Tip.It Times: 15 Mar 2009

Cowman_133

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scientific scaper.

i agree with what necro wrote. i often compared max exp/hr to cash/hr when mining, to get the most benefits for my efforts. i dont go around doing whatever the hell i feel like. i do things efficiently

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

i agree with the scientific article, it was a very good read. i always trained my skill sefficiently, apart from slayer in wich i never used and i'll never use a cannon.

It also took me a few doubts about how i will train my crafting.

And, well, i don't like those stories sorry :(

Didn't agree with "scientific 'scaper" really. Sure the most efficient way may sound like the best way to do things, however if it's not fun then whats the point? In my opinion if you have to work too much to be 'the most efficient' then it's simply not fun at all. Also for me, I play runescape to escape from science ;)

Legil_galad2.png

Woodcutting does not raise your combat level because most people do not play as yew trees.

I agreed with the Scientific Scaper article, I try to find the best way to do things. Not always quite in-depth as that but I time my RC runs with and without teles etc. But sometimes I just say what the hell, buy 1k cowhides, turn them into Hardleather Bodies, get 50 Crafting and then I'm left 100k or so short as well as stuck with loads of Hardleather Bodies...Oh dear

Didn't agree with "scientific 'scaper" really. Sure the most efficient way may sound like the best way to do things, however if it's not fun then whats the point? In my opinion if you have to work too much to be 'the most efficient' then it's simply not fun at all. Also for me, I play runescape to escape from science ;)
I think you missed the point. Our hypothesis was: "When factoring in the logs cut to gain the ten woodcutting levels, making unstrung yew longbows is the best option." However, as the article states, efficiency is only one of the ways to define 'best'. Another way to define 'best' would have been fun. However, fun is highly subjective and therefor not exactly the best factor to measure for this article. However, that doesn't mean you can't try different methods of training, see which one you find most fun (and therefor the best) and use the scientific method that way :)

I agree with Scientific scaper for the most part and I try to do my training efficiently. However I usually do a few little calculations on my calc here for like... what runes to craft would be most profitable? Are natures better money than double cosmics? Should I buy or mine the ess... ect. I'm not the sort of person that can go 10 levels and cut like... 7000 yews in one go. I usually factor minigames into my training too. They're not the best experience but can provide some enjoyment away from grinding.

I kind of went off on one there but in conclusion: :thumbup:

I enjoyed the fictional article too. Yay Aestas ^___^

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

scientific scaper.

That's not science.

It would be science if you would device experiments that clarify the underlying rules of runescape. Such as the combat calculator. Or the effect of the RoW.

You write a hypothesis: the combat calculator uses the following parameters to calculate the combat level (or max hit). You then test whether your formula can accurately predict real values under all circumstances.

spuriousmonk.png

spuriousmonk.png

The scientific article, i'm sorry to say, just seems like a complete waste of time, i couldn't even finish it,

That some want to play as efficiently as possible and that some play for fun is common knowledge, i would expect that even the most casual player would have some idea that stringing their bows would get them more cost effective experience at the price of taking a little longer, personally i don't see the point in analyzing every single step when you'll always arrive at the same conlusion that more time = more xp and/or more cash

while i agree fully with the article i feel that there is no need for us to always play "scientifically" for a few reasons. firstly like what someone has said earlier, we want to do what we enjoy and some of us play games to escape from all these math/science calculations. secondly, for example if the scientific method says that killing dust devils are the fastest way to train, it is going to get incredibly boring if we stuck to the "scientific" method from level 70 or 80 all the way till 99 just to be efficient. in fact a bit of change here and there will motivate one to continue training in comparison to killing the same monster at the same place with the same equipments and same inventory over and over again.

that said one should never be foolish when training and attempt to cut normal logs all the way to 99, kill chickens all the way to 99 or mine rune all the way to 99 either. i feel that there should be a balance between using the scientific method as well as variety (or the method you enjoy). that is the way i have been playing all this while and i think most people would inevitably follow this method too to achieve a balance between grinding and enjoyment. i do admit i usually have a calculator beside me while playing and currently while training cooking i do check the grand exchange regularly to calculate the price difference between raw and cooked fish as well as the exp each type of fish gives but i only do such calculations when a particular skill is 90+ and i plan to rush it to 99.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

I liked the concept of the scientifc article, since that's how I play (I do a lot of research, timing, etc...), but I find it badly explained. Really, it isn't that difficult, but this article made it seem like that.

Also, I think the author forgot about the fact that you can sell your unstrung yew longs for about the same price (sp?), whereas you are stuck with unstrung maples.

(I might have missed the part where he did include the selling cost, I admit that I didn't finish the article because of the unneeded complicating of things)

while i agree fully with the article i feel that there is no need for us to always play "scientifically" for a few reasons. firstly like what someone has said earlier, we want to do what we enjoy and some of us play games to escape from all these math/science calculations. secondly, for example if the scientific method says that killing dust devils are the fastest way to train, it is going to get incredibly boring if we stuck to the "scientific" method from level 70 or 80 all the way till 99 just to be efficient. in fact a bit of change here and there will motivate one to continue training in comparison to killing the same monster at the same place with the same equipments and same inventory over and over again.

that said one should never be foolish when training and attempt to cut normal logs all the way to 99, kill chickens all the way to 99 or mine rune all the way to 99 either. i feel that there should be a balance between using the scientific method as well as variety (or the method you enjoy). that is the way i have been playing all this while and i think most people would inevitably follow this method too to achieve a balance between grinding and enjoyment. i do admit i usually have a calculator beside me while playing and currently while training cooking i do check the grand exchange regularly to calculate the price difference between raw and cooked fish as well as the exp each type of fish gives but i only do such calculations when a particular skill is 90+ and i plan to rush it to 99.

