Tip.It Times - 11th July 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :) Or, if you have any guest articles or Did You knows to submit, you may PM them to me also.

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

this is in regards to

"Bot... or Not?

Ts_Stormrage

Edited by: lorexvath"

I agree completely with this. It's strange why there are those who would use these programs to gain substantial amounts of raw materials.

Especially since the inception of the Grand Exchange, there really is no reason to bot, there is no way to drop-trade, or give over 100m worth of goods in a single free transaction anymore. Truly the only reason is to gain xp without working for it. And even this is not nearly as tedious as it used to be, especially with a membership. (which is cheap, even by minimum wage standards.)

This strikes a strange chord with me, because I really had no idea just how many people were running these programs until yesterday, i noted an obscenely high level player (who was also about to get 99 magic at the time) who, in true rogue fashion, closed the door to the rune essence in east varrock while simultaneously opening a door in the room northwest of it. (naturally i yelled at him for it, thinking him just acting evil for the spite of it. though he was quite apologetic and explained the situation.)

Every single 'person' who was running to the rune essence (nearly 20 or so) instead ran to that room northwest of the rune essence, and he closed the door behind them, laughing evilly.

We chatted for about an hour or so, he training magic, myself decided to do some fletching.

The ENTIRE time, the 'people' ran around that northwest room, in circles, always ending running in the direction of Aubury. In this circumstance, it was evident these people were not at their keyboards, and quite easy to see they were running programs, not speaking, or even questioning what was going on.

Eventually, one returned to his desk, saw what was going on, railed against the inhumanity of it all briefly, and logged out.

While it might be pretentious at worst, and heroic at best, I really suggest taking the time to spell these awkward sounding names (botters tend to choose complex names to prevent being reported easily, i am told) if we work as a community to curb those who are cheating, it will eventually get marginally better for those of us who actually take the time to enjoy runescape.

My question to the more experienced members of the community is, what sorts of things do you look for to risk reporting a suspected botter?

The first article was an interesting twist on an old topic that many runescapers just ignore. The major difference in this was not that the author was complaining, but that he/she offered a viable solution to the clan problem. The only problem that I have with that sollution is the massive amount of sheer transactions that go on via the G.E especially on trade worlds.

The second article on the other hand was not so convincing. I have always seen distractions and diversions as they were meant to be seen by Jagex, they are a quaint, fun, and mini-game like way to get a little extra exp. They were not meant to be a full time thing for us all to do on a daily basis. I find these distractions and diversions a fun way to get little trinkets and rewards of small items and some experience. Like the author said distractions and diversions like that do not add any content to the game, so why should Jagex put any over the top experience reward or some very coveted item in it.

The DYK was very interesting, I will be using it in the future.

P.S- Shattered hearts is just a way to make skilling that much more rewarding.

P.P.S- Ancient effigies are not the "main activity" the combat of monsters that drop the effigies is the main activity the effigies themselves are, like shattered hearts, just another great way to make combat training that much more rewarding.

When in doubt...eat watermelon ^^

As a fellow wanderer of the dark path of life, I will heal your aches and pains.

Replying to: 'Do you mind being distracted?'

I remember when the first 3 Distractions and Diversions were released. It was very exciting! Then later on, they released the Circus. It was interesting at first, be become boring over time. I still go to it when it's convenent for small amounts of xp, but the rewards are pointless. The D&D that I am not a fan of is Familiarsation. It takes forever for an obelisk to sparkle, they are usually out of the way, the D&D its self is boring, and the rewards aren't the best. I haven't been able to try out Court Cases because I haven't completed King's Ransome. I don't mind evil trees because they give fair amounts of WC and FM xp, and the magic that automaticly sends logs to your bank for a short amount of time is convenient, and the other rewards aren't half bad. Penguin Hide n' Seek isn't very hard, and the xp or coins can be very nice. I haven't tried out shooting stars, but it does sound fun.

I just really wish RS would put some more time into their work and didn't just shove out new D&Ds every other week. They need to take more pride in their work in order to satisfy their coustomers.

I'm surprised no one has brought up tele-othering bots. When you attempt to tele-other a bot, they just kind of stand there, not knowing what to do. Hilarious.

While that may work on some bots, most of them are "smart" enough to have accept aid turned off, hence not being affected at all...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

In reply to the second article:

I checked the news archives and the first 3 D&Ds to be released were Penguins, Shooting Stars and the Circus; Evil Tree came a few months later. :unsure:

Apart from that, I agree that some D&Ds are a bit useless, the only ones I really use are Penguins and the Circus, with the occasional bit of Shattered Heart.

In Response to the 1st article.

Lovely read, agree with you on your interpretation of bots on runescape. Only disagreement I have is your suggestion that having the GE update every trade (like the stock exchange does) could be anything other than an awful idea.

