Dagannoth King Guide (AOW discussion)

oddfaery2

Tip.It staff note: This guide has been copied to the Archive of Wisdom

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=556381

This original topic is for replies to the author and discussion.

Note from author:There is now an official tip.it guide that you can find at http://tip.it/runescape/?page=dagannoth_kings.htm

I will leave this old guide here for 2 reasons. 1: So that you can find anything I originally had here (or missed), and post anything that needs updated on http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=566041

2:Nice lil bit of history to see just how much the guide has changed since I first made it, at least for me it is.

Just for simplicity, organization, and easy reading, I'll break this down into sections. This will be much like Impaler99's guide to the 702 in that regard.

** Safe spot added 11/18/05 **

** Update to Meleers (those killing Supreme) added 11/21/05 **

** Safe spot additions 11/21/05 **

Section 0: Dispelling horror stories + why kill king?

Section 1: Dressing for battle

Section 2: Equipping for battle

Section 3: Getting through Waterbirth Isle

Section 4: Fighting the Dagannoth Kings

Section 5: Extra Hints and Tips for longer trips.

*NEW* Section 6: Safe spot for last man standing

-------------------------------------------------------

Section 0: Dispelling horror stories + why kill kings?

From what many of you have heard, the dagannoth kings are "really hard" or "can kill you in 3 hits" or other mumbo jumbo things like that. Granted, these ARE a tough fight, but they are far from impossible. I take more damage from the level 76s on the outer circle than I do from any of the level 303s when I go. Done properly, these things can be fought in a worthwhile manner.

Why kill the dagannoth kings? There are many reasons really. Perhaps get the ultimate range PK/Stake weapon against mages, get yourself the ultimate tree chopper. Or even get the highly useful mud staff. There are also 4 wonderful rings that add +4 bonuses to various modes of attack, including the farseer with +4 magic, and the highly-demanded berserker ring with +4 strength.

If these items don't tickle your fancy, then perhaps go for the $ you get from selling these items.

(NOTE: For some personal information regarding dragon axe and effectiveness, see page 2)

Section 1: Dressing for battle

Before going to battle, you should gather a fair number of people. I'd say to be worthwhile you'd need at LEAST 6 players (1-2 mage, 2-3 range, 2 melee), and having 10 is really helpful. Anything over 15 is probably overkill.

Out of this group you should split up and have some using melee, some ranging, and some using magic. Prime hits the worst from people's claims, and supreme can be easily dealt with by both melee and range, so if anything it's ok to have a few more rangers than people using melee or magic.

Once you've decided how you will fight, dress accordingly. You will almost always be praying against range or mage, so try to wear something that gives you defense from the other. Melee defense is not highly needed, but if you're going as melee, I'd wear it, as it gives range defense too.

Melee: Melee is probably the riskiest of the 3 classes. You will often be getting hit by more than one of the 3 kings unless you get a good rotation going. Wear decent armor and be prepared for mage prayer. You will want good range defense as well though. Some people really like Veracs, while those not willing to take such risks wear other attire. Here are some of the popular choices I've seen, aside from those who like to dress with risk.

dagguide0jq.png

Mage: When maging you will most likely be in range of Dagannoth Prime. Thus you will probably want to be using magic protect prayer. This means you will get hit by range the most. I would wear something that gives some defense against range as well as some offense magic bonus. Here are some of the things I wear when I go, some like to wear ahrims, but it's too high risk for my tastes, and the bonus added is minimal. I went on a trip with a lvl 95 mage using ice barrage and full ahrims. I used Saradomin strike with 98, with 50 less of a magic bonus, and we came out just about 50/50 on the kills. Point is, you're going to hit decent on Rex regardless of your bonus with magic.

dagguide22qy.png

Range: The role of ranger is probably the safest. If you're going for the first time, I would highly recommend this position. You will be using magic protection most the time, and since you have a bow, not much can be done to add range protection. I would just wear black hides and crystal bow. Regular bow CAN work, but you should bring rune arrows if you use it, addy at the LEAST.

dagguide33ks.png

*NOTE* It is very easy to die or nearly die in the event of an accident (e.g. 1 person's mistake can get everybody nearly killed), lag [bleep]e, or sheer stupidity. If you are worried about dying you should wear a ring of life, as it may (but not necessarily) help save you.

Section 2: Equipping for battle

Each class has different needs while going to battle. Here is a general idea of what I take or others I know take. Of course if you want you can always sacrifice a shark for defense pot, or if you don't have super-anti poison then take an extra normal antipoison, or instead of ectophial take TP runes, or vice-versa.

