Olympics

Georgelemmons

Well, they're off! Not quite as expected, though. So far, these have been the warmest Winter Olympics on record, with an average temperature of 47 degrees, a mere 4 degrees colder than Jacksonville, Florida. The slope groomers in Vancouver are actually trucking in snow to cover the hills, and RAIN made the courses too wet that the first women's ski event had to be delayed. In addition, earlier today, a Georgian luge team member skidded off of Whistler track, considered one of the fastest in the world, collided with a pole, and tragically died. The entire event was caught on video, but I see no reason to post it here. There was previously some debate about the safety of the course, and whether the events there will continue remains to be seen. The Georgian team opted to still compete to honor their lost friend.

But I don't just want to bash Vancouver :^_^:. I'm really looking forward to some events, especially Shaun White on the halfpipe. Any thoughts on exciting events or the problems so far?

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Opening Ceremony was amazing. I loved their presentations. I find it funny that the torch was the only part that had a mechanicle failure though. The most important part of the ceremonies and one of the arms fails. Good thing the torch itself didn't fail. :lol:

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Ah the ceremonies were almost perfect! If only the hydraulics didn't fail on one of the torch arms inside BC Place. Even so the opening ceremonies exceeded all my expectations and it was really a great performance. They also did a nice job paying respects to the luger from Georgia who died after the accident earlier in the day.

If only it would stop raining here. The El Niño weather has prevented it from snowing the one time we need it the most!

Missed the opening ceremony and i'll most likely miss most of the televised coverage, which is unlucky. :mellow:

Saw the whole luge thing though, really awful way to start such a massive event (or any event for that matter).

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Guest Mrmegakirby

Yeah. The bloody torch doesn't work. The most important part, and it messes up. Someone's getting fired. And I thought alot of the opening dances/singing acts were horrible.

I thought the Opening Ceremony was a little boring; earlier yesterday, I was checking out the website and I read-up on Biathlon, which now looks really fun to me. There's some televised coverage of it later today, and I think I might go watch it.

:thumbup:

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Anyone know if there is anywhere I might be able to watch the opening ceremonies? I missed them for a concert.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Canada got its first medal today. Silver Medal in women's mogels. She was predicted to get gold, so was a little disappointed :(

On a side note: Went downtown today to check out the atmosphere, was absolutely amazing. A little disappointed of the viewing of the Olympic Flame, you couldn't get anywhere near it, and it had a good 15ft fence all around.

[hide]IMG00019-20100213-1740.jpg[/hide]

The Olympics should really be shown live, every time I go to ESPN.com or something or here for that matter, someone will post some sort or result that basically spoils the events for me.. Like finding out about the mechanically malfunction with the torch I read here about 15 minutes before I was able to see it. Not really anyones fault though, but I would have just assumed since I'm in Arizona, an hour ahead of Vancouver I would be fortunate to see all the events live but apparently that isn't the case.. Sorry for the rant but it needed to be said.

tFtfA.jpg

Last night I watched Canada kill Slovakia in women's hockey, 18-0 like mentioned above... I don't get why the last team had to play the best team first. Tomchikova (Slovakia's goalie) still had an amazing save percentage, something like 80%; she had like 70 some shots on goal, and only let 18 through. If I was Canada I'd be feeling kind of bad about it... If I was Slovakia I'd be pretty proud of them.

And I randomly decided I don't like Canada's goalie because she picked #33 because of Patrick Roy, who I hate. And that I want Tomchikova's mask, because it has the Olympic mascots on it.

Looking forward to USA vs China today at 3. Hoping for a slaughter similar to Canada/Slovakia in which USA wins.

The Opening Ceremony was amazing. I loved their presentations. I find it funny that the torch was the only part that had a mechanicle failure though. The most important part of the ceremonies and one of the arms fails. Good thing the torch itself didn't fail. :lol:

I thought the opening ceremonies were less then Sub par this year. Especially after Beijing. The only part I enjoyed was the whales. Poetry Canada, really? And that woman in the gold dress singing was so annoying. I thought it was a bad showing by Canada. Very boring. Please give Canada some tips Beijing.

Kriegsig1copy2b.jpg

I thought the opening ceremonies were less then Sub par this year. Especially after Beijing. The only part I enjoyed was the whales. Poetry Canada, really? And that woman in the gold dress singing was so annoying. I thought it was a bad showing by Canada. Very boring. Please give Canada some tips Beijing.

Not everyone needs to spend $400M on an opening ceremony :smile:

I thought it was fine.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

anyone see canadian men's hockey play last night

Decent game, was a little nervous in the first period. The most important thing to come out of that game was chemistry, and the players learning to play with one another. In such a short tournament, chemistry is huge.