I dont know abot you, but I find it fun trying to maximize my xp and comparing methods. That's what keeps me going when doing a skill for a long time (for instance when I did my 16k bursts at rock lobsters)

Once i read the first few lines fo the first article i closed the page, i knew it would be pointless for me to read. I've alos never read the fictional stories.

I've never played efficienty, it doesen't feel fun when i play like that, i like to go at my own pace not really caring how fast or slow i get exp or money, as long as its fun why change?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think the scientific scaper was a nice article.

To me it became quite boring because it was simply iterating the sheer obvious, but to some I suppose it would hold a great insight.

I heavily disagree with it being termed as science however.

It has no relation to psychics, chemistry or biology.

I'd say its mathematical as the essence of what its doing is what you have to do if you study the statistics branch of maths. EG my coursework statistics involved making a theory then proving or disproving it via taking test samples and then working numbers.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

scientific 'scaper

A very well written article. but i think it is kinda well known, not something new to the most i think.

it got a little bit boring when he were doing the math so many times :geek:

kirderf123.png

99 Woodcutting 09/12/08 - 99 Cooking 13/01/09 - 99 Fletching 20/04/09 - 2,713th to 99 Construction 14/09/09

[hide=Quote]

New summon monster. You get 99 summon and complete a hard quest to gain the ability to summon Jesus, who splits the waters allowing you to walk to a new port town where you unlock the sailing skill. Obviously ;)

That was Moses you idiot.

That gets fixed in the bugfix the following week. Maybe.

[/hide]

I only read the first artcile since the 2nd one I have no interest in.

It was a good article except I didn't like the fact that he didn't incorporate resale into his equations because most people arn't going to keep the bows they fletch especially not maple longs which are 100% junk. But otherwise I liked it.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I thought the first article was pretty poorly written. It could have said the same thing in a lot less words. Its no secret that some people, including myself, look for the most efficient way to train. However, instead of going into all kinds of detail on the most efficient way to get 10 fletching and woodcutting levels, it could have simply gave some numbers rather then a lengthy explanation. It also would have been nice to touch on the enjoyment element as well. Just because I can choose a method thats better xp per hour or better money per hour dosent mean i will. How much attention is required, how repetitive a skill is, etc, all play a factor and will eventually affect my xp per hour as well.

I think the article would have been much better off if simply explained and compared the different methods of training rather then explain in excessive detail how to plan out one method.

envysfavouritemember.png

the first article...well.. i liked reading it, but it stops there, i would never make that many calculations as time isn't me concern and efficiency isn't either. if i make calculations it's for the money and the variety of the thing I'm going to go

the fictional article was a good read, but i find it strange that the story/characters forsakenmage began with are now continued by N0M_AN0R. are these stories going to be continuing but with a different author every chapter?

anyways, well done guys :thumbup:.

rida81.png

Rida81.png

became quest point master on: 21 dec 2007 2:43 pm

the first article...well.. i liked reading it, but it stops there, i would never make that many calculations as time isn't me concern and efficiency isn't either. if i make calculations it's for the money and the variety of the thing I'm going to go

the fictional article was a good read, but i find it strange that the story/characters forsakenmage began with are now continued by N0M_AN0R. are these stories going to be continuing but with a different author every chapter?

anyways, well done guys :thumbup:.

Nobody would, the author just complicated things way more than what was needed. Sorry but I find it very poorly explained of the author.

the first article hurt my brain was way to much thinking involved for the way i play lvl 134 btw so i must be doing something right =P~ but thats the wounder of rs you can play however you want there is no "best" way to play because there are a bizillion ppl playing the game ... their way.

second story was ehhh no big deal hard to get into a story a bit at a time

old fat and bald wasnt on any of the lists of what i wanted to be when i grew up

I read part of the first article, then realised it's pretty much stuff that I've read before many times, so I stopped reading it. It's a good article, but it's nothing new.

I enjoyed the fictional piece and I'm excited to see the continuation.

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.

I think the articles were great this week. Also, seeing the scientific paper get criticized makes me feel better about the criticism I receive; if something this good gets trolled, then any criticism should be taken with a grain of salt.

Clearly, the community seeks to find fault with anything that isn't written precisely for them as individuals.

stormveritas.png

I think the articles were great this week. Also, seeing the scientific paper get criticized makes me feel better about the criticism I receive; if something this good gets trolled, then any criticism should be taken with a grain of salt.

Clearly, the community seeks to find fault with anything that isn't written precisely for them as individuals.

I believe the complaints stem from the unnecessarily complex example, not from the quality of writing. I myself skimmed after he started breaking out the math, simply because it was so complex.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?