Everything posted by fastortoise
-
God- discussion of any Godly/religous issues.
They contradict each other from their bases. We can and do live together, we don't have much choice, but working together is irrational. Walka's example of God being a life catalyst but not an everyday life controller is Deism, as opposed to theism. The differences between both are apparent when you read old studies about human nature. Before, when God was thought to control everything (Revelation dominates reason), human behaviour was described as "should we be doing this". With the rise of deism, human behaviour was just described (Reason over revelation). Of course they can work together: in both examples your get the same results. It's just a different kind on thinking.
-
God- discussion of any Godly/religous issues.
You're blaming scientists? Look, it's almost impossible to publish something that is wrong. Peer-review will weed out any cheaters. Even one of the most famous psychologists, Cybil Burt, was caught to have fudged data and his theories were thrown in the garbage (although after his lifetime). It's not like Darwin published his book and everyone accepted it with open arms - he spent the rest of his life defending it. Generations of physicists tried proving Einstein wrong but all his data and theories were solid, they would not have been accepted otherwise. It would be naive of me to believe peer-review is the perfect failsafe to human mistakes - there will always be problems and cracks in the system. But to go out and attacking such greatly funded and studied things like global warming's effects and evolution based on the scientists work is wrong. If anyone is to blame for overhyping global warming, its the media. There may be an academic scientist or two who blabs false theories to the media but they are always frowned upon for their want of public fame. University scientists/professors (pretty much all those who advocate evolution & global warming) do not have a secret plot to control society by publishing bad data. That's just not how academia works. On the other hand, oil companies have their own scientists with more shaky moral foundations that don't mind being public about their data and formulated theories without any sort of peer review and the public just gobbles it up.
-
When you see it...
Internet explorer + bing as search engine double fail :thumbdown:
-
Today...
He pretty much wasted everyones time when he could've just as easily moved one of the two on bed 1 to bed 2, which is what ends up happening. Anyways, tonight was my last night in intense studying. One exam and four hour lab left tomorrow then i'm on SPRRIIIIING BREAAAAAAAK!!! :thumbsup:
-
God- discussion of any Godly/religous issues.
I think we can all agree that trying to make you understand why your post is so fatally facepalming would be futile. However, I should say, if you think the paradigm in which ALL of biology is making it's headway in is something to laugh at, then doesn't that hint to you that you're a giant moron?
-
God- discussion of any Godly/religous issues.
Whenever I see people writing huge essays about things like these I can't help thinking that they just need to take a philosophical step or two backwards. I just can't find the will to get into debates about things that are not worth debating anymore, either because I'm becoming increasingly busy in everyday life or maybe I just realize that it really doesn't matter whether a god exists or not.
-
Best workout for me?
10 minutes of cardio before a workout is a really good idea. I used to do that all the time before each workout but ever since I've stopped (recently) I noticed a big loss in flexibility. I guess I could just stretch more, but cardio is more physically demanding and... better.
-
Diabetes
Huh, I didn't know you could 'get' type 1, I thought that was (close to) 100% hereditary.
-
Olympics
lol, are you watching canada's women team vs swedens right now? They're absolutely dominating them woooo Canada, already 2 gold medals :thumbsup:
-
What animal your own weight can you beat in barehand combat
You are now the guy from Harvest Moon
-
What animal your own weight can you beat in barehand combat
I'd definitely be dead :rolleyes: . I could stand a chance if they didn't have a killing mindset, but yeah. Actually, this reminds of of a .gif where there's a lion that charges a man at top speed and the man just as it pounces the man steps aside and pushes the lion away. It could have been trained but they were in the wild so I dunno.
-
Organic Compounds found in Meteorite
I was taught that there were only 20 amino acids that make up life in general, so this too astonished me. I guess it was naive of me to think that there are only 20 that actually existed, whilst it was perfectly possible for them to not be used but still exist. Don't get confused people - this experiment was probably not the first to identify other, non-used amino acids. It's just the first time I've heard of them.
-
Olympics
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: excellent.
-
which whey shakes do you take?
That's what I use. It's super expensive though. Yeah, after this tub is done I'm going shopping for the most dirt cheap protein powder out there. My tub is gonna last surprisingly long though - it says it has only 10 servings but that only counts if you use 150g per serving, which I don't, and I only have a shake after my workouts, not 3 times a day. So maybe I'll stick with the Cyto if I like the results, after all.
- Today...
- Today...
-
New Australian internet censorship
I don't like the thought that governments are starting to think about fiddling in my intertubes. PROXY TO THE NETHERLANDS
-
Live Concerts
Sold my Bon Jovi tickets for a nice buck, I'll use the money to go to less well known band live concerts. Big things like Bell Center concerts are never as fun as when they're in the clubs anyways :mrgreen:
-
What did you do today?
Just came back from playing outdoor hockey with some friends. Crazy cardio exercise, we played for like 3 hours straight. I also pwned my friend into the boards without even touching him :thumbsup: great success
-
RE: Mental Challenge: Systemic Circulation!
...but the transition from venule to arterioles is the most important part :shame: It's amusing knowing how inefficient we are at breathing compared to reptiles.
-
School
Nailed my organic midterm. I still can't believe I figured out what the chemical structure of urea was based on what other structures he gave us on other, completely irrelevant questions. Thought process: -Urea definitely has Nitrogen in it, I learnt this is bio. So it has an amine group. -It's probably not an alkane, it's too soluble -Soluble eh... probably has a carbonyl group or could be an ether.. -Another question had an ether in it, so it's not that -I'm pretty sure it's non-polar, or else he'd have mentioned it. So two amine groups attached to carbonyl maybe? BANG it's a diamine ketone. Gosh I'm smart.
-
Help me achieve my goal in time for Prom Tip.It: ***Week 1 results***
Whenever I talk about benching, I either say the total weight in lbs (including the bar) or the weight of just one side. For example, I can bench one plate (45 lbs) or I can bench 135 lbs. Most of the time I just say how much I'm putting on one side thought.
-
Today...
I'm so [bleep]ing stupid. I poured water into my protein shake cup then measured 3 scoops of the powder and placed in in the cup as well. The stuff made a tiny floating mound in the cup but I also got some on the sides and so I tried blowing it off. The entire mound flew up into my face and into my eyes, on my keyboard, in my mouse, went all over my desk and in my headphones. My eyes can't stop watering and I'm sneezing like there's no tomorrow. [bleep] I'm dumb
-
My Progress
So I've started taking protein supplements & decided to chart my weight gains over the next couple of months. It's hard to get accurate readings since I go to the gym at different times of the day, but I'm hoping to get a nice trendline by the end of the month. I'll probably upload a picture when it's been 12 months since the first pic. Also, major benefit: Girl at party says "ooo you have nice biceps" and squeezes my arm. I shake her off and tell her I'm not a hooker, she tells me that I should be. I think about it for a second and reply "I'll let you take a squeeze if you get me a beer" and it WORKED. I don't ever have to get up to get a beer again. That alone made my 8 months of hard work worth it :)
-
Favorite thing about the opposite sex?
They're also good at fetching me beers. She can open beer bottles without whining? Marry her.