Naivety...Again.

monkeyboo2

well the update has come...

And i was right!

So i thought i'd bump this.

Yesterday, apart from reading one of the bravest posts on this forum about the new update from R2 Pleasant about his remorse, he highlighted another key point (shown in bold of the hidden part). This made me think that we are walking into more chaos all over again. Explained after...

[hide]

Some will recognize me as a merchant, some will recognize me as a GP seller. I have sold somewhere near 19 Billion GP on Runescape since February. This update took me completely by surprise, for many reasons.

First of all, this is but a small dent in the massive machine that is Real World Trading. There will ALWAYS be a way to transfer gold to another player. This is a massively played multiplayer game, you cannot control it. The efforts of Jagex to take away all possible trade methods will ultimately DESTROY their own game! There are too many people willing to spend their money on gold to stop it.

Secondly, going after duel arena traders is the wrong move. The people who do sell via the Duel Arena are the personal sellers. They are the ones who do it discretely, and the ones with the least negative effect on the game. The people that ruin the game are the companies, with their auto-talkers in F2P, and their macro'ers all over the place on F2P, and even on P2P. These sellers all sell via trades, not via stakes, although it's quite obvious you plan to take away direct trading shortly as well. :ohnoes:

All in all, from a GP seller's standpoint, I feel like I've destroyed Jagex. It's a mixed feeling, in one way, it means that my customer base will dwindle, and in another way, it means I've actually had a huge effect on a big company. Pretty interesting. If you continue to kill the parts of the game your community loves, soon they will realize that you do not care for them at all, and they will move on to a much more player-friendly competitor.

[/hide]

At the start of the month there were excited threads talking about all the great changes (possibly some of the greatest changes) that were going to happen in November. We awere naive about what was to come, but who can blame us...

We all thought that duelling tournaments would be great, especially for our bank accounts. But there was the catch...

Then, nobody saw it coming, that duelling tournaments were basically a worse replacement for original duelling.

In Jagex's brutal but failed attempt to stamp out RWITing, they destroyed duelling, and i don't think they'll stop there.

I think we are walking naively into the catch of the Grand exchange now, it seems that jagex have made their intents clear ( to rid RWITers of trading methods), and there is an obvious catch to the exchange.

we all talk about it as if it will be a good thing for trading(except for merchants) but i don't think it will be worth the catch.

Think about it logically now, another way that people RWIT is by trading; and this Looks as if its going to be replaced by the grand exchange no DIRECT trades.,

Then i suspect we will see drop trading gone by the removing the ability to drop, only to destroy (like you destroy quest items)

we may even see PKing and drop piles abolished in some form.

For once i don't think i'm grasping at straws. :?

think of the Assist system, lootshare and the Grand exchange, all of them lower our dependance on the original trading system, possibly in a gradual attempt to replace it completely.

If they do remove dropping, duelling and trading, then they'll maybe have defeated RWITing but upset alot of players in the process. See Jagex's anti-cheating policy below on page 1 :-w (from casthewiz)

This time, afew ppl have seen it coming, we have that advantage...

Should we already start campaigning to stop Jagex removing direct trading, before its implemented and too late?

Other ideas are limitations on trading such as only certain amount of gp per hour exchanged or

People cool down. They will not disallow direct trading, but they will limit it. For instance, they can force any trades where there is a sufficiently large discrepancy between the value of what is being bought and what is being sold to be done on the grand exchange. Maybe any trade where the difference between buying and selling value is more than 10K, or 5% of the value of the cheapest item will not be allowed to be done directly. That will make it almost impossible for the real world traders to directly make delivery.

5 years later at Jagex Towers...

Woot! We got rid of all of teh autoers wiath teh next update!

Player: how?

Jagex Staff: We r liek shuting down rs!

Player: Wait What?

Jagex Staff: We r liek shuting it duwn so no more autoes can sell gold!

Player: That doesn't make any sense!

