can somebody please explain how a 20m item can be sold at 200m?

I personally have phats and cannot sell at all unless i obtain some third age. How am i supposed to obtain any third age when none is ever really sold?

It's totally ludicrous. Actually get quite frustrated over it. :evil:

the whole concept is flawed, the person is not selling a 20m item, they are selling a 20m item and 180m worth of various other items. you can buy the 3rd age armor if you also buy XXXm worth of junk (mass quantities of useless items).

bottom line, yes the 3rd age is sold, but not alone, and not on the GE.

You're basing yourself upon faulty assumptions:

1) That 3rd age platelegs were 20M. The prices for 3rd age have always been VERY hectic because they are extremely rare. I personally bought a pair for 35M at a time I unfortunately don't remember. I do remember them jumping around at 30-40M. I don't see where you got the 20M from, maybe from the beggining before the populace realized how insanely rare they were. After people realized how rare they were, they never dropped back. Obviously, since prices were hectic, in individual occurences, when the market was steep, it is possible some people sold for 20M, but that was never a general tendency. My bet is that you picked it as a random item to prove your point, but you have obviously never eyed the priced of 3rd age platelegs. As a side note, platelegs are my favorite 3rd age item, unfortunately for you, I actually know about them.

2) That they would be 20M nowadays. 20M is VERY cheap for an item like this, a complete bargain. On something like the GE, considering all the stakers, merchants, monster hunters, and skillers with their pockets filled with money, 20M is not possible.

There's a thing you have to know about 3rd age. The supply is extremely limited. 20M for 3rd age platelegs would be a good price, IF it were something obtainble similarly to bandos. 40M would be a good price for something as rare as this, but the price never sticked because people are not ready to pay 40M for only the legs of an albeit attractive set. Even though 30M is right in the middle, it doesn't fit either.

3rd age always had screwed up prices, GE or not. It's a collector's market. It's very rare items, but the motivation to buy it is not that high. People would rather slaughter the nubs and the monsters with godswords.

Not such a good example to use for your junk trading hate campaign :lol: (yes people, that's all this is, mr over there doesn't actually care about the facts "Zomg I hate junk trading!" is all you have to understand here)

2480+ total

Prices are determined by supply and demand, NOT what the price was x time ago. Partyhats were less than 5k each at times, but that's just silly now.

Also when you come to talk about junk trading there is an important issue you forgot to mention- junk DOES have a price. People sell purple hats 95m ea trough bh, but also trade them for full junk. Based on that the new prices of 3rd age items aren't that bad at all, because junk is reusable source of money.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Noone actually pays those prices because merchants don't have 200m in junk. It's just fake prices so that people will trade the value of the other 3rd items they are trading for the other 3rd age item. Lets say you buy a 3rd age melee plate and you want legs so you trade the 3rd age plate+junk in trade for the 3rd legs+the cash difference of the 'fake' prices for it. Noone ever buys 3rd age for straight cash it's all 3rd age for 3rd age.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

People sell purple hats 95m ea trough bh.

I thought you couldn't bring rares into bh? :roll:

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

People sell purple hats 95m ea trough bh.

I thought you couldn't bring rares into bh? :roll:

you can't. they junk trades -.- where have you been if you havnt heard of junk trading :wall:

My private chat is always ON.

Winner of The Tip.It Teamcape Outfit Contest!

6 years. 1 dragon CS drop and some barrows, bad luck?

99melee.jpg

When you buy an item in a junk trade, you are paying not only for the item, but for the effort the person went through to acquire that junk. If you get 180mil in junk to use in your own junk trades, that's certainly worth something. You're right, in a sane market where I could just go out and sell my damn item for whatever price somebody would pay for it, it wouldn't be 200mil. If I'm going to have to spend hours working out a way to get the right price for it, it's going to come at a mark up.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png