Tip.It Times Presents: The Ditch of Stupidity

Kiara_Kat

I think the ditch is a great idea. All we need to improve it is to fill it back up with dirt and plant some grass over it.

Pretty nice article. It was to the point. A lot of players just plain dislike this ditch. Unfortunately, they probably won't get rid of it because of all the work they put into making it.

Before they made this ditch though, they should have put a poll in to see if you would like it or not. They also should have made the poll available to f2p also because they would have also been influenced by the ditch.

tfssig.png

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, you do know that the main reason the ditch was put in place was because of the people doing the trading, running into wildy trick, and people following others into the wild not knowing; not because people's stupidity or anything of the liking... #-o

You guys should really be sure you know what your talking about when writing articles. :wall:

What? Did you not read the article? It mentions its purpose like 8 times.

Loved the Bob the Builder reference. That was exactly what I thought when I first saw it. They definately could have put a bit more into the design. Perhaps a fancy hedge to jump over?

I do like that they left the bridge from Edge to Varrock out of the wildy - makes Nat crafting a bit safer.

If they truely want to make the wildy safer (and I hope they don't), then they'll make PKing a skill. It could work like Slayer - you get xp for kills. And change the wildy rules so you could only attack players within certain CB levels AND PK levels. That way, everyone would train PKing and would understand the rules and tactics to use. Personally, I think that would take a lot of the fun out of PKing, but it would certainly make it safer. Of course, that would be a very cool skill cape to have! Maybe a skull and cross bones on a jet black background?

It's a good article. I don't agree with it though. It's true that the best way to learn not to touch a hot stove is to touch it and get burnt, but it's even better if the stove is somehow impossible to touch, then there's no way to get burnt. Jagex has found a way to make the stove impossible to touch.

Btw, I think I'll go world hop and look for somebody jumping back and forth across the ditch so I can figure out who the editor is :P

Nope, don't agree on some key points I'm afraid.

First of all the comparison between the real life stove and the game is flawed (and copied from another thread if I'm brutally honest). Real life cannot ever be entirely controlled whereas Jagex can do anything in their game they have in this case not told the players not to touch the stove, but removed the stove (and therefore potential touching) entirely.

Also (and this is a reply from previously noted thread that I take no credit for) any parent leaving their child around a hot stove has seriously questionable parenting skills.

The wildy needed a clearly defined boundary - the pop up message occurred only once per log in and the in game signposts were incredibly poorly placed - many were in fact inside the wild, or many squares out. The "click to cross" has also killed the trade-drag lure as previously stated.

Finally, to all the people shouting "OMG jagex keeps updating for the stupids" - do you really have so little respect for your fellow humans? Perhaps the anonymity of the internet is the reason for this - people are able to forget morals they would hold in real life - do you disagree with real life modifications to laws that are often to protect the weak, the uneducated or the downright stupid?

P.S. does the editor realise his/her hypocrisy condemning this "ditch of stupidity" when they themselves went against what jagex specifically said and tested out the new password blocker?

Man I get moody after work

The Ditch of Stupidity is a real pain...

Now its harder to make sure your challengers dont run off!

I had a guy in full steel and black dagger attack me and run, as soon as I challenged him 1 on 1 death match, he jumped the ditch, ran, and logged off.

The ditch is making it harder for us 'honest' pkers to have any fun <.<

That and theres a message that said you were going into the wild

if they die whos fault is it? Theres!

That and this new password thing wont stop anything.

You still see the armor trim scam going on even when there was a message about it when you logged onto the game. As it says theres no way around stupidity.

Sword_King05.gif

^Clicky For Blog^

I really don't have an opinion on the ditch. That's probably because Iv'e only gone into the wildy 15-20 times. And I admit, I tried out the password thing, but no one was around.

Very nice article though, I hope to see something about quests next week.

I think the ditch is a great idea. All we need to improve it is to fill it back up with dirt and plant some grass over it.

-------------------

lol

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Wow "The Editor" has really gone off his rocker this time.

"The Ditch of Stupidity" should have been there from day 1. Don't forget, this game is targeted at children. Children like to explore. Also, mean children like to trick the other children into doing something they wouldn't normally do. This new wilderness is a great asset to new and inexperienced players who are most frequently the victims of lurers and scammers.

I say Bravo Jagex, Job Well Done!

To "The Editor" I say, we were all newbies once, if you had started during Runescape 2 at a younger age and had no guidance you may very well have been one of those unfortunate enough to be lured into the wilderness or inadvertantly stumble in.

gildogg.png

In a world without fences, who needs GATES?

I agree with the editor. You will never learn until you screw up...

Several years ago, I fell for a trust scam, and lost my green mask (300k at the time). Now, that hurt at the time, but it wasn't too hard to make back, and I can guarantee you that if I hadn't fallen for that I would have fallen for another scam later, probably one that made me lose a LOT more (such as trading a phat for 150m feathers thinking they're 10 ea - an acquaintance of mine recently did that, lost a nice 75m :( )

As it is, since I fell for a scam early on, I learned my lesson and haven't been scammed since...protecting against a certain scam will never work, it will just develop a more sophisticated, more damaging scam (such as the fairly new willow scam, where they reduce the number they offer by a power of ten and play off people's lack of math skills)

To "The Editor" I say, we were all newbies once, if you had started during Runescape 2 at a younger age and had no guidance you may very well have been one of those unfortunate enough to be lured into the wilderness or inadvertantly stumble in.

