Tip.It Times Presents: All Great Achievements Require Time

Kiara_Kat

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. I don't feel that I was the target audience of this article. I accepted what the author said (Though I do disagree with the statement about 'you may be playing the wrong game' if you are worried about competitiveness, which is total bullcrockery imo, because many people I know enjoy competitiveness) but I felt like it was lost on me.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

I dont think that the article jumps around to much. The editor started by exporing the new update, and relating it to the present conditions in the game. Rules are rules, and even though that they can be easy to break sometimes, the satisfaction of not breaking them is what makes playing games like runescape worth while. =D>

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

Um, what? First you talk about achievement diaries, then macroing, then real world trading. That article didn't make sense. Well, it made sense, just not linear sense.

LOL, If you go back and read most of the Times articles written by "The Editor" you will see that 99.9% of them are that way. I think "The Editor" has Adult AD/HD.

gildogg.png

In a world without fences, who needs GATES?

This is exactly what I have been say to people. When I see People useing bots to level or asking for free money/stuff it ticks me off. I could not do that becasue it woul not feel right. I know when I look at my lvl 62 mining that it was me who got me there. Yes, 62 is not that high of a level in a skill but for me it is. If I had botted to 99 I still would not feel the same as if I have mined to 62.

Also, people that buy things with real money sicken me. Where is the sence of acomplishment? where is the pride in knowing you earned your first set of rune armor, or what ever it is you wanted? I know when I had sat there for a few days mining and saveing all the iron ore, then selling it and buying my first full rune, it felt amazing. All of a sudden I dident feel so noobish. These people that bot or buy there money/items should feel like crap inside. Its like when you were younger and you played doom with god mode on with all weapons and keys, it just was not the same as beating it on nightmare with nothing but a shotgun.

If you need to break the rules to play a game desined for people as young as 13 year, you need profetional help. :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

.signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you If

Really good article.

I've heard it said that perhaps Jagex should allow people to trade items in the real world.

For all the people interested: This is the article he is talking about.

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.

i feel that this shoud sound like:

If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win by any means, like macroing/buying with real cash rs cash/scaming, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.

no offence editor, but IMHO most of us fantasized for 3 seconds to be in the place of . i KNOW i can't get anywhere near there (by skilling in the normal ways) in the next 10 years unless everybody else that plays rs quits now :P.

i know that, and i settle myself to wishing little achievable things, like getting all skills 70+ (only 6 to go :D).

i got to 80 crafting by normal skilling, and i feel satisfaction from the fact that i can make glory's for my friends or for me. but it would spoil that, it would make it meaningless, because there would be no distinction between my long hours spent in rs and someone that just bought that with real cash (or other methods). the same applies to other skills too (at least for me).

blue_1979.png

You're all ignoring one part of that sentence:

If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game.

He didn't say "If you want to lvl up go away." He said that if you're so obsessed with lvling up that you would buy gold or characters for rl money, then go find another game.

Sadly the Editor remains unable to actually address why Real World Item Trading is so bad. I can basically summarize his whole arguement as "it is against the rules and thus shouldn't be done". Those who read my article should know that I actually agree with that.

However, RWIT being against the rules does not mean it is actually morally wrong itself. While that is exactly what I argue against and what you are clearly unable to defend apparently.

Real Life law has had rules that encouraged anything from discrimination to violence. Defending a rule with the fact that it is currently a rule is extremely weak argumentation and a reasoning fallacity called circular reasoning.

The bottom line is, it's a game. We play for fun.

Exactly the reason why I don't get why people care so much about what others do.

There's no requirement to do anything, get to any level, complete any quest ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ well, OK there are quests you have to complete to get access to certain aspects and areas of the game, but in general, everything in RuneScape is purely what we want to do. If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game. I, on the other hand intend to go on ignoring the existence of metal dragons and various other imposing monsters and continue to 'scape like a newb.

You seem to agree here with one of my main arguements for allowance of RWIT, being that RuneScape is essentially not a competitive game and that the game is what you make of it. It's a Virtual World. It has no starting conditions nor ending conditions.

The Editor wrote:

Exactly the reason why I don't get why people care so much about what others do.