The reason the stock market can work like this is because people spend their entire days (and some nights) watching the markets waiting for the right time to make a deal. As it stands, I can put an offer for something at max price and be reasonably certain that when I come back from my slayer task the item will be bought. With dynamic updating, all it would need would be for 1 other trade to go through for max and suddenly mine wouldn't be the highest any more. It could be only a matter of minutes before the price is so far away from my innitial bid that there's no chance of me getting the item.

Yes I believe that there are problems with the current situation, however in this case, I believe that the cure suggested is worse than the disease.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

I have always seen distractions and diversions as they were meant to be seen by Jagex, they are a quaint, fun, and mini-game like way to get a little extra exp. They were not meant to be a full time thing for us all to do on a daily basis. I find these distractions and diversions a fun way to get little trinkets and rewards of small items and some experience. Like the author said distractions and diversions like that do not add any content to the game, so why should Jagex put any over the top experience reward or some very coveted item in it.

P.S- Shattered hearts is just a way to make skilling that much more rewarding.

P.P.S- Ancient effigies are not the "main activity" the combat of monsters that drop the effigies is the main activity the effigies themselves are, like shattered hearts, just another great way to make combat training that much more rewarding.

The problem is, the newer D&Ds are neither quaint nor fun or lack good xp. I never said xp should be over the top(that's also why I am regarding Shattered heart and Ancient effigies rather critical) but what's the point of it being restricted if it's actually less xp than just training the skill like normal?

On the other hand, I don't know anyone who thinks Familiarisation is fun, and most find Court cases also rather disppointing.

Replying to: 'Do you mind being distracted?'

I remember when the first 3 Distractions and Diversions were released. It was very exciting! Then later on, they released the Circus. It was interesting at first, be become boring over time. I still go to it when it's convenent for small amounts of xp, but the rewards are pointless. The D&D that I am not a fan of is Familiarsation. It takes forever for an obelisk to sparkle, they are usually out of the way, the D&D its self is boring, and the rewards aren't the best. I haven't been able to try out Court Cases because I haven't completed King's Ransome. I don't mind evil trees because they give fair amounts of WC and FM xp, and the magic that automaticly sends logs to your bank for a short amount of time is convenient, and the other rewards aren't half bad. Penguin Hide n' Seek isn't very hard, and the xp or coins can be very nice. I haven't tried out shooting stars, but it does sound fun.

I just really wish RS would put some more time into their work and didn't just shove out new D&Ds every other week. They need to take more pride in their work in order to satisfy their coustomers.

As said, D&Ds in itself aren't bad, I think it's the focus to make a D&D for every skill, and preferably fast, which leads to updates like Familiarisation

In reply to the second article:

I checked the news archives and the first 3 D&Ds to be released were Penguins, Shooting Stars and the Circus; Evil Tree came a few months later. :unsure:

Apart from that, I agree that some D&Ds are a bit useless, the only ones I really use are Penguins and the Circus, with the occasional bit of Shattered Heart.

My bad, you are right :oops:

I did skip that page too fast...

In reference to the 2nd article:

I find that Penguins,Stars,Evil Trees and Fish Flingers are the most interesting D&D's. The thing that I find so important about those ones is the group mentality of everyone working together for a common goal. Penguins have penguin cc's and many people form penguin trains with friends to go to the different pengs and spot them. Stars are much easier to find with 3-4 friends where one can stay at their scope and call when it's down and the others have 2-3 spots to stake out and figure out where it landed. Trees are much quicker and more fun to kill in a group of friends. Flingers is good in a group because it's quicker to find all 6 fish combos and biggest fish for medals if everyone is working together and calling. I also enjoy Shattered hearts, but to me the reward isn't the exp, it's a statue for my house that requires 30 weeks of rocks to complete so I disagree with you that the exp should always be the reward, in the case it's just a bonus that I do't really care about.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

"Bot or Not"

The fact that there are still large numbers of bots is kind of in contradiction of an update Jagex did not that long ago where they claimed they had better detection so they decreased the random event frequency...

[hide=Stats]Afro_adam12.png[/hide]

In Response to the 1st article.

Lovely read, agree with you on your interpretation of bots on runescape. Only disagreement I have is your suggestion that having the GE update every trade (like the stock exchange does) could be anything other than an awful idea.

The reason the stock market can work like this is because people spend their entire days (and some nights) watching the markets waiting for the right time to make a deal. As it stands, I can put an offer for something at max price and be reasonably certain that when I come back from my slayer task the item will be bought. With dynamic updating, all it would need would be for 1 other trade to go through for max and suddenly mine wouldn't be the highest any more. It could be only a matter of minutes before the price is so far away from my innitial bid that there's no chance of me getting the item.

Yes I believe that there are problems with the current situation, however in this case, I believe that the cure suggested is worse than the disease.

The "buying for max/min" offers, would dissapear... Manipulation would become very visible, and prices would remain more constant...