Melee:

dagguide61iw.png

Mage:

Be prepared to either use your best ancient or god spells. Magic dart works well too, or blast spells, but unless all other mages are using death rune spells, you won't get many drops this way.

Ancient

dagguide40mr.png

Normal

dagguide55ov.png

Range:

dagguide71vp.png

Section 3: Getting through Waterbirth Isle

First off, you will need at least 3 people (whether they go to kings with you or not) in order to get to the first ladder and proceed deeper into waterbirth isle. There are 3 areas with doors that require 2 people to open. Each area leads to a different blockade, which can only be broken down from one of the other 2 areas, or in the middle of them. So you have to have people in at least 2 of the 3 areas in order to let the others in. Once you're past the blockades you can let others down just hitting it, otherwise if on outside you have to range/mage the others.

While going through the cave in Waterbith Isle, you will go past several rooms. In each room you will get attacked by various combat classes, and should pray accordingly. The giant rock crabs are a good stopping place to regroup/restore energy, as they'll only attack you if you disturb their sleep.

There's not much I can say about this other than to follow the lead of experienced people. The seal-like creatures mage, the dagannoths range or melee, and the rock crabs and rock lobsters are melee. when you get to the rock lobsters you should get behind the ladder where they won't hit you and regroup. Get everybody back up to at least 90% energy before moving on from here.

dagguide87pk.png

Run through the tunnel with protect from melee on until you reach the red x, then switch to magic prayer. When you get to the end of the crowded room is the ladder going to the dagannoth kings. Everybody should enter this around the same time and go in together. Switch to mage/range pray as you go down, according to which direction you're going to go (see next section), be prepared to use a shark or two first thing you go in until you get where only one dagannoth king is hitting you.

Section 4: Fighting the Dagannoth Kings

When entering the room, it is likely that 2 of the dagannoth kings will be after you. To counter this, you should get to an area of the room such that only one of them is hitting you. *Note* you enter the room from the west side.

Rangers: Go to the far northeast corner of the room with magic protection on. Drink up that range pot and make sure your prayer's good, and then nail Dagannoth Prime (The red [bleep]ed one -- need good screenshot of him facing view). Get far enough east that Dagannoth Supreme won't pay any attention to you.

Melee: Your target is Dagannoth Supreme (The green [bleep]ed one -- need a good screenshot of him too). Get in the southwest corner, or as much as you can, and start hitting him. Since he doesn't have to move to attack, he can be a little harder to lure. A lot of people will mage pray even while fighting him, as their armor is weak against magic, so this can be food intensive. Watch for when Dagannoth prime dies so you know how long you can get away with range prayer.

**Updated part**

Another thing that seems to help the meleers last longer is to get Supreme and Prime to alternate. This works best on a slow server with slow respawn. After killing the initial few, have the meleers run to the northeast with mage pray on, and chill out, help kill 76s, whatever, until Prime respawns and is killed. After Prime is dead, they go Southwest and kill Supreme easily, using range prayer instead of mage. This makes them use a lot less food and doesn't slow down the killing in any way. Of course, after Supreme is dead, get back northeast and mage pray. Obviously for this to be effective your rangers need to kill as fast as your meleers.

Mage: Your target is Dagannoth Rex (No [bleep]es and a dull greyish pink color -- need good screenshot of him too). Get as far east as you can and whip up that mage pray in case you have to get in prime's area of attack, or if you run to the southwest for some reason, be prepared for range prayer. It helps to have somebody with ancient who can freeze him, but he's kind of an idiot and will spend more time walking around after different people that hit him than he will actually attacking you. Even without entangle/freezing he's fairly easy to avoid.

EVERYBODY

When you have finished killing your enemy, help finish off the others. Rangers, help kill of Supreme as priority. Range is weak against Rex. If Supreme is not already more than half dead, get in the southwest corner with range pray before you start this. The ABSOLUTE LAST THING YOU WANT is for Prime to respawn while you're on range prayer and still in the northeast corner.

When Meleers are done killing Supreme, help kill either Rex or Prime

When Mages are done killing Rex, help kill Prime.

He's an ugly picture I made to give you an idea of where to stand with respect to whom you are fighting. When fighting any of the kings, you should generally be standing in the denoted area that I marked off.

dagguide90ky.png

Section 5: Extra Hints and Tips for longer trips.

