Tip.It Times Presents: All Great Achievements Require Time

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

All Great Achievements Require Time

The Editor

One of the problems I find with a game the size and scope of RuneScape is remembering where everything is and how many things there are to do in a particular area. The recently added Achievement Diary gives you a good reason to wander around an area and do a few things you might otherwise not get around to. Whether...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I'd like to point out is that, as best I can interpret the rules, there is one single circumstance when account sharing is allowed, and that is when a child under the age of 13 is playing on thier parent's account, under the supervision of that parent.

A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT PRETEENS AND USERS UNDER 18

If you are under 13 years old, you must not create an account. We don't knowingly permit anyone under 13 to use this website. Nor do we knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from preteens. Internet safety experts have advised that preteens do not fully appreciate the risk of providing too much personal information online or communicating with strangers they encounter online. And the game difficulty level is for teenagers and older. While we appreciate that many preteens would want to use our websites, we urge parents to instruct their children not to lie about their age so as to be able to use our websites before they are old enough. Instead, we recommend that parents set up an account and play together with their preteens who are otherwise too young to play the Game. Many parents have reported that playing the Game as a family is fun and rewarding. Then when your children are 13 they will be ready for their own account.

If you are under 18, by using our website you are representing (i.e. making a promise) that you have permission from your parents or legal guardian to use our sites and to our terms and conditions and privacy policy. We reserve the right to Terminate any account if we are not satisfied that such permission has been given.

If we are notified by a parent that their preteen has lied about their age when registering on our site, we will Terminate the account provided we have confirmation which satisfies us that the reporting person is indeed the parent.

Parents can find more information about the Game and how to contact us in the Parents' Guide section of our Knowledge Base.

This was what I was pointed to when I sent JaGEx a query about their marketing the "Official RuneScape Handbook" to a 9-12 age group. I can't give the full reply since the message is confidential, but in a nutshell JaGEx wants to let parents decide whether children under the age of 13 are ready to play the game under the supervision of the parent, thus placing the responsibility for any disclosure of personal information or whatever in the court of the parents, rather than JaGEx.

I just thought it was interesting that there is an apparent exception to the account sharing rule (to my best interpretation of the clause in the terms and conditions, as well as the rest of the response I recieved).

EDIT: What is the point of posting "Second post"? I can't see that it adds anything to a possible discussion or whatever..."Sounds good" isn't much better but at least it doesn't admit to being a post for the sake of a post :shame:

EDIT #2: I also agree with the poster below me that the article didn't particularly make linear sense...it seemed to jump around quite a bit, and be more like several mini-articles than one cohesive article.

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

Um, what? First you talk about achievement diaries, then macroing, then real world trading. That article didn't make sense. Well, it made sense, just not linear sense.

I would put a cool link here but I don't know how.

Editor- well, and wittily, said! We'll never know how many people would benifit from taking this article to heart. =D>

Regarding RWITs, the fact that they're buying their way to the top doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is that they agreed to a contract, and broke it. Breaking a contract, with JaGEx or anyone else, will lose you ALL respectability in my eyes.

So, if all these people are willing to break rules instead of switching to a game that allows RWITing, then that's quite a testament to Runescape's charm and endearingness. Isn't it?

Maybe I meant... addictive qualities? XD

All I can say is: =D>

Very nice read. I agree with everything you say. I love the way you were so honest about things and the way you spoke your mind. Job well done!

And it's about time that there's another article.

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

I have to admit I was a bit thrown by the jumping around of topics in the article also. That being said, here are my opinions.

I think the Achievement Diaries are great. I haven't finished all my tasks yet, but it's nice to take a break from training and do something a little different.

My kids made their accounts before the 13 and under rule came out. I agree that SOME preteens, may not appreciate all the dangers of being online, but I also think that there are many who are more net savvy than their parents. We're probably one of the rare cases where mom and dad started playing and the kids wanted to try it too. We have two computers, so instead of standing over their shoulders, I'm able to interact with them in the game and see how they're behaving. After 2 and a half years of all of us playing, I can brag and say that none of us has any black marks and my daughter, now 12, has been a P Mod for 5 months.

pretty_baby0.png

The day that GP can be bought in Real life will be the day that I stop playing runescape. I work hard for every GP I earn, and it wouldnt sit well \ with me when Mr Rich turns around and buy's himself levels with his 'real' money.

Also, pretty, I am sure your children are very good players, but most under 13's that do play RS are clearly nowhere as mature as yours. Personally the part of runescape I enjoy the least is the amount of children tha really are not maure enough to interact with other people that still play RS.

Evil-1.png

I also agree with what you say. The thing is, some people make a life out of runescape instead of runescape being a part of their life(gold farmers)...This is honestly sad. But what is most sad about it, is that these people exist because there are morons out their willing to spend their hard-earned(assumed) cash to advance in a video game.

Some argue that this is no different then members, paying cash for a video game. This is much different. Members you're paying for an expansion of the game, paying for items is paying for someone else to play the game for you.