Also, if the GE price now changes with every order, then it no longer needs to balance out the total exchanges made in the last period to determine the price of the coming period... The price on the GE would become an average of all the outstanding offers, rather then what has been sold (aka an average of current possible trades, rather then an average of previous trades)...

I admit I havent worked out the idea thoroughly enough, but one thign I am sure about; once every 24 hours on average is BY FAR not enough...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The article about D&D was great. I really enjoyed what was said in it. I agree with the evil tree and penguins and shooting star being good D&Ds and giving out experience and rewards worth the time put it, plus they break up the monotony of getting the level for the quest I want to do next.

The author is right about some things, but wrong about others. Right on in the ideas the the new activities seem too complicated and stressful and without ample reward for good efforts. But although jagex released this bad content, there is always hope that more time could be invested in it later to spruce it up. Hope is the key.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

Hey guys. Since we've brought up the subject of botters & their connection to merchant ( price manipulation ) clans I suggest everyone read an article on the Runescape forums at quick code 98-99-705-61139014 . If everyone in Runescape read & understood it those clans would be through.

BTW, I love shattered heart. I get my stones religiously every week & am anxious to complete the statue in my house.

I do penguins every week & the odd evil tree when I find one ( haven't really scouted them since I got my 99 wc ).

Gave up on that Familiarization flop of a distraction. Unless I just stumble over it then I don't bother. Have yet to stumble into a fish flingers match either.

lord_uathen.png

Hey guys. Since we've brought up the subject of botters & their connection to merchant ( price manipulation ) clans I suggest everyone read an article on the Runescape forums at quick code 98-99-705-61139014 . If everyone in Runescape read & understood it those clans would be through.

TS Stormrage likes this...

+1

Finally someone explained it for the uninformed in proper english :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Just putting this out there... Jagex also made macroing bans not permanent bans. First offence for macroing is 14 days and I think the second is 21 days.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

If one day you're bored and have several people on hand, it's fun to go out and totally mess up the chin bots by suddenly flooding their targeting zone with so many traps (or other random stuff like fires) that they end up automatically placing their traps really, really far away.

You can even compete to see who can get them to wander the farthest.

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

Just putting this out there... Jagex also made macroing bans not permanent bans. First offence for macroing is 14 days and I think the second is 21 days.

I've heard that several times now, but I haven't seen any quote from a Jmod or other evidence. Would you know where to find that by any chance?

And, in case it's true, that's very sad. If they really don't want to make it perm at first, then it should be a year for the first offence and perm for the second...

I just wanted to add that a lot of merch clans nowadays seem to have changed strategy. The high ranks are no longer allowed to dump early on. The unranked members who have nothing to lose, are the ones dumping early. The ranked people of course have the ability to stock up before everyone else, but they don't dump early and have to resort to rares and junk trading to get rid of their new crashing junk.

So how did the author and editor of the D&D article both miss the fact that the Evil Tree wasn't an initial D&D but it was the Circus?

In response to the section of Court Cases, they probably will get better along the way, given that this initial batch was merely to set up the basic skills needed for the more difficult cases in future.

Also, is it possible to produce a DYK that isn't really common knowledge? One of the useful ones I read in the past was that Mystic at Stealing Creation giving free teleports to your spawn.

The ranked people of course have the ability to stock up before everyone else, but they don't dump early and have to resort to rares and junk trading to get rid of their new crashing junk.
Bedman, I thought that was the ultimate purpose of merchant clans? That way, any junk that people end up with from missing a dump can be sold with anti-junk.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So how did the author and editor of the D&D article both miss the fact that the Evil Tree wasn't an initial D&D but it was the Circus?

In response to the section of Court Cases, they probably will get better along the way, given that this initial batch was merely to set up the basic skills needed for the more difficult cases in future.

Also, is it possible to produce a DYK that isn't really common knowledge? One of the useful ones I read in the past was that Mystic at Stealing Creation giving free teleports to your spawn.

The ranked people of course have the ability to stock up before everyone else, but they don't dump early and have to resort to rares and junk trading to get rid of their new crashing junk.
Bedman, I thought that was the ultimate purpose of merchant clans? That way, any junk that people end up with from missing a dump can be sold with anti-junk.

Well, personally a friend of mine showed me the tree, shooting star and penguins as d&ds first. So I think I had that connection in mind and did skip that page too fast.

And I don't really think it's the assignment of the editor to check every statement, it's more like looking out for typos or unclear sentence structure, that kind of thing.

Blame me, not Racheya :oops:

And about the Court Cases:

Yeah, you're right, they plan to release another batch of them. However, when I wrote that article, the Development Diary wasn't out yet.

Apart from that, they didn't choose the best way to go. A lot of people haven't liked the first court summons, so many won't even bother with going there. The should've offered a smaller tutorial, and one real court session to perform immediately. And that should be a good one, as all the others should be.

The system of the game isn't that difficult, especially since everyone has already gone through King's ransom, so they shouldn't bother with easy cases like this and rather make fewer but better ones.