It's always more fun to run out of prayer pots before food. It makes you feel like you made the most of your trip, at least it does for me. Here are some tips to help you survive longer:

1: If you use cannon and others do not, keep it on the outer rim. If you are one of the last to stay there, do not fire it off and get all 3 kings after you at once. Also, if you think you are near death and tele for your life, DO NOT PICK UP CANNON FIRST. If you die with cannon in inventory, you are going to be a very unhappy camper. It's better to just go back and get your cannon from the dwarves. Better yet, if you can bank and regroup fast enough, you can already have your cannon there and save 4 spaces of inventory.

2: If done properly (except maybe for melee), you should take more damage from the level 76s than you do from the kings. Of course you're always praying from either protect from magic or protect from range, so if there are no kings to kill, pick off the ones that are hitting you with the opposite attack. This will save you a lot of food.

3: STAY AWAY FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM -- enough said. If you go to pick up a drop from middle of the room, wait till there is no more than 1 king alive and pray accordingly to go grab it, or telegrab.

4: Help each other. Don't just sit there and do nothing. If all kings are dead, help kill the outsiders. Always help kill the other kings until yours respawns. This will help you get more kills, as your friends won't have to teleport as quickly.

5: Watch your prayer and HP. Always try to keep your HP near max. You're almost constantly under attack, so eating to full HP will not be a waste. I'm 94 HP and almost never let myself drop under 70. This way if I lag or prayer runs out or something bad happens, I have a chance to survive.

Also with prayer, WATCH IT. Look at your prayer between every kill, and know how fast it drains. Know how much a dose of prayer pot gives you, and drink to full or at least 3/4 full. I can not emphasize the importance of this.

Section 6: Safe Spot

**Note, Sly_Wizard wrote a guide to using a solo spot for fighting rex here http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=353963

He wrote this for those intending to only solo Rex on their trips. My section, however, is more intended to be used as a last resort while fighting either Rex or Prime**

Last Man Standing? Suicidal? Don't like people? Then you're still in some luck. I'm not sure how this works for melee, and doubt it does, but if you are maging or ranging, you've got some hope.

I tested this for myself on a trip with some people who teleported while I still had more than half my food and sharks (mages using range prayer with little to no mage protection). I was able to get about 4 kills after they all left.

Mages

Get in the southeast corner and when Rex spawn attack him. Stay as far back as you can to stay out of sight of Prime/Supreme. You should be able to make 2-3 hits as he walks down to you. Then run to the north as close to the water as possible. He will get stuck on the edge and all you have to worry about are the low levels and possibly Prime hitting you.

safespot8mt.png

Also using this spot, you'll pretty much only get hit by magic or range. On a trip where I was going to be only mage I tried out 6 prayer pots, 1 def, 1 super anti, runes for teleporting and fire blast (death runes). I wore full guthan and granite shield with fire staff, so I had about 289 range defense and -14 magic offense. Nonetheless, I got 11 kills on Rex using less than 500 death runes. Granted i have 99 magic and 92 defense, so you may need to alter pots/food if your numbers are different. I ended up running out of food as Rex was nearly dead and prime ignoring me, and then ran out of prayer with about 50 more damage to do on Rex. I got the kill and left with 25 hp

Rangers

Same idea for you. Get in the farthest northeast possible position and you should be able to fight Prime safely. If you see Supreme wander your way get back east. If rex comes after you, get him stuck in that spot. This is a little more difficult than for rex. When fighting Prime, he will be able to attack you without moving, which means you might have to get farther west than you want to be. This means you have to VERY carefully watch your hp and prayer, more so than with rex. If Supreme starts hitting you just get the hell out of there, he'll easily hit 40s on you a few times if you stick around.

Everybody

Like usual, the level 76s will be attacking you. I would highly recommend strong defense against range, as mage prayer tends to be more useful (and if Prime attacks you, you're not screwed). However, since you're the only one they are after, you will be getting hit significantly more by the level 76s than if you go in a small group. a few consecutive 10s, 8s, 7s, etc can start to add up quickly. So don't get overconfident.

I hope this helps those in hopes of fighting the Dagannoth Kings. As for "can I kill the kings with...." questions, I would recommend high defense. This is definitely not a good spot for pures. I would also recommend that for whatever you plan to attack with, you have 90+ in that skill. If not then don't expect a lot of the drops, and only go with people you trust to split the loot with you. Even if they got the drop, they most likely couldn't have done it without your presence.

I would recommend at least 60 prayer. Mine is 72, so that may effect how many prayer pots you take in relation to your sharks. After a few trips you will know what is best for yourself.