And, had you been lured into the wilderness while you were a noob and didn't have very many valuables, you would have learned your lesson, while as things stand you would probably wind up falling for a more complicated and damaging scam later on...because pain truly is the most effective teacher.

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

Also (and this is a reply from previously noted thread that I take no credit for) any parent leaving their child around a hot stove has seriously questionable parenting skills.

You're obviously not a parent!

Kids can, and will, get into anything and everything faster than it takes to type that. Also, they need to learn the world can be dangerous -- keeping them in a padded crib all their childhood doesn't teach them that. The trick with parenting is not to eliminate all risk, but reduce it so that the lesson is learned with the minimum pain.

P.S. does the editor realise his/her hypocrisy condemning this "ditch of stupidity" when they themselves went against what jagex specifically said and tested out the new password blocker?

If you'd read the article, you'd see that while the editor did do exactly what Jagex said not to do -- as did I and a boatload of other people I'm sure. The editor said he made sure there was no one around to hear his password. I did the same too, except I was out in the Jungle south of Shilo.

It's not stupidity to test something like that -- unless you test it in the middle of a crowd of players and it doesn't work. Testing it in a secluded spot is the sort of research that people like Crewbies and the editor do all the time.

hugh_mannity.png

I thought this was a well written article. I haven't really had much experience yet with this ditch as I don't go into wildy much (i don't want to die..and I would very quickly). However, I know there have been a few instances when I've run across the border in the past by chance becasue i went the wrong way to get to somewhere or something. At least now I can choose to jump over it. (yeh yeh, i know there is a sign, but when you are on the border of the wilderness area, you cross in and out many times without realizing it after the first warning)

I, too, being the type to have to try things ran into a non-populated area to see what the new password thing did. I'd say probably 75% of the population in RS probably did this. lol

Anyways, like the article.

"it's frustrating when you know all the answers, but no one bothers to ask you the questions"

lostdreamer3.png

And, had you been lured into the wilderness while you were a noob and didn't have very many valuables, you would have learned your lesson, while as things stand you would probably wind up falling for a more complicated and damaging scam later on...because pain truly is the most effective teacher.

And again, you forget what it's like to be low level. Since a few of my cousin's friends have recently started playing Runescape I have re-learned that, for a level 20-40 character losing full addy, or even full mith, can be devistating, and take ages for them to replace.

gildogg.png

In a world without fences, who needs GATES?

Wow "The Editor" has really gone off his rocker this time.

"The Ditch of Stupidity" should have been there from day 1. Don't forget, this game is targeted at children. Children like to explore. Also, mean children like to trick the other children into doing something they wouldn't normally do. This new wilderness is a great asset to new and inexperienced players who are most frequently the victims of lurers and scammers.

I say Bravo Jagex, Job Well Done!

The ditch hasn't changed much in luring and scaming....

This is just the thing they want to create new and better scams

wait til they feel safe and then show them your never safe.

Theres a scam right now that targets whip holders

"I need to defeat someone in the wild who has a whip to get into a clan, can you help me?"

This acually happened to a friend of mine, the person who wanted helped dropped for d battles and ran off, once my friend picked them up he was forzena nd ddsed before he knew what hit him. Funny thing about it, dba's go for more on the games market (general store) then the whip, so he lost it.

Noobs arn't the only people falling for stuff so its not just the new players fault for the ditch, its everyone in general who falls for them. That and those who complain about dieing in the wild when they knew what would happen if they did...

A message used to come up when you got near the wild, unless they were there earlier they KNEW they would be in the wild where they could be attacked, so who needs the ditch which makes crossing into the wild harder for people who know what there doing.

Also, theres a rule against luring now, so the ditch wasn't needed to stop that <.<

Sword_King05.gif

^Clicky For Blog^

You're obviously not a parent!

I must admit you have me there :P 17 and proud, although I did say it was another person's statement and I guess I agreed with it as during my childhood I was forbidden from things like that and did actually obey; I guess this is not always the case - apologies for the blanket statement :) .

It's not stupidity to test something like that -- unless you test it in the middle of a crowd of players and it doesn't work. Testing it in a secluded spot is the sort of research that people like Crewbies and the editor do all the time.

Seems I was a bit ambiguous again, my point was that people will always try out and poke holes in things (for research reasons, stupidity or otherwise) and that the ditch was implicated due to this. Sorry again for any ambivalence - work, school, football and general lateness takes its toll :D

"The more Jagex protects players from the consequences of their own greed, sloth, or stupidity, then the longer it will take them to learn how to take care of themselves both online and in real life."

Thank you editor, I had this exact same thought while working on an essay on RS's problems, but you phrased it much better than I could.

I haven't seen the ditch yet, but it sounds fairly stupid. Couldn't they at least have made it, like... a rift, or something? A fault line? Something that fits in with the story (god wars) a little better?

I can see the whole puppy training thing. A very long time ago, I feel for the "z0e emm gee!!111 jag3x blocks ur p4ss l0ock ******" scam. I lost my account, then made a new one. I have never been scammed out of anything since. I guess I hopped onto the learning curb lol, but I am suprised on how many players are missing it...

Any fool can write a rule, but any fool will mind it

--Thoreau

daskos99.png

Flickr