One of the reasons that it is fun is that we can compete against others. RS is fair as it is, but the real world's system of money isn't fair because some people are born richer than others. If somebody buys their skills or gold with real money, they are making the game more fun for themself, one person, while spoiling it for many more than one.

Sure it's a game, but we invest real time and real effort into improving our characters, and to see that being bought for a measly $10 by some rich kid that didn't even earn his money is unfair and disheartening.

Personaly the authors writing style was not persuasive enough to sway me from the excelent point that Duke posted on runehead editorials. A new system of legal gold trading would reduce macros, not effect the economy, and raise commonly macroed items prices back close to their original. I understand you would find it unfair, that people older are richer and would thus give them a slight avantage. Yet the fact that they still have to train the stat is still in effect, just faster is all. This is not allowing macros at all and would not cheat their way to the top. Its not paying their way to the highscores either, also people spending that much money would be such a small percentage. Just as a small percentage get the special treatment in real life and get born into old money that their parents worked hard for.

You are talking of a Utopian society in your writing, although for most what you say applies. Many people can go quickly to the top and get their special treatment. Im sorry to tell you its just not as easy as you state it as.

The benefits just are much higher than any issues, such as the one you stated.

black_firexp.png

Sadly the Editor remains unable to actually address why Real World Item Trading is so bad. I can basically summarize his whole arguement as "it is against the rules and thus shouldn't be done". Those who read my article should know that I actually agree with that.

However, RWIT being against the rules does not mean it is actually morally wrong itself. While that is exactly what I argue against and what you are clearly unable to defend apparently.

Real Life law has had rules that encouraged anything from discrimination to violence. Defending a rule with the fact that it is currently a rule is extremely weak argumentation and a reasoning fallacity called circular reasoning.

There's no requirement to do anything, get to any level, complete any quest ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ well, OK there are quests you have to complete to get access to certain aspects and areas of the game, but in general, everything in RuneScape is purely what we want to do. If you're not having fun, if you feel compelled to win, to beat other people's scores, then maybe you're playing the wrong game. I, on the other hand intend to go on ignoring the existence of metal dragons and various other imposing monsters and continue to 'scape like a newb.

You seem to agree here with one of my main arguements for allowance of RWIT, being that RuneScape is essentially not a competitive game and that the game is what you make of it. It's a Virtual World. It has no starting conditions nor ending conditions.

Btw, nicely said

black_firexp.png

I've heard it said that perhaps Jagex should allow people to trade items in the real world.

For all the people interested: This is the article he is talking about.

If Ltje is correct in that The Editor spent half of this article elaborating his response to the RuneHead article - it is usually good practice to reference or link to it so readers can read both arguments. Example:

I've heard it said that perhaps Jagex should allow people to trade items in the real world (1).

(1) Real World Item Trading: The Crack Down

After reading the title I thought this would be a good article. Focusing on all the factors going towards getting a 99 skill. However, again I find myself reading a rant containing things that have been said all before. People are worrying too much about the rules nowadays, most of us are honest players. We shouldn't be concerned about the rule breakers, it doesn't affect our gaming (well, most of the time). Plus, they have paid people at Jagex for dealing with those sorts anyway.

Let's start focusing on what we're here for, the game. After all, in life we don't obsess ourselves with all the bad things in the world.

tipitsigtd0.png

2kshortmn1.png

The editor really did a good job of writing excatly how I feel about Runescape, it was almost as if I was reading my own opinion. It would be nice if every person who played RS could read what he wrote this time, a lot of people might scoff at it, but you would be amazed at how many people would agree with it and it would might even change a few minds. A lot of thought went into the editors work this time, great job!