Jagex: But who care we be 1337 cuz we killz autoz!

Probably not gonna happen, but with their demented sense of fixing the game....

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex will never remove direct trading.. <.<

Contrary to popular belief, they're not trying to upset players, and the Grand Exchange is an attempt to help people. :)

POG3.jpg

Pretty much what Dragon said.

Thread terminated.

I guess that means I'm the thread Terminator?

No Tip.Iters were harmed in the making of this post.

Very interesting, what would happen to the people who get good drops from godwars and have to split the money then (just an example but still...).

croppedskill2ph6.png

621st person to achieve 99 slayer on December 3rd, 2007

177th person to 99 summoning on June 21st, 2008

If this is true, and somehow Jagex DO remove direct trading, they're going to drive off the families that play together.

Gone would be their ability to lend items/money to family members.

I don't play with my family, but do loan/give items to friends that play. I even held several millions of GP for a very close friend, for months, so she wouldn't spend it all on magic runes.

Would I want these friends (and/or family) to be banned because I was doing them a favour? No, and I doubt that most sensible people would either, and would stop playing what would become a fairly silly game with little point to play together anymore.

Of those who say nothing, few are silent -=Thomas Neil =-

He has a point...

Think of it;

Lootshare, Skill Assist, Grand Exchange, Duel arena, it makes the "Trade player" obsolete to a point where they can remove it...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Very interesting, what would happen to the people who get good drops from godwars and have to split the money then (just an example but still...).

Tell that to Jagex and they'll say lootshare.

If this is true, and somehow Jagex DO remove direct trading, they're going to drive off the families that play together.

Gone would be their ability to lend items/money to family members.

I don't play with my family, but do loan/give items to friends that play. I even held several millions of GP for a very close friend, for months, so she wouldn't spend it all on magic runes.

Would I want these friends (and/or family) to be banned because I was doing them a favour? No, and I doubt that most sensible people would either, and would stop playing what would become a fairly silly game with little point to play together anymore.

I suspect that Jagex will replace conventional lending with an item loan system and with the already in place assist system (can lend skills which lead to items).

Contrary to popular belief, they're not trying to upset players, and the Grand Exchange is an attempt to help people. :)

Of course they are not trying to upset players, they are trying to make us happy by removing cheaters and CHEATING METHODS (duel arena and trading)... so in a sense we literally asked for it, but we should be careful what we ask for...

But to soften the blow they give us a less convenient/profitable/flexible alternative.

I'm not saying i'm 100% right and you could well be right, but its just an educated guess, which Jagex's recent updates seem to be hinting towards.

img.cfm?img=41871

usually I sceptical of speculation on the forums. But this unnerves me a little.... I just hope you are wrong (No offence :P )

I hope i'm wrong too :oops: :ohnoes: :uhh:

img.cfm?img=41871

Am i missing something here? Are you saying they are trying to eliminate the ability of players to trade(sell) items to one another?

This would kill the game as one of the biggest assets to the game is being able to use one skill to "manufacture" something free and sell it to be able to buy other things you want.

If this is what you are saying then I do not believe they would do this because to kill the RS marketplace would be to kill the game.

Another reason I do not think they are looking at doing this is if you look at the ne "assisting" system, they very quickly eliminated the ability to assist with skills that allow low level players to obtain many seelable items without building the skills. As an example they stopped the fishing assist because it was killing those who used shark fishing as a means to make money.

When you allow virtually anyone to gain sharks by means of assist it killed anyones ability to sell sharks.

RS is smart enough to understand that player trading is a HUGE part of the game. If they are not smart enough and kill it then they are going to feel it pretty quick in monthly revenue as I believe thousands of players will stop paying to play.

I already wrote about that 2 days ago:

Soon they will disable person to person trading to remove RWIT for definite. That is, if they are smart enough to think of that option and actually have the guts to do it.

