Tip.It Times Presents: The Ditch of Stupidity

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

The Ditch of Stupidity

The Editor

YouÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve probably seen it, running across the edge of the wilderness, looking for all the world as if Bob the Builder had gone nuts with his bulldozer. ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a ditch. It separates the wilderness, where anything goes, from the more civilised parts of the RuneScape world. Its function is to prevent the unwary from wandering into the wilderness unprepared and...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read the editor seems to look at both the cons and pros of the ditch, which inevtiably will be a hot topic for a few weeks.

My opnion is that both these recent updates are good things.

The ditch i like due to the fact it is now literaly impossible to lure people which has to be a good thing.

The password censcor I fell is one of the best updates recently. if people are using common words that come up in chat they should change their password, dictionary based brute forcers will easily be able to target them I'm also pretty sure this will help the newbie population who accidently fall for this scam

An interesting point of view, so Jagex made it out of frustration of these people rather than protecting them... I can only wonder.

Either way, this only proves that Runescape is truly ruled by stupid people, it must be tough trying to please such people with your massive mmorpg.

Drokles.gif

Drokles.png

I'll get there!

... eventually

I hate the new ditch, it slows me down when I'm RC'ing through the Abyss, it looks horrible, and when I first signed into my pure, I was stuck in the ditch. (I just had to click "jump over ditch" to get out)

But it does beat being lured. :XD:

sig-3.jpg

jenkees2.png

jenkees2.png

Will Ditch-jumping be a new RuneScape pass-time? Maybe...

I agree with The Editor in that some people will only learn a lesson if they were injured with it, especially if they were told repeatedly not to do something.

Off-topic:

The players who whine about being hacked should consider themselves lucky that they get their account back to rebuild their gear. The hacker could have totally hijacked the account and used it for themselves as a macroer, taking advantage of whatever skill levels the hacked account had.

More off-topic:

Will I ever take my purple party hat out into the wilderness? No, because I'm one of the few players who believe that extra bank space is far more valuable than a colored piece of digital paper.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

I would like Jagex to start focusing on the content of the game again, not providing idiots with safety. My first day on f2p I decided to go for a walk, I happened upon a horse and thought, "I'll pet the nice horsey". Seconds later I was at the business end of a unicorn and ended up back in Lumbridge. I learned from my stupidity and from that point on I knew not to go running into things. If Jagex keeps making safeguards for idiots then they'll never learn.

Nice article. I have to agree about the ditch.

I do think they should have done something about saying your pass. That scam has been around since classic.

On the note below the article - it really takes 60 coins since you have to do 2 boat trips to get from Pt. Sarim to Ardy.

runefrangecape,breadmaker40.gif

Currently working on 99 smithing:

breadmaker40.gif

Nice article. I have to agree about the ditch.

I do think they should have done something about saying your pass. That scam has been around since classic.

On the note below the article - it really takes 60 coins since you have to do 2 boat trips to get from Pt. Sarim to Ardy.

Yes.

Alternatively, you can take a few minutes to pick 10 bananas to give to the man in the hut by the East Karamja Pier. In exchange, he'll give you 30gp that you can use for the return trip to Port Sarim or to use it at the Brimhaven-Ardougne Ferry.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

Uh, you do know that the main reason the ditch was put in place was because of the people doing the trading, running into wildy trick, and people following others into the wild not knowing; not because people's stupidity or anything of the liking... #-o

You guys should really be sure you know what your talking about when writing articles. :wall:

scubanz3.jpg

4972745284559197a18112.gifRsn: Scuba10

I haven't even seen this ditch yet. Maybe I should, just to see what you people are talking about...

3zh5ap4.jpg

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man sleepy and blind in the eyes.

Carai an Caldazar! Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande!

If it's the thought that counts, why aren't humans innately telepathic?

a good times, and controversial as always ::'

i think that although the ditch is a good idea, the old message of "do not enter, you will die" (close enough) was sufficient to stop you walking in with your treasured purple cr̮̩̉̉pe-paper hat.

graphic-wise, the ditch is a hidious nightmare. those guys at jagex could have at least made it go with its surroundings...

unfortunately, there are more idiots and gullible fools (and complainers) in runescape than people who are bright enough to read the "you will die" notice...

and for the password thingy, im sure 50% of peeps have tried by now.

a famous author (i believe it was terry pratchett) once wrote:

if God decided to build a big button on the world, and added a sign with "do not press, will cause the end of the world", you wouldnt have to wait for the paint to dry.

im sure this is quite fitting

phaper.png

killing off the TET, one newb at a time :^_^:

latestsig-1.png

im cutting back on rs now due to rl issues (college), my sig stats havent been updated in a while...

Dear Editor,

Thank you summarizing our lives in one nice article. I would love to give you high five and buy a beer (if you old enough). Awesome article and we can fit not just for Runescape but for our own lives as well. Look around and you will see that we are surrounded by stupid people (people, not persons).

Anyways this Ditch of Stupidity won't change nothing. There is still plenty of dangerous places in runescape where people can be killed when they don't expect that *lumby caves anyone*. Problem is if Jagex decided to protect player with those measures soon we will have ditch around every monster and any place that can cause harm. "You about to be attacked by Evil Chicken. Click OK to continue". This Ditch won't solve problem, it will only give false sense of security for people that can't take care of themselves, and i believe any 13 years old would be smart enough to know what is true and too good to be true.

Happy jumping

PS. Pm me for beer :)

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs

Not only is the universe winning, it is completely pwning. Also, is there such a thing as the ditch of inteliigence in Scape-Rune? Thats where I would head if there was \'

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.