If anybody can think of something I should add, please post here. I'll try to be as helpful as I can. Please keep any questions on forums... I get a lot of in-game messages and my list is already full, and I can't add every single person who messages me. I don't want to be forced to put private to friends.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*drops so far (not all posted in this page)*

4 axes, 2 warrior rings, 2 berserker rings, 2 seers ring, 1 Mud Staff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to use this here to add pictures and whatnot. If you have pictures that would help the guide, feel free to post so I can add.

I'd also like to say that I've gone with a few trips with some "big bad" 124s+ who don't really like listening to what a lil 114 they don't know has to say. Apparently being higher combat means they're more intelligent... anyway the point I'm making is that this guide is well-qualified. I've gone on several trips and I am usually one of the last people to teleport, if not the dead last. I have never died there, and when people do things according to my plan, they usually live.

Each trip I go on, my group tends to get at least 35-40 kills. Out of 6-10 people that's not that bad, considering how little room there is for sharks, that you're constantly under attack from more than one combat type, and that you take a lot of damage/prayer on the way to the kings. I have close to 200 dagannoth hides in my bank just from going on a few trips each day, and I don't even pick up all of the ones I get.

dagkings8wx.png

picture0169qu.png

picture0179sv.png

picture0200mi.png

dragonaxe12oq.png

axedrop23pl.png

dragonaxe46tw.png

95hp0fp.png

firstwarrior7yn.png

berserkerring4tr.png

dragonstone0wo.png

1helluvatrip3of.png

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Nice guide, well done :)

I tend to go to World 2, that way (because I have little to no friends who would come) there are enough people there for me to stay alive.

My inventory consists of (all pots are 4-dose) a Super Antipoison, Ranged pot, 6 pray, cannon, 1,000 cannonballs, ectophial and 14 sharks.

On me I have archer helm, black dhide chaps vamps + body, ring of wealth, legends cape, glory ammy, karils xbow and about 500 bolts. I find the xbow much better than the crystal bow(obviously) mainly because of its speed.

I get probably around 75% of the kills on the mage(100 combat + 87 ranged) with 110's+ there. So far I've had 2 seers' rings and 2 d axes in about 10-15 trips. Also, on World 2 it's great because people usually kill them 1 by 1, so there's rarely ever more than 1 kings there at one time.

There`s one thing I`ve always wondered: if several people kill a big bad monster together, who gets the drop? The first one who hits the monster? The one who gives the finishing blow? The one who does the most total damage? The one who did the most damage in a single hit?

nice, got my first ever bow drop cause of u... sort of

do tell? Hopefully it wasn't a clean up kill from one of the many times I went on world 2 and had to leave with somebody red-barred :P (another reason why I like going on some other world)

There`s one thing I`ve always wondered: if several people kill a big bad monster together, who gets the drop? The first one who hits the monster? The one who gives the finishing blow? The one who does the most total damage? The one who did the most damage in a single hit?

The person who does the most total damage

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Hmm do you think that me and some friends at around the same stats as myself could last long enough down there to get around 10 kills?

My combat stats are :

. 77 range

. 77 hp

. 75 magic

. 74 attack

. 71 defence

. 71 str

. 53 prayer

Id be ranging with my brand spanking new crystal bow,full blackhide,glory ammy,archer helm,boots of lighness and ring of life + the same invent as you described in your guide.

rssig4copy.gif

Yay! Thanks for doing this guide, I've been waiting for one.

Good work, too. :)

Looks like fun, I'm gonna go now. World 2, all my lonesome at first... The scout trip may be the beginning of a wonderful adventure.

Maybe a good reason for a new blog! 8)

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

Looks like fun, I'm gonna go now. World 2, all my lonesome at first... The scout trip may be the beginning of a wonderful adventure.

Good God man... don't go alone... you die and lose enough stuff as it is.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

ud do very poorly to be honest, and good guide mate, a few things id change but otherwise very nice glad you didnt reveal my cannon spot :)

LOL Froggy, your cannon spot isn't the only good place, and I already said if you take one it's good too keep one near the outer rim of the circle. That way you can safely reload and whatnot :)

Just remember, if you start firing it off and you're only one left, you can very quickly get all 3 kings after you.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Congratulations, this guide has been stickied and immortalized in the Archive of Wisdom.

Please try and keep the guide in tip top shape. :)

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

please make a new blog :D i loved the last one :)

867de2w.jpg

What can I say? I'm a rebel, like Ché Guevara.

8fcsy9s.jpg

What the hell is Ash doing while Team Rocket says their rhyme?