I already wrote about that 2 days ago:

Soon they will disable person to person trading to remove RWIT for definite. That is, if they are smart enough to think of that option and actually have the guts to do it.

sorry duke, only started coming back onto these forums alot yesterday, musta missed that.

Am i missing something here? Are you saying they are trying to eliminate the ability of players to trade(sell) items to one another?

This would kill the game as one of the biggest assets to the game is being able to use one skill to "manufacture" something free and sell it to be able to buy other things you want.

If this is what you are saying then I do not believe they would do this because to kill the RS marketplace would be to kill the game.

Another reason I do not think they are looking at doing this is if you look at the ne "assisting" system, they very quickly eliminated the ability to assist with skills that allow low level players to obtain many seelable items without building the skills. As an example they stopped the fishing assist because it was killing those who used shark fishing as a means to make money.

When you allow virtually anyone to gain sharks by means of assist it killed anyones ability to sell sharks.

RS is smart enough to understand that player trading is a HUGE part of the game. If they are not smart enough and kill it then they are going to feel it pretty quick in monthly revenue as I believe thousands of players will stop paying to play.

I'm saying the Grand Exchange may be Jagex's replacement for the trading system.

In their own dillusioned way they'll see it as success against RWITers, ignoring the let down for real players.

THe assist system is one of the updates that makes the trading system less needed, along with lootshare and the grand exchange, all leads to the trading systemn becoming almost obsolete.

I hope i'm wrong.

img.cfm?img=41871

usually I sceptical of speculation on the forums. But this unnerves me a little.... I just hope you are wrong (No offence :P )

I hope i'm wrong too :oops: :ohnoes: :uhh:

You'll be happy to know that you are.

TRADING WILL NOT BE REMOVED.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

sorry duke, only started coming back onto these forums alot yesterday, musta missed that.

Well it was just a reply on a thread anyway, choose one of the 100 topics about GE / Duelling. :P :lol:

I personally still don't expect Jagex to actually proceed with disallowing player to player trading... But right now I also think Jagex has become rather unpredictable and in the larger scheme of it all the likelihood that they will actually do it with the changes they have done to duelling has grown significantly... I guess we'll know soon enough anyway.

No witty signatures for me :(

Ehh...I'd say now removing RWT is a higher priority to jagex than not upsetting players. Need I point out exhibit A?

I LOLed ( :XD: ) until i realised i had a bad chest infection, so i had a coughing fit ( :-X ), and then i grimaced cos i realised how close to the truth it was. (:-s)

img.cfm?img=41871

Ehh...I'd say now removing RWT is a higher priority to jagex than not upsetting players. Need I point out exhibit A?

Exhibit A didn't upset a vast majority of players, maybe a minority that held a lot of wealth and power but they still will have most of their players still paying for membership.

If they removed Direct Trading, chances are it would upset x100 more players, including F2P.

icecube7.jpeg

Exhibit A didn't upset a vast majority of players, maybe a minority that held a lot of wealth and power but they still will have most of their players still paying for membership.

If they removed Direct Trading, chances are it would upset x100 more players, including F2P.

Yeah, I really hope that this "Grand Exchange" is more like a market place in every town. That would be one of the only way to make this be very popular. Another way they could do it would be to maybe make an auction format? Where the item has a limited amount of time, on people bid on it? Or maybe locked trades, where only certain people can buy from it? (to keep perm trading alive)

No witty signatures for me :(

Yeah, I really hope that this "Grand Exchange" is more like a market place in every town. That would be one of the only way to make this be very popular. Another way they could do it would be to maybe make an auction format? Where the item has a limited amount of time, on people bid on it? Or maybe locked trades, where only certain people can buy from it? (to keep perm trading alive)

yeah i hope so, but i can't see it happening.

img.cfm?img=41871

I would be very surprised if Jagex were to remove direct trading between players as it is one of the fundamental principles of the game. Removing it would affect EVERYONE, not just a few (as in Duel Arena change, pure essence etc.) and IMO would cause the biggest exodus from the game that there has ever been.