The truth is, if the rich (or ill-witted) people who feel they would spend $500 on runescape for the ability to be in the top of the highscores would quit and just play the game and not worry about highscores, then the autoer population would fall drastically, and the game would be made a much better place for everyone else. Instead these people choose to ruin the game.

w4M8t.png

Um, what? First you talk about achievement diaries, then macroing, then real world trading. That article didn't make sense. Well, it made sense, just not linear sense.

I have to admit I was a bit thrown by the jumping around of topics in the article also. That being said, here are my opinions.

I agree this article jumped through to many topics without giving enough connection to justify the change in topic. It was confusing really. This wasn't the editors best article and from the way if was written, I would venture to say that the article was started by one author and finished by another for one reason or another, this would also account for the week delay in its release.

If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.

Of course, playing the game for the sole purpose of that is not way to go. Occasionally while trying hard to accomplish a hard goal, there is no harm with such practice, in fact during those times such a mindset may be the way to further motivate you for the immense grinding you need to do.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

The day that GP can be bought in Real life will be the day that I stop playing runescape. I work hard for every GP I earn, and it wouldnt sit well \ with me when Mr Rich turns around and buy's himself levels with his 'real' money.

ummm i hate to break it too u but that day came like 5 years ago.

he was refering to them as he got to the point (hint:read the article insted of skimming)

anyway good read i totaly suport your opinon :thumbsup: (exept for that remark about scaping like a noob, you arn't a noob when u play the right way)

and i have a little confeson, i once tryed to cheat but then i realized how much of a jerk i wus for trying, and now i'm folow the rules like i folow the law

guyx5000.png

guth8os.gif

be yourself because you suck at being that guy

he was refering to them as he got to the point (hint:read the article insted of skimming)

I read the whole article and it made little since as I said before I may venture to say that one author started the article and another author finished it, the article just kind of changed pace and mood if you get what I mean.

Nice article. In response to real world trading:

Guy: OMG! I just found a site where I can buy a mil for $4!!

Me: OMG! I just found an idiot who would trade real money for fake money!!

:wall:

Technically its like buying a monopoly game you pay really money for some cardboard and some fake money.

Beautiful article. But something that I think annoys me is that the rules everyone agrees to are not followed as well. I mean sure.. everyone has possibly broken a rule or two, said a few things to someone that isn't holy, I am guilty of that.

But the problem with Jagex is putting their game on a gamesite frequented by 'younger' players is sure to get more people that don't read the terms and conditions and such. It's a book to read through all of them for some people, but I really wish 'most' of the kids in the game were cleaned out. Most of them only cause trouble (and don't call me a kid basher or anything, i'm talking about all players that are forced to beg)

Tougher rules need to be inforced for begging and such, just like the girlfriend/boyfriend rule introduced recently.

Jaskkes.png

Well, maybe if you put the words together and thought about them, you would understand what they meant. :roll:

My F2P Moneymaking Guide!

Always gargle before a takeoff. Wakka Wakka!

Technically its like buying a monopoly game you pay really money for some cardboard and some fake money.

No....monopoly is tangible....

I agree with everything the editor said except the part that if you feel compelled to win and beat other people's scores your playing the wrong game. I go pking pretty often and as most peope do, I feel "compelled" to beat the other person and take their items. I would also like being able to be able to beat people's scores on the high scores. Thats what make runescape fun for me, gettting skills higher than other people and still realizing there are many players that could easily call you a noob and making you have an urge to get your stats higher than them.

Very well written! Probably the best article yet. =D> If you don't understand it: Either don't skim, or try actually reading it with enough concentration for those little symbols that some of us like to call "letters" and "words" and "sentences" register in that lump of grayish jelly between your ears... Each of the different subtopics helped build toward the final point, but I guess I'm just a 'n3rdzy l177l3 n000bletz0rz' for understanding that.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

Wow, this really jumped from topic to topic a lot. It looked like a lot of extra stuff was added to make it the length that it is. It seems like the editor is running out of ideas. After all, it's hard to come up with a new topic to write about every week for almost two years. (This is the 89th article if I counted right).

This Editor(s) speaks the truth. I completely agree with most everything you said. Especially the part about being proud about having your own skills. Was that in the article or in a reply? Eh, I agree with it anyway.

One thing that's particularly sad for me is that none of these people really care about the junk they buy. To them stuff they buy, like programs or RS gold, is just a shiny toy they play with until they get bored.

They'll never fully appreciate how great it feels to, for example, get full Dragon through combat, or discover faster ways to craft nature runes. Should they achieve something like that all the fun of doing it will be lost on them because they didn't do it themselves. Of course I can't say I fully appreciate how it feels to get full Dragon through combat either but at least I'll have the chance to. ::'

Black coffee is my ally, green tea is my friend. Excuse me, I need to use the bathroom.

Don't call random people noobs. You've got nothing to gain and teeth to lose.

Insanity runs in my family. We get it from our parents, but it's not hereditary...

You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

You who stand against the darkness... get the **** out of my way!