Current goal: Getting enough prayer pots to finish my last four quests.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies and flashlights.

jt+mirage.png

too jumpy for my liking. some good points in the article, but in my eyes they dont tie together well enough. i agree with the point earlier, it seems very much like stream of consciousness, and comes across as very incoherent.

that said, rules are there to be followed, not broken, and the day jagex allows realworld trading is the day i quit. i cant stop it happenning, but jagex can slow it down. i earned the money i have. i earned the levels i have. im working on my theiving at the moment (74/99 whooo!!!) and when i hit 99 i will know that i got there by myself. i earned it. of course i could get a friend to do it, but its not my theiving then is it? its someone elses.

in response to the realworld trading article by duke_freedom, "However, RWIT being against the rules does not mean it is actually morally wrong itself" i have to disagree.in life you work for things, and you learn by doing things yourself. how can you ever really understand the value of money until you've earnt it through your own hard work and sweat? runescape, in this case is no different. i would not give a child a million pounds in real life because they would end up with no concept of value, money, and they wouldnt feel the satisfaction that any achievement brings. runescape is the same. ok so you just spent ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20 to buy the rs gold to get a dchain. congratulations. but you didnt earn it, you have no idea what that money is worth, as those of us who work for it do, and in my opinion, you dont deserve that chain, or any of the money you bought.

sometimes there are days when i really want to hit you..... this is one of those days

Im thinking the article is misunderstood, people are thinking this issue is of macros or having others train your account, or even buying accounts. I do not think, correct me if im wrong, that this article is dealing with those issue. Is dealing with selling gp and using that to train such stats.

black_firexp.png

I think The Editor is losing his/her touch. The article was jumping from topic to topic and used so much circular reasoning I almost closed the article before I finished. Not to mention all of this had been said before; it's just another rant. I expected more from a Tip.It Time's article. A good point was also made earlier in this thread: Most of this article was in response to one of Runehead's editorials, by Duke_Freedom. The Editor should have provided a link in reference and so the readers could see A VERY VALID other side of the story.

too jumpy for my liking. some good points in the article, but in my eyes they dont tie together well enough. i agree with the point earlier, it seems very much like stream of consciousness, and comes across as very incoherent.

that said, rules are there to be followed, not broken, and the day jagex allows realworld trading is the day i quit. i cant stop it happenning, but jagex can slow it down. i earned the money i have. i earned the levels i have. im working on my theiving at the moment (74/99 whooo!!!) and when i hit 99 i will know that i got there by myself. i earned it. of course i could get a friend to do it, but its not my theiving then is it? its someone elses.

in response to the realworld trading article by duke_freedom, "However, RWIT being against the rules does not mean it is actually morally wrong itself" i have to disagree.in life you work for things, and you learn by doing things yourself. how can you ever really understand the value of money until you've earnt it through your own hard work and sweat? runescape, in this case is no different. i would not give a child a million pounds in real life because they would end up with no concept of value, money, and they wouldnt feel the satisfaction that any achievement brings. runescape is the same. ok so you just spent ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20 to buy the rs gold to get a dchain. congratulations. but you didnt earn it, you have no idea what that money is worth, as those of us who work for it do, and in my opinion, you dont deserve that chain, or any of the money you bought.

I am not sure you were getting his point. People born in real life with lots money DO NOT have to work hard. Some do, but a lot do not. Runescape RWIT is exactly like buying your way to the top in real life. I do not understand what you were trying to say.

"the real world " . . . since when was the real world trademarked, and why did you suddenly feel the need to trademark it? Are you trying to make it so that we have to pay you royalties everytime we use the real world? That would really make you are heartless heartless greedy jerk . Now crawl back into your slimey cave or I shall get out my instant death ray and smite you with it. Sorry for that i've just been through a site where they run tm jokes into the Cold Hard Ground and they're still funny.

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.

Great article. I can not find anything that I disagree with, although the flow between thoughts could have been a bit better, but who really cares? One of the best articles yet, and rather entertaining.

Side note: Wish the "Did You Know" tip was a little better

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

Another good lecture . . . I mean article from the tip.it editor. I think it's greay because no one has EVER touched on real world item trading especially not you :roll: . Are you really that desperate that you have to repeat sermons/lectures/articles again and again? Maybe you should just have a big sign in front these real world aritcles that says 1st in a series of 23. Or are you just trying to entice duke freedom to another debate?

fathertime89.png

Smithing-48 strength-66 Ranged-47 Magic-55

Humor is reason gone mad- Groucho Marx

I am a nobody and nobody is perfect, therefore I am perfect.